So DFW, apparently a smart man, killed himself

So DFW, apparently a smart man, killed himself.

I don't get how the refutation "you're going to die anyway in the not too distant future" doesn't stop anyone from killing themselves?

Attached: david_foster_wallace.jpg (1024x576, 51K)

He had clinical depression. Goddammit.

If the first half of the book sucks, are you going to finish the book?

If it's the only book I'll ever have, yes.

Shit analogy, you have one life, you can aleayd pick up another book. Aldo heard his doc fucked up and switched his anti depressants which fucked him

so?
>rich
>smart
>talented
>respected
>audience pussy whenever he wants
>white
>male

>sucks

Depression doesn't just magically take control of your decisions and tell you what to do retards. It was him who decided to kill himself and he did it for a reason (HINT: Life is shitty and its not worth enduring)

you realize that you're effectively asking the question "why do suicidal people kill themselves" don't you

depression =/= suicidal

So, all his positive qualities become irrelevant in the presence of a mental disorder (and some fiasco with the treatment and meds, I think). We only see the superficial context, not full context.

you can be depressed without feeling suicidal but you can't feel suicidal without depression

youre making it superficial by saying "mental disorder"

And you're making it superficial by saying "oh what a chad he was: smart, rich, etc, why did he kill himself?! he had everything!". The truth is, it wasn't his first attempt.

No thats still stupid, were Samurai who commited sepeku depressed?
Sometimes there's simply rationally good reason to kill yourself

Life is the book your Moroons
Makes you think--doesn't it

here's a starving african childs perspective of you
>has clean water
>food too
>apartment with AC
>internet

you see what i'm getting at?

>Makes you think--doesn't it
No, it doesn't. It's simple. He entered a poorly-treated depression phase and off himself. He didn't go "oh I'm so handsome and rich, I'll never kill myself", that's not how it happens.

>being this simple
Ya know user, good for you. Revel in your basicity

did he have a qt loving gf though?

I'm probably going to end up killing myself. The issue is that the latter part of one's life isn't really worth the suffering inherent to it unless you're still capable of producing good work. I'm not even 30 and I have tinnitus and a gammy leg; I can't imagine what the physical vicissitudes of old age are like, and whether or not they're worth suffering through just to continue breathing for a couple more decades.

>Revel in your basicity
"Oh so handsome and smart and rich, he had everything! Why did he kill himself?? I don't get it!". Don't talk to me about basicity.

He had an art thot Jewess wife. Make of that what you will

yes, he had a pretty wife.

Attached: 1520618037705s.jpg (125x93, 2K)

Having your basic needs met and a few luxuries doesn't provide for a meaningful existence, but that might be the point you're making as well.

What's the best day of the week to kill oneself?

Obviously Sunday. Even when I'm relatively happy there's something morbid and bleak about Sundays.

Was he even sincere?

>African child
>strong family centered community
>active outdoor lifestyle
>enthusiastic belief in God
>no need to work, just take food from NGOs

Would unironically trade my life with Umkenbo

The day of the sun, huh? Makes sense.

yea, but does it matter?

>Depression doesn't just magically take control of your decisions and tell you what to do retards.
That is quite literally exactly what mental illness does user

Absolutely 100% wrong, even hardcore Schizophrenics do not operate in such a way

>I am mentally retarded
ftfy

The brain is a system of formating thoughts user, thoughts never simply appear out of the ether, they all a logic to them and they all have a process through which that logic is generated.
Depression in particular is not a mental illness whatsoever. There is nothing irrational about wanting to kill yourself

I have this suspicious inkling he never could break from the post-ironic disposition he opposed. When you read the moments in his writing where he suddenly shifts to a humble midwestern voice after effortlessly weaving academic jargon and elevated diction together you are left with an impression of someone desperately trying to appear humble and relatable, despite all the indicators that say otherwise.

hmm, you make a good point Satan

>I have this suspicious inkling he never could break from the post-ironic disposition he opposed.

Definitely agree with you, if you read his biography with DT Max he (that is DFW) was well aware of this

Depression is literally classified as a mental illness retard

Depression is a chemical unbalance in the brain, so yeah, it's a mental illness.

Means literally nothing. A bunch of Jews can get together and label anything a mental illness.
There's no such thing as chemical "unbalance" [sic]. The brain does not operate like bloody cake recipe. All brains have their own individual chemical composition with their own tolerances, receptors and areas of super and sub median activity. To assume negative thoughts are rooted in a mere chemical shows a totally naive idea of the mind and in fact any two treatments for depression can involve totally different chemicals working towards totally different models of where they aim the mind to end up

>He thinks that ngos reach every poor person

Attached: JPEG_20171230_113829.jpg (460x424, 29K)

>its a a bunch of litfags start pretending they know what depression/mental-illness and how it manifests chapter

Because I enjoy life and it’s near limitless opportunity, you 16 year old twat.

>twat

It is pointless to argue with anons on Veeky Forums about mental illness or anything past their obscenely small view of the world. Just dont bother.

So the answer to your question op:
Go fuck yourself you brainlet fuck.

Attached: 1517288832950.jpg (300x291, 11K)

>I don't get how the refutation "you're going to die anyway in the not too distant future" doesn't stop anyone from killing themselves?
why not do it now then? why even wait?

>only have one life
kek. Still fucked up to kill yourself though. You'll just pop into your next life in the fucked up spiritual state you left the last one. Might as well not be a lazy pos and fix it now.

holy shit

Attached: karen-green.png (175x175, 28K)

>believes there's a "next life"
c'mon, user, you can't be this naive, can you?

Attached: 1457215436764s.jpg (214x250, 10K)

This argument makes zero sense because any logical/self-aware person would see all those positives and further wonder why they wanted to off themselves. Also, none of those things are enough to prevent taking your own life, anyways lol

I'm tempted to paypal you $100k, putting myself in a fuckton of debt, just so you can see that you're still just a shitty faggot but slightly richer

DFW stands for:

D getting piss
F all over my
W cock

Depression as a chemical imbalance is actually rare, most people who suffer from depression is situational cause or struggle to fulimd meaning in what they do

>fulimd
fulfill?

>money=soul
>respect=friendship
>pussy=love
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

>The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.
honestly do you faggots even read anymore
christ you get more embarrassing every day

>soul

spook

that is so fucking stupid it hurts

Schopenhauer said this more concisely, with less melodrama, and coined a great new word in the process.

Kek, always the jews. pol/ was right again.

>pol/
You have to go back

Attached: 1508894786052.png (1178x613, 136K)

Attached: litsign.png (600x900, 894K)

Show me, spoonfeed me.

>A bunch of Jews can get together and label anything a mental illness

Why do you even come here? It's obvious you don't read, nor even want to.

>apparently a smart man

Attached: 1522139801004.jpg (500x552, 195K)

Because there comes a time when the weight of the depression becomes too much to bear and the various layers of your humanity begin to peel and your soul begins to crack. It is an excruciatingly painful existence and no superficial achievements like money and fame will ease the pain. DFW had already tried to kill himself on multiple occasions previously, I imagine the weight on his shoulders only grew heavier with each failed attempt.

I think Franzen said that he had reached a block when writing The Pale King and he tried taking the anti-depressives off to see if he could regain his inspiration. He probably didn't and the old depression hit him in full force on top of that.
Try to imagine it: middle aged, sense of worthlessness, no longer able to advance your career, the knowledge that you are only functional because of some pills, not taking those pills. People kill themselves for much less.

You should apply for disability benefits since you're genuinely retarded.

Yes, I can see it. But Franzen is a faggot, though

DFW= Mozart
Franzen=Salieri

Why kill myself now when I'll die and become nothing eitherway.

the part where you started being 110% retarded was the part where you leaped, with the energy and fervor of a poorly-trained undergraduate at a medium-low tier midwest state college, from the physical determinism underlying human brain chemistry to

"logic"

and

"irrationality"

in such an absurd and nonsensical fashion that i can scarcely begin to apprehend the confused, disjointed mess of thoughts which occupy your mind, to the extent that you have one at all

>DFW=Mozart
ouch

You are actually retarded. Not even the most hardcore advocates for freewill (which I do think we have some of) could deny that there are external forces that influence our decision-making, and with medications that fuck with your brain you could easily fuck up your brain chemistry, even if only momentarily, to act in a way that you would never had that influencer been there.
>inb4 muh discipline
No shit that can help to a degree but not everyone practices it and it can only take you so far.

hey guys david forster wallarce here, im a fish and this is my water. but you won't know about that until you're older. haha!