Did you enjoy Catcher in the Rye? Personally, I loved it

Did you enjoy Catcher in the Rye? Personally, I loved it

Attached: catcherintherye.jpg (220x346, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

themillions.com/2018/02/the-catcher-in-the-rye.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>sitting in the rain while watching his little sister on a carrusel playing smoke gets in your eye
is this dare I say it... kino

read it around Christmas 2 years ago. Something about the book's setting helped me get in the holiday spirit. Pretty comfy shit

Definitely was kino. I think of that part of the book pretty often, desu

Very comfy book. I wish I could read another one like it, or with a character as relatable as Holden

Have you repeatedly had older men try to touch you?

Yes, is it weird? My father says it's normal.

>Catcher in the Rye?
Good for bathroom reading when you run out of asswipe.

It is weird and definitely not normal. My first time was at the gym. Very unsettling experience. But I've had other older men make advances in me before, offer to buy my alcohol, etc.

Ye, me too. I guess that the fact that I'm hairless makes thing worse.

I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around — nobody big, I mean — except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff — I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be. I know it's crazy.”

Yeah, I'm the smooth and hairless type, too. I went through a phase when I was younger where I wore panties and cammed for guys, but aside from that I never wanted homosexual contact. Just keep finding myself in these gay situations, tho.

Book was great, though. Been meaning to re-read it. Definitely read Nine Stories and Franny & Zooey if you haven't.

First, I hated. Then I slowly realized that I was basically Holden. Now I liek

I hate Veeky Forums so fucking much
yes, he wants to protect them from adults and authority figures or society. he's not a pedophile fuck off

When the fuck did I ever imply that he's a pedo? Are you retarded? I was literally just quoting my favorite part from the book

Then get out, fag

You've been on here too long. Go to bed.

>themillions.com/2018/02/the-catcher-in-the-rye.html

I enjoyed Catcher in the Rye as I've rarely related to a character as much as Holden.

don't believe you, you people are evil sociopaths everything you do is mockery and self-deprecation
no.
i'm on Veeky Forums upwards of 8-10 hours a day

lol I need you need a therapist or something

only ledditors don't understand it

shits amazing

Hated it in high school, love it now. Nine Stories is excellent.

Not only was it one of my favorite things I was exposed to in school, but learning about the author and his experiences in world war two, as well as his recluse lifestyle made makes the story that much more interesting. the perfect book for whenever I feel lonely

how do you relateto the main character

>i'm on Veeky Forums upwards of 8-10 hours a day
Good God man, go read a book or something.

He is angsty, cynical, depressed. He is intelligent, but lies constantly. He alternates between moments of great tenderness and insight, and extremely provocative behavior. He is obsessed by innocence, or rather the loss of it, but can't deal maturely with adult behaviors. He is bothered by changes in his sixteen year-old body, desirous of women but suspicious of their motives, is outwardly homophobic, but fascinated by perverted behavior. We're led to believe it's a coming of age novel like David Copperfield, which the novels references, but we end up descending further into madness instead of ending on a happy note.

The novel sets up Mr. Antolini as a trusted man only to have us lose our trust (and innocence) when he wakes Holden up with an unwanted sexual advance. Holden is an abuse victim. He's damaged in some way. But throughout the novel Holden witnesses the phoneyness of men who force their way onto women.

Outwardly he's a typical user. We can imagine him posting memes, fapping to trap threads (and feeling great shame afterwards), and just generally shit-posting. I'm not saying we've all been sexually abused, but a lot of people here have had their trust misplaced and innocence lost in other ways.

And that whole bit with Jane and forcing kisses on her mouth, playing chess, suspecting her step-father "got wise" with her, attacking Stradlater after his date with her, etc. If that's not a green-text story then I don't know what is.

quite a lot, actually
it was fun but definitely had a deeper meaning, and the characterization of holden himself is top-tier

ledditors don't understand it because they're the phoniest people in the world.

Is Holden a phony?

