Ancient Cross Cultural exchanges

Anyone have any more examples of this? I'm extremely fascinated by this idea. The Greek god Boreas and the Shinto Deity Fujin are the same god, having been brought by the Greeks through Bactria, to into India, the Buddhists taking it to China, and finally reaching Japan.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhist_art
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izanagi#Parallels
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barlaam_and_Josaphat
irisharchaeology.ie/2013/12/the-helgo-treasure-a-viking-age-buddha/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seima-Turbino_phenomenon
australiangeographic.com.au/topics/history-culture/2014/08/mystery-of-ancient-african-coins-found-in-australia
smithsonianmag.com/history/the-vikings-a-memorable-visit-to-america-98090935/?no-ist
econ.ohio-state.edu/jhm/arch/calix.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Well every indo-euorpean god and story derive from the same source. Its why so many similar themes pop-up from India to Ireland.

Vajrapani, a demigod with a club that guards Buddhist shrines is Heracles. Basically the same thing happened as with that god you mention.

The notion of Satan being God's adversary, rather than God's servant who's an adversary to Man, comes from Zoroastrianism, not Judaism.

I am an Konkani speaker. There are some words in English which come from our language (sugar, sakkar) and also vice versa (bottle, batli). In terms of gods however we mostly retain Hindu Indian deities.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhist_art

Indra's vajra and Zeus/Jupiter's thunderbolt.

Shit, I dunno! Maybe Jung was right?

There's also this handsome fellow, found guarding Buddhist temples and inspired by Herakles.

I remember seeing a Herakles in an exhibit of ancient Arabia. Apparently his and Apollo's cults were popular there.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izanagi#Parallels
this i always found super-weird.

Reminder that the Vedic gods such as Brahma, Indra, Agni etc. live on in Japan.
>Deities of the 12 directions in Japanese Esoteric Buddhism (Mikkyō 密教), including the four directions and four semi-directions, up and down, and sun and moon. Deva is a Sanskrit term meaning god, deity, or celestial being. It is rendered as Ten 天 in Japan (天 literally means Heaven or Celestial). The Deva are deities borrowed from Hindu mythology and adopted into Chinese and Japanese Buddhism as guardians of the monasteries of Esoteric Buddhism. They appear frequently in Japanese mandala. Among the 12, Bonten (Brahma) and Taishakuten (Indra) serve in the highest position. Also known as the Twelve Gods Protecting the World.

The Kausia is an Ancient Macedonian hat that was brought over during the conquests of Alexander the Great, and has been part of the traditional garb of many afghani peoples ever since. Bizarre that this tradition survived, it'd be akin to Britons wearing togas or some shit

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barlaam_and_Josaphat

This is pretty crazy.

Anyway I always thought the Macedonian hat was stylish as hell, even anachronistic in a way, like it reminds me of styles you'd see in the Renaissance or later.

irisharchaeology.ie/2013/12/the-helgo-treasure-a-viking-age-buddha/

>The story of Barlaam and Josaphat or Joasaph is a Christianized and later version of the story of Siddhartha Gautama, who became the Buddha.[5] In the Middle Ages the two were treated as Christian saints, being entered in the Greek Orthodox calendar on 26 August,[3] and in the Roman Martyrology in the Western Church as "Barlaam and Josaphat" on the date of 27 November.

Kek why are Christians such liars?

Several East Asian words for horse, Mongolian 'morj', Chinese 'ma', Korean 'mal', Japanese 'uma' may be related to English 'mare', from an ancient far eastern Indo-European language.

I love it how the Buddha is literally a saint of the Catholic and Orthodox Churches, (I mean literally!) and yet christards will call Buddhism satanic, pagan etc. Oh Christfaggotry just die out already.

