Did blacks fight in WW1, what side, and did they have any special duties?

Did blacks fight in WW1, what side, and did they have any special duties?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vHlvXQJ3UlQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I imagine fought for whatever side owned colonies in Africa.

neo/pol/v/ fuck off.

ASKARIS
DEUTSCHLAND

Askaris usually. Everyone who had a colony bought their colonial troops to play in WWI. Fucking Vietnamese fought for French in WWI.

western front too

Damn you've beaten me to it.

I like the mace but they'll probably fuck this up. They won't even have the best WW1 game.

African soldiers fought in the trenches. When they were brought from their colonies, they first had to "acclimate" themselves by staying in the hot south, because they came from hot countries and weren't ready to fight in the cold and mud. Afterwards, they were brought to the frontlines and had the very same missions as the metropolitan french.
A lot of leftists post-war claimed that they were used as canon fodder. However, statistical, blacks had less losses than whites. I'm only talking about France there, but in the french army, there was no segregation or racism. Whites and blacks fought together, lived together, did the same thing. In fact, WW1 may have been really important for the identity of the colonised people : If they were equal on the battlefield with their white brothers, why weren't they equal in peacetime ?
It's also there that came the chocolate-powder brand "Banania", with a smiling black soldier from Senegal.

From pics, the askaris look horribly equipped. I assume they didn't actually go on the offensive and were just security forces for the colonies?

These people look much more like actual soldiers.

That's because in the french army, black soldiers had the same missions and roles as whites. As you can see in the pic, they even lived together.
It's entirely different with italians and germans.

american blacks wearing french decorations
very few american black units saw combat

They went on the offensive. There was one particularly funny scene in the early western front in which African French troops scared the shit out of some Bavarian Regiment because their recruits were mostly bucktoothed hick Germans who have never been outside their village, much alone see a person of another race.

Also there was an African front. So even the colonies were the sites of battles. And Askaris are the majority of soldiers there.

France has had niggers in the army since the revolution

>check out the /v/ thread
>WE WUZ
>WORLD WAR I wasn't fought in Africa
>is anyone going to comment on the mace??
>it's a grenade guys

You do know /v/ is filled with children. Its your fault you had to see shit like that.

>I assume they didn't actually go on the offensive and were just security forces for the colonies?
Only Americans think like that.

Europeans thought otherwise.
>You know, these guys did nothing but fight each other. They'd make great soldiers if only they are led by civilized men.

I have to bite

I can't let people be ignorant about history on the internet
The memes can't be allowed to persist

>Veeky Forums importing shitty memes from other boards once again

>Trying to educate the largest board on Veeky Forums
It won't work.

jamaicans

Where i used to live in france there was a path on a mountain that was named "path of the dead arabs".
It was called so because of 800+ afrikans and arabs that died there in ww1.
France sent them in without weapons to distract the germans and waste their ammo.

>the word "black" is mentioned
>hurr /bol/ fuggoff

ayyyye

Take your rainbow haired self back to tumblr

by 1916, the French high command was well aware of the fate of assault troops crossing No Man's Land and thus consciously used black Africans in this role in order to lessen casualties among white soldiers.

Senegalese casualties in Europe were approximately twice as high as those of white French soldiers

i appreciate the fact that Veeky Forums has a board culture that is extremely wary of /pol/ bullshit

however, this really isn't a /pol/ thread. there is a legitimate discussion of historical realism to be had here regarding race and WW1.

kek

>what side
Nigga you fucking serious? They fought in all sides on small amounts. They probably contributed more to the Ottomans and the United States though.

Except that's wrong. Statistically, the losses of white and black french troops are equal : 21.5% casualties for senegalese troops, 23% for metropolitan regiments. Futhermore, among the senegalese casualties, a lot are because of lung diseases and not bullets. You will never find any directive of any french commander that ordered blacks to be used as canon fodder for the germans, in fact, blacks and whites were equal in the tricolor trenches.

>Hurr /pol/ fuck off
Never change Veeky Forums...

