This might me /k/ shit, but what kind of swords looked the most aesthetically pleasing...

This might me /k/ shit, but what kind of swords looked the most aesthetically pleasing? I don't care about what was the best longsword vs katana bullshit. I just want to see really pretty swords.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_(weapon)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Hook Swords

style or individual piece? i would go sutton hoo sword. or migration period spathas generally.

All I can think of when I see those is Dynasty Warriors.

Tbqh, it's the Claymores or the Zweihanders for me.

It's so simple, yet aesthetically pleasing. Might be because I like minimalism in general though.

Weaponry from South and Southeast Asia is highly underrated from an aesthetic standpoint.

My personal favourite.

Perfectly preserved sword of a Chinese king who lived ~2500 years ago.

Anything made from crucible steel

Fuck yeah, Patas are badass

How a decorative sword-glove has never made it into popular culture is beyond me

The Falcata to me, so sexy.

That's quite clearly a kopis.

Nope,they are clearly different,both are Makhairas (than seem to be original from Illiria) than were adapted be the greeks and later the Iberians to they tastes, Kopis are normally only for chopping and tend to be larger, falcatas have a false edge in the tip, have plenty of fullers to give it rigidity and take out weight and were all tailored to the owner (the blade as long as the tip of the fingers plus to the end of the forearm). Plus the handguard tended to be guarded with a little chain.
Another cool looking sword right there too.

'twas a joke about their similar appearances.

In the chans you never know for sure desu, I prefer to err in the I'm talking to an ignorant until proven otherwise (unless it smells to troll too much).
I forgot to say than falcatas were used for stabbing too, in this one you can see fully the fullers and false edge. Shame no one makes affordable replica falcatas of a good enough quality too.

basically any basket-hilted straight sword

Seconding this.
Look at this beauty, i can fap all day with this picture

Not really swords, but something about the shape and simplicity of the langseax really does it for me.

Folded over 1000 times etc

This got me interested, and it turns out Ancient Indians had some really crazy weapons in their mythologies.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_(weapon)

>unironically liking double edged swords
>liking something that is literally a phrase for something stupid
>having no combat tact

Single edge master race

I agree somewhat, but Katanas are literally a meme weapon.

Obviously late-medieval/Renaissance longswords.

Man, I love those swords!

You could say...I'm hooked.

Awesome.

I bet that's what Excalibur, if it existed, would have really looked like.

I love the lore behind the kris dagger
The wavy pattern is supposed to represent a dancing dragon as opposed to regular straight swords which are calm dragons. It's also described to be the combination of all nature's elements. In the forging process metal is brought from earth molten by fire that's stoked by wind and cooled down in water. There's tons of cool stuff about this blade.

>that wavy line in a long sword

why

The oxtail dao is the shittest of dao swords.

Disregard the wrong material, khopesh is still the sexiest

the sword is saxon and the legend is brythonic so i doubt it. i'm pretty sure that that hilt style is almost purely germanic and celts made their's as more like late roman spathas or traditional celtic longswords, correct me if i'm wrong.

Amen

Agreed, specifically on the schiavona, a more beautiful weapon there never was.

>khopesh
Invented by egyptions around 1300, not ancient times.

Bruh thats ancient

Chinese would tell you that mastering Dao is easier than mastering a Jian, which means that thin straight swords are true master race.

Catch, with right material.

And one more freshly looking.

This user knows. Weapons with bling are the best.

What the fuck are you on about the Khopesh dates back to like 2500 BC.

Which one is from Tang dynasty? I'm curious because I've been told that the Katana is basically derived from the Tang dynasty dao which supposedly looks like a straight katana. Can't type chink words.

the fuck?

Lol Messers

Chinese don't know shit about swords.

it's not decorative.
it goes over your wrist and stablizes your hand and arm, basically a lever.

Hngggggg

Didn't Hyksos use the Khopesh before the Egyptians?

"Swords are just an extension of your arm" "Yeah but what if it was literal"

Probably Sappara.

They definitely knew more than Japanese.

That's not saying much lel.

Non-katana-meme japanese sword?

How about the odachi?

Norimitsu Ôdachi
lenght 377cm
cutting edge 226cm
weight 14.5kg

excellent posts my dudes

Here's my 2 cents.

size comparison

It's a marlinspike rapier. From polinesia I think.

唐朝刀

The variation on saber designs only happened in the 800's or so. But the T'ang Period saw the appearance of Zhangdao (Long dao) sabers that required two hands.

This is a replica. Most T'ang blades are found without their fittings/hilts possibly having rotted away for some time.

Here are some I saw in the Museo Arqueológico de Córdoba.

It should be remembered though that those tang blades were forged differently and were a good deal shorter than early tachi.

they were certainly popular in the Nara period and early Heian

That's beautiful

Nope. There were long ones as well. Like what I said, the era saw the first appearance of the Zhangdao.

Although in terms of two handed swords, the double edged version was more popular in the time period.

Wanna learn something interdasting: look at the lugs from which you hang a sword on your baldric: shit ain't Chinese.

During the T'ang Period, loads of Persians were fleeing the Muslim conquest, with many high notables ending up in China. They were treated well and the last Sassanid Prince, Narsieh, was made a member of the Imperial Guards of the T'ang Emperor.

One of their influences is the double lugs that allowed a sword to hang at an angle easily, which the Chinese considered as improvement over the knotwork + peg method of hanging swords on your side.

The ones popular in Japan seems to be the shorter variety, I could be wrong but all the examples of chukoto Ive seen are relatively short compared to early tachi

Here's a replica of a Sassanid sword to show you its origins.

They are short because they are based off the single handers aristocrats would use. Two handers are grunt swords to the Chinese.

What about the design of the blade? What made the Chinese back then decide to use a single edged straight sword for war? What kind of unit was it deployed in and how was it used? I remember reading it was given to heavy infantry and paired with a shield.

Double-edged falchions are awesome.

In comparison, this is how the Chinese wore their swords from the Han to late Nanbeichao Period. Though sword is a bit way too high in the computer generated drawing here.

Makes sense, it was probably only the elite that could afford imported swords from China and Korea, and the first native blades would have been copies of these.

before the tachi there was also a very curved short sword that was a native development, but the name escapes me at the moment

Yeah I knew of the Sassanid exiles. That lug fact is new and interesting. China and Persia always shared lots of things in common. Heck, both the countries have run into different forms of radicalism in modern history.

I'm a big fan of the Japanese straight sword, the chokuto.

When the Chinese invented the Dao, it was meant to be a sword for the use of Grunts since supposedly, a single edge is easier to master than a double edged blade.

It got really popular due to the influence of the Turkic Dynasties during the chaos of the Nanbeichao Period, in which China was split into numerous warring dynasties in quick succession, with Northern ones tending to be Turkic, while Southern ones tend to be native, though they had plenty of infighting.

Why that was the case was because the Turkic Dynasties like the Toba Wei of the North loved its used as a cavalry weapon. Other Chinese factions took the hint though the Double Edged Blade was in high regard still.

IMO late Ming was the time Single Edged swords dominated the field. Largely due to Mongol/Japanese influence + earlier Chinese notions of single edged = easy to train swords.