At what age did you realise that the Roman Empire were the true villains of history?

At what age did you realise that the Roman Empire were the true villains of history?

Around 14 years old for me, I was a late bloomer.

>Villains
>Of
>History

>evil
They were chaotic good-neutral evil

Imperium isn't to be apologized for.

They literally did nothing wrong

I don't think the Romans were evil unless you are a Greek, German, or Persian.

Or if you shared the boot with them

At least Rome brought culture and technology to those they conquered. If there were any villain in history it would be the Mongols.

>the foundation of all our institutions, traditions, concepts of citizenship, justice and order and the melting pot that bred western culture is evil

t. Anarcho trash

>make friendly relations with a tribe in the hinterlands for trade
>this tribe gets attacked by another
>they ask for help
>go over and defeat the rival tribe
>ugly business, war, but it is them or you
>instead of slaughtering all the prisoners you find them work on a farm
>you are now evil

They usually wiped out the local cultures in the areas they conquered and very little technology progress occurred under the Romans, they mostly just took tech they found and fiddled with it to make it more useful.

I know Romans are supposed to seem cool but they really just looked like an evil empire from my POV

Good guys don't enslave and forcibly annex other guys

>Implying Moarality is objective
>Implying History itself is Objective
>Implying Rmans are villans even in this paradigm

Back to bed kiddo. The seventh grade is hard and you need to finish your cheerios and get yourself to school before I come into your house and Blitzkrieg Buttfuck your mother

Guess over 90% of all ancient peoples were evil then.

I don't think you get how imperialism works
>I also think you don't understand how history works

Or were Celtic
Or were Carthaginian
Or were Roman
Damn Romans, they ruined the Roman Empire.

>14
Well there's your problem. If you still hold the same ideas about history at 14 as you do know you're an idiot

>Carthaginian
et delenda est

Ok so good guys didn't come about until when? Who IS good? And have the "good guys" contributed anything worthwhile to history or civilization?

All the ancient "good" guys were killed by the "villians"

The Swiss invented a nice clock, I guess. Though they're more neutral than good.

>doing business with Nazis
>withholding jew gold from descendants because Auschwitz

*didn't finish
Because auschwitz doesn't give out birth certificates

Ah yes the mercenaries of Europe for hundreds of years who butchered innocents for a paycheck before they became neutral in 1874 with an amendment to the Swiss constitution forbid any Swiss from serving foreign countries save the Vatican. They then took to managing the Nazis and other totalitarian regimes finances are the good guys, good to know, well thought out and researched

So the only good guys in ancient history to you are the losers

Are you implying they weren't?

t. Statist scum

>Romans
>little technological process
Citation needed

>Anything in history is a succinct, whole foundation to everything we do

This rhetoric is garbage and so is what sits in between your ears.

They are not. There were no illegal immigrants, as you'd be automatically accepted (this was because either Rome was founded by Trojan war refugees, or Romulus and Remus brought in people by advertising to people in need of a home).
They loved all sexualities.
Before that incident with Caesar, they were somewhat Democratic.
Governor Pilate held a fair trial by jury for Jesus, albeit the jury had questionable judgement, but I am getting tired of those butt hurt Christians complaining about such.
Looking at history, the Abrahamic Religions have been the worst.

He's right tho. All they did was copy Greek shit.

No, but if everybody's evil nobody is.

Christ, calm your tits, lad. It was just a joke about how they're neutral nowadays in conflicts, hence why I said they were more neutral than good.

>inb4 mongaboos will argue with this.

>muh buttsex is more important than slavery and invasions

I'm italian, the fall of Rome was really sad for me

which one?

>I have no idea what land-based trade routes are

Asterix Comics really opened my eyes up to this one.

>Greek
Yeah they hated the Romans so much they began calling themselves Romans at some point of their history

#burgerswontgetthisjoke

Achaeminids are idealised, but i really liked their stuff.

