Postman vs. Docs

Hey Veeky Forums. I'm pretty set on a black low top derby style shoe. However, I'm torn between the Red Wing Postman and the Dr. Marten's Black Mono 1461. To me, each has pros and cons that eventually balance out, which I'll explain in the next couple posts.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/goodyearwelt/comments/4hn181/initial_impressions_trickers_black_shell_cordovan/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So the reason I'm into the Postman is because they are clean and give a kind of "exclusive" look. They are also essentially the same shoe as the Common Project Derby. The wedge sole is cool, but I'm unsure of its versatility. I'm inspired by pic related when it comes to fits I could incorporate this shoe into

Postmans are superior, alot better materials and better siluette. A bit more expensive, but more than worth it. They also don't have the feminist/numale stamp of the martens

As for the Doc Martens, I like their classic silhouette and the versatility in that they can cross into a grungier or more casual look. However, I worry about their quality, and I also worry about their soles looking big or clownish. For these, I'm inspired by pic related and other fits. Ultimately, I don't think I could go truly wrong with either shoe, but I'm sure one will end up being more versatile and interesting/inspiring to myself and others as I learn to incorporate the shoe into fits more effortlessly and experimentally

I have both pairs of shoes. In short, I much prefer the docs to the postmans.

I fell for the postman meme because of pics similar to yours. The angle that picture is taken at is probably the shoe's most flattering point of view. From the top as well as the front it looks like total shit and I never wear them for this reason.

I've owned my docs for 3 years, worn and oiled them consistently, (made in China) and they're still in great shape. An added bonus is their price, meaning you aren't really conscious about fucking them up while wearing them.

Just my 2 memes

How would you describe your style? My main concern with the docs is that they would be excluding me from creating "intellectual" or sharp looking fits.
You're not wrong about the postmans though. I've seen a few pictures of them from the top and front in fits and they look kind of weird and bulbous/chunky

PS GET SOME BLACK DERBY INSPO IN THIS THREAD

postmans are fucking chunky and ugly as shit
docs at least have some association of style
postmans are made by fucking red wing, the king of bulky-ass shoes

Chunky shoes are cool/versatile in their own right. Not that guy but for me they create an interesting silhouette when i wear slim/tapered pants. Hillariously stupid with skinny jeans tho

From those two, the postman. But there are so many other options.

doc look a lot better in that picture.

Patrician derbies incoming

Any other derbies to consider besides postman if I want to go /rafcore/

raf ones

Requesting some black derby fits without black pants.

Raf Simons
Prada
Jil Sander
Dior

Adding in most english shoemakers should fit your bill. E.g. Church's and sanders (and its subsidiaries so mcnairies, thom browne). Pic related church's

Docs mono. They're cheap enough. Quality isn't that bad. Plus postmans crease and age like cow shit.

i love me docs

theyre fairly cheap (compared to postmans anyway) and go on sale often so there isnt too much hard in thrashing them

About to cop the docs myself,

Why the fuck are they always out of stock? Need an 8.5M, unavailable on their website, on Amazon it's only $60 for some reason, doesn't really matter because they don't have sizes either.

Christ Derbies look so disgusting

Buy Solovair

made in uk

bought mine 3 years ago and they look brand new still

I appreciate the write up. I would go for postman, but only because 1461 is a bit done. wedge sole is cool.

I would get the Docs because the Postmans are so fugly.

>An added bonus is their price, meaning you aren't really conscious about fucking them up while wearing them.
And this.

Lol pretty sure I've worn that exact outfit but with a navy jacket instead of black.

I have the 1461 Mono's and I wouldn't worry about the quality. I've only had mine for like 7 months and they're wearing very nicely. I haven't been very good about oiling them and they're still showing almost no signs of wear other than some creasing, which is to be expected. The sole shows hardly any wear actually.

I bought them for the versatility and chunky silhouette. I wear them with fits like the one in your pic as well as more formal stuff (wore them with black slacks and a white button down for graduation and they looked good. They do feel sort of awkward at first because they're big but you get used to it fast. They don't look weird to other people unless you actually have the wrong size which should be obvious.

I'd recommend them. I've never had postman's but they look a lot harder to work into a more casual outfit.

i would really like my doc mono 1460 to be a bit trashed and dirty but it looks like those shoes last forever ...

I wear a lot of slightly cropped trousers and tees/sweaters. If your goal is to look like an intellectual (the opposite of the white new balance type) then compare another derbie or brogue to the docs rather than postmans.

>tfw you got some 1461 monos on sale and ordered a size 9 mens but they sent you a size 9 womens/ size 8 mens and you were too autistic to return them so now you're stuck with shoes you cant wear

Well that's pretty much what I'm going to wear with them. I think the docs could look sharp as long ad the rest of the fit is clean.

Thanks everybody for your input. I'm kinda leaning towards docs but postmans are still appealing since they aren't played out to shit

Just get the Docs Veeky Forumsm.

Depending on whether they run large or true to size I may be looking to cop from you

>Need an 8.5M, unavailable on their website
exact same for me :/. size 9 is too big and 8 too small

postmans look better and are of much better quality. i own 1461 monos (made in china) and they look like plastic shits, the sole especially looks awful after a year of wear. im copping postmans asap

Do postmans fit TTS?

where to cop that sweatshirt

why is Veeky Forums so stuck on these two shoes

there are other shoes of the same style that look better imo

plus the postman develop these absolutely horrible creases in the toebox

they age terribly

brand familiarity makes making uneducated buys easy
people know the name red wing, and they know docs, and that's fucking it, so they make decisions without actually taking the time to find something really good.

People like are the same fucking way

He asked for raf core you dip, those are the things raf wears

opinion on cp derby shines

superior derby or what

thinking about getting a pair but fuck $500 msrp

I dig them in general but not sure how I like the contrasting crepe sole. It's a little out of place in the regularly clean and modernistic take you see in CP's footwear

way better looking in my opinion and you don't have to pay retail. Grailed sometimes has them floating around 250

Boring shoe, multiple other companies does something similar and often cheaper. Red wings danner and a multitude of shoemakers does something like that, its a basic black derby with a crepe/wedge sole. For my money i'd personally opt for something like instead or any other proper shoemaker.

c/n Raf derbys for $400 on Grailed? Or should I just cop a pair of Postmans for like a third of that

not him, but Raf. He sold it on Grailed a while back, I think, but it might still be on there idk

are these CCP? If not what are they

they're CCP m8

ID on shoes?

ended up picking up postmans for $150, hope they're dece

where'd you cop it?

ebay auction

>Postmans age horribly
Source?

Any recs for shoes just like these?
Don't want the clown sole of docs or wedge like postmans

these are pretty dope

Oiled? You mean a leather conditioner or what?

i wear a 9.5 US and can mostly get my foot in it, they're a tad narrow i think which is more the problem than the length.

reddit.com/r/goodyearwelt/comments/4hn181/initial_impressions_trickers_black_shell_cordovan/