Wake up tomorrow

>Wake up tomorrow
>You're Hadrian

What do?

BUILD WALL

First post best post.

Launch expedition into West Africa.

Come over here Antinous!

Become a decadent weirdo. Nero 2.0 baby. I mean seriously I could fuck anyone, eat everything, and do whatever. My willpower could never handle that.

Intensify trade with India and China. It worked wonders for 15th century Europe.

damn beat me to it

Admit it, you made this thread just for this post, OP

establish the natural borders of the roman empire on the daugava, dnieper, oxus and indus rivers.

make wall 10 feet higher

make roma great again

Rome's boarders might have been to big, but the biggest problems were economical. reforming and streamlining taxes, curtailing unnecessary spending, and finding stable allies and trading partners outside Rome's boarders would solve a lot of future problems. Also needed would be a clear and orderly right of succession, separate from ties of kin, even adopted ones

The problem would be the Roman public itself who would resist such reforms, might spend my time out of the city proper with some legions I know I can trust.

MAKE ROME GREAT AGAIN

Pull back from Babylonia and make it buffer satellite state to keep away Persia.

Hadrian goes into the future and is greeted by fans

"what am I known for my military achievements, my cultural ones, my leadership?"

>A
>FUCKING
>WALL

well, developing a bureucracy and introducing the law of primogeniture would help i guess, and laying the foundations for a constitutional monarchy by, i don't know, creating a general staff and diluting the powers of individual commanders by creating a promotions board or something whose finances are dependent on senate approval.

basically, do my best to recreate 16th-17th century england in the roman context. if the roman army can be seperated as an institution in the same way the royal navy was, you won't get every general officer and his brother launching a coup d'etat.

rome really was the first and greatest banana republic.

Not pull back from babylonia since the parthians are going to be in an era of instability and civil war for the following decades

Antinous

How the fuck did they hold together that massive empire for over 500 years with no cars, no railroads, no telegraph, no electricity, no steamboats, no computers, no fucking anything that came with the industrial revolution. How did they hold jurisdiction so firmly and for so long over the -entire- mediterranean sea and the people surrounding it 1000 years before euroniggers even invented steel? Holy shit Rome was so impressive. My ancestors were literally scavenging for food in the forest when the romans were putting on gladiatoral games in the colosseum.

Since Hadrian did a pretty good job, i guess i would do the fucking same.

probably be the cause of the rapid decline of the empire centuries before it should have
looks too overstretched anyway, a comfy empire is Cisalpine and Transalpine (Narbon) Gaul, fuck the Spains, fuck the rest of Gaul, fuck Britain, keep north africa because muh grain, keep egypt, the levant, asia minor, greece, fuck everything across the danube, keep illycrium because muh warrior caste
reinforce the alpine passes and let the unwashed masses of barbarians have everything else

britain was a source of gold, brah. an empire with a trade deficit needs a source of mintable metals.

gaul and spain were useful for all sorts of resources and agricultural goods, not to mention useful metals. dacia was also a source of gold, iirc (if i recall correctly).

the issue with the roman economy was that it was completely decentralised and reliant on slaves. there was no way of formulating anything but the most basic policy, and endless internal strife and/or external wars ended up bleeding the economy dry as people ended up liquidating assets (sometimes literally) to finance wars.

instability, war and vested interests kill economies dead. the emperor relied on vested interests and war to consolidate his power, and these also ended up dethroning many emperors via war.

the romans understood the link between money and power. they relied on precious metals for minting, and they didn't have any understanding of inflation or any means on combating the debasement of their currency when the gold ran out, indeed many emperors resorted to this - the equivalent of printing money in an economic crisis.

they were like their spaniard descendents, who also suffered from inflation related issues and ended up stagnating, except it was only the late empire that suffered eternal anglo and batavian related military issues, whereas that was a constant for the majority of spanish domination.

My last name is derived from a Roman man who lived sometime in the bc
He is famous for sacking Corinth
My family has been getting shit done for thousands of years user

britain certainly wasn't a major source of gold, that'd be the spains nigga
didn't they invade britain because of some pearls that turned out to be shit?
or was it tin, not gold though

>they relied on precious metals for minting, and they didn't have any understanding of inflation or any means on combating the debasement of their currency when the gold ran out, indeed many emperors resorted to this - the equivalent of printing money in an economic crisis.
they understood perfectly well the implications of devaluing their coinage, there's a reason it was so taboo

my post wasn't meant to be anything that could have been possible though, since the empire had controlled those lands for decades and had become reliant on them, taking them away would cause serious issues breddy obviously
just my own comfy borders

We've been over this in another thread and concluded that the best way to cut the dead weight off the Roman Empire is to leave Italy to its own and rule the rest.

well, they had gold in wales, but you're right, cornish tin would have been a bigger draw (to stay).

i appreciate your decolonization strategy, however i'm the guy who suggested expending into eastern europe, so there is that. maybe a new source of slaves and control of the baltic amber trade could have been the magic bullet that turns rome into a western version of china. who knows?

I'd remove the shitty bread and games bollocks that allowed Italy to be one big ugly Subura though

> establish the natural borders of the roman empire on the daugava, dnieper
Ok good, though I would stop at the vistula.
> oxus and indus rivers.
That's silly. Those are rivers surrounded by worthless desert. If you go all the way there to conquer the western bank, might just as well conquer the eastern one.

Anyway, I would create legions of cavalry and dragons; introduce the blast furnace, the four crops rotation, the heavy plough, the windmill and a few other things; and conquer Germania and the whole pannonian plain.
The border must at least be pushed to the Oder to give us the space needed to stop invading hordes of barbarians before they can pillage gaul or Italy.

I always wondered, why did no one come up with war bonds for so long? It would have been very useful for any empire

Do to Parthia what Rome did to Carthage.
Genocide Germans

break the empire in 8 pieces and watch how they fight for "muh reunification"

Free slaves and forgive peasant debt.
Kill all nobles who try anything.
Forbid any general from compensating troops.
Give troops land and loans directly, so their only loyalty is too me.
Tax to be paid in gold.

Because they just made up new taxes instead.

Write my own memoirs

Probably fuck Antinous for a while, then get lunch.