History That Shaped Humanity

I'm a STEMfag and I realized lately I don't know jack shit about anything non-STEM and I want to change that. I want to learn about the history of mankind and pick up a couple of books to read about it. What would you say are the three most important things I should read about? Could be events, could be empires, could be people, anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fUbXgl6WHYU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>STEM
you were destined to be a XXIst century slave

don't read anything, don't question anything

End of Faith - Sam Harris
Guns Germs of Steel - Jared Diamond
Discipline and Punish - Michel Foucault

If you have not taken a course on history of STEM nor philosophy of STem, you equally know jack shit about STEM.

I'll take fries with that thank you.

The Great Transformation by Armstrong

topkek

At least for the West, the most important shapers of humanity today are, in no particular order:

The New World and the bickering the ensued
French Revolution
Enlightenment
Fall of Rome, Fall of HRE
Gradual rise of the Church
WWII (also read WWI not because it's important but it sets the tone for WWII)
Cold War (which you'll probably like the best).

Before the fall of Rome, Rome was the biggest shaper of Western Culture, but read up on shit like the Ottomans.

Eh theres a Few things you should really know if you want to be globally informed.

Asian isolationism.
>Beginning of time until late 1800s
Islamic control of the middle east, starting with Judea Christian history.
>also Hellenism (this is important)
>2000bce onwards, emphasis on the fall of ottoman empire.
The Roman empire, the 2 schisms.
>why it fell. The two factions that formed, rise of christianity, the split of christianity.
The rise of colonialism and imperialism.
>british/Spanish exploration. French frontiers. World War 1 and 2 (with emphasis on 1, since 2 was a continuation of the same shit in most places)

Study all of this, and you will understand why there is an east and a west.... why we war the way we do, and what for.

This is some hot trash.

We answered very similarly....
But why the cold war? It doesn't reallyou have a long lasting impact... I doubt it will even be remembered in 200 Years as a "cold war" just as extended hostilities post ww2

>oesn't reallyou have a long lasting impact...
We are still being affected by the treaties and the governmental bonds today, as well as the cultural influences like the whole Russia america thing, same with NATO and the UN.

How so friendo?
Is it possible these things (ussr falls, space race, proliferation) could have transpired with out east/west tension in the form of a cold war? I think yes. But I dunno, I could be wrong. I'm only a 3 time college drop out

hey OP, Scientists use math which is expressed through the classical set theory that is ZFC.

Under scientific realism, the math done by the scientist is real, like electrons and photons are real (as some eigenvectors of their number operator).

This means that the axioms of ZFC are r.eal.
Now, one of the axioms is that there is a set (it is an axiom in the metalogic).

Now, where in the universe is this set? How do I observe it? measure it?

not op, but i have some knowledge on the subject.

your implication that ZFC is real is flawed tho because it doesnt apply to "real" math. it applies to theoretical maths.

Sure we can use things like algebra (which in reality do not exist) to find a solution, or we can do geometry which is "real" to find the solution.

This set you want to observe is any equation or any sum of things, any thing.

4 rocks sitting together is a set of rocks. you can observe that, you can observe there are four of them.

the conjecture "there is a set" as you say it, means only that there is a number associated with the solution, yes? help me understand if im wrong.... but you are applying postulates and axioms (zfc) to real maths theory (sets) where ZFC is only a set of axioms that are non-paradoxical.

word your question in a way that doesnt intentionally throw off the reader.

Interesting, what are the best books on the Holy Roman Empire and the Church?

Preferably something I can find in my local bookstore.

What do you think about Documentaries?
youtube.com/watch?v=fUbXgl6WHYU

If you want philosophy start with Geneology of Morality.

rekt

>Fall of Rome, Fall of HRE

Excuse me but I couldn't help but notice you grouped these together. Was this a mistake?

Nice I can watch this.

is this a meme or something? can't find any papers regarding this.

>Now, one of the axioms is that there is a set
>Now, where in the universe is this set? How do I observe it? measure it?

What the hell are you talking about?

K E K

>History That Shaped Humanity
The Modal Container. Literally any literature on it. It's the most responsible for the global economy being it's current state.

>Guns Germs of Steel - Jared Diamond
>unironically shilling that counter-factual shit

>Foucault
>Sam Harris
And post-modernist bullshit to boot. Jesus, you're a walking fucking stereotype.

what if we observe an element in the empty set?

Then it's not the empty set.