How the Christians came into the concept of Trinity? It's literally nowhere in the Bible

How the Christians came into the concept of Trinity? It's literally nowhere in the Bible.

Other urls found in this thread:

deathtotheworld.com/about/
biblehub.com/greek/1093.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>It's literally nowhere in the Bible.

>inb4 multiple morons post the Comma Johanneum

It's a way to reconcile the polytheist influence of Christianity with the Jewish tradition

From Neoplatonism.
>For Proclus, on the other hand, the arkhê or 'ruling beginning' of all Life is the 'One-in-itself' (to auto hen), or that which is responsible for the ordering of all existents, insofar as existence is, in the last analysis, the sovereign act or expression of this primordial unity or monad. The expression of this One is perfectly balanced, being a trinity containing, as distinct expressions, each moment of self-realization of this One; and each of these moments, according to Proclus, have the structure of yet another trinity. The first trinity corresponds to the limit, which is the guide and reference-point of all further manifestations; the second to the unlimited, which is also Life or the productive power (dunamis); and the third, finally, to the 'mixture' (mikton, diakosmos), which is the self-reflective moment of return during which the soul realizes itself as a thinking -- i.e., living -- entity. Thought is, therefore, the culmination of Life and the fulfillment of Being. Thought is also the reason (logos) that binds these triadic unities together in a grand harmonious plêrôma, if you will.
>Pseudo-Dionysius professes a God who is beyond all distinctions, and who even transcends the means utilized by human beings to reach Him. For Pseudo-Dionysius, the Holy Trinity (which is probably analogous to Proclus' highest trinity, see above) serves as a "guide" to the human being who seeks not only to know but to unite with "him who is beyond all being and knowledge" (Pseudo-Dionysius, The Mystical Theology 997A-1000A, tr. C. Luibheid 1987).

Why the hell should something be bassed in some shitty book?

Well, Christians believe it's the word of God.

Neoplatonicians took this divine conception from the Vedic-Aryan India.

This.
Santeria is to the Caribbean as Christianity is to Europe.

It's throughout the bible, actually. Not the word Trinity, the idea of the trinity. (The word "bible" is also not in the bible, but nobody seems to think that invalidates the bible.)

Then you have to figure out there is only one God:

The first step is to establish how many Gods exist: one! Isaiah 43:10, 44:6, 8, 45:5, 14, 18, 21, 22, 46:9, 47:8, John 17:3, 1 Cor. 8:5-6, Gal. 4:8-9.

"I am the LORD, and there is no other; besides Me there is no God," (Isaiah 45:5).
“Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel And his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: ‘I am the first and I am the last, And there is no God besides Me," (Isaiah 44:6).

Then you have to look at all of the ways the Father is described as God, the Son is described as God, and the Spirit is described as God.

FATHER SON HOLY SPIRIT
Called God
Father: Phil. 1:2
Son: John 1:1, 14,
Holy Spirit: Col. 2:9, Acts 5:3-4

Then you can walk through the verses and find out all of the times each of the Trinity is described as God: Creator, Omniscient, Omnipresent, Creates life, Eternal, Willful, Speaks, Saves, Judges, etc., and you end up with One threefold God.

God in three persons; one being.

God is hyperdimensional.

As to your false claim that the trinity is nowhere to be found, Origen attempted to remove this verse from the bible, as Origen the heretic did not believe in the trinity:

1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one.

So it is not the case that there are three gods that somehow join up into One God; there is One God Who has manifested Himself in three ways so that we might get to know Him.

kek. it always seems to come back to Christianity being a cheap rip off of Platonic philosophy made for the masses

>1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one.
Here we go Veeky Forums! Never fails.

Jeremiah 8:8 directly states that the bible lies and the bible tells you that you are evil merely by having sex with whomever you please so yeah, satan at work.

Can't wait for an army of drooling cumgoobling braindead retards to come and paste here every bit of the bible to try and prove me wrong while suspiciously they don't do what they preach nor the miracles preached of them.

You can respect Origin the heretic for attempting to rid the bible of something he did not believe, but I will not.

And stop acting as though you have access to the autographs. You do not.

I'm surprised insane asylums in Spain have unfiltered internet access. Seems unhealthy.

>Spain

Can't see any flags in my post.

You better start explaining where you get all of these emotions of yours telling you that I'm spanish, since the world and the internet is so vast...

Btw, I see you are part of the drooling cum gobbling braindead retard army.

>Person says the truth
>Durhurrboi can't prove him wrong
>y-you're insane!

I've told you several times that Jeremiah 8:8 refers to talmudic writings and takenot, not the bible. And that scribes are lawyers and teachers, not transcriptionists.

