Why are you interested in fashion?

Why are you interested in fashion?

Honestly, i like hearing about fashion philosophies. Also, i realize that fa isnt a hive mind, so hear me out on my generalizations.

Given the ways arguments here tend to go (youll never get pussy wearing THAT, faggot) and threads are structured (can i wear this/should i buy this/how do i pull this off), i wonder where the appeal is in clothing here.

There are some typical comments that lead me to believe that most people on Veeky Forums arent genuinely dressing for themselves. Stuff like "no one wears that sort of thing irl" and "how do i wear this"

Anyway, when it comes down to it, what do you think about when you buy an article of clothing or when you step in your closet? No need to defend yourself on anything. If you honestly just do it for sex, fair.

Literally to impress people, anyone who says otherwise is a lying sack of shit

i like the idea that someone could potentially know all they need to know about me just by looking at me. a manicured outfit and wardrobe says a lot about a person, and i enjoy fashion because i get to outwardly express myself in that way. i dont like to talk so i let my appearance do it for me, i suppose.

pretty much happened freshman year of HS

I have always been art inclined but I got into fashion particularly because I liked this girl who I thought dressed really well and she liked a guy that dressed well too.

I tried to up my clothing game by looking at some of the fashion forums and trying to copy them. I dressed pretty much carbon copy of the Veeky Forums minimalist uniform. white ocbd black sweater black jeans white shoes bomber jacket when it was cold. I browsed tumblr/sufu/fa/ a lot and would say I was pretty knowledgeable about fashion trends at the time(this sounds super cringey to me even while typing but at the time its what I thought). I started to experiment with the different meme styles about the same time(palewave,lunarcore,gothninja(wtf was I doing),marc demaco, etc)

In the end I never got the girl, I am still shy and awkward as fuck,but I found something that I enjoyed doing(I got voted best dressed in HS. I was surprised people even knew my name desu).

Thats fine, but my problem with this logic is that people who accept this concept would have to accept that fashion and sex appeal are completely subjective, yet i can easily imagine a 100+ post thread full of passioned nerds ripping on a guy in cargo pants and a polo or a fedora or whatever.

I am incredibly vain.

Good answer

I dress for comfort.

Because I don't feel comfortable when I know I look like shit. I also don't feel comfortable when I'm overdressed or undressed. I feel a lot more confident around people when I'm dressed well and I feel people find me easier to be around when I'm not dressed like a teenager.

If you wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the house smelling like shit why would you be comfortable leaving the house when you look like shit?

I am vain and very self-conscious, especially bout my looks. I just got into fashion because I realized that for most of my life I dressed like trash so I finally decided to redo my wardrobe. I think my self-consciousness really has to do with me being a manlet. I know that wearing nice clothes wont change much but it's the least I can do even if I cant be properly fashionable because manlet status

Right now I'm just getting into fashion, before I was very, I don't wanna say minimal but, just throw a shirt and jeans on.
Before in my middle school and early high school days I wanted to get into fashion only because I didn't want to look like those ESL Spanish kids that dressed, I dunno how to even describe it but I didn't want that look. I wanted to have multiple sneaks like all the other kids and have then bleep phones and nice shirts and jeans. Never got to, but around the summer before my sophomore year I started hanging with a group of friends [I hung with them in middle school but not as much] who also didn't have the multiple sneaks, nice t shirts and no one ever said shit to them. Then again though they were that group that was always getting into fights but still, hanging with them I was like, fuck it gotta make it work anyway and had a similar attitude to match, not exact as my friends though cause I'm nicer than them. Sharping my black/white sneaks red or blue just so it can look like I had another pair of sneaks in a different color. Not caring if I had Ed jardy or whatever brand was hot that season.
After I left high school I dressed more for comfort, i would buy clothes as time went on but only wear 4/5 shirts and 2/3 jeans when I have in my closet +20 shirts and +15 jeans.
But again right now i want to get into fashion more so to try new things, little bit cause again I used to wanna when I was little and now it's like "if you wanna get into it DIY no one is gunna walk up to you and show you" and also cause I wanna have clothes to match whatever occasion.

