Is she the best poet of our age? Is she the new Homer? I think so

Is she the best poet of our age? Is she the new Homer? I think so.

Attached: GettyImages-79204051-1499803122-640x427.jpg (640x427, 71K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=00iO7FXWhx8
youtube.com/watch?v=oPmKRtWta4E
youtube.com/watch?v=gNTWWLpny90
archive.org/search.php?query=David Chamberlain, Homer
perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/
youtube.com/watch?v=cGeI10EyPAc
youtube.com/watch?v=dq-caoJ_LgA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not while Dylan is still alive.

nigga die

Not while Jim Morrison is still breaking on through to the other side.

Daily reminder that she's married to adam sandler.

lol its the other jew guy

Attached: f21ab8a2a3c75b65ada3809f08dbbebc.jpg (720x960, 61K)

Pretty much, yes. Sometimes she can be a little off poetically, a little too ambitious, which can come off as pretentious or absurd. But on the whole, she is the best poet of the 21st century so far.

user ...

I think she's very bright and quite poetic, but she's not a great poet. Kanye West is a poet.

tried to run
tried to hide
break on through to the other side
o yea

I disagree. While I think she's a good poet, I think that Donkey Kong is the best poet ever.

link some of her best poems: or copy paste some choice stanzas itt

What a fucking retard for playing the harp, thinking herself some kind of feminine angel. Piano was invented a few hundred years ago, you dumb bitch.

Way to stick it to the harp lobby, Wolfgang.

A. Jealous Roastie
B. Idiotic Hack
C. Baity Troll
D. Other

what have they done to the earth?
what have they done to our
fair sister?
ravaged and plundered and ripped her and bit her
stuck her with knives in the side of the dawn and
tied her with fences and dragged
her
down..

youtube.com/watch?v=00iO7FXWhx8

who

Some of the worst music I've ever heard.

You haven’t questioned the motives of someone who consciously decides to use a completely obsolete instrument? I’m sorry you think she’s good by the way, she’s no Nick Drake that’s for sure.

METEOROIYT

On what is your comparison grounded? Newsom composes and has composed under radically different socio-cultural contexts than Homer. Their subjects and themes aren't at all similar.

What, then, do you see between them? Since Newsom plays the harp, are you romanticizing her as some bard? I don't understand. "I think so," but apparently not enough to explain your position.

"And the city that turns, turns protracted and slow
and I find myself toeing th'Embarcadero
and I find myself knowing
the things that I knew
which is all that you can know
on this side of the blue."

"And the signifieds butt heads
with the signifiers,
and we all fall down slack-jawed
to marvel at words!
When across the sky sheet the
impossible birds, in a steady,
illiterate movement homewards."

"And the rest of our lives
will the moments accrue
when the shape of their goneness
will flare up anew.
Then we do what we have to do
(re-loo re-loo),
which is all that you can do
on this side of the blue."

These three come from "The Side of the Blue." One of my favorites. Very philosophical. It has a lot to do with time and language. Actually, she has a lot of songs about time.

"The cause is Ozymandian.
The map of Sapokanikan."

These two lines are just brilliant as far as sound goes. These is a so much going on with rhyme.

I don't know she has a ton of good stuff. These are just a few bits that I can remember well, including the pic.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 10.59.21 PM.png (574x230, 32K)

Wordy hoe, with little to say.

I can't help but pick over her lines a bit.

>which is all that you can know

Should really be

>which is all you can know

One less syllable makes it more melodious.

Not with the music I'm guessing

*blocks your path*

Attached: john-darnielle-wombat.jpg (500x333, 84K)

im just fuckin around, this is why you have no friends.

>(re-loo re-loo)

Attached: 1519182386625.jpg (351x351, 26K)

I chuckled

Why is this worth your time? Try spending your effort reading Homer and exploring Newsom at a greater depth instead of clogging up this board.

the comparison is just fucking around, but im trying to start a discussion on newsom's merit as a poet. pointing out the obvious doesn't make you look any smarter.

Your ignorance is not the ignorance of the worlds
youtube.com/watch?v=oPmKRtWta4E

youtube.com/watch?v=gNTWWLpny90

Not while Rupi Kaur is still alive.

ahem, do you not mean... Ass Kang?

