How common a practice was it for knights to wear completely insane things on their helmets?

How common a practice was it for knights to wear completely insane things on their helmets?

Other urls found in this thread:

digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/cpg848
youtube.com/watch?v=YZmCp7NocMA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilles_de_Rais
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Only in tourneys, you want people to recognize you for very far and see how badass you are.
Well some guy probably did it on a regular basis, but you would call him an original... or a samurai.

Pretty common, IIRC removing the crests was one of those terrible Victorian preservation things

Damn this dude gets all the bitches.

yeah fuckin really.

>profession in life is to kill people
>wear a fuckin bird on your head
>get not one but two qt blonde damsels who want you
>look right out of the page towards the viewer across the gulf of centuries with a 'what the fuck are you gonna do about it knave' look

Girls love the BBC (blackbird cock).

Damn Medieval blonde women really loved men with birds!

you know what they say about the size of a knight's helm

While it is true that there probably were some more elaborate crests, many of these are supposed to be seen in a symbolic manner rather than depicting things "as they were".

The knight in your picture for example is Ulrich von Liechtenstein and what you see on his head is Venus, the goddess of love. This is a reference towards Ulrich's epic poem "Frauendienst". Frauendienst was something akin to fictive autobiography of his where he claimed to have participated in tournaments wearing drag, dressed up as Lady Venus.

>wearing fish on your helmet
>wearing a duck on your helmet
did they really think that was cool?

Now that's interesting. Is there anywhere I can read about the illustrations from the Codex Manesse? I love the art but I wanna know what's going on and who anyone is supposed to be.

What were they thinking?

The Codex Manesse has been digitalised, you can look it up here:

digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/cpg848

Since the people in it are named, you can simply look up their names and find out about their lives.

>"okay now draw me at the tourney. but make me a cute girl."
>"In fact go ahead and make all the knights cute girls."
>"Yeah and I want the next picture to be me but with my waifu as a helmet. I know what I'm doing it's called being meta."
>tfw you will never be a wealthy landed knight with your own personal drawfag monk who is morally obligated to illuminate your insane lewd fanfics.

Why was I born

>medieval art full of cute grills always smiling and showering affection on their men as they ride away gallantly
>probably all uggos in real life with their faces busted in by gauntleted fists and blood streaming down thickly from their vaginas and anuses as they're rammed mercilessly before having their throats slit or skulls crushed

As these are mostly ladies of higher status it is rather unlikely that they were generally treated badly. To which extent the ideal of courtly love existed in the real world is questionable but at least in their poetry most the people depicted here were subservient to the point of masochism.

The man in OP pic for example wrote this:

Min vreude war vil ofte groz,
swenne ich kom, da man wazer goz
der herzen lieben vrowen min
uf ir vil wizen hendelin.
daz wazer, da mit si sich twuoc,
verholn ich daz von danne truoc,
vor liebe ich ez gar uz tranc;
da von so wart min truren cranc.

I was full of joy
When I came to see water poured
On my beloved lady's
White little hands
The water she used to wash
I carried away in secret
Only to drink all of it whole
I was truly sick of longing

well how can you say you love a woman if you won't even drink her hand washing water?

If they were kicking all sorts of asses with ridiculous helmets, it kinda stops being ridiculous and starts being frightening, "yeah, it's the trout-helmet bastard, don't go near him, the guy is too hardcore for you".

How come everyone forgot how to draw in the middle ages? Surely there were trained painters and artists right?

Come to think of it... are there any famous paintings/illustrations that survived from the western roman empire? I'm sure the ERE has some, but I don't know if I've seen any.

>you know what they say about the size of a knight's helm

The label gules on his arms says more about the size... Of the huge tracts of land he will inherit.

Just stop and think about the tremendous span of time this guy's bones even have crumbled to dust and men today STILL suffer Oneitis.

>How come everyone forgot how to draw in the middle ages? Surely there were trained painters and artists right?

The look was probably stylized like that because the figures were pretty small and hand painted into books.

To which extent these things were worn is questionable, but at least in depictions it makes them immediately recognisable. For example here we see Duke John of Brabant leading the cavalry in the Battle of Worringen, but in his retinue we can spot the Minnesinger and tournament fighter Herr Dietmar der Setzer ().

