Vatican II

>The Church regards with esteem also the Moslems. They adore the one God, living and subsisting in Himself; merciful and all- powerful, the Creator of heaven and earth,(5) who has spoken to men; they take pains to submit wholeheartedly to even His inscrutable decrees, just as Abraham, with whom the faith of Islam takes pleasure in linking itself, submitted to God. Though they do not acknowledge Jesus as God, they revere Him as a prophet. They also honor Mary, His virgin Mother; at times they even call on her with devotion. In addition, they await the day of judgment when God will render their deserts to all those who have been raised up from the dead. Finally, they value the moral life and worship God especially through prayer, almsgiving and fasting.

-Nostra aetate

>But the plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator. In the first place amongst these there are the Muslims, who, professing to hold the faith of Abraham, along with us adore the one and merciful God, who on the last day will judge mankind.
-Lumen gentium

You Catholicbros should leave that funk and come to the Orthodox Church.

This is what our Lamentation service (Friday Night after the Crucifixion, in the dark, with candles) sounds like: youtube.com/watch?v=yeP70fSe3Io

Other urls found in this thread:

nypost.com/2016/04/22/pope-francis-reneges-on-offer-to-take-in-christian-refugees/
youtube.com/watch?v=_Ye0a_F9Zj8
youtube.com/watch?v=AE1FzSC8DBs
youtube.com/watch?v=g0qLQWwc92Q
youtube.com/watch?v=Y8r5r4R2yuE
oca.org/orthodoxy/the-orthodox-faith/spirituality/the-kingdom-of-heaven/heaven-and-hell
youtube.com/watch?v=SzEkk5_uKgk
youtube.com/watch?v=u0iOBOIwQ2o
youtube.com/watch?v=kRK_veqdSQ0
youtube.com/watch?v=sGvjx1102U8
m.youtube.com/watch?v=r3H5f7oePQE
youtube.com/watch?v=3g_ryz_A848
youtube.com/watch?v=sx1eMwlDFb8
youtube.com/watch?v=cR9NHXnbxlU
youtube.com/watch?v=noetoc2W4Pc
m.youtube.com/watch?v=uTIB10eQnA0
m.youtube.com/watch?v=0uLI6BnVh6w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Wow Arabs took over the Byzantines and started copying them! I never would have guessed....

They've been setting up for a One World Religion since the Tower of Babel.

You guys really aren't much better than they are.

If a future Vatican ever calls for a crusade, it will be for the defense of Islam, not against it.

nypost.com/2016/04/22/pope-francis-reneges-on-offer-to-take-in-christian-refugees/

Don't go with the Pope

Come to Orthodoxy
youtube.com/watch?v=_Ye0a_F9Zj8

>aerial tollbooths
>"Muh Anglo-Saxon Orthodox"
>"unleavened bread was started by Jews in Charlemagne's court"
>constant Russia circlejerking and anti-Western rhetoric

Yeah, no thanks, lad.

No crusades. We're all on our own paths to God nao.

Augustine believed humanity was a few thousand years old and pulled original sin out of thin air thanks to a shitty translation of Romans.

Sounds like shit.

Why is Orthodox Christianity so unaesthetic and just plain ugly?

Source?

This sounds interesting

u wot m8

youtube.com/watch?v=AE1FzSC8DBs

youtube.com/watch?v=g0qLQWwc92Q

youtube.com/watch?v=Y8r5r4R2yuE

The Orthodox conception of hell is very different from the Catholic
>For those who love the Lord, His Presence will be infinite joy, paradise and eternal life. For those who hate the Lord, the same Presence will be infinite torture, hell and eternal death. The reality for both the saved and the damned will be exactly the same when Christ “comes in glory, and all angels with Him
oca.org/orthodoxy/the-orthodox-faith/spirituality/the-kingdom-of-heaven/heaven-and-hell

As far as I know, you Orthodox are supposed to venerate and respect Augustine as well, but that's none of my business. In fact, you guys *are* supposed to believe in original sin. Of course, you believe that not everyone bears the guilt of it, but you do believe in it, so if you're denying it you're a heretic even by your own standards, but then again what can I expect from a person who follows a religion whose doctrine is based on the liturgy, not the other way around.

The fact of the matter is that western converts to Orthodoxy are pretty much all cossack LARPers who unironically think the Russian Empire was the best thing ever.