Stay spun out, Spainfag. Keep sputtering. It's amusing.

Platonism was the standard of thinking in the ancient world. When theologians learned of Christianity, they saw it through a platonic lens. That doesn't mean it's a rip off.

If you read the entire chapter you will see that Jeremiah is prophesying to the Israelites who have been in rebellion to God and are not repenting. The interpretations and ordinances of the scribes were not the word of the Lord.

Some might see this as a reference to the Jewish Scriptures being incorrectly written or corrupted. But the “scribes” of Jeremiah's time were not copyists of the Jewish religious texts.

The “soferim” or scribes of Jeremiah's day were professionals who wrote documents for important functions (lawyers—religious and secular, financiers, historians, etc.) in Judah. Some of the soferim or scribes were responsible with the work of being “copyists” of the Mosaic Law. Their familiarity with the Law (because they were making handwritten copies) made them experts of what was written. The soferim class eventually became a teaching class unto itself. By the time of Jeremiah they were more “teacher” than actual scribe.

By the time the Babylonian exile was imminent, the way of many officials of Judah was that of corruption. This included the soferim class which, according to Jeremiah's pronouncements, had left off attending to the work of copying the Law of Moses or any of the other works which would eventually become Scripture.

The teachings and interpretation of these scribes ran contrary to Scripture. The “lies” that they were copying were not Scripture, which is what you read if you put the text in context:
How can you say, “We are wise,
we have the law of the Lord”?
See, that has been changed into falsehood
by the lying pen of the scribes!

The wise are put to shame,
terrified, and trapped;
>Since they have rejected the word of the Lord,
what sort of wisdom do they have?--Jeremiah 8:8, 9 New American Bible, Revised Edition; greentext added.

Did you notice that they “rejected the word of the Lord”? They left off copying it and were now offering their own “falsehoods” instead.

The JPS Tanakh (a Jewish translation) renders this:
How can you say, “We are wise,
And we possess the Instruction of the Lord“?
Assuredly, for naught has the pen labored,
For naught the scribes!

The wise shall be put to shame,
Shall be dismayed and caught;
>See, they reject the word of the Lord,
So their wisdom amounts to nothing.--greentext added.
The reference to the “pen” may be sarcasm as this is a pronouncement against these false teachers. They obviously were no longer scribes in the literal sense for some time, at least not the ones that had anything to do with the “word of the Lord” which the same text says they had “rejected.”

The texts of the Hebrew Scriptures as we have them today were assembled and edited into the form we are now familiar with after the Babylonian exile ended, some 70 years after the events in Jeremiah 8.

Paul distorted Allahs word

Mohammed denied the Divinity of Christ and listened to demons.

Good Field Commander, Shit Prophet.

Gentiles can't into monotheism.

Is God the father mentioned in the bible?
Is the Holy Spirit mentioned in the bible?
Is Jesus, the son, mentioned in the bible?

That was difficult, wasn't it OP?

Its on the last page OP

I know what you are saying but technically OP is right. You're able to stitch together the concept of the Trinity from different passages of the Bible but there is nowhere the Trinity is explicitly laid out in a single passage.

First of all, the trimurti is Puranic, not Vedic.
And Secondly, it didn't develop until India's medieval period.

Are you suggesting that Scripture doesn't teach the Holy Spirit is God? Or rather that Scripture doesn't teach Christ is God? The Trinity is the baptismal formula from the NT.

Except that isn't what happened.

it's more than just a "lense", christianity borrows a ton of concepts

You received an answer, but you cling to your insane lies.

>How the Christians came into the concept of Trinity?

It came from the same place the cult of saints came from, paganism. The triplicity of god is an ancient trope in European mythology, found in Hindu myth, in Celtic myth, in Germanic myth and even in Greek myth.

You were there?

It's not in any of those.

>Nay, they say:"These (revelations of the Qur'an which are inspired to Muhammad ) are mixed up false dreams! Nay, he has invented it! Nay, he is a poet!

Kaffirs BTFO.

you know damn well the trinity isn't the only way to see the relationship between those three

It's the only true way.

It's not complicated.

Father is God.
Son is God.
Spirit is God.
There is One God.

The faces in Hindu art really piss me off. Kind of a shame really because it seems like an interesting religion, but every god damn time I look it up I'm greeted with the most punchable faces ever designed.

Man, you used to be an interesting poster.
What happened?

I wasn't there when Julius Caesar was murdered, and yet we know what happened regardless. Isn't that interesting.

I guess I got sick of having to rebut the same memes over and over and over and over, that don't come from people actually doing research, but are literally just memes.

maybe you should look into Arianism

You never rebut anything. You just make long winded asspulls that always hinge on you taking an interpretation of something that's meant to support your position rather than honestly interpret. But you treat them like solid fucking gold, because you're an insane narcissist who can't imagine being wrong about anything.

