I'm heading to a surfer / beach town for the next four years. How can I pull of surfer core type shit in the heat...

I'm heading to a surfer / beach town for the next four years. How can I pull of surfer core type shit in the heat? Inspo and advice appriciated.

Dumping some of what I have.

you just don't care what you wear, buy stuff from thrift stores. stop trying so hard and leave fa forever

this
t. surfer town inhabitant

If you don't surf don't try.

Spoken like people who have never left their surf town

I grew up in CA, spent most of my adult life in NY, still visit CA occasionally

I dress like I'm "not trying very hard" by local standards in NY, but whenever I'm in CA everyone is like "why are you all dressed up". My clothes look out of place there, because I am not from that place.

I look at the stuff people wear and I don't even know where the fuck they get it. I asked someone and he pointed me to a store that I had never heard of, that had "not trying very hard" clothes. Well, if I had to try hard to find it, then it's hardly "not trying hard" now, is it?

So op could go to a chain store and pray, and probably still look like an outsider, or he could actually study the local style and ape it until it's natural.

Asking questions isn't wrong. Asking Veeky Forums probably is, though.

Look up T-shirts by a brand called Mollusk. They make some pretty cool stuff. And then get some shorts from Outlier. Basic shit but good quality and will be good if you hit the water or are being active around the beach town

dress in skater/surf cloths?

not that hard

most of friends that surf wear basic shit like rvca hurley volcom quicksilver and other smaller brands if they are flow/sponsored

idk where you are moving, but we wear vans

I live in OC

Same person here. I didn't think surf core was a desired style considering most people dress very similar to this in socal. Idk where you're from user but i wouldn't consider surf style Veeky Forums

Board culture shuns poseurs. Surfers especially will rage on folks that piss them off. Tread lightly, and if you don't surf/skate, fuck off and just wear some shorts.

This, this, this. If you don't actually surf you are just another hurley wearing socal kook

>board culture shuns poseurs
How can a bunch of anonymous angsty teenagers "shun" other anonymous angsty teenagers without some form of persistent identity?

you're trying hard as fuck. just goto salvation army and goodwill and pick up shit you like. stop getting your clothes from the internet

and stop trying to think like a "surfer" you kook, beach town is one thing but fuck off with that shit. the stuff you're posting is boat/prep btw. if that's what you like, you don't need to worry about being a poser, they all are

>most of friends that surf wear basic shit like rvca hurley volcom quicksilver and other smaller brands if they are flow/sponsored
basic bitches

Calm down, what is your problem? What makes you think I get my clothes from "the internet"? Are you confusing me for the op just because I had an opinion that disagreed with yours?

Sorry, I meant like surfboard, skateboard, snowboard.
Maybe boarder culture is more appropriate, I was worried there might be confusion after I posted.
r9k definitely shuns poseurs though...

That being said, fuck off kook.

>kook
Is this some kind of slang for something?

Also I find it really amusing how angry people are getting over the idea that someone would want to not stick out like a sore thumb when moving to a new place.

Surfer culture isn't something to be proud of, and if your identity is so fragile that someone wearing the same clothes as you makes you have a complete mental breakdown, maybe that identity isn't as "authentic" as you think.

how new are you? it's just banter, and also, this board is anonymous, "misidentifying" someone isn't a thing and it's definitely not worth pointing out. I might've quoted you but I was talking to OP

he's joking, sperg

Calm down, what is your problem? Not even that guy but you're acting like a real kook.

Veeky Forums should start using the term, "kook" btw.

I've been coming to Veeky Forums since 2006. I come to Veeky Forums once in a blue moon, it's interesting to catch up on what high school kids wear every so often, but I get tired of it after a day or so. Sorry for not understanding your memes

Also I wasn't joking about board culture.

kook is poser for skaters and I guess surfers too. It's not just any poser, dressing and acting a certain way so people confuse him as a skater, but also, the dork who shows up to hang with skaters, like he wants to be "in" without actually fucking skating

You've obviously never been part of any original scene (ie with its own evolving style, culture, etc.) if you can't see why everyone from punks to movie nerds is always offended by posers taking what they do and turning it into some hollow way to look cool and get basic bitches, in the process, misinterpreting it and distorting its image and style. they destroy the whole scene because newcomers come in thinking the posers are what's what and imitate the wrong shit, real life cancer

anyway OP a fucktard with a really shallow idea of the city he's moving to. there will be a twenty different styles and subculture, even surfers are stratified by class.

but based on the dork shit he's posting, he literally should just ask mom for a A&F gift card and he'd be fucking set, I'm not kidding.

lmao at this thread

just be yourself OP

best way to fit in is to just be yourself

i don't surf but i skate, but do have friends that surf competitively

theres surfers who wear basic stuff from their sponsors then surfers who just wear whatever they want I guess can be more inspired by DIY thrift/ skate style

It's alternative boarder slang for poseur or someone who's not "with it".

