Dress Shoes

Hey Veeky Forums, guy who made the Suit General thread a week ago here. Thanks a lot for helping me with the suit. I settled with a cheap charcoal one, and it looks fine enough.

I was shopping for dress shoes today. My budget is limited so I didn't have much to choose from, but I came across these. Are they Veeky Forums? They seem quite narrow and long, but I like the sleek look, and they fit pretty good. Will I look rediculous if I wear these at the wedding on Saturday? Or should I keep looking for something with a more traditional look? Will anyone even care, since they're black?

Also dress shoe/suit/whatever thread I guess.

They're already rippled on the side in the picture in the bottom right.

Try not to get what's cheap, as you'll be wearing these shoes many times in your life and it's imperative that they look good

Yeah I noticed. Those were a try-on pair though, they have new ones in the back.

I don't have the money to invest in a good pair right now, sadly. I just have to get something that looks decent and can be used a few times before getting destroyed. I'll definitely invest in a good suit and shoes in the future.

Also tried these out at Zara. They're pretty nice too, but they're kind of... angle-y. The look is more traditional.

another pic

pic from online store

Dude just go to H&M and get the premium quality black Derbys. Hell buy the $30 dress shoes if you're right in cash, they don't look that bad.

Checked, looks like the premium quality derbys aren't sold in my country. The brown are sold, but no black variant. They do look pretty good.

even cheap shoes can go far if you take care of them well
just apply some conditioner and brush it well
i had a church passed down from my grandfather to me with the only replacement being the shoe string and a resole

Except most cheap shoes are made of plastic and I'm not sure about how to condition plastic.

OP, millä firmalla töissä?

Eeeikun serkun häät tossa viikonloppuna tulossa...

eiku niinhän se oli, joku toinen oli lakifirmaan menossa töihin.

Joo, itsekin muistan kyseisen heebon. Toivottavasti sai hyviä neuvoja.

Do narrower dress shoes go better with slimmer suit pants and wider shoes with more normal cut pants, or does it even matter? Can't even use Google for inspo because of shit results.

go for the oxfords

Are they the shoes in the OP or the ones I posted below it? Sorry still getting familiar with the terminology.

The ones below I guess, since the ones on the OP are referred to as derby?

Hijacking the topic a bit, sorry

What do I do if I cannot wear any dress shoes at all because I get bad bruises on the back of my feet from hard backs of the shoes? Are there any options with some cushioning, because I haven't seen any? I've just landed a nice office job with a formal dress code and so far got by with slip-ons as it's summer, but feeling slightly out of options for later

(I've done a lot of running before and have slightly weirdly shaped and generally calloused feet)

Thanks

What are the smartest shoes I can pull off with black jeans?

I would stick to black derbies and longwings.

Torilla tavataan.

Hey, I remember your previous thread. And I am gonna give you the same advice I gave on buying the suit - unless you have the money to invest in decent shoes (talking 250$+ at the very least), go for the cheapest option a viable.

For the suit you picked (idk if you actually bought the slim grey one you posted previously), I'd go with black derbies. These are any shoes with open lacing. Although oxfords (shoes with closed lacing) are usually considered more formal, it's easier to get a hold of cheap derbies.

Even doe the suit is slim, I'd buy englis-cut toe ones (wider and rounder shoe tips), they seem a lot less dressy and again, should be easier to obtain.

Check pic related, you'll see the difference in lacing. The shape I recommended is similar to the lighter shoe. Don't buy black brogues unless they're some designer piece used only for casual wear (yohji).

As long they are actual black jeans (denim) and not just black pants, chelseas.

Also, the ones in op are hideous. The zara ones are much better, but still shitty. Consider some second hand stuff from eBay or somethin maybe.

I remember you from the previous thread, same writing style. Yeah I did buy the charcoal slim suit, it was the most viable option.

Thanks for taking your time and helping me again, I really appreciate it. I'll give another go at finding decent looking derbies.

Why not brogues, though (that's the slimmer type of dress shoe, right?)? Are they just hard to pull off?

These with Levi 511's?

>Thank you..
>Why not brogues, though (that's the slimmer type of dress shoe, right?)? Are they just hard to pull off?

No probs really, I can't fall asleep anyway.

No, a shoe with broguing doesn't have shape defined by the fact it's a brogue shoe, it's got nothing to do with it.
Both shoes in my previous reply are brogues, because of the holes in the leather (small, seemingly tattooed dots around the edges). They are there for just for the aesthetic aspect.

Traditionally, broguing is associated with less formal shoes you use daily. And (if you follow set standards) black shoes should only be used for formal purposes, hence having a brogue black shoe doesn't make sense in your case (not as your first pair at least).

Shape wise, it's just my personal preference. I think that cheap and pointy dress shoes tend to look more fedora, but it all really comes down to ones taste. But imo, wider the tip, safer the bet. Something similar to the shoe on the right in black isn't hard to produce, therefore you can find similar shoes in lot of fast fashion stores for cheap.

Ooh so brogues are the detailing on the tip of the shoe. I want to stay away from those, I don't like the look at all. Reminds me of cowboys. Plain and minimalist is much easier to pull off and is more formal.

Thanks, I'll do another round at the shoe stores tomorrow, I'll see if I can find something similar.

Imo the zara shoes I posted have a really high heel. While I wouldn't mind the extra height it just looks awkward. I think I'll ditch them as an option.

wear them with medical strips/patches and try to extend them a little with water. Some claim pissing into them helps...

visit a specialized runners store, like those who measure up your feet for the correct run shoe. Their main focus may lie with sports, but they can definately advise you on how to treat the bruises and they might sill cuchion

What's Veeky Forums's opinion on square toed dress shoes shoes?
There seems to be some pretty vehement hate for them all over the Internet but I dunno, I think they can look pretty cool.

Sup OP

I would recommend thrifting to find higher quality shoes for cheap.
I copped these black, holey kinda ones for 50 bucks, theyre from a indonesian brand called solace and suposedly designed by a chiropractor or some shit.

Anyway yeah, look on second hand shops.