Two words:

>aerial
>tollhouses

It is way more aesthetic.

Compare to the comical garb the Catholics wear and the ill fitting american suits of the protestants. Music isn't even a competition.

>more aesthetic
yeah the aesthetic of satan.
dudes look like pagan warlocks of the highest order.

Orthodox understand original sin differently. Mankind inherits a propensity for sin, but not the guilt of Adam's sin

We venerate Augustine as a saint, that doesn't mean we agree with his theology

"Our Lord Jesus Christ was both God and man. According as He was God, He had not a mother; according as He was man, He had." [Tractate 8 on the Gospel of John]

Saint Augustine said this, does it sound right to you?

They're a theolougmenon, not an Orthodox doctrine

In what way is that incorrect?
If you're suggesting Mary is responsible for birthing the Logos, you're insane.

sounds like some mediocre arabic chanting and some slavshit cumguzzling.

top kek

is that supposed to shitty Warcraft cosplay?

>in what way is Nestorianism incorrect

Mary literally did beget the Logos, by the way. The Logos became flesh, and Mary begot him. What do you think Theotokos means? God-begettor.

ITT: Catholics and Orthodox argue about which knows less about salvation.

Idolatry.

You don't think the Logos was made flesh?

>comical garb
>"music isn't even a competition"

youtube.com/watch?v=SzEkk5_uKgk

Arks are sanctified vessels for the Covenants of God.

Jesus is the New and final Covenant.

Mary was the vessel of that Covenant.

Mary is the Ark of the Covenant, the Mother of God, the Immaculata, the Sanctissima, the Piissima, the Mater Amata Intemerata.
Ora, Ora pro nobis, Dulcis Virgo Maria, nunc et in hóra mórtis nóstrae! Amen.

>accuse temple jews of idolatry
>but its okay when i do it

>was

is

You're behind the times
This is contemporary Catholic music
youtube.com/watch?v=u0iOBOIwQ2o

youtube.com/watch?v=kRK_veqdSQ0

youtube.com/watch?v=sGvjx1102U8

I was referencing John 1:14

I know He was.

I also know He made the universe.

So saying that His existence depended upon Mary is idolatry towards Mary.

He did not start out as you or I did, in our mother's womb. He is I Am.

And "Mother of God" is nowhere to be found in the bible, nor did John, who took care of Mary, make any fantastical claims about her.

>Mary was the vessel of that Covenant.

Yes, idolatry. Why do you people have a hard time being identified as idolaters?

The Logos BECAME flesh, and yet he existed before time itself.
If Mary begot the Logos, then the Logos did not exist before the earthly incarnation.

And many young Catholics like myself want to go back to this.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=r3H5f7oePQE

RETURN TO THE AD ORIENTAM ALTER LAYOUT GUYS! ITS WHAT MOTHER ANGELICA (Requiescat in Pace) WOULD WANT!

Hey, I never said that Orthodox music was bad. I love the musical tradition of our Eastern brethren. I just hate it when some Orthodox insult the Western tradition.

I regretfully inform you that my church uses mass settings as the one linked, as well as Gregorian chants every Sunday at our Solemn High Tridentine Liturgy. We also use traditional Anglican hymns too, since they are quite aesthetically pleasing. Please direct all complaints to His Holiness Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI.

She still gave birth to him, unless you are saying the flesh she gave birth to and was referred to as the mother of, is not the Logos

No, he did, he was just begotten of the flesh by Mary

Western Rite Orthodox will continue to grow

>I just hate it when some Orthodox insult the Western tradition.
They seem to do this all the time. By far the most insecure sect there is.

"Western Rite Orthodox" is a silly joke that barely exists. You lot cite it all the time, but when push comes to shove, you would rather discard it altogether, since everything Western must be tainted in your perverted worldview. Not very Catholic of you, to be honest.

Oh no doubt, but at least they have valid sacraments, I suppose.

>We also use traditional Anglican hymns too, since they are quite aesthetically pleasing
That's not what the criterion of hymnology is about. It's about whether the hymns express dogma and convey both fear and love. There is a right kind of aesthetic, and a wrong kind for Church, Paintings with dimension are also very aesthetically pleasing, but wrong for Church

Being begotten in flesh form does not entail that the Logos has a "mother", especially if you agree that the Logos has existed for all time and beyond.

