Apart from Hitler, are there any other examples of a dictator coming to power in a democratic system?

Apart from Hitler, are there any other examples of a dictator coming to power in a democratic system?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Kingdom
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucius_Tarquinius_Superbus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Are you serious??

Napoleon III is probably the best example

The Roman Empire. It happened multiple times and was a common office.

Before the republic, Roman kings were elected.

Hitler did rise in a theoretically democratic system, but not really via the democratic means of that system - violent suppression of the opposition was not a part of the democratic system.

>Weimar Republic
>Democratic
Pick one

Source? That doesn't sound right at all.

Wikipedia.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Kingdom
>The kings, excluding Romulus, who according to legend held office by virtue of being the city's founder, were all elected by the people of Rome to serve for life, with none of the kings relying on military force to gain or keep the throne.

Wow, why'd the republican romans hate kings so much then?

Because monarchies, like republics, aren't perfect. Every system has to replace itself eventually.

ancient greeks appointed dictators all the time

Hitler lost the election, and then was appointed to the office of Chancellor, the powers of which he abused to install a single-party system. His election was a failure of a democracy, but not of democracy.

Lee Kuan Yew.

What are you refering to, friend?

It's because of this douche and his sons.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucius_Tarquinius_Superbus

So did Ancient Greeks in Athens. The voted them in and later exiled them.

The trump picture.

>Superbus
I'm guessing it means superb, but it still made me kek

Oh, pay no attention to it.
It is just a random picture, not related to the topic

Lenin, the first social democrat.

>Trump's a fascist meme.

I see Hilary's social media arm is mobilizing. You fucking idiots don't even know what fascism is. Then again, the people you're trying to sway probably don't either.

Imagine if I made a thread about "the biggest lies in history" and then added a picture portraying Auschwitz to it.

Mussolini...kinda

>muh Trumpenfuhrer
>waaah why are you associating Trump with Hitler

Democrats have been far more authoritarian than Republicans this election

>/pol/ is an accurate representation of politics

Isn't fascism basically the Third Alternative? Trump is trying to appeal to Bern victims by talking about raising the minimum wage, among other things. He's basically trying to appeal to the fringe Right and Left all at once.

He has the dank memes. Hitler did not have any.

I'd wager some African democracies elected dictators. And a few South American ones as well.

Fascism is
>for the health and well being of the nation and people
America is not a nation, in my opinion, and cannot be united under a fascist ideology.
Fascism has no single coherent ideology but has some related standards.

He's not fringe right though, nor is he fringe left.
Hell, this election is going to be between a center leaning right Republican and a left leaning one

> America isn't a nation

What mate?

Trump is above your shitty left-right dichotomy. Didn't you learn after what happened to Ted?

In my opinion, it does not fit the classical idea of a nation, more of a Negrafied bastardization of European mutts.

For Trump to win the general election he is going to have to get some votes from minority votes.I don't see that happening.

Superb in the sense of haughty and arrogant, not in the sense of excellent and majestic, mind you.

He already has the highest number of black votes a Republican has ever had since Reagan or something.
As soon as he starts talking shit about the super predator bill the margin is going to lessen

Not trying to instigate but could I get a source on those numbers? That would be interesting if true, to see the demographic breakdown of trump voters.

Why would you do such a thing?

I pick Weimar Republic

Caesar
Sulla
Marcius
Augustus
Napoleon
a fuckton of more times in the Republic since being Dictator was a proper legal office
Napoleon III
Putin
Chavez
Ataturk
Mugabe
Ferdinand Marcos
Mohamed Morsi
Erdogan
Aleksander Lukashenko
Omar al-Bashir
Honsi Mubarak
Than Shwe
Teodoro Obiang
Barack HUSSEIN O'Bama

Metaxas in Greece during the 30s

>tfw people actually support Trump

He's the most ridiculous leader, his fucking hand gestures are horrible. At least Hitler looked strong, Trump acts like a flamboyant gayboi in denial.

>WE'RE GOING TO MAKE THE BEST TRADE DEALS AND YOU'RE GONNA GET SOOOOO SICK OF WINNING I TELL YA
>insert gay hand gesture here while Trump's talking about CHY-NAH

he's right though, free trading with third world countries is killing America because it can't compete in terms of labour costs

it happened in the 80s and its happening still today
only stupid millennials think America is just some economic monster with no worries what so ever.

Yeah but who would you rather have a beer with, Trump or the suicidal emo?

>tfw people actually support Trump
Yeah man I know, so stupid right?

>hates corporations
>doesn't support the candidate looking to break down the trade agreements that prop them up

Its very common, democracies often ended in civil war or an elective monarchy nearly every time. Even Athens, half the time it was a dictator in control.

