What can you tell me about the olmecs?

What can you tell me about the olmecs?
what's the general concensus here about them?

Other urls found in this thread:

cjohnson-shs.weebly.com/uploads/1/6/6/1/16615480/1493-the_true_importance_of_christopher_columbus-lies_my_teacher_told_me_ch1.pdf
raceandhistory.com/historicalviews/ancientamerica.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They were among the early cultures of Mesoamérica, perhaps not the 'mother culture', but they had contemporaries who were on par with them like the Zapotecs and Tlatilco. But still they are generally regarded as the 'sumerians' of Mesoamerica. Their ethnicity is still debated but believed to be among the Mixe-Zoquean groups, probably Zoque. The name Olmec means rubber people, and it is not what they called themselves, this is a Nahuatl term, a language they did not speak. The origins of their civilization go back to around 1600-1400 BC, but farming in the área goes back to at least 5100-4600 BC. The cultural área where Olmec civilization came from was in the Gulf coast of South and Central Mexico. But their influence extended into the Pacific coasts Isthmus of Tehuantepec región, into the Valley of Mexico and into Guatemala and El Salvador.

They was kangz n sheeut.

It's known that they were once united under a man named King Wewuz who is believed to have came from West Africa, thus the unusual appearence of the stone heads when compared to Mexican people.

They are regarded as one of the six cradles of Civilizations. They built Mesoamerica's first cities and were among its first conquerors, making them a rival power to the Zapotecs of Monte Alban. Their principal ancient cities are La Venta, San Lorenzo and Tres Zapotes. We do not know the original names of these place unfortunately since we still do not know their language with certainty and have only been able to decipher part of the glyphs writing system. Among the Olmecs we see some of the earliest depictions of popular Mesoamerican deities like Quetzalcóatl. Possibly the rain Gods came from a kind of were-jaguar god. Olmecs seemed to have an obsession with infants, we know they practiced cranial deformation like the Maya later would, and jaguar-baby like hybrids were common memes. The human and animal (which included birds and sharks also) may be a reference to shamanism. And of course their colosal heads which some pseudo-archeologists will claim were west africans even though these features are not uncommon on natives of this área. We don't know who these figures are. They may be portraits of rulers wearing ballgame headgear or ancestors of important families. Their principal cultivations were cacao and maize. which they also sometimes made into drinks.

The Aztecs also used to collect Olmec artifacts as sort of antiques. Their artwork is really neat though.

Why are chinks so weird?

Oh shit these aren't chink statues they're precolombian Indians

They did remind me of some Tang dynasty type of stuff.

Yea exactly

I had heard somewhere that the supposed “African” features of the Olmec statuary is because they are all representations of Olmec nobility, where being a fat ass was a sign of wealth and status?

I don't know but I got this.

>when the meme is fresh af

They were originally from Africa (look at the facial features in OP's image). In that respect they were one of the greatest African civilizations.

What African features ?

From "Lies my Teacher Told Me," p. 39:
Although seafarers from Africa and Asia may also have made it to the
Americas, they never make it into history textbooks. The best known are the
voyages of the Afro-Phoenicians, probably launched from Morocco but ultimately
from Egypt, that are said to have reached the Atlantic coast of Mexico in
about 750 B.C. Organic material associated with colossal heads of basalt that
stand along the eastern coast of Mexico stand has been dated to around 750
B.C. The stone heads are realistic portraits of West Africans, according to the
anthropologist Ivan Van Sertima, who has done much to bring these images into
popular consciousness.

cjohnson-shs.weebly.com/uploads/1/6/6/1/16615480/1493-the_true_importance_of_christopher_columbus-lies_my_teacher_told_me_ch1.pdf

>Implying phoenicians navigated in waters where they couldn't see the coast.

>Afro-Phoenicians,

>being this ignorant of history

raceandhistory.com/historicalviews/ancientamerica.htm

Carthage and other Phoenician settlements in NA. Sometimes used by tumblr retards who think theses people were actually black.

Tell me, why should I think any differently of this from those that claim these civilizations were founded by Aryans?

>Ivan Van Sertima
I hope this is bait, if not this guy is Daniken and Giorgio A. Tsoukalos tier

dumb /pol/poster

I'm from south america and they look like everybody in here I seriously don't understand what are you talking about.

Do all non whites look the same to you?

He's baiting. raceandhistory.com is literally the epitome of WEWUZ.

There are people unironically saying this though in this thread.

They seemed obsessed with jaguars.

they hid treasure in convoluted places and gave cryptic riddles to find it

Tell me about the Olmecs. Why did they wear the mask?

This was an ancient olmec city, called Laguna de los cerros. amazing

even their statues weren't safe from smallpox