DIY Thread

Post stuff you're making, post stuff you've made, ask for suggestions / tips / help

Other urls found in this thread:

terminal-boredom.com/crustpants.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

OP here, currently trying to make something similar to thread pic, but with a couple more tears, pic related.
Has anyone ever tried making scab jeans / heavily distressed ones before?

I want to paint a blazer so it ages and cracks like pic related. Has anyone done something similar? Any recommendations for what kind of paint to use (and what to avoid?), or any other tips?

There's plenty of tutorials about for the mmm converse it should be pretty similar

i make my own "scab jeans", we call them crust pants, a bit further off of what you are doing but essentially the same.

terminal-boredom.com/crustpants.html

>terminal-boredom.com/crustpants.html

fucking hipsters.

>hipster
>a person who follows the latest trends and fashions, especially those regarded as being outside the cultural mainstream.
>Veeky Forums

Would you call a skinhead a hipster, even though he shaves his head and wears boots and a flight jacket. A hipster could be any thing.

>hipster

what in the actual FUCK are you doing here

I always thought hipster was what you'd call people who were just into the subculture for superficial reasons, as in they didn't like the music or spirit of it.

If the person likes and understands the subculture how can that be something to discourage?

>wearing Dark Souls armor in real life

TERMBO!!

Subcultures aren't Veeky Forums and aren't understood by Veeky Forums.

Kind of interested in the writing how could you write with fire?

The difference is these are made to extend the life of filthy disintegrating clothes from squatting and train hopping with show patches, while Veeky Forums is making the holes themselves.

Whats the best way to kill vibrant colors on a shirt? I like this one shirt I have, but feel the colors are too neon.

>I was only in grade school
>Must have been somewhere around 10 years ago
>ripped jeans were t r e n d y
>before e f f a y
>I would have been way before my time
>There I was in my huge walk in closet in my old house (RIP)
>Scissors (safety of course)
>Light wash jeans
>Pen to mark off the cut points
>Whip it up, cut some holes
>Show my hamsters (RIP)
>Try em' on
>They looked retarded
>s t u p i d
>I was an amateur
>It was my first DIY
>But more importantly
>I vowed never to do it again
>Never again I said
>2016
>Still remember
>And that's why I'm not a cuck to stupid shit like the faggots in this thread
>Because I've already been there

Just wear the pants and eventually they'll get holes naturally, then people will assume you made them yourself and call you a faggot, thanks for ruining it.

should I keep fixing the holes (apart from knee slits) or leave them be?

better pic without hole fixed

fix all the holes

Dick Ovens AW17 handwarmers

"fix" the holes that you cut into the pants to look edgy?

yeah why the fuck not
I like the hanging fabric on the slit on the knee, you dont?

I think the texture of fixed legs would look better.

thought you meant to diss the idea, sorry for snarling
yeah I agree

you can a lead a fuccboi to water but you can't give him tips about his try hard edgy "style". also nice shoes lmao

point me toward the water wise one

lol

How do you guys bleach things? Just leave it there for hours or small dips?

none of those people are squatting or train hopping

mix with water, and dunk and soak or use a spray bottle

wash it on the hottest you can, arm and hammer or a very very small amount of bleach into the wash water

Best way to darken some jeans? I got a pair on clearance and they don't go very well with my denim jacket.

dont be so oogly, they are catching the public transport to catch the show

>none of those people are squatting or train hopping
>What are the advantages/disadvantages to crust pants, if any? They're a little warm, but I get bad looks on the train

>none of those people are squatting
I'm wondering if you're thinking of squat as in the exercise. The point is those a big pieces of the subculture and the pants are ugly for resilience and resourcefulness.

nah all those people made their crust pants ugly on purpose

Of course, but it a little more functional than just fashion, it's sometimes a way to show all the shows they've been to.

I'm not saying everyone follows that standard, but it's still a big piece of the culture.

is that why you made you crust pants?

That's was the idea here in cali, surely others have different reasons. Some use the jean jacket or the pants to cover in show patches, like those old suit cases that travel and gains stickers from the places it's visited. You're suppose to wait till they gain holes to used the patches though.

the guys in the article didn't wait for holes to patch amd even rip thier knees open, i dont really like American style

>the guys in the article didn't wait for holes to patch amd even rip thier knees open,
The holes will happen eventually with regular wear, you actually can't wash them or else it ruins the stitching, so there no reason they shouldn't wait for holes.

By the time the holes come they're going to have to rebuild the pants over because they will disintegrate.

I had this female friend who had ones, and the entire buttom area kept unraveling so she had to sew in an entire back part of other pants to keep it covered.

have you ever considered that train hopping punks didn't invent patchwork clothing?

when younger i've been 'way into' punk and felt like i had to dress the part all the time. eventually i developed my own personality and started dressing differently, taking inspiration from all sorts of styles, subcultures, and individuals. i wear whatever i want.

i have jeans that i've worked in for years that "naturally" developed holes that i patched (or didn't patch), i have jeans that i keep pristine, and i have jeans that i've intentionally destroyed. none of these items of clothing is more or less "authentic" than the others. they're all clothes that i like to wear, so i wear them. i don't have to "earn" my right to wear clothing, unless there's some deep spiritual/cultural meaning to those items of clothing. i don't think crust pants have that sort of meaning attached--first of all, punks didn't invent denim, didn't invent jeans. and didn't invent the practice of mending clothes. and putting all of that together--punks, by a margin of about a century, were not the first "group" to patch up their jeans. nobody who patched their pants owes punks anything, nor does anybody need the acceptance or approval of self-identified real punks in order to wear patched denim.

in my opinion, this whole "earn your stripes, punker than thou" attitude that pervades punk communities is a symptom of deep seated insecurity that comes from those whose only facet of identity is "being a punk."

chill out about it dude. if somebody intentionally rips their own pants to put a patch on, that's not a hurdle in your quest to destroy capitalism or authority or racism or whatever it is you define yourself against.