Yes, some blacks were in WW1, but they were some minor groups, blacks are minority, there were even less blacks back then in ww1, most of them were doing were doing pawn labour, they weren't allow to serve due to segregation.
That cover tries hard to emulate the "blacks were war heroes n sheit".
in b4 disinfo pics from sourceless images probably from African armies.

See >Mfw Americans talk of WWI near me.

>tfw no maori battalion equipped with ancestral meres instead of knife/trench club slot

>they weren't allowed to serve due to segregation.

I feel like Veeky Forums should have a sticky saying "No Americans".

there was at least 1 black person fighting in the war so it's ok to put on cover racist btfo again the end of trump

What is the 92nd and 93rd Infantry Divisions of the US who took part in the Meuse-Argonne Offensive and served with the French Army instead of the AEF and British?

Sort of true. Blacks weren't allowed to fight until Americans realised they simply didn't have enough troops without them.

>tfw its the age of the SJDUBBUS boogeyman
>ttfw any game retelling a different side of history will be labelled as pandering

Fuck this century

which is crazy considering there were millions trying to fight and prove

>millions
atleast a million*

It's not that crazy. People didn't like them. Why would they want them alongside them?

Basically: Pic of troops about to return home.

>in b4 disinfo pics from sourceless images probably from African armies.

>During the Palestine Campaign General Allenby sent the following telegram to the Governor of Jamaica: "I have great pleasure in informing you of the gallant conduct of the machine-gun section of the 1st British West Indies Regiment during two successful raids on the Turkish trenches. All ranks behaved with great gallantry under heavy rifle and shell fire and contributed in no small measure to the success of the operations".[3][4]

That's just from searching the first picture of your post. Sounds like there were some war heroes n sheit. As for pawn labor, that's absolutely accurate; however, war effort is mostly support. Everyone was loading trucks.

Yes, both, no. Don't listen to the emotionally reactive whiners on this board. This might as well be a subreddit with the amount of /pol/ boogyman posts and extremely self righteous responses to any form of history that isn't politically correct. Then again this board is pretty new and everyone knows the real history and historians are on /pol/ while this blue board attracts newfags who think this is the only place to discuss history on Veeky Forums.

Also I wish they hadn't used that apeman for the cover. Doesn't represent the era properly at all.

>labour

He's not american, we spell it labor, as in one of our federal departments is the Department of Labor. Unless he's just a retarded american, which is very easy, we have a fuck load of 'em.

I remember the story of Eugene Bullard.

African American, ran away from home as a teenager and sailed to France, where he enlisted in the Foreign Legion. Served as a machine gunner. Wounded badly in Verdun, he met people from the Air Corp while in hospital. Next fought as a machine gunner on an airplane. Then he got pilot training and flew a fighter. When Americans entered the war they recruited a lot of white American pilots from the Lafayette Corp but rejected Bullard. The war over, he was awarded the Croix de Guerre and other medals.

He stayed in Paris. Opened a very popular nightclub and hobnobbed with European elite, making quite a name for himself. When the Germans invaded in WWII, despite his age and lingering injuries, he volunteered to fight in the infantry again. Wounded again, he fled with his family to Spain, and then back to the United States, unfit for further service.

After the war he tried to return to France, but his nightclub had been destroyed and ended up returning back to New York. In the 1950s, now old and really feeling the effects of his wounds, he attended a concert by famous bass singer Paul Robeson. It was a benefit concert to raise money for the civil rights movement. An angry white mob descended on the concert with bats and other weapons, and Eugene Bullard was nearly beaten to death.

He lived the last years of life in loneliness and poverty, paying the bills by working as an elevator operator. He was invited back to France once, where he was asked to rekindle the flame at the Tomb of the Unknown soldier, and was made a knight of the Legion d'honneur. He'd be buried with full French military honors.

>Doesn't represent the era properly at all.

