What are some historical battles who had a huge impact on History...

What are some historical battles who had a huge impact on History, that are impressive by their symbolic power or just what happened afterwards ?

I'd say the battle of Castillon is pretty powerful : The french army was a modern army, using a conscription system (The franc-archers), a permanent army (The compagnie d'ordonnance) and artillery to crush a medieval army. Basically, France ceased to be a feudal regime, from now on, it was the King who was the ultimate power of France, and he based that power on his military that only he could afford, not any duke or count. The battle finished the Hundred Years War, with France taking back Aquitaine forever, making sure that England would never again be able to exist in continental Europe.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fifteen_Decisive_Battles_of_the_World
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Talas
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mohács
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chamdo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bump

The battle of tours. Prevented Europe from becoming Muslim and set up the Carolingion dynasty.

Battle of Solferino.

Most important Victory over the Habsburgs, eventually leading to Italian statehood.

Those locals who aided the wounded were horrified by the carnage.
This would lead directly to the creation of the Red Cross.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fifteen_Decisive_Battles_of_the_World

Written in 1851 though.

Exaggerated

>tfw destroying the britbong's army in 1 (one) hour

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Talas

Apparently transmitted paper-making from China to the Muslims and the West.

The first Arab siege of Constantinople was far more influential because not only it stopped Arabs from getting into Europe bit showed that they aren't invincible.

Always wondered what made paper special.

I mean there's parchment and papyrus?

R u srs?
>Parchment
Need to kill an animal to make that. Instant-expense.
>Papyrus
Literally a fabric. Shit must be woven.

Also papyrus must be imported, making it way more expensive.

Castilon was just the last nail in the coffin. More of a symbolic victory than anything else. The reforms were put in motion years before

>making sure that England would never again be able to exist in continental Europe.
Thats wrong. They got Dunkirk for some years after teaming up with the french against the spanish.

Written by a bong and yet litteraly 8/15 directly involved the French

Actually, the wiki page of the battle of Castillon itself, notes how they still kept Calais.

>The Battle of Castillon was a battle fought on 17 July 1453 in Gascony near the town of Castillon-sur-Dordogne (later Castillon-la-Bataille). A decisive French victory, it is considered to mark the end of the Hundred Years' War. As a result of the battle, the English lost all landholdings in France, except Calais.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mohács

The First Battle of Mohács is often considered as the point the point where Hungarian luck went to shit. Turkish and Habsburg occupations can all be traced back to that battle, but if you ask me, the death of Matthias is when Hungarian luck started plummeting.

>England would never again be able to exist in continental Europe.
Uh, they still exist in continental Europe.

Spaniards failing Europe once again

Battle of Tours stopped muslims from invading through Iberia.

The 4th Crusade/Manzikert sealed the fate of the Byzantine/Roman empire. The Kommenos dynasty getting overthrown didn't help.

The battle of Varna could have saved the Byzantines but it led to Turk domination of the Balkans.

Austerlitz

Actually, that happened when a Frenchman became king of Spain.

It's symbolic m8 they had pretty much won the war already.

France didn't stop being feudal either, it would take another half a century before the French Kings could finally call themselves absolute kings.

I wouldn't overstate the importance of the artillery either nor would I say Franc-Archers is conscription since it was voluntary and only applied to like one in 500 people. Besides that it was more or less abolished within 30 years.

iirc a Frenchman is still on the """""""throne""""""" of Spain

Were the Muslims actually interested in conquering France?

IIRC they only invaded Spain because the Visigoths were going through a civil war. Even the "invasion" of France was just a couple of raids. Hell, they even let Asturias chill in the mountains because they couldn't be bothered to subdue them (which bit them in the ass 800 years later).

Vienna and Lepanto marked the end of the Ottoman threat to Europe.

Actium led to the birth of the Roman Empire.

Trafalgar made the British the undisputed rulers of the sea.

Manzikert gave birth to Turkey.

Stalingrad was the beginning of the end for Nazi Germany.

That could explain why the English are still on the continent?

Western France is some of the most fertile land in Europe, places like Poland and Ukraine weren't well cultivated at this point.

England held parts in Normandy etc. on and off for many years after that. But nice try.

Wow, you really got me there, Goya

>50,000 men
>just a couple raids

Battle of Sekigahara in 1600 and to a lesser extent the Siege of Osaka 14-15 years later.

Ended over a century of civil war in Japan and ushered in a period of peace and prosperity which lasted for several centuries thereafter.

Siege of Constantinople in I think 1453 because it spelled the permadeath of the Byzantine Empire. They put up one hell of a last stand but it was the end of an era.

Others for me are Cannae and Waterloo. Cannae was an absolute slaughter of the Romans and one of the finest military victories in ancient history. Waterloo was the permanent end of Napoleon which also to me is an example of a battle which ended an era.

No one's invincible to getting napalm'd

What about a battle that affected GEOGRAPHY.

Alexander's siege of Tyre in 322BC had him made a land bridge to attack the Tyrians, and the bridge can still be seen today.

Fourth Crusade sacking Byzantine. Led to the fall of the final Roman Empire and the rise of the West.

>Arab siege of Constantinople
>Δεν είμαι εγώ starts playing

Less of a battle, more of a massacre, but the Tlaxcallan sacking of Cholula. That's when Cortes knew for sure that the gloves were definitely off, and that these dudes were savages with how they treated their enemies.

>Actium lead to the birth of the Roman Empire
Nice meme. Rome was already an empire almost two centuries before that.

Battle of Chamdo, as without Tibet or aka the up flow control of many rivers and a buffer state against India, I highly doubt geopolitically China can be as strong as it is today.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chamdo

meme

>medieval sources