Yes i'm aware of pervious versions of this fashion, 1600 peasant patches, greaser, biker fashions. I didn't mean to imply my standard (other than with holes, which isn't exclusive to the subculture) were universal.

> don't have to "earn" my right to wear clothing, unless there's some deep spiritual/cultural meaning to those items of clothing. i don't think crust pants have that sort of meaning attached

They don't have to, but they can have personal, sentimental meaning to the person. I wasn't trying to discourage anyone from anything besides making holes which aren't exclusive to this subculture, because the holes come with time.

I personally don't think these kinds of standards are always bad, but i know how they can pigeon-hole the culture. I think the standard that you get band merch only after you see the band is a good one. And this isn't to discourage new people, but to give weight to shows. Of course people are free do what they want ultimately.

when i was a teen punk i probably broke every poser rule, and that's okay because i was new and alone, so i'm aware of the insecurity you talk about. It's not my only identity/hobbie. But ordering merch from bands i never saw cheapend the shows. This is just a personal/local standard.

>in my opinion, this whole "earn your stripes, punker than thou" attitude that pervades punk communities is a symptom of deep seated insecurity that comes from those whose only facet of identity is "being a punk.

I wasn't hating on man-mads holes on behalf of the subculture, but as a regular person. I know people are free to do what they want. I just think holes are better naturally. It's because holes are now known as usually man-made that they're assumed to be always man-made.

>The holes will happen eventually with regular wear so there no reason they shouldn't wait for holes.
>That's was the idea here in cali, surely others have different reasons.

fair enough bruv

Sensible discussion with well-formed arguments on Veeky Forums? There is hope after all

Ok old man

i make my crust jeans just for shows, didn't wait for rips to patch

theoretically how hard would it be to make a simple pair of white leather beaters

not physically intensive (although leather will be) but more of a "in the long run this will be awesome" type challenge

my crust pants, and my leathers and vest to the same degree, are worth more than monetary value. they are my security blanket. an extension of my body. i am ritualistic in the way i care for, treat them, weat them. they are like living art and i am always struggling to comes to terms with

crust pants are much more fashionable than function, to say otherwise is a flat out lie

ok thats it, i see a alot of posts saying "muh crust pants,muh crust pants "
yet i have yet to see a single one!?
or are you just internet lies?

do you know anywhere i could look for like instructions or a guide

>in my opinion, this whole "earn your stripes, punker than thou" attitude that pervades punk communities is a symptom of deep seated insecurity that comes from those whose only facet of identity is "being a punk."
never thought of this, thanks for the insight.

I'm talentless

just the terminal boredom article i posted earlier in thread

looks good so far, great start, planning anything else?

>to say otherwise is a flat out lie
It's ultimately just a pair of pants but it can be an art project like when people did stacks or those hippie jeans with the messages written, or biker colors, it depends on the person >never thought of this, thanks for the insight.
The community is really used to being critical of itself and given how it draws people from unstable backgrounde, it's become an insecure tough guy club. Everyone is trying not to let the subculture die from corporatized whoredom, like hip hop kind of is.

There isn't this unity when two people of the community meet, it's like when two foreigners meet in japan and give each other the evil eye for finding their secret club, instead of building unity, or seeing potential in newer people, more people can bring in a better scene to get the attention of better bands.

There have been shows that just died because of absence of people.

those first two qoutes are both me

If you mean and then they kind of contradict each other.

Nah, my sewing machine is in another city.
ty

no they dont. they mean alot to me, but their in no way utility

Try a woodburning pen

i meant sentimental/meaningful, i used the wrong word.

update

They look the same desu

Repost from my failing thread

about 6 months ago some one posted these pants on waywt - looked like cut off dickes. Anyway they had stenciled or painted an arm in white to about halfway up the thigh looked amazing.

Wondering if anyone has the photo/ rembers it enough o to give me advice on how to pull this off. Bought some discount dickies yesterday looking at stealing an arm from the master to pull it off.

Any help or advice appreciated like what sort of paint i should use ect.

Thinking about using this image now but not sure if it should just be the outline filled in

I think that it is better to make them yourself. Crust punks are disgusting and usually homeless they wear their jeans until they literally rot off of them. Drug addicts aren't cool and their shitty music is even worse. They smoke and rot their teeth. They don't use their brain or seek to better thenselves and that dies too.

I know exactly the picture you are talking about and the guy said he screen printed them.

Honestly these are super dope. I wonder how hard it is to screen print some unique things(button up shirts,pants, army surplus gear).

if its too hard I wonder how much it cost for local businesses to screen print only a few items

dude thank you so much!

not sure about the screen print though- also i remembered it going higher up the leg desu i think i might go a little bigger juse acrilic pait

im thinking this with acrylic paints on black pants thoughts everyone?