Can you prove it happened? Do you really believe all those myths?

So what you;re saying is, you're completely unfamiliar with any of these mythologies?

I think they're all kind of androgynously sexy 2bh.
Like I don't know if I want to fuck Shiva or have him fuck me.

Man, it really is true. They’re on the same tier as those faggot-ass pictures westerners like to make of Jesus (see pic related). Old-style eastern icon Jesus could kick all their asses any day.

Been there, done that, bought the Heretic shirt.

What I posted is a direct refutation of Arianism.

No, I actually do exhaustive research and offer primary sources and arguments. Compared to literally just memes

I'm saying Jesus changed everything, and what you think is derivative is exactly the opposite.

This. And when he gets something he can't "refute", he just plays dumb or posts an oh-so-funny maymay instead. Typical Christian, he just can't stop lying.

the ironic part is that hindu painting conventions are quite formulaic and strict, just like orthodox icons.

The myth that Caesar was murdered?

Nothing but demons.

Jesus had a time machine? You know, it's normal to actually look at the evidence before declaring it invalid, you;'re a special kind of stupid, aren't you?

The myth that he even existed.

>Says the Atheist

Don't insult mah wifu.

>Constintine will never Deus Vult all over your cock

Tfw

>exhaustive research

Being long-winded is not the same as exhaustive research. What you do is mine for shit meant to support your position and then wilfully misinterpret it. You'll distort literally anything to support your position.

Jesus needs a time machine?

He's God. He's outside of time. He was walking in the Garden of Eden with Adam and Eve four thousand years prior to His "birth".

Yeah man, De Bello Gallico wasn't gonna write itself.

For instance, the idea that Christianity comes from Greek philosophy literally just boils down to the word "Logos". Now as I've already shown before, the term is used in the OT in passages Christians considered to be prophecies about the Messiah. Still, it persist, but Logos in Greek philosophy is nothing like Logos in Christianity, Logos in Greek philosophy is Hegel's Geist, which is foreign to Christianity, Christianity does not see Christ as some sort of common mind that thinks for everyone, but because this meme will continue to persist with zero substantiation, because people who don't even read Stoic philosophy, Heraclitus or Plato, think they understand what Logos is in Greek philosophy, and people who have never combed through the prophecies of the Old Testament or the Christology of the NT, think they know what the term is in Christianity.

I bet you think Romeo and Juliet were real people too.

kek

Be completely honest, and don't avoid the question: Have you ever admitted you were wrong about anything on Veeky Forums? Even once?

Yes, you have thrown out the entire bible, to your error, and to your loss. And to your shame.

>For instance, the idea that Christianity comes from Greek philosophy literally just boils down to the word "Logos".

Yeah, no. There are countless similarities between Greek religions and Christianity, the fact that you are completely ignorant of them doesn't change this.

This sort of thinking, "I can't be bothered with anything longer than soundbites," is exactly why memes are all that are ever appealed to.

Good goy.

Sure, I admitted I was wrong about the pagan concept of contrition in regard to Herakles killing his family.

>implying Romeo of House Montague and Juliet of House Capulet aren't real
Wow I want historical revisionists to leave.

I lmao'd irl 2bh

There aren't, and if you actually read significantly from both without actively trying to impose connections, you'd know this.

I'll leave as soon as Falkor picks me up for a ride.

>I can't be bothered with anything longer than soundbites.

Yeah, no. I know you're an idiot, from the majority of our discussions. I'm not going to read an essay from you, when every time I've done that has resulted in me just proving what I already know: that you're an idiot, a fanatic, and a narcissist. You've done nothing but damage to your position in your time here.

>And when he gets something he can't "refute",
Please actually provide an example.

Greek religions had Jesus in them?
Jesus died?
Jesus rose from the dead?
Jesus is God?

Because that's the entirety of Christianity.

How much of that was in the Greeks again?

Oh I'll give you a neverending story you cheeky son of a

I'll admit, I had to google the dog's name. Totally worth it.

You would think that the supposedly central dogma of Christianity would be explicitly proclaimed in supposedly revealed scripture, since this is the only source where humans can know about it (Aquinas himself says that it cannot be reached by way of reason, which is another way of saying it is irrational and contradictory), and wouldn't require years of theologica despute, political muscle and persecution of contradictory views by other Christian sects, such as the Arian "heresy" which was at one time the majority view. But that's just me...

I think they label him a "dragon" or something, but who the hell knows, weird movie.

