Any love for Jan Žižka?

Any love for Jan Žižka?

>Wore an eyepatch, blind in one eye.
>Fights as a Czech mercenary at the battle of Grundwald against the Teutonics, in 1410 at age 50.
>Natural leader of the Czech Hussite (church reformist) movement against the Pope and "Holy" "Roman" "Empire"
>won
>undefeated
>Germanics BTFO
>excellent military strategist

taborites were generaly based as fuck

what happened, why they loose in the end?

No one remember this guy coz most of his battles are insignificant and they changed nothing the whole European map.

"Poles are filth"

- Jan Zizka

You're welcome for all the help.

as usual, the revolution devours its own children
the moderate wing of the hussites struck a deal
and everyone said okay - except the radical wing
which got defeated

I read a theory that he also fought at Agincourt on English side as a mercenary.

Based war wagons

Is it me or is there just one dude doing all these Zizka threads and posts.

I like him, but it seems like only czechs really give a shit about the dude.

So the forrest gump of the 15th century? Sauce?

I think Czechs will always remember this guy though. Most based Czech historical figure?

Please tell me this is true... HNNGG

Zizka or Karel (Charles) IV

>We were Holy Roman Emperors and shiet!

>Is it me or is there just one dude doing all these Zizka threads and posts.
yes
>I like him, but it seems like only czechs really give a shit about the dude.
yes

I like Přemysl. Otakar II. better. I even have a copy of his seal (not here with me now). Also PO II. was supposed to become the emperor but he refused because he was the mightiest nigga in the empire anyway and it would only mean extra worries for him. Also "king of iron and gold" is a cool nickname.

an 1837 austrian encyclopedia claims that he took part in the battle, and a couple of fr/en 19th century encyclopedias mention him but seem to have just copied the austrian one

remember this would be at a time when he was still more or less a nobody, a local noble, not a hussite warlord, so his presence would not be far fetched

that alone is not particularly noteworthy

however, his signature and seal are missing from a document signed by some 500 other nobles and supporters of jan hus at roughly the same time, suggesting that zizka was out of the country

a minor tidbit is that zizka might have witnessed the effect of rough terrain on heavily armored formations there, a tactic he himself successfully employed a couple of times, most notably in the battle of sudomer

however, his name does not feature in the english accounting documents from the battle

and at the time of the signing of the aforementioned document, he might have been in the service of the king, meaning he might not have been able to sign it

and we also have way more reliable evidence of his other foreign exploits at grunwald, as in chronicles, records, mentions - as opposed to, well, nothing about azincourt

so the bottom line is that maybe, and it is a very big maybe, he was at azincourt

but even if he was, it would not have been a big deal by any means

Some (trustworthy) English sources mention it, then also there is Žižka's seal missing on the protest note against the burning of Hus meaning he had to be outside of Czechia at the time. And Agincourt is similar to the battle of Sudoměř, which might mean he knows it and might be there.

But...but...Karel was german...

French if anything.

He was raised in France, but he was from Germany.

He was a Czech-born French speaking dude fathered by a Luxembourg-born French speaking dude with a Czech-born Czech speaking gal. He then learned German, Latin and Czech just for kicks. Such is life in Middle Ages.

>Luxembourg/Prague/Paris
>Germany
kek

Ok. You win.

No. His mothers parents were Czechs and his fathers parents were both French. He was born in Prague as Václav, and educated in France. Nothing German about him at all.

I know it wouldn't be a big deal but you know, travelling mercenary sounds badass as fuck.

>travelling mercenary sounds badass as fuck.
He was that, the only question is if he really fought at Agincourt too. His mercenary past is probably the reason why he was so good at war.
He fought at Grunwald as a mercenary, not because he was affiliated with any side there.

I would say Jara Cimrman.
Invented TNT, telephone, two parted swimsuit and more.
He wrote dramas, books, songs.

Every mercenary has to travel from battle to battle. That's his job.