How would Aragorn train? He's always said to be strong, athletic, and an exceptional warrior

How would Aragorn train? He's always said to be strong, athletic, and an exceptional warrior.

This question led me onto the broader one of how people in medieval times, knights and warrior kings such as Richard the Lionheart, would have trained. Their diets would presumably have been much poorer, and they didn't have the luxury of weight training as we know it today; so if someone wanted to become stronger on the battlefield, or become more athletic, what would they have done?

Other urls found in this thread:

mundusimaginalis.org/articles/the-subcreation-theory-of-j-r-r-tolkien/
youtube.com/watch?v=Q_ME77BeKGE
thearma.org/essays/fit/RennFit.htm#.VytEBVuLSVM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Their diets weren't poor, they had money, so they would have had a lot of meat, veg too. It would have all been unprocessed and much healthier than today.

Weight training is a modern gimmick, even though i do it myself, it's not necessary to do it to be a good fighter. The combat training and wearing armour would have given them the strength they needed. A fit adult male is usually quite strong without any weight training.

You do know Aragorn belongs to a literal master race?

I was thinking this about warriors in the Norman conquests. How would people have become better warriors? Swing their sword around more?

>How would Aragorn train?
In his specific case, by being a relatively pure descendant of Numenoreans, who are justs plain better than us.

Aragorn's pedigree involves NĂºmenoreans and Elves, so of course his physical abilities exceed your regular Men, including a longer lifespan to train.

Much of his training involves roaming endlessly the wilderness and facing whatever challenges are there, including hostile humanoids, his diet involving the best plants and animals he can get his hands on.

Weight training is no luxury, you can bench press logs, push rocks and dig holes.

Knights would have the best fencing instuctors they can afford, preparing them from a young age, you can practice swordplay with sticks and a partner.

>you will never look this good when you're 88 years old
>tfw no qt Elf waifu

The entire story about Aragorn's rise to power over Gondor is an allegory to our own heriarchal society. Some bloodlines are simply better / stronger than other and those who are the very best are predestined to rise to power over humanity.

If we don't have magic, we will have technology. Just you wait.

Hitler pls

1. Their diets were fine. Its only with the industrial revolution that the average persons diet plummeted.

2. They knew about progressive incremental weight increasing.

3. Lots of wrestling. Literally every village would have wrestling competitions that every male would compete in.

4. A lot of the training swords, lances, etc. would be heavier than the real thing which would make them stronger, quicker, increase endurance with the real weapon.

>implying that meat makes a better diet

It may be applicable to that, but it isn't allegorical. If you read the fucking foreword to the second edition you would know that Tolkien specifically didn't write an allegory.

>Their diets would presumably have been much poorer

I feel like this is a meme, especially in regards to the wealthy of the middle ages, most of the diet was grains and vegetables and meats, there would have been very little (even rudimentarily) processed sugar and saturated fats, although there's evidence that the richer you were the crummier health-wise your diet was, because the fashion was to have fancy looking prepared dishes using butter and salt and sugar/sweeteners like molasses or honey, the richer you were the richer your eats were.

peasants ate basic shit like pottage which was healthy as fuck and maybe some unseasoned meats and fish and bread made from barley, so would have been eating clean basically always, gotta get dem gainz for harvesting season

>tfw subcreation

mundusimaginalis.org/articles/the-subcreation-theory-of-j-r-r-tolkien/

>How would people have become better warriors? Swing their sword around more?

they'd fucking drill and practice mate how do you think you learn anything? if you were sword-important you'd have some guy there to train and teach you for sure

imagine hormone free, unprocessed lean meats, back when everything was 'organic' as it can get

>ywn be chased by tolkien dressed as an anglo saxon warrior
>ywn go to a party hes hosting with edith where he paints himself white and pretends to be a polar bear

>organic food meme

My grandmother went to the vet because she was worried that her dog killing and eating rabbits was unhealthy, the vet said, "if your dog captured and killed a rabbit and only ate as such, it would be the healthiest dog in the World", citation needed, but you get the principle.

A lot more calories were spent in those days, men were made of sturdier stuff because if they weren't then they would die. There's no catering for the weak.
I have no evidence to back this up but I think that was the general idea, at least of the strong men. If you want to see a modern day example, youtube.com/watch?v=Q_ME77BeKGE

Those kids practice wrestling most days, by the time they are 20 or so, I bet they would kick my ass easily.

it does you pansy

>4. A lot of the training swords, lances, etc. would be heavier than the real thing which would make them stronger, quicker, increase endurance with the real weapon.
Yeah, I remember reading this about roman training. Legionaires trained with shields and swords twice as heavy as the real ones.