Western Rite prior to the schism is 100% Orthodox

>Paintings with dimension are also very aesthetically pleasing, but wrong for Church
You claim this as if orthodox iconography even had rules pre-Iconoclasm.

Mary is referred to as the Mother of the Lord in Luke 1:43. Does that refer to the flesh Mary gave birth to? And is that flesh the Logos?

Listen to these lyrics and tell me that they don't convey all of that:

youtube.com/watch?v=3g_ryz_A848

youtube.com/watch?v=sx1eMwlDFb8

youtube.com/watch?v=cR9NHXnbxlU

If it didn't, then explain how the Oriental Orthodox, who never went through the iconoclast tribulations, follow the same rules as Eastern Orthodox despite having different artistic styles

I don't just mean the lyrics, I mean the music itself. And no, it doesn't

youtube.com/watch?v=noetoc2W4Pc

Both the lyrics and the music convey that here

No, they weren't idolatrous, they worshiped the Presense within the Ark as glorified the Ark itself as the vessel of God's Covenant. They didn't actually believe the shiny box was magic and sentient on its own. Likewise Mary is only the great intercessor, "Ora pro nobis," "pray for us." She only has amazing PR in the realm of prayer and salvation, along with pissing off Satan by being his antithesis is every regard, what with her Fiat to the Most High versus his Non Serviam.

Why do the scruples of the iconoclast matter when they clearly lack any knowledge on what they talk about. Your zeal for scruples of avoiding damn near EVERYTHING because your heretic sects' founders muckraked virtually everything Catholic by tossing away all tradition and reason so they could find flimsy justification for all your qualms. It's the kind of reason that caused the retarded JWs to outlaw blood transfusion as "consuming blood."

You cry out with "looks like a duck" reasoning. But the issue is that base appearance means Jack Shit. Considering how many ducks whistle instead of quack, your logic for what is idolatry, cannibalism and necromancy renders grebes, coots and looks as ducks and swans as being a kind of goose. And further more, with how assanine your whining about fossils and the bible is, why don't you argue that bats are birds? That's what the bible said after all, bats are birds!

Why do you guys always feel the need to shit all over everyone else's traditions? You make music into doctrine.

No, we don't do that. We love Western tradition and that is why we are working on reviving it in the Church. Romanesque art is great for Church. We just don't like modernist stuff that is more about aesthetics that conveying the purest possible worship

We like Coptic traditions, for example, even though they are not technically in communion with us and haven't been since even before the Catholic schism

Our Lord is fully human as though He were not God.

Music, by the way, is supposed to be an expression of dogma. Dogma is something lived and experienced, music pronounced it with both lyrics and the feelings. The feeling conveyed by music is the dogmatic feeling for worship. Dogma can be written about, but dogma itself is spiritual and is lived in worship, not by memorizing

And his flesh is fully Logos

The notion that Mary had to be special in order to give birth to Jesus is absurd. Anyone in the line of David, female, virgin, would suffice.

Metal as fuck tho.

So you understand neither the Old nor New Covenant, as the shekinah was literally God residing on the top of the ark of the covenant.

Throwing away everything Catholic means that nothing of value was lost. To say otherwise is to say that some evil is useful.

As I said, He came down from heaven to be born.

He did not start as sperm meets egg. Saying Mary is the mother of God infers that Mary had a part in the creation of God.

Which is fucking absurd.

I should add that I don't see anything wrong with modernist Western music in general, just when used in Liturgy

No, I'm pretty sure God doesn't hand out a task so sacred like crack jack prizes

What was Mary the Mother of, the Lord she was the Mother of? Is it Christ's flesh? If so, then she is the Mother of the Logos

It doesn't infer that at all. God the Father, for instance, is referred to as Father of Christ, yet he did not create him

There's good music, and then there's shit music.

Good:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=uTIB10eQnA0

Shit:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=0uLI6BnVh6w

I like good music, and ancient hymns like Pange Lingua Gloriosi are good. "Gather Us In," however, is pretty crap "feel good" Christian "music."

I want my Holy Mass to be solemn and bear witness to the Holy Presence of God and the Sactified. The Reverence of the Sacred. Ancient Rituals continued through time for the Glory of The Name. But Protestantism lacks all ritual, all sanctification of the holy space for God to come and dwell. This is why Megachurches come with fervor and zeal, but quickly dies out as people just stop caring. They just praise God with basic truths as though that's all that is needed. No study, exegesis or philosophy, just bright colors and fun.
If holy ritual is pagan, then we should persue holy ritual. As to quote Lewis:

'First let us make the younger generation good pagans and afterwards let us make them Christians.'

