1500 medieval and early modern Codices online, free and in high quality:
e-codices.unifr.ch/

Other urls found in this thread:

e-codices.unifr.ch/en/bbb/0009/8v/0/Sequence-22
youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wL5CviNAhnk#t=680
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Wow, thanks OP.

This ought to be stickied.

If that is not meant to be, then we can at least have fun in the mean time posting images we find in the codices.

e-codices.unifr.ch/en/bbb/0009/8v/0/Sequence-22
check the thumbs, never seen such a typography on a Codex

Seems no one is really interested in old books anymore.

Medieval crosswords, nifty

I already found the source long ago, but never saw this before. Have a picture of Charlemagne I found in a tiny manual from the 1400s. Ironically, it was on fashion and clothing found in other lands.

dat overly smug Louis

how do i download entire books? i don't want to download page by page

Glad I was not the only one to notice.

I have a lot of odd things I found in codices over the months

baller

>when the chess game gets serious

There are instruction manuals for medieval clergy on how to take confessions and what questions to ask. The example questions ranged from bestiality to pegging and fantasying about in-laws. These guys definitely had their kinky shit behind closed doors.

>pegging
Was it a thing then? Like seriously? Got sources? Pics?

>Whoever fornicates with an effeminate male or with another man or with an animal must fast for 10 years.
>Elsewhere it says that whoever fornicates with an animal must fast 15 years and sodomites must fast for 7 years.
>If the effeminate male (bædling) fornicates with another effeminate male (bædling), (he is to) do penance for 10 years.
>Whoever does this unintentionally (unwærlice) once must fast for 4 years; if it is habitual, as Basil says, for 15 years if he is not in orders and also one year (less?) so as a woman does. If it is a boy, for the first time, 2 years; if he does it again, 4 years.
>If he is a boy, for the first time, 2 years; if he does it again, 4 years.
>If he fornicates interfemorally (between the limbs), he must fast for 1 year or the 3 40-day periods.
>If he defiles himself (masturbates), he is to abstain from meat for four days.
He who desires to fornicate (with) himself (i.e., to masturbate) and is not able to do so, he must fast for 40 days or 20 days.
>If he is a boy and does it often, either he is to fast 20 days or one is to whip him.
>If a woman fornicates [with another woman?] she must do penance for 3 years.
>If she touches herself in the same way, i.e., in emulation of fornication, she must repent for 1 year.
>One penance applies to a widow and a virgin; more (penance) is earned by her who has a husband if she fornicates.
>Whoever ejaculates seed into the mouth, that is the worst evil. From someone it was judged that they repent this up to the end of their lives.

>unintentionally

What, how.

Isn't that from Talhoffer's books?

>unintentionally
>What, how.
Helluva party on Carnival, shit happens

For the dude with no religious background, what does fast and penance mean in this context? And why did the church try to control peoples sexuality? And can't you just keep quiet about it? Given you didn't take the whole thing that serious.

Could mean anything from not eating during sun up and sun down, abstaining from meat, abstaining from whatever or just having to live on bread and water. Naturally people didn't listen.

Why control it? I can't think of many power institutions that didn't try this. Oh and paganism! The Irish were famous horsefuckers before they turned Christian.

I am still trying to find it just gimme a sec.

Funny story time: The mother of Robert the Bruce King of Scotland essentially kidnapped his father and held him hostage for 15 days until he agreed to marry her.

youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wL5CviNAhnk#t=680

11:20

Spoiler alert* Reads like Twilight Fanfic

>da fuq is dis
>da fuq is dat