>They loved all sexualities.
What? They were "either you are the one doing the penetrating, or you are the woman in the relationship, literally or otherwise", (and women don't get to do stuff outside housework)

yeah that greek concrete amiright?

*Housekeeping also implies making cash through trade, but that ain't exactly the most prestigious career in Rome.

Your opinions shit, Satan.

They kill Jesus.

Pray tell, who is "good" then?

There are no villains in history

Just the us and the them.

>Americans
>reading comics

>history
>villains

The Roman Republic got pretty nasty towards the end but I'd much rather live in the Empire anything that succeeded it

Jews did that retard

Nazi Germany succeeded HRE which claimed it succeeded Rome and that's probably a good place to live (unless, you know).

That's what the Catholics want you to believe.

Imperium ain't free. The tree of civilization gotta be litterd with the blood of barbarians.

A pig farmer in Calagum. Lived his whole life within 20 miles of there. Raised a family who thought he was pretty okay. Too poor to every buy a single slave. He did like the games though, because they were exciting, you know, compared to shovelling pig shit.

A 14 year old prostitute in Ulpiana. She never made it to 15, because she got drunk and wandered into the path of a horse one night.

An olive oil exporter in Misenum. Pretty well to do. Had several slaves. He was a harsh man, but he allowed them to buy their freedom when they could. All his children died before he did, and his wife. Spent his last years rattling around the warehouse night and day, just worrying about the business.

An ex-soldier who tried to found a farm in Germania. He killed plenty of barbarians, but that was just business. He dreamed of that farm the whole time. Sadly he and his family were slaughtered by tribesmen just three years after he started it.

And so on. "The Romans" is a nearly meaningless label when you get down to the personal stories. But were they "bad" or "good"?

Okay okay, for thise out there who think this guy has a point

Issue 1 - Presentism. People for the vast majority of history have, by and large, been more accepting of invasion or conquests as a state of power politics than people today. It's not too long ago that European nations divided up Africa and most people in those countries thought it was a good idea.

Issue 2 - You're making a value judgement about how Rome acted in a time where most contemporary powers acted in a similar way. Rome, Macedon, Carthage, the Seleucids, the Vandals, the Ostrogoths, etc all acted with similar brutality in a lot of cases. You aren't looking at Rome compared to it's neighbours, you're comparing Rome to us.

3 - You're acting as though Rome is monolithic. Just because the violence of the Punic or Gothic wars was horrendous, it doesn't mean that Roman art, culture and philosophy isn't worth admiring.

>true villains of history
7th century Arab Muslim conquerors. They literally invented the religious war. Poetic justice that by the time they were finally civilised the other villains of history, the Mongols, fucked their shit up

Kike shill.

papist

All empires are villainous. Most people who think otherwise have this weird idea that because some ancient thing makes it into a history book it is necessarily a good thing.

Right, because the systems of organization that allow organized production and surplus to exist above subsistence levels and from that civilization and culture to be developed are evil. Even if you're a Marxist edgelord that likes to bitch about "muh oppression," you realize that Empire is the prerequisite to all further socioeconomic development.

>HRE succeeding Rome

The Roman Empire died in 1453, there was no successor.

Do it Veeky Forums

Russian Empire was Third Rome.
Finland succeeded it after fall of Third Rome to Bolsheviks.

Hence, Finland is the successor to Rome.

Jesus was disrupting the peace
Any religion went in the empire, as long as you didn't attempt to fuck shit up.

Most specious thing I've ever seen, begone.

hey i don't agree with it either but i modelled it after the biggest circlejerks on Veeky Forums

>allowed for explosions in trade due to the silk road being under the dominion of a single (or a few allied) entities
>once you were conquered, you could practice whatever sort of political/religious system you want so long as you pay tribute

Face it nigga, there's two sides to every story

>Russian Empire was Third Rome.
This claim that the tsarists made is as far-fetched as saying that the HRE was the Third Rome.

you're right they only watch comics on the big screen