Sorry for the long post, feels kinda therapeutic writing all that out.

TL;Dr
New things, old interest, clothes to match the season/occasion.

I'm interested in "fashion" because I want to look in the mirror and be proud of my personal outfits.

Veeky Forums has helped me adjust my style of what to wear. 2 years ago you would probably see me wearing loose fit jeans with rolled pant cuffs because I didn't know how pants should fit. Buying slim cut jeans and having the length of the inseam tailored made me look and feel surprisingly better.

The same thing can be applied to T-Shirts. I had about 5 shirts that were too big in terms of shoulder and length. Now I always make sure to have my shoulder length fit.

p.s: Palewave is sick.

I do it to look good. When I dress comfortable and fly, I am confident.

Guy, I'm pretty sure smelling and looking like shit two different things. You can stand next to a shit dresser but do you really wanna stand next to someone who smells like shit.

that's just you, you shallow fagboi. Some people use fashion as a means to express themselves.

I like to stand out but not in an over the top sort of way. even when I wasn't into fashion I would still get "loud" pieces like shoes or jackets that might not have been very expensive but could grab someones attention. I also like the idea about being apart of a niche hobby that most people don't know much about in detail. It makes it a good conversation topic.

I like the things I buy of course but I would be lying if I didn't want I would also like if a girl could recognize that I take care of myself and attend to my image.

This

To project a little of my peronality/story to passers by
It's never been to impress or draw attention, but rather for people to see me and perhaps understand or have an insight into who I really am

thats drawing attention mane

It's an art form that we're all obligated to participate in both in consumption and production. It's also socially rewarding in certain circles - more like social death in those circles if you've got basic/trend style desu

It's also a ton of fun.

People itt thinking an interest in fashion is going to get them girls are idiots. Basic girls don't give a shit about style, just ingroup signalling. and if they have taste and an interest in fashion, you're never going to impress them dressing to get girls instead of actual engagement

>Sharping my black/white sneaks red or blue just so it can look like I had another pair of sneaks in a different color
poorfags. not even once

I'm interested in fashion because I get more confident when I'm well dressed. My styles vary a lot, some days i go hipster tier, others (like today) I look like a frat bro with shorts, boat shoes and a Polo Ralph Lauren oxford shirt. I often vary my fits depending on mood and weather (for example, today is sunny as fuck so I decided to go for something that goes well with it).

When it comes to getting laid I honestly think no one can pull chicks with just a good fit. Confidence and unhindered social skills are what matters, but if you dress well and smell nice girls will be more interested in you.

Why do i like fashion as a whole? Because designer stuff and nice fits are iteresting and nice to look at and think about why theyre good.

When I buy myself clothes I usually think "I like that, it would look good on me" andI just want to look cool with my own style

Maybe, but who are you impressing? If you wanted to impress as many people as possible you'd just be wearing gaudy expensive preppy brands.

because i bought a ton of kicks and i dont wanna look retarded wearing em

'impressing' doesn't rounds up to only 'showing off your wealth'. demonstrating that you have taste, knowledge in obscure brands and uncommon fabrics, or even having the balls to wear something super experimenal or plain goofy - it all counts as 'impressing' you give people whatever impression you intent to.

Because it is fun to shop and make fits

Fun things are fun

Because I try to form a relationship with my fellow people mediated through pictures.

i like that every article of clothing in the world means different things to different people..

i like abstract art, music, fashion.. sometimes i see people on the street dressed so abstract it's like a political cubist painting.. not just in the shapes but the brands they put together, what the different articles of clothing mean and how they are put together. it's really interesting to me

i also like being able to blend in and stand out at the same time. it all just depends on who you are as a person..

i like dressing how i feel like and that people can look at me and know.. but then i also like to be nothing special. also i want to dress good everyday so if i die that day at least i died looking what i think is beautiful

sorry for bad writing

I'm not really that confident and dressing in a way that makes me feel comfortable and makes me look like I take care of myself helps.
So paying attention to how I dress is something I do for myself to impress others if that makes any sense. And of course there is the hobby element of looking at clothes I could never pull off/afford.

