So let me get this straight:

So let me get this straight:
If I'm a 18 y/o dude, I can't write anything of real value?
What's the minimal age for writing something good then?

Attached: whatdolit.jpg (1600x900, 53K)

If you want to write good stuff at a young age, then go for lyric poetry.
Keats, Shelly, Dylan Thomas, Rimbaud etc all wrote a bunch of great stuff in their late teens or early twenties.
However, there is just one drawback - you have to be a great lyric poet, which you almost certainly aren't.

For a novel I would say late 20s at the earliest as it requires a lot more life experience.

IIRC, Emily Bronte was 27 when she wrote Wuthering Heights. I can't offhand think of anyone younger doing a really good job.

>If you want to write good stuff at a young age, then go for lyric poetry
Jesus I just want to write a short dark fantasy book.

Unironically covert to Judaism

It should be possible to write a decent short dark fantasy book in one's twenties.
Depends how far you've got already, of course.

I can't even grasp the joke here

Either its a Wünderkind reference or its to do with them becoming men at 13 (bar-mitzvah) or its just a retarded "Jews get published" jab

Mary Shelly with Frankenstein, though that was more or less a collaborative effort.

Attached: deep-plot.gif (400x225, 1.52M)

>its just a retarded "Jews get published" jab
I'll go with this

Francoise Sagan published Bonjour Tristesse at 17 I think.

Yeah, that would qualify, though of course it's at the "obsessive adolescent fever-dream" end of the novel spectrum, rather than the "broad canvas encompassing all human experience" end :)

18, actually. A romance drama. Meh.

It has nothing to do with your age, it's just that you're mental trash raised in an era of sitcoms and reality tv.

Probably not, try anyway. It's good practice if nothing else

Poetry yes. Novels no.

Fitzgerald wrote well young. This Side of Paradise is a masterpiece and he wrote it at ~22

I d-don't like poetry.

Why don't you not be a faggot and write what you want rather than taking random opinions for your own passion?

an 18 year old can write whatever they want, it won't be read because there is a dwindling number of people who are interested in high brow lit, middlebrow and low brow are more popular than ever but no one reads that shit, they buy it and skim or quit a quarter of the way through. Look around you, its a dead medium. This board runs off of people not being able to cope with techne at all, as does Veeky Forums, /tv/ is probably sanest board on this website now that I think about it. No one will read it, not even your friends and family. That's why I've never shared my work, its fucking pointless, I do it to blow off steam and collate my ideas for application at a later date.

>as does Veeky Forums, /tv/ is probably sanest board on this website now that I think about it
Oh you're baiting I see

user, very few authors create anything of real value on their first attempts at writing. That's the real reason great stories show up later in an author's life. Just start writing so you'll be in good practice when something worthwhile pops into your head

Just keep writing. The more you write, the better you'll get at it.

>If I'm a 18 y/o dude, I can't write anything of real value?
Who says? That's not true at all. Just start writing and see how it goes. It's a process and the more you write the better you can develop. Just do it.

Lie about the age?

I'm really tired of Eliot and everyone's next hot take on him. But he says that serious writing begins around age 25.

The Bronte family had an imaginary universe the entire family contributed lore to from the time Emily was 9. That's a fast track to success.