Then why not start the discussion by proposing why you think her poetry has merit? Why start with a nonsensical comparison that you yourself acknowledge is unsupported? Are you more interested in shit-posting than having meaning discussion? You don't need to try to trick anyone into discussing her merits. Just set out your opinion, defend your perspective, and consider the positions of others. There's no need for any other bullshit.

This is GARBAGE. You need to read real poets and real philosophers so you can stop thinking this is good or deep.

Not that I don't appreciate that you read poetry at all - or that she writes it, but seriously guy.

it must mean he doesnt really believe what he said, but just wanted to shill for her, and see if there were anyone else that are fans that can pat him on the back and say 'its really ok to be a grown man and fangirl out about a women singer artist (with mediocre lyrics, but you should if even jestingly tell yourself they are really special and comparable to great poets to make it appear more intellectually acceptable to be such a fan girl of her...her music is very good and enchanting and soothing and etc. and she is very beautiful, its ok, seriously, its ok, your parents and friends and brothers do not think you are gay for liking her)

>he says to another user on Veeky Forums

Perhaps. I don't buy that completely, though. If that's true, OP, then I feel sorry that you can't commit to your own interests and feelings and beliefs without anonymous affiramtion. If this perceptive user isn't correct, though, then my previous post still stands. Why did you start this thread if you, as you wrote, don't believe your OP?

slow down there freud..

Why do Poopi Kaur and song lyricist get threads with so many replies where actual poets are rarely discussed at all?
I can't remember the last time there has been a discussion about Homer himself (that wasn't just durr translation?)

I will copy paste some random lines from the Illiad (op did it to themself):
"Achilles, loved of heaven, you bid me tell you about the anger of King Apollo, I will therefore do so; but consider first and swear that you will stand by me heartily in word and deed, for I know that I shall offend one who rules the Argives with might, to whom all the Achaeans are in subjection. A plain man cannot stand against the anger of a king, who if he swallow his displeasure now, will yet nurse revenge till he has wreaked it. Consider, therefore, whether or no you will protect me."

And Achilles answered, "Fear not, but speak as it is borne in upon you from heaven, for by Apollo, Calchas, to whom you pray, and whose oracles you reveal to us, not a Danaan at our ships shall lay his hand upon you, while I yet live to look upon the face of the earth- no, not though you name Agamemnon himself, who is by far the foremost of the Achaeans."

Thereon the seer spoke boldly. "The god," he said, "is angry neither about vow nor hecatomb, but for his priest's sake, whom Agamemnon has dishonoured, in that he would not free his daughter nor take a ransom for her; therefore has he sent these evils upon us, and will yet send others. He will not deliver the Danaans from this pestilence till Agamemnon has restored the girl without fee or ransom to her father, and has sent a holy hecatomb to Chryse. Thus we may perhaps appease him."

With these words he sat down, and Agamemnon rose in anger. His heart was black with rage, and his eyes flashed fire as he scowled on Calchas and said, "Seer of evil, you never yet prophesied smooth things concerning me, but have ever loved to foretell that which was evil. You have brought me neither comfort nor performance; and now you come seeing among Danaans, and saying that Apollo has plagued us because I would not take a ransom for this girl, the daughter of Chryses. I have set my heart on keeping her in my own house, for I love her better even than my own wife Clytemnestra, whose peer she is alike in form and feature, in understanding and accomplishments. Still I will give her up if I must, for I would have the people live, not die; but you must find me a prize instead, or I alone among the Argives shall be without one. This is not well; for you behold, all of you, that my prize is to go elsewhither."

And Achilles answered, "Most noble son of Atreus, covetous beyond all mankind, how shall the Achaeans find you another prize? We have no common store from which to take one. Those we took from the cities have been awarded; we cannot disallow the awards that have been made already. Give this girl, therefore, to the god, and if ever Jove grants us to sack the city of Troy we will requite you three and fourfold."

