Post-soviet Baltoc states

Why does Russia deny Soviet occupation/anexation of Eastern Europe? Especially the Baltic countries, even thoigh Molotov-Ribbentrop pact states that Soviet Union would gain control over "zones of interest" (which included Baltic states and a part of Poland)
Also,why do ,Baltic people (especially Latvians and Estonians), speak of soviet occupation as of a bad thing(if apart from mass deportations),even though their countries got industriallised pretty well?
Also I've read that Latvia wants to get compensation for occupation from Russia. Does Russia have to pay that compensation?

>Also,why do ,Baltic people (especially Latvians and Estonians), speak of soviet occupation as of a bad thing(if apart from mass deportations),even though their countries got industriallised pretty well?

r u sirius

Because they were lied to their whole life. They probably think that Americans made up the pact becouse "muh we defeated germans and saved Europe and American jealous and he hates us and he wants to beat mother Russia and he wants to destroy slavic unity!"

As a Lithuanian I have to say it was a lot more than mass deportations. The economy dun goofd and we lived in a constant deficit resulting in mass stealing from workplaces which resulted in a constant deficit which resulted in mass stealing from worplaces etc. People woyld often get thrown into asylums and deemed crazy for calling themselves Lithuanian and other stuff like that, they would come out absolutely brainwashed. The reoccupation from Germany took a huge toll on us. We also ended up behind the West in terms of civilisation even more than before the Russian Empire and USSR occupations

>Molotov-Ribbentrop pact
Since I don't know, have russians ever officially aknowledged its existence?

I dont know myself but the last claim they made was that the Baltics illegaly left the USSR lmao

They also quite regularly claim Russians are being heavily persecuted in the Baltic states.

Russians scream "rusophobia" , balts scream "soviet occupation". Why can't those people actually solve their problems , instead of screaming bullshit at eachother and accomplishing nothing.

The Balts do seem to be trying to solve their problems though.

>muh vodka reduces life expectency

> Why does Russia deny Soviet occupation
Because recent international law was okay with their whatever status. Compare to Palestine and Israel that considered to be occupation by U.N. from 1950 to modern time.
> Does Russia have to pay that compensation?
Good question. Can you name any case where such compensation was paid?

> aknowledged its existence
Yes. With accents here on how it was a just defensive pact and not a plan to conquer the world in cahoots with Hitler.
> Baltics illegally left the USSR
I wouldn't be surprised if this is true. From pure legal point of view who the fuck even knows if you can just leave union like this.

What about Vodka?

In retrospect, how much does it matter for modern policies in case they did leave illegally?

Absolutely irrelevant. It isn't like someone want an any excuse to restore soviet union or anything like that anyway.

>Estonia

wew lad

Baltics and USSR in the 1939 were a bit like Puerto-Rico and USA now.

Also, stories about deportations are kinda distorted. First deporatations begun long before Soviets got anywhere (locals were deporting ethnic German population). Then Soviets were "deporting" non-political prisoners to Siberia (political were released).

> Since I don't know, have russians ever officially aknowledged its existence?
Oy. Reality check. Nobody never denied it.

What they denied was some super-secret treaty nobody ever saw that somehow involves alliance with Germany and division of Poland (i.e. not "spheres of influence", which were quite official since the beginning).

>it was a just defensive pact and not a plan to conquer the world in cahoots with Hitler.
To think that there are people who actually believe this kind of revisionism.

> I dont know myself but the last claim they made was that the Baltics illegaly left the USSR lmao
That's no claim, that's the fact.

There was a specific procedure for leaving the USSR. Baltics did not follow it. Not only that, they didn't even have a proper voting about their new status. Basically, some gang with weapons declared themselves government and that was it.

> In retrospect, how much does it matter for modern policies in case they did leave illegally?
That made governments extremely dependant on international recognition. This recognition (i.e. NATO troops stationed in Baltics) is basically the only reason governments are still in charge. Which is why, Baltics are extremely obedient to the EU/USA.

Should they've established themselves properly, Baltics would've been much more independant and (probably) much richer.

Yes, they could have formed some sort of...Commonwealth of Independent States, for example. Just imagine how rich and developed such a union could have been...

They were ilegally annexed so I don't get how they could illegally leave.

That makes it double illegal, the nerve of those fascists!

>Why the governments are still in charge
You mean rather than ones licking the balls of Russia or?

> illegally annexed
Nah. They are annexed absolutely legally.

Russian imperialism one one side on the other Baltic patriotism.
One makes it impossible to understand that your country could do something morally wrong to you the other makes any alternative to "if Russians did it it was bad" impossible just as well.

Didn't Baltics willing join SU, legally speaking.

Nope.

You didnt join soviet union. It joined in you

There was coup d'etat or something. So it was legal but fishy as fuck like with Crimea.

>offer the Baltics to sign a mutual defensive pact which allows the SU to station their troops there and dictate your political system
>but we don't want to sign it
>hurr, sign it tvorish, if you don't we'll just invade you anyway
Finnish were offered the same treaty and they refused, then Winter War began. SU would have gotten it's way, one way or the other.

I feel bad for the Baltic States. Sad the US and Western Europe couldn't help them.

Apparently some Russians don't know about it. I've met a Russian that didn't even know Russia invaded Poland too, at least not until Russia "saved" Poland.