Christ being God and the Holy Spirit being God are both explicitly present in Scripture.

>Because that's the entirety of Christianity.

Oh don't be disingenuous. I'm not that poster and I don't think the connections between Platonism/neo-Platonism and Christianity are all that strong (except perhaps their inane distaste for all things material as some sort of "lower" reality to the pure one beyond), but there's a shitload more to Christianity than that, unless you're going to argue Ahmadiyya is Christian.

Well how about your pathetic claim that Psalm 110 is a prophecy of the Messiah When it was pointed out to you that this is simply a mistranslation, you responded with memes like the mendacious little shitstain you are.

>the Holy Spirit being God
is not explicitly mentioned anywhere in scripture, unless you’re going to pull that 1 John 5:7 bullshit.

This. The entire concept of the three hypostases partaking in one godhead is platonic as it gets.

>Greek religions had Jesus in them?
>Jesus died?
>Jesus rose from the dead?
>Jesus is God?

Yes, only they called his Dionysos.

>Because that's the entirety of Christianity.

It's also the entirety of Orphism.

>(except perhaps their inane distaste for all things material as some sort of "lower" reality to the pure one beyond)
Saint Nikitas Stithatos said, in On the Practice of the Virtues (it’s in the Philokalia): “If you refer the activities of the outer senses back to their inner counterparts - exposing your sight to the intellect, the beholder of the light of life, your hearing to the judgment of the soul, your taste to the discrimination of the intelligence, your sense of smell to the understanding of the intellect, and relating your sense of touch to the watchfulness of the heart - you will lead an angelic life on earth; while being and appearing as a man among men, you will also be an angel coexisting with angels and spiritually conscious in the same way as they are.” We worship with all five senses at Divine Liturgy, doctrine is expressed not just in writing, but pictorially, and to the other senses as well The material and the spiritual are complementary, they are not separate places, but different dimensions which properly intersect (“Five senses characterize the ascetic life: vigilance, meditation, prayer, self-control and stillness. Once you have linked your five outward senses to them, joining sight to vigilance, hearing to meditation, smell to prayer, taste to self-control and touch to stillness. you will swiftly purify your soul's intellect: refining it by means of them, you will make it dispassionate and visionary.” ibid.);
cont

hell and heaven are actually different terms for the same dimension (see Ephesians 6:12, which says overtly that our struggle is not against the material, but against the dark spirits who inhabit heaven, also see A6 of this FAQ for the Orthodox conception of hell and how it is the same as heaven); the fall impaired the harmony of these two dimensions, but it will be restored after the restoration of all things--in fact, the only issue is that we can’t see that we are in heaven, because hamartia clouds our ability to detect it; to quote Dostoevsky, “We don't understand that life is heaven, for we have only to understand that and it will at once be fulfilled in all its beauty, we shall embrace each other and weep.” Hamartia is a lie (the Devil is the “Father of all lies”). Christianity is not Gnosticism. “World” in Christianity is a translation of kόσμος (kosmos), which means order...as in, the order of being enslaved to carnal good and evil (see A5 of this FAQ, and: deathtotheworld.com/about/ ), which means the material rules us rather than vice versa. The material realm is γῆ (gé), generally translated as “earth”, it’s never used negatively. See the significance of the word here: biblehub.com/greek/1093.htm Notice how Plato's Socrates confronted death: he said it was no big deal, and that philosophy is all about no being concerned about it; compare that with how Christ begged to live from His Father at Gethsemane.

Jesus is God.
Jesus rose from the dead.
Confessing that out loud and believing that in your heart makes you a Christian.

Romans 10:9-10 says just that.

It's not a mystery.

It's much older than that, every branch of the Indo-Europeans have this trope in their conceptions of the godhead.

>Ahmadiyya

They have a different person they believe is the Messiah, so no, they would not be Christians, having not confessed Jesus is Lord, and knowing He rose from the dead after paying the sin debt of humanity.

Not the dogma of the trinity and no it is not explicitly present in "Scripture", that bundle of contradictory and edited texts by many authors spanning thousands of years. No, it is found here and there on ocasion.

Fair enough but I'm talking about the technical way they frame it. It's exactly like form theory.

Psalm 110New King James Version (NKJV)

Announcement of the Messiah’s Reign
A Psalm of David.

You may be mad.

So you're saying in Genesis 6:3 and Jacob 33:4 are talking about entities separate from God?

Well Christians were pagan before they were Christian, and educated pagans were well-versed in Platonism, so it's only natural they would use the tools they already had to describe and define their new god.

The dogma of the Trinity is not the term, the term was just invented to express the dogma. The dogma of the Trinity was always with the Church, it just wasn't called that, but the same understanding was there.