It actually is, pandering to uneducated middle-aged nationalists who lost their shitty manufacturing jobs and teenage internet trolls who can't get girlfriends is literally the most embarrassing episode in American politics since the Civil War.

Please, Bernie is even worse

Peron

Can we keep this to historical discussion, this is a history board, not pol.

How is caring about the problems of middle class laborers embarrrasing? You sound awfully elitist when you say that.

And Trump absolutely doesn't give a flying fuck about the /pol/ kids you are describing, even if they do about him. They are neglible as a group of voters.

not him but I've heard the same

>you shouldn't care about the lower and middle class
fuck off

dont underestimate meme magic

There is a difference between caring about a demographic and pandering to them for easy votes. The latter is the path of the demagogue and the ultimate fate of democracy.

We've had a good run, but Democratic republics rarely last longer than 200 years historically.

read the sticky faggot

>Democratic republics
We Republican republics now?

Yeah, it's a real shame that you have to pay for your own burger flipping degree

This could easily be describing trump.

to be fair, all americans look like this

Clinton as well

This could easily describe politicians.

The average /pol/tard
No one said shit about your faggot candidate

So by that quote, are you implying that middle and lower class people are idiots?

Apart from the Loch Ness Monster, are there any other examples of famous hoaxes going on for too long?

I'm saying Trump is playing them for idiots, and that if they vote for him they are.

That is a true, but he outsources like a Motherfucker
I don't get it, he's clearly lying and he knows his supporters won't fact check him

Roman Kings weren't a thing once the Republic was established. They did however have dictators elected to have full power until a crisis was resolved.

[citation needed]

So you think people have no other reason to vote for Trump but beeing idiots? You do sound a bit arrogant, to be honest

Trump is literally as cringeworthy as that guy. I'd rather him vote for the same people as me, than be the actual candidate

Not only is he a much bigger demagogue than Trump, he's also a disgusting hypocrite.
All in all, I'm glad Hillary pushed his shit in

How does this image prove Bernie is a hyporcrite?

DTIF has arrived.
>whines about the rich and powerful and their lavish lifestyle
>does exactly the same
He also has basically done absolutely fucking nothing his entire time while elected.
He is the Milhouse meme come to life, and those that follow him are autistic redditards who can't believe it's not the
>[current year]
Childless single men who masturbated to Anime just got Donald Trump elected to the Republican nominee, and will to the presidency.
Eat shit and die.
Trump is a successful business man and now the first outsider to be elected to be a nominee of a party.
You're cringeworthy.

>cries about the abuse of the working class by the 1%
>claims he wants to combat global warming
>uses campaign donations to fly to the Vatican in a private jet
Plus, his supporters are the saddest sacks of shit I've ever seen.
At least Trump wins

I don't have the numbers, but there were multiple primaries where he had a higher percentage of the hispanic vote than two hispanics, he could definitely pull minority votes away from Hillary when given 6 months to work on making her look like the psycho she is

;)

Isnt this a normal middle class menue?

Normal middle class doesn't fly to fucking Rome on first class

Trump supporters are a special kind of retarded.

I don't know where the fuck you live m8 but it must be a nice place where that menu is middle class

This is not an argument
>Bernie supporters are a special kind of retarded

It's not an argument, it's a statement of fact.

Like how they genuinely are oblivious to his 180 flip flop sound bytes which outlines the obviousness of him being a complete charlatan.

>country potato salad
>penne pasta
>corn-fed chicken breast
Sounds like pretty down to earth food to me

family free middle class do sometimes
source: me

Thats a date with a girl I really want to fuck that has some standards. Entirely attainable if you are middle class that hasn't fucked yourself with kids.

>only the opinions of people with the exact same level of education and economic status as me matter
yep, it's a Bernie supporter

sick assertion bro, try providing examples

>crab and lemon poached prawns
>lamb loin
>Premium red & white wines
>family free middle class do sometimes
You fly to Rome in first class and claim you're middle class?
You sound like you've been spoiled rotten by your parents and still claim to be "part of the 99%"

>my opinion is fact
This is not an argument
>muh Christian
He is a christian, but he is wresting the Republican party away from its religious establishment and expanding the party.
You're an idiot.
Not flying to fucking Rome. From the states.

>janitor applications barely a month ago
>this thread is still alive after 90+ posts and despite devolving into shitty american politics after the first few posts
did anyone on Veeky Forums even apply?
sage and hide

>applying to be a janitor
SAD!

Janitors are MAGA.
t. Someone who hangs out in the IRC