Is this where i should start my Veeky Forums journey?

is this where i should start my Veeky Forums journey?

Attached: 31zFqCWICuL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (226x346, 14K)

You could argue forever what the best place to start reading is, but in the end, it doesn't matter, as long as you start.

This is a pretty good book, so yes, it's a good place to start. You won't come out of it with an expert level understanding of greek mythology, but it goes more in depth than Greek Myths for Kids or Percy Jackson or whatever your current foundation probably is.

if you have really never been Veeky Forums, you should read for enjoyment before some canon

nah just dive right into The Iliad you don't need that background crap

personally I don't care about poems or plays though, I only like novels so start with Don Quixote

well i've always been interested in greek mythology and never really dove into it, and i'm a complete novice with books save for a couple Philip K Dick novels and hunger games, so i figure this is a good place to start
i think i'll enjoy this though
i'm a lit brainlet so i think i do need some background and a bit of comprehension practice before i jump into masterworks

>reading books about other books
it's dumb, just read the book itself and infer your own knowledge

i'd like to get an overview of mythology first though

If you think you will enjoy reading that book, I got bad news for you. It's fucking dull, Veeky Forums books are a meme and a waste of time

Yeah don't listen to that faggot who doesn't like poetry. Mythology is a pretty good starting point so read that then Iliad, Odyssey, Theban plays and the other Greek tragedians, Hesiod, Herdotus if you want, etc. Break it up with some stuff from the Veeky Forums starter kit every now and then if you want. btw I recommend the Robert Fitzgerald translation of the Iliad and Odyssey, the Fagles one is a bit too simple desu.

After that you could resume with the Romans (virgil, ovid) or jump to the bible.

Are you retarded?

It is a good choice. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise. I started with Dante’s Comedy and then went to Mythology to Iliad to Oddyssey and finally to Ovids Metamorphosis. The next book I will read is Virgils Aeneid. Mythology is a great place to start if you want to have a basic knowledge of European paganism before you delve into the classics. Have fun.

thanks friends

conformist idiots

it's a completely unnecessary book that in a long winded 500 page way explains that people from different cultures 3000 years ago had a different interpretation of mythology compared people today (if you needed a book to explain that to you then you are too dumb for the canon anyway)

rude

>Are you retarded?
are you? just read the fucking work and decide for yourself what the author was doing, don't waste time reading the opinion of some hackjob with an agenda

>user didn't read a wide range of books about the myths and legends of various cultures as a child
Were you raised by wolves?

I was too busy having sex with girls and experiencing life sorry

Childhood, Chabro. I'm talking about about when your age was comfortably in single digits.

>inb4 you claim to have spent primary school partying hard and getting laid

oh, I was watching cartoons and playing football

That, the Hobbit, and Treasure Island are the Holy Trinity to start children off.

t. can't into Greeks

t. reads translations of poetry

Attached: 7bc63fcac7c0d8204bd4e8760e120e339aee5c6930ea5646269e68a4b7ad0bfb.gif (500x275, 358K)

Start with some Terry Prachet, you will not regret it. Easy to read and amazing fun.