With my manuscript, Lift Like A Serf, Eat Like A Baron, Flee Like A Cathar, you too can have the physique of a knight. Tavern wenches will swoon and peasants will tremble in awe. I walk you step by step in miniature pictures and marginalia. So easy even a jester can expect noticeable results.

>flee like a Cathar
Kek

>And now he began to test himself by jumping onto a courser in full armor. At other times he would run or hike for a long way on foot, to train himself not to get out of breath and to endure long efforts. At other times he would strike with an axe or hammer for a long time to be able to hold out well in armor, and so his arms and hands would endure striking for a long time, and train himself to nimbly lift his arms. By these means he trained himself so well that at that time you couldn't find another gentleman in equal physical condition. He would do a somersault armed in all his armor except his bascinet, and dance armed in a mail shirt...
When he was at his lodgings he would never ceased to test himself with the other squires at throwing the lance or other tests of war.

Physical strength is important but not all important when fighting with weapons. Stamina is going to count for a great deal more most of the time.

>and they didn't have the luxury of weight training as we know it today
Lifting weights is great but it's hardly the end-all of solutions if you're trained to kill people. Besides, they obviously exercised with whatever they could figure out, push-ups, lifting heavy rocks and so on. Even if we don't know how they did certain things, you can bet knights were exceptionally well trained. Most people that train noways exercise like 3 days a week for 1 hour. These guys would train from a young age and much more intensely since their lives depended on it.

>what is rabbit poisoning? I'll take 'the vets talking out his ass' for 500.

>unprocessed
meme

Everything else is true though. They would likely still be battling for hours and get fatigued and needed to lean more towards endurance, which they would do automatically when running marathons in hoplite armor and such, as opposed to a boxer who trains to unleash as much energy as possible within a few minutes of fighting.

If i remember lotr appendicies the dunedain degraded from mounted field knights to more of a stealth foot soldier but was still educated in the theroy of modern battle. Aragorn was a mercenary in his younger days.
Medieval knights after the charge & in close battle would make a swing not with full force but use the weight of the weapon on the down stroke twist the wrist for the upswing, knights would be backed up by infantry for relief. Remember knights are a mobile spear head shock force best used for to stop flank attacks or to split up massed formations.
In the mid east crusader knights favored a short cleaver sword because consistant fighting in the saddle against infantry.
The parry & thrust idea with a long sword is near imposible.
Lotr in the room of balin's tomb as the orcs break through the door boromir does a classic block with the long sword

And pure faggotry was rampant as was shown by ricky the first

>1. Their diets were fine. Its only with the industrial revolution that the average persons diet plummeted.
The diets of the masses sucked long before that. A farmer's growth was stunted, compared to an hunter-gatherer's. They survived on starch-based diets - think of staple crops. Agriculture could sustain larger populations, though.

What about their stamina?

where's your greentext from?

The training regime of Jean Le Maingre aka Boucicaut

thearma.org/essays/fit/RennFit.htm#.VytEBVuLSVM

They werent as physically big as huntergathers but they werent all a meal away from death either. They had a complete diet with enough protein, fats, vitamins and minerals to live healthy, strenuous lives.

>battling for hours

When will this meme die?

wait what, how long did battles take then? It's the first time I hear about this please explain.

I think he meant battling as in physical combat for hour on end rather than with pauses. Hell I know battles that too two days and a night but that does not mean one guy fought for 40 hours on end.

>as opposed to a boxer who trains to unleash as much energy as possible within a few minutes of fighting.

A boxer trains to not gas out in one round. Boxing is some of the most intense shit you can do in regards to cardio.

Technology is just magic that is explained and understood.

THE ILLUMINATIONS BETTER NOT BE DOG SHIT OR ELSE I'M PUTTING YOU OUT OF BUSINESS

If Rome had a single tank from WWII with the necessary resources to maintain and operate it, Rome would be unstoppable.

>Its only with the industrial revolution that the average persons diet plummeted.
>The diets of the masses sucked long before that.
knights, nobility and other professional warriors are hardly "average persons." they could afford proper food.