If God can't enter the earthly realm without fucking everything up(I'm referring to sinai), how does inseminating Mary not cause extreme phenomenon?

In heaven are the trinity manifested as one person
Or are they all there individually?

>I think I know exegesis
>I think my theology is wholly origins and not just bastardized Catholicism

Also look! God residing in the arms of the Ark of the Covenant! Just as God resided on the top of the Ark of the Covenant!

Any young virgin Jewish girl descending from David would have suited Him just fine. If you're trying to make the argument that none other were available, for reasons, that's fine.

To say Mary was "special" requires someone whose education was "special" as well.

"This is my beloved Son, in Whom I am well pleased."

>Guyz! Let's worship Mary instead!

>Semen was involved.

What is wrong with you?

My Lord and Savior Christ Jesus, if there be any iota of anything Catholic within me, burn it out with the holy fire of your wrath.

I pray this in Jesus' name.

Hmmmmm, not even a trickle of heat from the Father.

Mary was Immaculate. Pure and undefined by Sin. The New Eve, Mother of all the Living.

THAT is what made her Special, sinlessness.

Not literally inseminating

who are you to say semen wasn't involved? did you check her womb?

That sounds pretty terrible all around.
Would keep worshiping Wodan/10

>You Catholicbros should leave that funk and come to the Orthodox Church.

This post is a perfect example of Orthodox willing deception. This point was brought up and defeated in

However this poster just ignored this and then went on to make a new thread. They literally argue in the manner Hitler talks of:

The more I argued with them, the better I came to know their dialectic. First they counted on the stupidity of their adversary, and then, when there was no other way out, they themselves simply played stupid. If all this didn't help, they pretended not to understand, or, if challenged, they changed the subject in a hurry, quoted platitudes which, if you accepted them, they immediately related to entirely different matters, and then, if again attacked, gave ground and pretended not to know exactly what you were talking about. Whenever you tried to attack one of these apostles, your hand closed on a jelly-like slime which divided up and poured through your fingers, but in the next moment collected again. But if you really struck one of these fellows so telling a blow that, observed by the audience, he couldn't help but agree, and if you believed that this had taken you at least one step forward, your amazement was great the next day. The [Orthodox Poster] had not the slightest recollection of the day before, he rattled off his same old nonsense as though nothing at all had happened, and, if indignantly challenged, affected amazement; he couldn't remember a thing, except that he had proved the correctness of his assertions the previous day.

lmao holy shit that's Constantine to a fucking T

Every structure of your faith is Catholic in some way. The only way to fix it is to completely scrap Christianity as it is known today and start fresh. Create your own Biblical Canon. Too many books are left over from the Catholic Canon. You use the 4 canon Gospels like Catholics. To be truly unCatholic, you must toss those out and use different gospels. And the concept of the Trinity? Catholic. Must toss that away too. And your hymns? Lots of Catholic beliefs in there too. Stained glass in a Protestant Church? Catholics have that! We must destroy the stained glass! Crosses? Well, can't have that, Catholics have crosses too!

Everything you believe is in some way Catholic. Any impartial scholar will attest to that. You were born from Wester Tradition, and in it you shall always be. Tu Fui, Ego Eris.

What part of "MYSTERY of the Incarnation" don't you get?

And yet, when we rightfully say you idolize her, and literally pray to her. you back down.

they're just as lost as you people are

left leg

right leg

thousand years each

Not in any way, actually. I'm a born again Christian, not a Babylonian Queen of Heaven worshiper.

Learn your origins.

They go back to the Tower of Babel; to Nimrod and Semiramis; to Tammuz.

Everything you do, they did.

>This level of autism

I wish I could travel forward in time and see the look on Constantine's face when East and West reunite with full acknowledgment of the supremacy of the Pope.

First Church, True Church, Best Church. As it has been and so shall be.

Autism is correlated with atheists, actually. Empathy lacking psychopaths.

Like most posters here.

She is essentially a saint. The Orthodox have saints, too, and they function the same way. We pray that she will pray for us. Our faith in her is a faith that Christ works through her.