Interesting thread OP

Interesting thread boys

I believe I express myself wearing stuff I like. Also feel confident when dressed the way I love. It's like I'm independent of whatever people say and just do what I want to do (however my style is more like minimalistic). It may sound too gay but Beau Brammel's idea about "conspicuous inconspicuousness" is kinda my fashion ideology

Well if it makes you feel better I don't sharpie my sneaks anymore.

I like wearing pretty clothes and have no problem spending thousands of Euros per season on it. There are fascinating clothes out there, in function, form, colour, material. High fashion clothing usually has great manufacture, and I enjoy owning it and looking at it.

People usually come up with reasons like "to look successful", "to look higher status", "to attract girls", but they make me chuckle. I believe most people try to find a "rational justification" for spending money on clothes, especially men.

Protip: Women don't care how you dress. It's just a checklist to show that you take care of yourself.

That's a sad viewpoint. I suggest reading Socrates, Aurelius, or Eckhart Tolle.

me right here

I think it's really cool. I wanna be more fashionable, look more presentable, wear cool clothes and flex on people. Outfits look cool when pulled off right, I'd love for someone to stop me because of how well I'm dressed.

idk i guess i see it as a creative outlet

i love experimenting and finding new looks and also learning from others

I'm a guy so I try to dress cute to attract other guys who can pound my boipussy hard

I've always felt like an outcast. Especially when I used to wear fits that had no meaning to myself back when my parents/relatives would buy my clothes.
Now that I have developed better taste and have the money to support a habit of wearing what I feel comfortable in, I am not so lonely. In a sense that, I am able to convey the world my headspace lives in and therefore don't feel so lost. In this way I am also able to attract new sorts of individuals.

I'm not a fashion enthusiast, so I just dress well in order for it to not be something that ever holds me back or takes up brain space. It's the same reason I work out - simply so I don't have to stress or worry about my body so I can focus on other stuff.

that's really deep dude you sound like you must have gone through some shit
5'9" bro here don't be insecure, bridge that mind/body gap dude girls don't care that much

I got into fashion because I want to express myself and look outwardly the same way I feel inside. I feel like whenever I'm wearing something aesthetically appealing, it's like an inward and outward expression of my being, like I feel complete and like the full version of myself.

Before, I was an obese middle schooler who didn't even think twice about what he put on or how he looked. I had zero hygiene habits and no understanding or connection with my body. Afterwards, I wanted to wear band tees to attract other people into the same stuff I liked. I was really insecure about how I looked, but then I started taking care of myself and get to where I am now, where I'm satisfied with my skin and stuff.

I still wear clothes to catch people's interest, because I want to find people that are similarly minded and stuff, but it's also important to me on a personal level. You should live life beautifully.

this is a really cool and insightful thread that is actually meaningful discussion about fashion btw thanks for posting, so much better than the braindead "is this Veeky Forums" shit that this board has turned into

>discussion
there's like 4 posts that even reply to anyone other than the OP. it's a survey, not a discussion.

we've had a lot of good meta threads in the past week - check the archive for "wearing your clothes.", "slowdown of fashion discussion", "ideology vs aesthetics" and even "most /fa videogame?" for a lot of thoughtful posts - this isn't one of them.

M00t invented fashion

i guess you're right, i just thought it was interesting to see how other people explain their interest in fashion

will check those out

nice pic related btw

it's lifted straight from the fascist thread that's alive right now, which contains probably the very opposite example of good discussion

>i just thought it was interesting to see how other people explain their interest in fashion
no I agree I just wish people were talking to each other more besides one line comments

> There are some typical comments that lead me to believe that most people on Veeky Forums arent genuinely dressing for themselves. Stuff like "no one wears that sort of thing irl" and "how do i wear this"

Obviously

Veeky Forums is autists who can't dress, but narcissistic and arrogant enough to think they should dress. It'll be their 'trick' that'll make them stand out in highschool. i.e. they want a uniform.

note also that the biggest wear of any uniform wearing is that they'll be found out to be a uniform wearer, then the power goes. so you get the constant hawking of what is played out, in etc. some people literally hate normcore now, it's weird.

