Shaving soap and brush?

this might not be fashion, but men's grooming seems Veeky Forums enough. anyone use a brush and shave soap? I've been wanting to get into wet shaving with a safety razor for a while and looking for an entry point.

I just use a cheap bar of soap, and foam it in my hands. Try to get a white softish one they are the best. I get mine as a four pack. works as well as anything else. The trick to getting a nice and compatible shave is really to soften your bristle and skin with hot water before you shave.

canned creams are better

and the gilette disposables are getting faster and faster

don't bother shaving with saftey razors, they were a fad we all bought into and moved on from when art of shaving hit the market

now even AOS sells disposables

>>>reddit

>rubbing propane on your face

Just buy a cheap Omega brush and some Col. Conk soap. I've been using these for years and it's been great. I couldn't say if it's any better than when I was using disposables, as that was years ago and I had less facial hair then, but it's certainly cheaper.

either you don't shave or you have like 17 stray whiskers on your chin and it doesn't matter what you use.

idk about you, but i can clearly see a difference using a safety razor and a go brush/soap than when i was pleb tier using gillette crap. my face just feels much nicer and less irritated.

Like I said, it was a long ass time ago. I just don't remember having any problems.

So sexy, if I found out a guy used this, so many points. holy fuck this is hawt

Pre shave (I get my best shaves when I use this)
Omega boar bristle brush from their pro line
DE safety razor with feather blades
Regular bowl
Alum block
Aftershave balm

Way cheaper and far more superior than using electrical/cartridges. Less irritation and it's way more satisfying. I still use my Philips once in awhile when I don't have the time to prep or in the shower but never buying a cartridge or disposables again.

My badger brush sheds hair every time I use it, about 10-15 strands average. Is it fucked? Shit get everywhere when I lather up.

I heard feather blades are notoriously sharp and not a good idea for beginners.

I think shedding is pretty normal. 10-15 seems excessive though. Are you lathering up in a bowl or on your face? Are you overworking it? I lose about 4-5 hairs out of my boar bristle brush.

I lather up in a bowl. It must have been the hot water soaks I used to do when I was new to wet shaving. The glue is probably ruined by now that's why the shedding is crazy.

yeah warm water > hot water. I made the same mistake as a rookie thinking scalding hot water was ideal.

You need to soften it more with warm water. Also, no touching during the drying process, shake it insider your shower instead.
From time to time you'll also need to use a bit of normal soap on the brush to remove excess fat from your shaving soap.

There are lots of great YouTube channels for this stuff. They will literally shave on camera, and that's the extent of their content. Although, i did get some good advice on soaps & such from them

Currently using Proraso Green Soap and a Semogue (can't remember model #) with a Merkur 34C and DE Feather blades or something from Walgreens

Forgot about My Aftershave Balm, which is some Nivea Cooling stuff or whatever also from Walgreens
Don't EVER use alcohol-based Aftershave on your face. NEVER!

Does anyone know of warm shaving cream?

I used to do the wet shave meme till I bought an Andis T Outliner and Wahl 5 star foil shaver to shave.
Gets closer, quicker, more comfortable, and less expensive in the long run.

how do you like the Merkur? I'm between that and an Edwin Jager

warm shaving cream is a meme. you should mix your own soap in a bowl. anything with a propellant in a can has chemicals in it that irritate your face. warm water to wet the face is all you need.

Holy shit the advice in here is crap

I can't believe my eyes

>anyone use a brush and shave soap? I've been wanting to get into wet shaving with a safety razor for a while
Yes.

>and looking for an entry point.
Omega 48 Professional boar brush, costs like 10-15 dollarydoos, cheap and easy to replace if it gets fucked.
Valobra almond soft soap, builds the best lather of anything I've ever seen. Italian style soft soaps are GOAT in general.

This is true. Gillette greens or yellows are the best to start with, they're cheap and mild.

There is a ton of bad advice in here OP, what you want is a synthetic brush, they can be had for around $10 and are extremely easy to learn on and lather with, no need for a bowl either you can just face lather (highly recommend Maggard Razors)
Bar soap doesn't lather well, crap advice
>using chemicals all over your face
Also learning to use a safety razor is fucking easy, it's a misconception that they easily cut or are hard to use
Col. Conk is notoriously CRAP soap, it doesn't give a good lather, do not buy OP
Depends on the brush, it may be shedding because it's a cheapo shit badger, I don't know much about animal hair brushes but a good-tier badgers are normally a bit expensive
MISADVICE, blades vary from face to face, Feathers are fine for a beginner if they are right for your face, make sure you try a lot of blades OP
More bad advice, there is no "good blade to start with"

>Col. Conk is notoriously CRAP soap
Says who? Multiple websites give it average to above average ratings. I've seen similar on forums. I've used it and it's perfectly fine, lathers up slowly but still lathers. I prefer it to muhle soap and some other random ones I've tried. It also costs nothing compared to many alternatives. I think it's worth op to try it for $6. He doesn't like it, he only wasted money that amounts to a couple cups of coffee.

You either have all of 4 hairs on your chin or you're especially retarded. Point is, you're very uninformed.

For $6 he could grab some samples of way better stuff than Col. Conk. Even your average puck of Williams shave soap is better and it's

>Pre-shave isn't necessary, but some peeps claim it helps. For me personally, I found no difference between a hot shower and using a pre-shave. And this is coming from someone who has barbed wire thick facial hair.
It's not really about the hair thickness desu, it's about the skin toughness. I have ricepaper-thin skin around the throat, and preshave oil leads to like a 90% reduction in scrapes/nicks (I never nick myself at all on jaw/chin/cheeks, so I'm pretty sure it's the skin and not me still being a pleb tier shaver after like a decade).

>MISADVICE, blades vary from face to face, Feathers are fine for a beginner if they are right for your face, make sure you try a lot of blades OP
>More bad advice, there is no "good blade to start with"
You're retarded, sharper blades are absolutely worse to learn with. It's true that trying out many types is good though, getting a blade sampler off ebay is a solid plan.

Hmm... You're right. I have bitch-skin though. It's easy for it to be too dry where it's about to crack, or greasy.