I'm not sure what this means. If one of the characters is a member of the Harlem Hellfighters then how is that part of the era? If there was a WWII game with a Finnish sniper I would cream my pants, not say "this doesn't represent the era at all, it should be a German soldier"

I think it's cool that it isn't another WTF ARE YOU SHOOTING AT guy.

If one of the characters is a member of the Harlem Hellfighters then how ISN'T that part of the era?

Is what I meant to say. I think the cover is awesome, going back to action shots and not just dude walking toward the camera.

>everyone knows the real history and historians are on /pol/

>but in the french army, there was no segregation or racism.
Bullshit, government made sure to have all the dissenters, all the Bretons, the monarchists, the pacifists, the communists, the Basques, in the front lines. So they wouldn't have to deal with them after the war. Black people they didn't really give a shit about tho.

Yes, both, and actually that's an interesting question with an interesting answer.

In WWI and WWII, rocket propelled explosives were still in their infancy, and tanks were basically impervious to lobbed grenades and other explosives. There was only one point of weakness- the cannon barrel that lead directly to the people inside. Realizing this, the practice began of sneaking up to the tank and lobbing a grenade directly down the barrel. To counter this, tank operators began raising their cannon angles to the full aperture to avoid these attacks. It was too high for the white man to jump. It was president Abraham Lincoln who noticed that black soldiers alone were capable of this incredible feat: dunking the grenade into the hoop of the cannon, so he immediately emancipated them and set them to the Western front. This practice later developed into the sport we call basketball.

Fuck you I laughed

kek

>it isn't another WTF ARE YOU SHOOTING AT guy
>the picture is literally a dindu shooting at something we can't see

>Real history and historians are on /pol/

That's why they have all the holocaust denial threads right? Because only the best and brightest go to /pol/.

Sorry, I meant this guy. But enough of memes xD I really do think the direction BF is taking is interesting.

I'd be down for an entire game of close quarters trench raids

I'd be down for ww1 but with wizards and shit

oh man that game was choice

>people get angry that blacks are being shoehorned into things and nobody is willing to admit it's just to help falling sales
>you get angry people don't like fake ass bull shit designed to shill games to a minority
meanwhile real entertainment with blacks gets panned because it gets no attention
>because guess what you stupid shit
>attention is all these fucking games/books/movies want for their black token character or racial inclusion
>people just want attention
so fuck off you attention whoring fucknugget. you're no better than the SJDUBBUS, though for superficially different reasons. deep down, you're just reflexively defending your own kind, you sjw trash eater.

Christ how much of a child must you be to get this angry over a video game? Its been proven in this thread that blacks fought in ww1, get over yourself retard.

I don't know much about colonial troops during the war, but they were used to occupy the Rhineland afterwards. Germans were really fucking upset, called it the "black disgrace" and made some amusing posters about it.
Didn't stop the women from fucking the soldiers though, so much so that the phrase "Rhineland Bastard" was coined to describe the children.

Not the guy you're talking to but you're clearly full of shit.

There's every reason to get angry over video games because they're a popular medium that is being used to indoctrinate people with a leftist agenda.

Acknowledging the existence of black soldiers in WWI is leftist agenda?

Salty ass nigga

Giving them disproportionate prominence is.

>game features harlem hellfighter
>a fps where only a fucking idiot would play the campaign
>leftist indoctrination

dude, it's just a game, no reason to get so worked up

That does not address the given point: video games are a popular medium and it's being abused to further a leftist agenda.

That's the issue at hand.

>disproportionate prominence

All we know is that ONE black dude is on the cover. Stop throwing a tantrum like a child and wait till more information is released.

So having a black person in a game is leftist?

Do you find them somehow not worthy of appearing in the game?

That is disproportionate prominence, since black people weren't exactly the majority of the troops involved. Not to mention the heroising iconography involved.
We're not dealing with a randomly taken picture here, we're dealing with a deliberately made piece of art.

