Why did the Holy Roman Empire have to fall?

Why did the Holy Roman Empire have to fall?
What was the point of it even existing in the first place when it was not Holy, not Roman and not an Empire?

It fell because it was a bizarre Model Civilization that couldn't survive the development of Nationalism.

Horo is a best

>what is Germany

this

it was really just a German Empire, except, it was more of a confederation of primarily Germanic folk with some Wends and shit i believe. Keep in mind being "German" was barely a thing back then, what with the regional language differences. A Saxon was aware that he was not a Bavarian.

we wuz romans and shit

What is answering your own question?

Huh

I'm sorry... the what what what?

i believe OP meant the
>holy
>roman
>empire

It was with blessing of the holy papacy the true and lawful successor of the Roman Empire regardless of what a certain cucked French philosopher said about it

Counter-Reformation.

>
>
>

The world that Spice and Wolf takes place in is full of German and Italian names. I wonder if it was inspired by the HRE.

>
>
>

>What was the point of it even existing in the first place when it was not Holy, not Roman and not an Empire?

Trying to be holy, roman and empire. The HRE was a plan of the pope that went out of hands.

It had a very important amount of italian states during several centuries.

Holy, because Emperors were crowned by Pope.

Roman Empire, because it wanted to be a successor to the Western Rome.

All of this went to shit after a century or two and it became
>Holy
>Roman
>Empire

Basically, they wanted to be new Romans, but they failed miserably because average German noble gave more fucks over his own backyard than about the power of the whole country, while the Empire didn't have a stable dynasty to beat them into submission like France did.

It's possible but Japanese people tend to just pick randomly from western sounding names when they come up with a European setting.

The point is that the Holy Roman Empire was not Germany. German nationalists were opposed to the Empire simply because Voltaire was most definitely wrong in one regard: it was an Empire - not a nation state.