Daniel 2
This image’s head was of fine gold, its chest and arms of silver, its belly and thighs of bronze, its legs of iron, its feet partly of iron and partly of clay. You watched while a stone was cut out without hands, which struck the image on its feet of iron and clay, and broke them in pieces.

Head of Gold: Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon empire.
Chest of Silver (2 arms): Medeo-Persian empire.
Belly and thighs of Bronze: Alexander's Greece.
Legs (2) of iron: Rome and Constantinople; two legs on the same statue.
Feet: 10 kingdom coalition, iron and broken potter, which is the empire of the antichrist.

And the Rock that is Jesus smashes them all, and they are all forgotten.

I hope you get to see your precious pope bodily thrown by Jesus into the lake of fire, along with the Antichrist.

And your saints are essentially idols.

Orthodox Church (One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church) will never unite with self-proclaimed "Catholic" Church until they denounce their heresy and return to the old ways.

No, they are holy men and women whose lives were lived in imitation of Christ, and therefore Christ works through them.

The Church generally teaches us that Jesus is big on intermediaries. The saints, the angels, the clergy, the religious brothers and sisters. Christ likes to work through people, through us. We are the vessels of his love, his mercy, and his power.

Why? No one quite knows. I suspect part of it is that, in making us the ones that have to carry out his will, Christ tries to lift us up. In doing Christ's bidding we become more like Christ, and so become closer to salvation.

>theology is a joke
>ugly art
>idolatry
>continuously cucked by secular emperors and tsars
>cyka blyat Russia circlejerking
Why would anyone in their right mind who isn't a slav be an orthodoxboo? Is it just remove kebab memes?

>Not in any way, actually. I'm a born again Christian, not a Babylonian Queen of Heaven worshiper.
>Learn your origins.
>They go back to the Tower of Babel; to Nimrod and Semiramis; to Tammuz.
>Everything you do, they did.
>[citation needed]

No credible archeoligist will EVER back you up on any of that.

And if "similarity in title" is all you're going on, then you are a pagan like the ancient Chinese who worshiped the Jade Emperor as the King of Heaven. Would you call Jesus the Heavenly Sovereign? Well hello Mr. Shintoist, because that's the title currently held by Akihito, Emperor of Japan.

Your ideas of history are as accurate as Ryse: Son of Rome, which depicts Boudica as being the daughter of some guy they made up and later is seen laying seige to Rome with her own army of war elephants.

Even if "born-again" is theologically sound in the Holy Mother Church, I will always loathe it as a term because of you and your kind who cry out "Jesus loves EVERYONE! Except you! He will make a blood eagle out of your soul at the Rapture."

And learn YOUR origins, there is no possible way for your faith to be 200% free of any "pagan Catholic taintings."

Also, Semiramis was wife to Ninus, King of Assyria. She had no connection to Babylon. Hell, Babylon itself wouldn't be anything noteworthy biblically if it hadn't done that whole "Jewish Exile" thing. In fact, if that never happened, Jews of 21 AD would've called Rome "Egypt."

Hilsop was a hack who picked and chose his own idea of what the ancients believed to support his goal of trying to defraud the Church. He was a hack that any credible scholar will laugh at.

t. An actual historian

Because it's a true Christianity, opposed to the bunch of pedophile thieves that you're peddling as a Church

Please fuck off to /pol/.

>theology is a joke
Meme
>ugly art
Shit taste
>idolatry
At least it Iconoclasm was somewhat popular, contrary to Catholicism
>continuously cucked by secular emperors and tsars
As it should be, religious rulers should serve and advise secular rulers, not the other way around
>cyka blyat Russia circlejerking
Meme

no, you fuck off to reddit

>said the reddit- I mean /pol/ack that wants to larp

This is supposed to be a humanities board, theology is part of that, but proselytizing is crossing a line. Your no longer talking about religion in an academic sense, your just trying to attract the alt right kids to your bandwagon.

>As it should be, religious rulers should serve and advise secular rulers, not the other way around
That's retarded, it's all about balance.

Pretty sure that's just describing a statue's composition rather than having some grand meaning beyond "made of precious metals."
Also: Considering how Nebby praised the God of Israel after Rack, Shack and Benny survived the furnace, even proscribing grievous bodily harm on those who'd blaspheme the 3's God, I'd say your exegesis on Nebby's statue is BS when much of Nebby's time in the Bible is relatively sympathetic.

Also, some scholars attribute some accounts of Nebby to misapplications of accounts of Nabonidus.