>ywn live in a world where Buddhist successfully gathered a large following in Europe and Christianity didn't gather a large non-autistic following in China allowing for all sorts of whacky shit
it hurts

this

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seima-Turbino_phenomenon

>Qijia culture region of Gansu (centered in Lanzhou)
>The Yuezhi (Indo-European) originally lived in Gansu and lasted until around 100 BCE, when they finally succumbed to Xiongnu (Turko-Mongoloids) and were forced to emigrate.
>Siberian and Central Asian cultures, in particular with the Seima-Turbino complex.
>domesticted horses found at many Qijia sites, of Indo-European culture
>The Qijia culture and Majiayao culture took root in Gansu from 3100 BC
>The State of Qin, later to become the founding state of the Chinese empire, grew out from the southeastern part of Gansu, specifically the Tianshui area. The Qin name is believed to have originated, in part, from the area
>The IE people extensive contact with Chinese in this area birthed the Qin

>coins from the Kilwa Sultanate, from the 12th century coast of Tanzania, have been found in northern Australia
australiangeographic.com.au/topics/history-culture/2014/08/mystery-of-ancient-african-coins-found-in-australia

>Norsemen in the 11th century explored and attempted to settle in North America
smithsonianmag.com/history/the-vikings-a-memorable-visit-to-america-98090935/?no-ist

>what might be the head of a Roman statue found in a digsite in Mexico
econ.ohio-state.edu/jhm/arch/calix.htm

Ming Dynasty junk ships might have traveled to the east coast of north and/or south America. Islamic ships may have reached the Americas before Columbus as well.
These theories aren't widely accepted though.

didn't know there are konkani speakers on Veeky Forums
goan? glad to see you here bud.

Contributing to this thread,

The story of Hera matches with the story of goddess laxmi in hinduism.

You guys would probably like this one too.

>>coins from the Kilwa Sultanate, from the 12th century coast of Tanzania, have been found in northern Australia

from the indonesians maybe? they were part of the spice trade and ive read somewhere that the indonesians used to trade with northern australians aborigines.

>WE WUZ QINZ AND SHIT
Am I in stormfront?

The Qin was a duchy of the feudal kingdom that was Zhou China. It was established to defend the Western boreders from attacks by Nomads.

It just so happens that the Duke of Qin also hired the same Nomads -either defeated foes or refugees- for his cavalry forces and allowed some to marry with local nobility.

When the Zhou state collapsed, the erstwhile dukedomes/marches/principalities became states themselves.

That said: cavalry wasn't the reason why the Qin state won. It was the overall military industrial complex than Yinzheng built, the core of which was a massive infantry army. That and very good commanders.

The Qin nobility spoke Sinitic while the indigenous Rong/Qiang were absorbed by military prowess(A northeastern parallel would be the state of Yan).

The Rong/Qiang were Mongoloids with affinities to Shang/Zhou era populations(craniofacial studies).

I'd imagine it repoularized in western culture during the Renaissance because of the European interest in white cultural antiquity, or whatever they could obfuscate into being white culture. Much in the way we recycle different fashions with shifting political landscapes and cultural norms, taking old formats and recontextualizing them with new meanings that could be opposition to its previous incarnation.

the direct cross influences were more about art style, method and technique, same as with architecture, fashion, customs and ideas of all sort, sincretic combo-gods were just a byproduct

There was an instance in like, 200 CE of some of Marcus Aurelius's envoys establishing contact with some Han Dynasty officials. The officials invited them back to China, and the Romans brought word back to the empire, but nothing major came of it until the Arabs could be controlled so that the Silk Road could be built.

Shows how they knew of each other way back then, but they were so far apart they weren't even concerned until economics got involved.

Alexander spread the Greek statue canon through the ancient Hellenic world, which would eventually spread throughout the Orient as well. Given that Greek statue canon was effectively a perfected form of the Egyptian one, it could be said that the Egyptians were the direct source of all depictions of people via statues throughout the world.

Bodhidharma crossed the Himalayas in the 6th century BC to begin teaching Zen Buddhism in China and found the famous Shaolin monastery.

I read something super interesing about buddhist hellenism the other day but I don't remember exactly what it was