The Trojans, on the other side upon the rising slope of the plain, were gathered round great Hector, noble Polydamas, Aeneas who was honoured by the Trojans like an immortal, and the three sons of Antenor, Polybus, Agenor, and young Acamas beauteous as a god. Hector's round shield showed in the front rank, and as some baneful star that shines for a moment through a rent in the clouds and is again hidden beneath them; even so was Hector now seen in the front ranks and now again in the hindermost, and his bronze armour gleamed like the lightning of aegis-bearing Jove.

And now as a band of reapers mow swathes of wheat or barley upon a rich man's land, and the sheaves fall thick before them, even so did the Trojans and Achaeans fall upon one another; they were in no mood for yielding but fought like wolves, and neither side got the better of the other. Discord was glad as she beheld them, for she was the only god that went among them; the others were not there, but stayed quietly each in his own home among the dells and valleys of Olympus. All of them blamed the son of Saturn for wanting to Live victory to the Trojans, but father Jove heeded them not: he held aloof from all, and sat apart in his all-glorious majesty, looking down upon the city of the Trojans, the ships of the Achaeans, the gleam of bronze, and alike upon the slayers and on the slain.

Now so long as the day waxed and it was still morning, their darts rained thick on one another and the people perished, but as the hour drew nigh when a woodman working in some mountain forest will get his midday meal- for he has felled till his hands are weary; he is tired out, and must now have food- then the Danaans with a cry that rang through all their ranks, broke the battalions of the enemy. Agamemnon led them on, and slew first Bienor, a leader of his people, and afterwards his comrade and charioteer Oileus, who sprang from his chariot and was coming full towards him; but Agamemnon struck him on the forehead with his spear; his bronze visor was of no avail against the weapon, which pierced both bronze and bone, so that his brains were battered in and he was killed in full fight.

Then the son of Peleus lifted up his voice to heaven saying, "Father Jove, is there none of the gods who will take pity upon me, and save me from the river? I do not care what may happen to me afterwards. I blame none of the other dwellers on Olympus so severely as I do my dear mother, who has beguiled and tricked me. She told me I was to fall under the walls of Troy by the flying arrows of Apollo; would that Hector, the best man among the Trojans, might there slay me; then should I fall a hero by the hand of a hero; whereas now it seems that I shall come to a most pitiable end, trapped in this river as though I were some swineherd's boy, who gets carried down a torrent while trying to cross it during a storm."

As soon as he had spoken thus, Neptune and Minerva came up to him in the likeness of two men, and took him by the hand to reassure him. Neptune spoke first. "Son of Peleus," said he, "be not so exceeding fearful; we are two gods, come with Jove's sanction to assist you, I, and Pallas Minerva. It is not your fate to perish in this river; he will abate presently as you will see; moreover we strongly advise you, if you will be guided by us, not to stay your hand from fighting till you have pent the Trojan host within the famed walls of Ilius- as many of them as may escape. Then kill Hector and go back to the ships, for we will vouchsafe you a triumph over him."

When they had so said they went back to the other immortals, but Achilles strove onward over the plain, encouraged by the charge the gods had laid upon him. All was now covered with the flood of waters, and much goodly armour of the youths that had been slain was rifting about, as also many corpses, but he forced his way against the stream, speeding right onwards, nor could the broad waters stay him, for Minerva had endowed him with great strength. Nevertheless Scamander did not slacken in his pursuit, but was still more furious with the son of Peleus. He lifted his waters into a high crest and cried aloud to Simois saying, "Dear brother, let the two of us unite to save this man, or he will sack the mighty city of King Priam, and the Trojans will not hold out against him. Help me at once; fill your streams with water from their sources, rouse all your torrents to a fury; raise your wave on high, and let snags and stones come thundering down you that we may make an end of this savage creature who is now lording it as though he were a god. Nothing shall serve him longer, not strength nor comeliness, nor his fine armour, which forsooth shall soon be lying low in the deep waters covered over with mud. I will wrap him in sand, and pour tons of shingle round him, so that the Achaeans shall not know how to gather his bones for the silt in which I shall have hidden him, and when they celebrate his funeral they need build no barrow."

