Am I missing something here?

PackManBrainlure
PackManBrainlure

Am I missing something here?

Neurotic prose about sex

Reads almost YA

Attached: 51SrWRJAjUL.-SX323-BO1,204,203,200-.jpg (36 KB, 325x499)

Other urls found in this thread:

electricliterature.com/men-recommend-david-foster-wallace-to-me-7889a9dc6f03

Burnblaze
Burnblaze

DFW was a glorified YA writter.

Stark_Naked
Stark_Naked

DFW at his most insincere. A lot of the stories in here feel like he's trying to say something he doesn't really believe in.

ZeroReborn
ZeroReborn

Literally a story where a guy advocates for rape
trying to say something he doesn't really believe in
Nothing gets past you, user.

Stupidasole
Stupidasole

t. brainlet

the interview vignettes are more a device to keep the larger stories, which are the meat of the book, flowing together

Supergrass
Supergrass

some stories are shit but it works with the book!!

GoogleCat
GoogleCat

the story of the father on his deathbed confessing he hates his son is one of the best stories ive eve read

CodeBuns
CodeBuns

There's some really cool shit in there. If you come at it with the notion that DFW is glorified YA, then it's not going to work for you.

w8t4u
w8t4u

Didn't care for most of the stories, a few were pretty good though, the swimming pool story comes to mind.

lostmypassword
lostmypassword

Was DFW even sincere?

Snarelure
Snarelure

For a while, I was seeing a guy who really liked David Foster Wallace. He once forced me to do cocaine by shoving it inside me during sex. He wasn’t the first man to recommend Wallace, but he’s the last whose suggestion I pretended to consider. So while I’ve never read a book by Wallace, I’m preemptively uninterested in your opinion about it.

electricliterature.com/men-recommend-david-foster-wallace-to-me-7889a9dc6f03

Veeky Forums on SUICIDE WATCH!

Attached: seesthruurmisogyny.jpg (21 KB, 400x400)

Boy_vs_Girl
Boy_vs_Girl

It's weird how openly tribal leftist taste is. I see shit like this all the time: "so-and-so likes it, and that's evidence enough that it's bad."

RumChicken
RumChicken

So while I’ve never read a book by Wallace, I’m preemptively uninterested in your opinion about it.
I really hate this attitude of judging a book based on those who read it. Very shallow.

FastChef
FastChef

All wrong.
Obviously he didn't "believe" this stuff. The crux of the book is that it's a document found in the far future made up of recordings of a woman researching love who gets raped in the process.
Mixed in iwth this is meta stuff about David's life and his growing disillusion.

RavySnake
RavySnake

Read the swimming pool story and dropped it. The prose was very strange and I don't think I was getting it. Also, I don't deal well with the simultaneous imagery of pools and cum thanks to Mr. Palahniuk.

Attached: Hauntedcvr.jpg (9 KB, 261x381)

Spazyfool
Spazyfool

"Neurotic prose about sex" is the name of my ska band.

Fried_Sushi
Fried_Sushi

The prose was very strange and I don't think I was getting it

There's nothing to really "get" prose-wise, DFW was just a cloying, dishonest tryhard

King_Martha
King_Martha

a five-line vignette is a story

you're not helping your cause, even if they're flat exchanges, they're still well-written and engaging

Carnalpleasure
Carnalpleasure

when does she get raped?

Raving_Cute
Raving_Cute

Well, The Depressed Person really sucked.
Dayum this one was shit too.

w8t4u
w8t4u

Every time I encounter this, I just want to giggle.

A one-inch-penis fetus-raper recommended [book] to me, therefore [book] is bad.

PurpleCharger
PurpleCharger

this is liberalism, not leftism

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit