Were there any other heated standoffs in history like the Cuban Missile Crisis...

Were there any other heated standoffs in history like the Cuban Missile Crisis? All I can think of is day-to-day North Korea shenanigans.

Did these standoffs only start happening after the advent of nukes?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_rocket_incident
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Crisis_of_1961
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Scorpion_(SSN-589)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_(2013_film))
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incident_at_Pristina_airport
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kargil_War
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Soviet_border_conflict
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Rimon_20
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suez_Crisis
britishpathe.com/video/russian-ship-which-was-attacked-by-us-planes-of-vi
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yom_Kippur_War#Soviet_threat_of_intervention
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Russian_constitutional_crisis
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_War
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Able_Archer_83
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panjdeh_incident
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venezuelan_crisis_of_1902–03
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fashoda_Incident
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Moroccan_Crisis
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislav_Petrov
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Lines_Flight_007
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Was there any other time in history where we were close to using annihilating weaponry against each other?

Stupid question OP.

I know I framed my question poorly. I just want to know if leaders got into standoff situations like the cold war before they had weapons of mass destruction. Wouldn't they have just said "big deal" and invaded anyway because there's no risk of total annihilation?

For nuclear age ones...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_rocket_incident
A research rocket is temporarily mistaken for a submarine launched ballistic missile by Russia.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Crisis_of_1961
A standoff between US and Soviet tanks when the Soviets tried to block US entry to Berlin.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Scorpion_(SSN-589)
There are theories that a mini-WW3 happened under the sea in 1968 and was agreed to be covered up. Very much unproven but very interesting nonetheless. Made into a hollywood movie: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_(2013_film))

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incident_at_Pristina_airport
Standoff between NATO and Russia in 1999, Supreme Allied Commander of Europe Wesley Clark orders British commander to attack a Russian airbase with tanks, he refuses the order and Clark gets fired.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kargil_War
The only time two nuclear armed powers have gone to war

there's way more nukey ones

You forgot a big one.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Soviet_border_conflict

But yeah, shit has gone down.

Oh yeah that too. Didn't the Soviets plan a pre-emptive strike on China's nukes too?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Rimon_20

Air battle between Israel and the Soviet Union

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suez_Crisis

Egyptian president nationalizes the Suez Canal. Britain, France and Israel attack Egypt. The Soviet Union threaten (bluff) to nuke all involved and the Americans prepare to attack the British navy. War is called off and Brits lose their empire.

britishpathe.com/video/russian-ship-which-was-attacked-by-us-planes-of-vi

US mistakenly attack Soviet ship in the Gulf of Tonkin.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yom_Kippur_War#Soviet_threat_of_intervention

Soviets threatened to intervene in the Yom Kippur War. There came a point where Israel was losing and preparing to use nukes against the arabs until the US made a massive resupply effort.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Russian_constitutional_crisis

Commies tried to launch a coup against Boris Yeltsin, if they won it could have led to WW3

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_War

US goes to DEFCON 2, ready for nuclear retaliation in the event that Saddam uses chemical weapons

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Able_Archer_83

WWI was an example of a heated standoff that went wrong for everyone involved.

You forgot Able Archer 83, pretty much the closet the world ever was to nuclear war.

Monitoring this thread as this shit is highly interesting. I would like to see other pre-Nuclear standoff situations where two huge powers were on the verge of potentially wrecking each other as well.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panjdeh_incident

The closest the Great Game ever got to full scaled conflict between Russia and Britain.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venezuelan_crisis_of_1902–03

Teddy threatened to go to war with Germany if they invaded Venezuela.

More like this

Here's one.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fashoda_Incident

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Moroccan_Crisis

contributing

Nice. I've got some good stuff to read up on tonight. Stuff like this is just as fascinating as the post nuclear era stuff. Any others anyone would like to post is appreciate as well. Cheers

Apparently James Blunt was the scimitar commander that was told to fire on the airport.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War

The Samoa Crisis. There was a minor naval skirmish between the Kaiserliche Marine and the US Navy that was halted by inclement weather before it could escalate further. Contrary to popular belief, the US and Germany were not on very good terms even before WWI broke out. The US also almost went to war with France over Mexico in the 1860's after the Civil War ended.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislav_Petrov

Cant believe no one mentioned this one.

In the 1973 war Israel began to mobilize nuclear weapons until the us interviened. it almost devolved into a us/soviet nuclear war.