Shit translation, desu

Juno of the golden throne looked down as she stood upon a peak of Olympus and her heart was gladdened at the sight of him who was at once her brother and her brother-in-law, hurrying hither and thither amid the fighting. Then she turned her eyes to Jove as he sat on the topmost crests of many-fountained Ida, and loathed him. She set herself to think how she might hoodwink him, and in the end she deemed that it would be best for her to go to Ida and array herself in rich attire, in the hope that Jove might become enamoured of her, and wish to embrace her. While he was thus engaged a sweet and careless sleep might be made to steal over his eyes and senses.

She went, therefore, to the room which her son Vulcan had made her, and the doors of which he had cunningly fastened by means of a secret key so that no other god could open them. Here she entered and closed the doors behind her. She cleansed all the dirt from her fair body with ambrosia, then she anointed herself with olive oil, ambrosial, very soft, and scented specially for herself- if it were so much as shaken in the bronze-floored house of Jove, the scent pervaded the universe of heaven and earth. With this she anointed her delicate skin, and then she plaited the fair ambrosial locks that flowed in a stream of golden tresses from her immortal head. She put on the wondrous robe which Minerva had worked for her with consummate art, and had embroidered with manifold devices; she fastened it about her bosom with golden clasps, and she girded herself with a girdle that had a hundred tassels: then she fastened her earrings, three brilliant pendants that glistened most beautifully, through the pierced lobes of her ears, and threw a lovely new veil over her head. She bound her sandals on to her feet, and when she had arrayed herself perfectly to her satisfaction, she left her room and called Venus to come aside and speak to her. "My dear child," said she, "will you do what I am going to ask of you, or will refuse me because you are angry at my being on the Danaan side, while you are on the Trojan?"

Jove's daughter Venus answered, "Juno, august queen of goddesses, daughter of mighty Saturn, say what you want, and I will do it for at once, if I can, and if it can be done at all."

Then Juno told her a lying tale and said, "I want you to endow me with some of those fascinating charms, the spells of which bring all things mortal and immortal to your feet. I am going to the world's end to visit Oceanus (from whom all we gods proceed) and mother Tethys: they received me in their house, took care of me, and brought me up, having taken me over from Rhaea when Jove imprisoned great Saturn in the depths that are under earth and sea. I must go and see them that I may make peace between them; they have been quarrelling, and are so angry that they have not slept with one another this long while; if I can bring them round and restore them to one another's embraces, they will be grateful to me and love me fo

Many muchs better than nothing, trolly memer

>a prose translation
>in a thread about poetry

>copy paste into notepad
>press enter a bunch if you want

go ahead and explain what an "obsolete instrument" is

Not really, it makes no justice to the original.
>Jove, Venus, Juno, Saturn

What are we? Filthy people from Rome?

Not him but that term would probably refer to any instrument that is no longer in use do to having been superseded by another instrument with less technical limitation or more clarity of tuning etc. I'm not sure that the harp belongs in that category but don't act like instruments don't fall out of use and get replaced by more advanced counterparts.

there may be people who read this thread and read those posts who may have never read homer other wise, who may be inspired to find better translations: a single line of homer poorly translated is better than more than half Veeky Forums threads ever made, quit being an irrational unjustifiably pompous elitist braggart uncontributing ass, or find a better version of those lines and post it

ἠὼς δ᾽ ἐk λεχέων παρ᾽ ἀγαυοῦ Τιθωνοῖο
ὄρνυθ᾽, ἵν᾽ ἀθανάτοισι φόως φέροι ἠδὲ βροτοῖσι:
Ζεὺς δ᾽ Ἔριδα προΐαλλε θοὰς ἐπὶ νῆας Ἀχαιῶν
ἀργαλέην, πολέμοιο τέρας μετὰ χερσὶν ἔχουσαν.
5στῆ δ᾽ ἐπ᾽ Ὀδυσσῆος μεγαkήτεϊ νηῒ μελαίνῃ,
ἥ ῥ᾽ ἐν μεσσάτῳ ἔσkε γεγωνέμεν ἀμφοτέρωσε,
ἠμὲν ἐπ᾽ Αἴαντος kλισίας Τελαμωνιάδαο
ἠδ᾽ ἐπ᾽ Ἀχιλλῆος, τοί ῥ᾽ ἔσχατα νῆας ἐΐσας
εἴρυσαν ἠνορέῃ πίσυνοι kαὶ kάρτεϊ χειρῶν
10ἔνθα στᾶσ᾽ ἤϋσε θεὰ μέγα τε δεινόν τε
ὄρθι᾽, Ἀχαιοῖσιν δὲ μέγα σθένος ἔμβαλ᾽ ἑkάστῳ
kαρδίῃ ἄληkτον πολεμίζειν ἠδὲ μάχεσθαι.
τοῖσι δ᾽ ἄφαρ πόλεμος γλυkίων γένετ᾽ ἠὲ νέεσθαι
ἐν νηυσὶ γλαφυρῇσι φίλην ἐς πατρίδα γαῖαν