>implying medieval art didn't start getting metal as fuck around the 12th century

what a waifufag

What were these things made of? Looks like it would fall off with a mild breeze, let alone a cav charge.

disgusting

medieval history, disgrace of Europe

They got nothing on the japs though

Of course I forgot my pic.

Why the mustache ?

To look older/wiser/more experienced, also because most japs can't grow one.

jesus christ user not all sex back then was rape

>actually medieval history was just like Gurms extended and inexplicably published rape fantasy

>How common a practice was it for knights to wear completely insane things on their helmets?
Pretty common probably.

Martin is restrained compared to some historical events. Remember that Italian knight who organized an entire city wide organized rape and is considered a hero today?

this guy's passion about trouts can only be compared to this guy passion about frowning eagles

No, I don't.

>I wish I was at home hunting hares with my hawk
>this festival is for peasants
>i have to poop soon
>where is that squire

Fake mustache is best mustache.

Falcons are literally medieval symbolism for the D

John Hawkwood, look him up.

>saxon
>posts an anglian helmet

I recognize that dragon!

>around
>being this big of a pedant over Angles vs Saxons

In tournaments we are almost certain they were worn. What that image depicts is the grand tournament, an earlier form of tournament which was basically a mock war, with death and everything, only later do the safer tournaments we think of usually appear. In battle depictions the crests are not worn.

whoops wrong image

>Italian
He was English you mongoloid.

>*Record scratch*
>*Freeze frame*
>So you're probably wondering how I ended up here

knawledge!

Knight story that is a good cop bad cop drama when

Fish knight>>>>>>All other knights.
P R O V E M E W R O N G

What the fuck is the Venetian infantryman so happy about?

nay sir for knight with parrot on white puffball is the finest knight in all the land under Christendom, by my head

very common
how else were you supposed to recognize someone in battle with that armour on

also Nobles wanted to make themselves known so that the enemy wouldn't kill them but rather simply capture them for ransom; which was their right as a noble.

>tfw no incompetent noble knight and his smart but beta squire sitcom. Think a Zap Brannigan and Kif shtick.

youtube.com/watch?v=YZmCp7NocMA

The Manesse Codex was all about prissy showboating.

If you want a real Manuscript, look no further than the Crusader Bible.

why is everyone doing shiggy?

>He doesn't know about the World's first Meme Age

This is a high quality thread. Thank you all for posting, especially the real life helmet pictures

What can compare to the Passion of the King of France for the Fleur de Lis?

funny how a helmeted person with no visible face can still look directly into your soul.

what was this guy's name then?

The English King there seems to have a similar love for lions.

the horse looks embarassed

>Don't knight me or my son ever again

But where is his Lion Room?

The French King ain't pledging fealty to him in his Lion Keep.

This is some Monty Python level shit

Hiltbolt von Schwangau, he's dancing with some maidens after a victory

The Manesse Codex is also famous for being the source of this guy

>This is fine

>Name is literally Swag
>Has a picture of himself on his surcoat
>Wins tournaments, has bitches mirin'

trade deals probably

crusader bible is a misleading term and besides tournament showboating is fun

Liechstein was a fucking boss

He was, makes me sad that a knight's tale doesn't portray him well, his life would make such a great film.
>riding around central Europe popularizing the joust with a traveling tournament
>dressing up as venus for the bants
what a dude

>ywn be an eccentric knight

>American history knowledge
That's what it looks like when someones only source are hollywood movies.

Like The Black Adder?

The thing about A Knights Tale though is that he's William Thatcher, NOT Ulrich von Liechtenstein.

Always thought it was his own hand cupping his face. This makes this picture a lot less funny.

Like Don Quixote?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilles_de_Rais

They were both incompetent desu

was everyone filled with spaghetti back in the day?

Generations of selection have mostly bred out this medieval quirk of biology, but it still resurfaces in modern times. Children with spaghetti grow up alienated from their peers for being different - even in cases when nobody cuts them to check - and sadly become socially stunted adults whose last moments often involve the self-inflicted 'dropping' of their internal spaghetti in an effort to end their miserable lives.

Of course, dude, he has a duck on his head.

I always found it funny, the people on Veeky Forums and the like who are confident someone could reach out and break a knights neck if they wore something like this.