Is there anybody on Veeky Forums who can provide me with interesting material related to Soviet shock troops...

Is there anybody on Veeky Forums who can provide me with interesting material related to Soviet shock troops? I'd like to learn more about their equipment, tactics, and organization.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Shock_Army
flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1173
oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199791279/obo-9780199791279-0050.xml
oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199791279/obo-9780199791279-0052.xml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Please clarify.
Are you referring to "Shock Armies" or to some small tactical units?

guns and bombs

Do you mean "strom groups" (attack groups) for urban fighting?

ive read many books about the eastern front and fighting in urban enviroment but never heard any of the so called shock/storm whatever groups

however the red army infantry being especially effective infiltrating enemy lines in small groups is something always mentioned

What books would you recommend for Soviet fighting and general Eastern Front warfare during World War Two?

>ive read many books about the eastern front and fighting in urban enviroment but never heard any of the so called shock/storm whatever groups

They had "Shock Armies" which were armies intended for attacking the enemy lines.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Shock_Army

My understanding is that shock armies/troopers in general are also meant to break the lines and cause chaos in the rear areas while the "regular" units duke it out with the enemy. In theory anyway.

armies and so on are temp. organizations
divisions in, divisions out

the guard divisions are more important if you want to talk about an "elite"

most of those are not english authors sorry
this one is translated actually

Google engineer sapper battalions, if you're looking for information about that with breastplates.
flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1173

is that a flamethrower? never knew the soviets hade flamethrowers
also i dident know they used breastplates

i think he means small tactical units

Flamethrowers and especially breastplates were given to assault troops who were to attack heavily defended objectives in city fighting. Combat groups were gathered prior to attacks and given increased loads of ammunition, especially grenades and smg bullets. The number and quality of this equipment increased as the war went on.
Second line troops were also often given increased number of PPShs, but generally didn't get as many grenades or any breastplates. They were supposed to come after the initial assault troops to mop up and consolidate.

The Red Army was pretty much the best city fighters throughout the war. Much of their small arms and their self propelled guns lend themselves to street fighting.

Pretty much everyone used Flamethrowers. The breastplates were there mainly for defense against Bayonets or knives or the like. They wouldn't even stop a pistol unless fired from more than 30 meters

>never knew the soviets hade flamethrowers
didn't literally everyone have them

They would actually.

It's a myth or exaggeration that early bullet proofing was useless and hardly used. By the late war more and more soldiers would wear it.

They would absolutely not. They were just too thin. A K98 rifle had a penetrative capability of 19mm with it's AP round, from a range of 100 metres. That's enough to penetrate a T-70 light tank. A 9mm still had 6mm.

>A K98 rifle had a penetrative capability of 19mm with it's AP round, from a range of 100 metres
Sounds little overblown. If ordinary infantry rifle could pierce this much armour, nobody would bother with building tanks with less than 25mm and we know that there was plenty of those.

Of course the personal metal armour(of any kind) was too thin to stop much, maybe shrapnels and ricocheting rounds(which still reduced the mortality rates for troops that used them quite significantly) but even modern "bulletproof" vests and helmets have troubles with rifle rounds, if steel was better at it, they'd use steel instead.

They even had flamethrower tanks.

Shock Troops were used primarily in Stalingrad, Kiev and Berlin, they were small units (6-11 men) supported by a machine gun and a 45mm ZiS gun, sometimes armed with flamethrowers, always with more than 4 hand grenades and SMGs.

Go and look them up. These are official numbers. Normal rifles penetrated up to 13mm, the German rifles 19mm, the Browning 21mm, the Soviet PTSD AT rifle up to 40mm(Granted, this is a soviet number)

It was good enough against 9mm. As was the helmet, btw.

>They wouldn't even stop a pistol unless fired from more than 30 meters
30 metres for 7.62x25 equals point-blank range for 9x19.

Soviet tanks are so underrated

Just like with flamethrowers, I think all the major combatants of WW2 had them. US, UK, Germany, Japan and Italy certainly did.

Why would you ever be a flamethrower guy?
Who the fuck wants to die by burning alive after a bullet hits your tank...

>Who the fuck wants to die by burning alive after a bullet hits your tank...
That wouldn't happen unless you literally stood still long enough for the vapors from the liquid pouring out of your tank accumulated and were ignited by your wand.

Why not? Surely a bullet penetrating the metal tank would create enough hit to ignite the fuel..

FAHK DEEAS TAHNKS!

I meant the tactical units used for urban warfare, apologies for not being clear.

I believe Soviet shock armies were used to break enemy lines with their additional artillery and heavy armor so the mechanized units can exploit the breakthrough. I believe they later became regular units and breakthroughs were given to guard units.

Nice. A shame that game isn't accurate worth shite.

The liquid gas doesn't really light on fire very well. It's the gas vapor, combined with oxygen (or in this case regular air) that produces a reaction. So if you take a coffee can, fill it with gasoline and then shoot it all you'll get is a bunch of gasoline dripping out of a coffee can, not a big explosion.

There are some exceptions. Propane tanks are reputed to blow up fairly satisfactorily, but I believe that's because the contents are extremely volatile (moreso than regular gas) and under considerable pressure already which is suddenly released, leading to lots of suddenly vaporized fuel.

I believe it was a squad or a platoon sized group armed shotguns, or submachine guns and were strategically used in a small area to cause as much damage and chaos as possible to tie up defenses so the main army troops could make a general advance much easier.

intro books listed here:
oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199791279/obo-9780199791279-0050.xml
and here
oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199791279/obo-9780199791279-0052.xml