Everybody cares about fashion to a certain degree. I mean i remember picking out sick quiksilver shirts and rejecting others back in middleschool. So your question is probably more "why do you take it so seriously?"

Well this girl i liked was pretty hip and always had nice fits. I started dressing better in an attempt to woo her. The girl came and went but the confidence I gained from dressing well stayed. I couldn't go back to dressing like shit given how easy dressing well was. Then when you get past the entry level stuff, you start following designers. This is the best part because you've evolved beyond just wearing clothes and now you can view garments as more of an abstract concept. This is when you really start enjoying fashion as an art and not as consumption.

maybe at the start but one can value the confidence one gets from the clothes more than the impression you imprint on others

this is a good response. fashion, like most things, is a way to focus your energy to try and overcome inner demons, but eventually it holds itself up in it's reward

Started off wanting to dress better, fell for the selvedge/raw denim meme and got interested with basic construction/fabrics/detailing. Now i just enjoy it because its fun seeing what people/brands put out and comparing them while refining what i want to do with myself style wise.

I mean things like needles engineered garments and kapital are awesome, but i'd get weird ass looks if i dress up in them. I'll enjoy them for their uniqueness and might have 1-2 less "out there" pieces which i can work into my wardrobe. Also piecing together what works well together and what doesn't work together is interesting. Kinda like a puzzle trying to sort out what works for my body shape specifically and not dickriding on inspo pics straight up.

And finally yea i'll admit it feels good to wear something you like and believe is of good quality. Kinda like discreet flexing, cz all my friends would give me shit if they knew how much my clothing retail's for.

I havent even gone into the whole thing on trying on different fabrics and textures, and the whole collecting/archiving mentality

I got skinny and my clothes didn't fit me anymore so I thought now that I'm wealthy I should get some good clothes instead of $20 jeans and converse. So I started researching shit before buying like any intelligent person does and got sucked in generally.

started out wanting to look better for self-esteem purposes

already had an interest in lots of experimental/weird/outsider/extreme music and art, same tastes carried over and I drifted towards more bizarrely expressionistic fashion

I like clothes that inspire me
I'm too poor for fashion though, I dress pretty basic and just save pretty pictures

I wanna look cool, duh

So you're socially awkward?

Wanted people on the internet to think i'm cool/be in that community (/rog/). Live pretty far away from a lot of my friends so talking on Veeky Forums is good

>namedropping babbys first philosophers

no thanks

also Tolle is a fucking hack

This was really nice to hear. I mean i probably still dont dress exactly like how i would like to, nor would you probably agree with me on my particular taste. Still, i havent been on Veeky Forums in a while and i felt alone in my desire to wear nice outfits and be interested in things that arent exactly fashionable or currently on trend. I dont mean to sound holier than thou either, i honestly started to feel very self conscious about not being on trend reading through a few threads.

Also, i never posted my personal opinions about fashion.

I have tried out a LOT of shit, and I am finally realizing that what i wear definitely has a lot of influence on my mood. Im coming to a place where one of the silly trends i experimented with is actually very comforting to me, and despite it being pretty well hated here, i like it for what it does for my confidence.

I also have some serious anxiety issues, and being able to fiddle with my clothing is grounding sometimes. So I am interested in my outfits having a variety of textures that i can touch.

Theres also the fact that i am interested in textile and fiber based art and sculpture, and seeing weird, well made things in my closet makes for a really nice experience. Its good to walk into your closet and not feel immediately overwhelmed or bored.

How is this namedropping? All of them are moral philosophers that preach virtue, humility, and abstaining from egoism. Tolle is a great intro.

i like fashion like i like music, and film

some films are just awesome, just so cool,

same with clothes

and you can wear em!

So pure

great post

>now that I'm wealthy
What do you do? I often wonder what people here do for a job besides the wagecucks and students (probably 80% of those here)

That's a beautiful post t b h