I am actually reading this right now.
I have a couple of different readings to help me along including hexameter. Here:

archive.org/search.php?query=David Chamberlain, Homer

falling out of use is different from being obsolete. even though a newer instrument may improve technical aspects, every instrument has a unique timbre and artistic potential. just because the piano is more "advanced" doesnt mean something like the clavichord isnt beautiful in its own right. plus, especially with older instruments, consider that composers intended their work to be played on a certain instrument, and ignoring that intention is a sleight to the artist and their work.

>archive.org/search.php?query=David Chamberlain, Homer

Nice, gonna check it out. We have a Homer reading club in my uni, it's a pretty good experiente tbqh.

Ghostface Killah and Bob Dylan.

>obsolete
Computers make all instruments obsolete, so she's nothing special in that regard.
>Nick Drake
Go back to /mu/

I started to focus on my reading methodology and I realized I could pick up a new language while perfecting it. Definitely the next step for anyone carrying their own dictionary.

Attached: hi.png (314x500, 397K)

perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/

If you haven't, check this page. It's the goat.

Ayo, we at the weedgate, waiting for Jake
We want eight ravioli bags, two thirsty villains yelling bellyaches
Heavyweight rhyme writers, hitting the grass that's the ripest
Pull out this kite from this white bitch
Talking 'bout, "Dear Ghost, you the only nigga I know
Like when the cops come, you never hide your toast"
Guest starred in mad shit, CBL, Ice Water metallic
Past tense placed in gold caskets
Dru Hill bitches, specialist lounging at the mosque
Suede kufi wrap, undercover dentist
Rhymes is made of garlic, never in the target when the NARCs hit
Rumor is you might start to spit
You nice Lord, sweet daddy Grace, wind lifted
On the dancefloor, makeover's free followed by gauze
Duncan Hines monument cakes, we never half-baked
Alaskan, sexcapade, push your new court dates
Trauma, hands is like candy canes, lay my balls on ice
The branches in my weed be the vein
Swimsuit issue, darts sent truly from the heart, boo, I miss you
See daddy rock a wristful
Modern-day slave God, graveyard spells fog, get goggles
Laying like needles in the hospital
Five steps to conquer, ask Bernadette, Baguette swizzle
Ziploc your ear, hear thistle

No, I'm afraid obsolete means nothing more than "not in use or production anymore." It's certainly nice to be able to use period instruments for pieces written for them, but it's not an absolute requisite, and composers tend to make use of the "best" (technically) instruments that are available to them in any given period, naturally. Thus period instruments are considered just that and generally only used in such contexts.

Not whilst Jeff Mangum is still flying his aeroplane over the sea

>Computers make all instruments obsolete
this is what millennials really think

Very useful.

No lie. Imagine being unfamiliar with the slang and reading this for the first time. The meter and rhyme scheme are audacious and irreverent, employing yet imploding traditional poetic meter and techniques. The jargon is almost vertiginous in density, and the color of GFK's language sparkles on the page. Much more interesting than a lot of stuff people will prop up as canon.