>Didn't the Soviets plan a pre-emptive strike on China's nukes too?

yeah, and at the time, the Soviets were even considering asking for US aid on the matter.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Lines_Flight_007

>Korean Air Lines Flight 007 (also known as KAL007 and KE007)[note 2] was a scheduled Korean Air Lines flight from New York City to Seoul via Anchorage. On September 1, 1983, the airliner serving the flight was shot down by a Soviet Su-15 interceptor, near Moneron Island west of Sakhalin in the Sea of Japan. The interceptor's pilot was Major Gennadi Osipovich. All 269 passengers and crew aboard were killed, including Larry McDonald, a Representative from Georgia in the United States House of Representatives. The aircraft was en route from Anchorage, Alaska, to Seoul when it flew through Soviet prohibited airspace around the time of a U.S. aerial reconnaissance mission.

>The Soviet Union initially denied knowledge of the incident,[2] but later admitted shooting it down, claiming that the aircraft was on a MASINT spy mission.[3] The Politburo of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union said it was a deliberate provocation by the United States[4] to test the Soviet Union's military preparedness, or even to provoke a war. The White House accused the Soviet Union of obstructing search and rescue operations.[5] The Soviet Armed Forces suppressed evidence sought by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) investigation, such as the flight data recorders,[6] which were released eight years later after the dissolution of the Soviet Union.[7]

>The incident was one of the most tense moments of the Cold War and resulted in an escalation of anti-Soviet sentiment, particularly in the United States. The opposing points of view on the incident were never fully resolved; consequently, several groups continue to dispute official reports and offer alternative theories of the event. The subsequent release of Korean Air Lines Flight 007 transcripts and flight recorders by the Russian Federation has clarified some details.

What a boss

Will Russia's recent campaigns into Ukraine be seen as one of these against NATO in the future?

what is Able Archer '83

the Dogger Bank incident

He was there, but the actual commander who refused the order was General Mike Jackson

>The Samoa Crisis
I actually learned about this at uni. The best part about it is that fighting started because US sailors taunted German sailors by mockingly singing Hoch der Kaiser

russia is a reactionist regional power. ukraine is a non-NATO, non-EU state. Ukraine is and has always been closely linked to the russian sphere of influence and the very core of its culture and existence- there are no such economic, cultural, industrial, ethnic links between NATO and ukraine, none at all. the only purpose ukraine serves to brussels and washington is to "contain" and oppose putinism; for westerners there is nothing in ukraine worth dying for. russians on the other hand have plenty to die for in ukraine. the dutch referendum and overwhelming french and german opposition to building more bases closer to russia makes this disparity in commitment clear

there is no "recent campaign", the only campaign was crimea. mixed support, mostly from volunteers, for the separatists in Donbass is not a campaign, it's simply the new status quo. acquiring the Donbass, Odessa, and the Mariupol corridor would be far more trouble than it's worth, despite russians being in far more danger there than they ever have been in Crimea. that's why it has not happened

if NATO supports unconstitutional regime change in Kiev, flies their spy planes closer and closer to the most secret facilities in russia, and runs exercises right on russian borders, it's not a campaign or a provocation when the kremlin doubles down on ukraine or buzzes american ships*, it's simply a reaction

*: in the cold war when this happened, the offender would have his target lighted up and weapons ready. this doesn't happen anymore. things are serious, but it's not to the point how it used to be.

>mfw the original Maidan government had the support of barely half the Ukrainian population and Russian money could easily have undone the revolution in time, the way it did with the last one
>mfw the invasion overturned literally hundreds of years of historical alliance in a matter of months
>mfw the areas of Ukraine that would have rendered the new government impotent are instead role playing as the CSA and having no effect on electoral politics
>mfw the nationalist backlash has poisoned Russia on the Ukrainian political stage
>mfw the rest of eastern Europe is turning towards NATO and the EU out of fear of the Russians shitting on them too
>mfw even Lukashenko is freaking out
>mfw Russia played itself without the US having to do anything

The Chinese didn't have nukes in any sizeable quantity at the time.

>Petrov has said he does not know that he should regard himself as a hero for what he did that day.[12] In an interview for the film The Man Who Saved the World, Petrov says, "All that happened didn't matter to me — it was my job. I was simply doing my job, and I was the right person at the right time, that's all. My late wife for 10 years knew nothing about it. 'So what did you do?' she asked me. 'Nothing. I did nothing.'"

You seem to think Ukraine was ever going back to Russia after Maidan.

The Ukraine was anti-Russian 1991-2005 though

This wasn't even the first time in the decade that there had been a revolution against that particular guy.

Look at the Orange Revolution in 2004.

As long as Ukraine was about 40% ethnic Russian, it would have been impossible to resist the Kremlin.

Now even the ethnic Russians hate Russia, for tearing their country to pieces.

The Russian invasion made the Maidan permanent.

Bitch ass nigga played himself.

The July Crisis of 1914

Only it wasn't avoided at the last minute