Huckleberry Finn, Catcher and Winnesburg Ohio are THE preeminent Great American Novels

and in the end he realized all along that he was the catcher in the rye.

well, if you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll wanna know is that i'm a brainlet that gets intimidated by fictional characters. i know this is all backasswards and all, and i know what you would tell me - for chrissake, grow up, and all that kind of crap. but i tell you, i read the book at about the same age as Holden is in it, and i admit i was kind of jealous of him

he has a cute imouto and comes from a good home and all, and is intellectual and not mundane while still being a normalfag with girlfriends, and he still complains, the phony

that's just the retarded part of my brain though, i really enjoyed the book - the slang style of writing cracked me up something fierce, you know. i mean it really god damn made me laugh out loud sometimes

Attached: 1492102920337.png (657x527, 36K)

>brainlet
>cant even get Holden's voice down for a single shitpost

You got that right

my favorite part, it tells so much about our society
>"Oh, sure! I like somebody to stick to the point and all. But I don't like them to
stick too much to the point. I don't know. I guess I don't like it when somebody sticks to
the point all the time. The boys that got the best marks in Oral Expression were the ones
that stuck to the point all the time--I admit it. But there was this one boy, Richard
Kinsella. He didn't stick to the point too much, and they were always yelling 'Digression!'
at him. It was terrible, because in the first place, he was a very nervous guy--I mean he
was a very nervous guy--and his lips were always shaking whenever it was his time to
make a speech, and you could hardly hear him if you were sitting way in the back of the
room. When his lips sort of quit shaking a little bit, though, I liked his speeches better
than anybody else's. He practically flunked
the course, though, too. He got a D plus
because they kept yelling 'Digression!' at him all the time. For instance, he made this
speech about this farm his father bought in Vermont. They kept yelling 'Digression!' at
him the whole time he was making it, and this teacher, Mr. Vinson, gave him an F on it
because he hadn't told what kind of animals and vegetables and stuff grew on the farm
and all. What he did was, Richard Kinsella,
he'd start telling you all about that stuff--then
all of a sudden he'd start telling you about this letter his mother got from his uncle, and
how his uncle got polio and all when he was forty-two years old, and how he wouldn't let
anybody come to see him in the hospital because he didn't want anybody to see him with
a brace on. It didn't have much to do with the farm--I admit it--but it was nice. It's nice
when somebody tells you about their uncle. Especially when they start out telling you
about their father's farm and then all of a sudden get more interested in their uncle. I
mean it's dirty to keep yelling 'Digression!' at him when he's all nice and excited. I don't
know. It's hard to explain." I didn't feel too much like trying, either. For one thing, I had
this terrific headache all of a sudden. I wished to God old Mrs. Antolini would come in
with the coffee. That's something that annoys hell out of me--I mean if somebody says
the coffee's all ready and it isn't.

i wasn't trying to, i wrote it honestly and then edited in some holdenisms to try to be funny
fuck off desu

calling out someone for trying, what a phony!

It's a good litmus test for how someone looks at their world, those who only glance shallowly are the ones who dismiss Holden as a petulant child.

>I wasnt trying
>he was trying

Chrissake

Yes. It gets better as you get older.

I agree. So weird they give it to high schools and offer the shallowest of readings.

What's your favorite story?
I finished The Laughing Man recently, but haven't had time to keep going. So far, my favorite is probably Just Before the War with the Eskimos. I really dug the dialogue and the off beat characters and suffocating setting, but like a lot of Salinger's short stories, I feel they build up like a crescendo and kinda end on an out of tune sour note that makes you say what the fuck.

I've thought about it a lot and I've come to love Holden. Admittedly he is a dick, but I can't deny I see myself in him when I was his age. I relate to him a lot, especially his whole deal with phonies.

Attached: 1507074121592.jpg (800x800, 55K)

Not that guy, but I teared up in whichever one is about that conversation between the 2 drunk ladies.

yes 10/10

i wasn't trying to "get his voice down", i was trying to be funny
please don't bully anymore

Attached: 1480078544559.png (658x662, 59K)

one of the best books about innocence and one of the few books worth crying over