Already woke, spared a joke, barely spoke, rarely smoke
Stared at folks when properly provoked, mirror broke
Here, share strawberry morning, gone an more important spawning
Torn in, poor men sworn in
Cornish hens switching positions, auditioning morticians
Saw it in a vision, ignoring prison
Ignoramuses enlist and sound dumb
Found 'em drowned in cow's dung, crowns flung
Rings a Tinkerbell, sing for things that's frail as a fingernail
Bring a scale, stale ginger lingers
Seven figures invigor
Nigga, fresh from out the jail, alpha male
Sickest ninja injury this century, enter plea
Lend sympathy to limper Simple Simon rhyming emcees
Trees is free, please leave a key
These meagre fleas, he's the breeze
And she's the bees knees for sheez
G's of G's
Seize property, shopper sprees, chop the cheese
Drop the grease to stop diseases, gee wiz pa!
DOOM rock grandma like the kumbaya
Mama was a ho hopper, papa was a Rolling Stone star like Obama
Pull a card like oh drama
Civil liberties
These little titties abilities riddle me, middle C
Give a MC a rectal hysterectomy
Lecture on removal of the bowels, foul technically
Don't expect to see the recipe
Until we receive the check as well as the collection fee
More wreck than Section Z
What you expect to get for free?
Shit from me, history
The key, plucked it off the mayor
Chucked it in the ol' tar pit off La Brea, player
They say he's gone too far
DOOM'll catch em after Jumah on cue lacka!!
Do whatcha gotta do, grarrrr
The rumors are not true, got two ma
No prob, got the job, hot-barred heart throb
Scotchguard the bar with cotton swabs, dart lob
Bake a cake, sweet
Jamaica trade in treats on the beach
Make her skeet til her feets meet

No it's dumb and holds no great substance. Stop trying to justify your wiggerism.

As much as I love DOOM, he's a fucking tryhard, interested more in dazzling with rapid-fire assonance than in metaphor and density of ideas. His verse doesn't even come close to the GFK one posted above.

To be fair I like tryhard poets as well. To me sound is the most important quality. But I concur.

maybe biased cause the beat
youtube.com/watch?v=cGeI10EyPAc

MF dooms beats are ridiculously good
youtube.com/watch?v=dq-caoJ_LgA

Now the thread turned to utter shit. This is the issue with /mu/ threads on Veeky Forums.

Same here. I love the construction of the sound and how it tumbles through the ear, but it's not much more than aural candy. GFK's actually prompts reflection.

Almost a good thread. Damn kids.
It is about time to sage and report.

>not seeing the inherent connections between literature and music
>not extending one's conception of the poetic tradition to include contemporary forms
>not recognizing that threads turn to shit only when anons like you refuse to engage in meaningful discussion and critical analysis because of a petty sense of superiority

>*pouty face* I posted my in greek stanza of Homer and now these damn' wiggers are containmenating the poetic grace with their monkey music... Jove please, by Zeus and the muses I had nothing to do with this, my professor would be so disappointed *double pouty face*

>Almost a good thread.
Not really. Shitty /mu/ bait like should just be deleted on sight.

Actually I posted the greek stanza and the doom lyrics :(

>when green text is longer than post

Attached: ky.png (600x401, 172K)

>muh traditional connection
Rap is an inherently shit form that's never produced work worthy of poetic canon. It's predominantly phonetic play and sense of style over substance, working in a cultural atmosphere that's braindead and thrives on low-brow pleasure or socio-political trite.
Literally kys.

>when refuting greentext with greentext to show superiority to greentext

>post still longer
>still can't meme
Did I stutter?

Attached: kys.png (398x312, 73K)

>doesnt know what greentexts are or can be
>makes this post being guilty of what accusing others of being guilty of
>it wasnt longer than the post (which if you read chapter 7 section 3.2C the doctrine clearly states it must be) because the image counts as 30 letter lengths!

Y'all'must'n't'd've'd known.
Talking to you in more than four languages, not even Greek, and you are barely babbling in one. I am hoping you aren't the genius who decided to include vertiginous in his "critique". If not, that makes you the guy talking about contemporary poetry and not even using memes. You are so owned I am pretty sure this board is the only place that would know it.

Attached: TWD.png (246x246, 97K)

nope. I made these posts:

She's definitely great, and definitely not as good as Dylan. Her lyrics just don't mix as smoothly with the music.

Her songs are composed with a great deal of fenticil!