My great grandad fought in WWI with the Harlem hell fighters

He said after the war bunch of French kids followed him and his friends around asking to see their tails

It was...bittersweet

Funny enough, he said during a trip to Nazi Germany over a decade later the Germans treated him better than Americans

I find it peculiar that a big name franchise would pick a black guy to represent a WW1 soldier.

No, refer to .

So his story is not worth telling?

Would you find it peculiar if WaW had a Georgian soldier on the cover?

>The real historians are the BLM supporters on Veeky Forums

The point is that it's not representative of WW1 since it's quite a bit different from the experience of the native Europeans this whole war was about. WW1 video games aren't exactly common and few people even know something about it. It would be a much more reasonable choice to tell the story from a French, German, British or Russian perspective.

The fact that they picked this outlier seems to me like they're trying to appeal to a SJW demographic out there.

I suppose the game will mostly be set in the final years of the war, simply because there were so much more armaments by then compared to the early years. Or they could go the CoD route and have multiple POV's. Anyways, that leaked picture seems to advertise the Harlem Hellfighters DLC, the main face of the game might be someone else.

>badly sourced info-graphics on /pol/

>showing this to a serious historian

You probably would, you spaghetti-dropping motherfuckers.

Because >SJW's

play fucking Battlefield, right?

You probably wouldn't even be able to tell whether it's a Georgian or some other sort of Slav, so it wouldn't nearly be as much of an odd choice than choosing a black man to represent a WW1 soldier on cover art.

>Because >SJW's

>play fucking Battlefield, right?

They don't, but they're responsible for negative press which publishers fear.

>they're badly sourced only because leftypol told me so

what agenda?
i didnt even know it was a black guy until you racists kept pointing it out

i was more pissed about the shit setting

You think negative press will effect fucking Battlefield sales?

>all of me sides

And most of /pol/'s sources are from conspiracy sites or revisionism. /pol/ has always been very bad at giving primary sources for anything.

>i didnt even know it was a black guy until you racists kept pointing it out
Because you don't have eyes?

>You think negative press will effect fucking Battlefield sales?
No, I think that publishers believe negative press will effect fucking Battlefield sales.

>WAHHHHH WHY WONT ANYONE TAKE MY NEO-NAZI SITE SERIOUSLY!!1111

So-called SJW's aren't the target audience for major triple AAA shooter games.

Even if it did, so what? How much in sales would they stand to loose, realistically if there was a smear campaign against the devs?

I don't know what part of my post you don't understand.

I don't think SJWs are the target audience and I haven't made any estimations in regards to possible effects of bad press either.

I said that I believe that publishers consider SJWs a potential target audience and I said that I believe that publishers fear bad press and would thus attempt to cater to them just to be sure.

Whether this is reasonable on their part (I don't think so) is a different matter.

Yes. The descendants of King Wewuz II fought for the American side in WW1. It was because of them that the Ottoman Empire fell.

I think the publisher's probably know their audience better than you do, pal.

All you're proving is that you are triggered.

>/pol/ is an entire website now
SJWs confirmed for absolute newfags

>I think the publisher's probably know their audience better than you do, pal.
No, they don't. If you expect actual competency from a corporation you must be out of your mind.

/pol/ gets their "facts' from revisionist websites.

You think companies don't focus test the shit out of their products before releasing them?

Yes.

Everyone had black REGIMENTS in WW1.

Fuck, blacks were already serving in the Frebch military in the 17th century. Have you heard of the Knights of St. George and their leader, LE CHEVALIER DU SAINT GEORGES, aka the Black Mozart?

Do you really, really want me to sperg out about Paul Von Lettow-Vorbeck's Askaris and the mad adventure of the German Schutztruppe and how they BTFO'D Jan Smuts?

(And the Brits had their Indian, Sikh and Ghurka regiments and African regiments, just for the Allied aide.)

poor backpedaling nu-male, you still said /pol/ was an entire website

I take you have no other arguments than pointing that out then?

Not my posts, pal.

youtube.com/watch?v=vHlvXQJ3UlQ

I remember this video being passed around on /pol a few years back. It seems black people are only present when it fits your narrative.