The authenticity is compromised by the mainstreaming of the culture through stores like Zumiez and Tilly's, and all the super rad commercialization of skateboarding and other extreme activities (think gopro).

Also, why isn't a culture you identify with worthy of being proud of? Rodeo people are proud to be rodeo, New Yorkers are proud to be New Yorkers, skaters are proud to be skaters, etc... Are you proud of being a shitposter? It's not my bag but if you're into it I'm not going to stop you from establishing an identity.

>skaters are proud to be skaters
you're a kook. skating isn't a lifestyle or subculture or sport or art or anti-sport or whatever bs. it's just playing on little wooden toys if you think it's anything more you're a kook

>like he wants to be "in" without actually fucking skating
It seems to me that you're drawing some really weird conclusions form op's post. He said he's going to a surfer town, not that he wants to pretend to be a surfer.

It's like saying I'm going to a farm town or a banker town or some such thing. Describing a general style of dress for the locals, not that he's going to try to pass himself off as an actual cowboy or whatever.
>You've obviously never been part of any original scene
How does anyone have the energy to be this angsty

I am part of various subcultures, but if someone wants to appropriate one of the signs of one of those subcultures I'm not going to have a conniption over it

I gather the issue here with sk8rboiz and surfer "kooks" and similar groups is that they take pride in being against THE MAN or whatever, so, I suppose, the idea that an outsider could put on the right clothes and pass for a countercultural rebel is shocking because like, what if it's a narc?

I hope I used the slang right, sorry if I got some of it wrong. A "narc" is what we used to describe an undercover police officer as.

OP literally requested "surfercore"

Yeah but is that even a word? From hanging out here briefly it seems like you just put the word "core" after random words to legitimize your inane attempts at trying to sound like fashion experts

Plenty of skaters go with the "Haha I'm riding a silly wooden toy" shtick but you can't deny that there is a culture built around skating that most skaters subscribe to (unless you're based autismo Rodney Mullen, praise be). Everyone I know that skates is proud to be a skater but will talk it down as a silly toy or whatever so they won't seem as autistic/immature in front of non-skaters.

You're pretty much on the right track, other than your (I assume intentional?) misuse of "kook".

Also, the only thing that really makes, skaters specifically, rebels is their insistence on skating things that aren't meant to be skated. Other than that the most counterculture rebellious thing boarders do is smoke weed and listen to punk rock, which obviously not all of them do and that shit's mainstream by now anyway. If someone went around wearing those glasses watchmakers wear with all the extra lenses, watchmakers would be all pissed off. "Dude doesn't even fix watches. Probably can't even switch to daylight savings lol fag" No one likes a poseur.

>If someone went around wearing those glasses watchmakers wear with all the extra lenses, watchmakers would be all pissed off
I kind of doubt that, actually. I think they'd probably find it funny.

The thing is we're not talking about a vocation here, we're talking about a phase that teenagers go through. It's easy to slip in and out of different identities as a young person, and kids do it all the time, that's probably why it's kind of taboo to be a "poseur" as you said.

Do you think skaters really lose their shit and start screaming about authenticity when they see someone wearing all Huf and Vans? I mostly find it funny and don't even mention it.
It is a phase for some kids, but I plan on skating til I can't. Skating has been pretty popular the last while but there have been times throughout skating's short history where it was not the cool thing to do and the trendy kids didn't do it. Younger folk probably freak out about poseurs more than older folks though.

>Do you think skaters really lose their shit and start screaming about authenticity when they see someone wearing all Huf and Vans?
I don't know, I haven't interacted with any since some time in the early 1990s

Judging by the talk in this thread, it seems like they'll do that and worse

when board and boarder cultures collide...
I mean no disrespect, but in general older folks I've talked to about skating do not have a very positive view about it and just don't get why adults are running around on toys like little kids. The only interaction I had with people in the early 90's involved being fed and getting my diapers changed. Most non-skaters that aren't just vehemently opposed to vandalizing curbs and handrails seem to understand that it's a fun thing to do whether or not they're into it.
I'm sure you're a hip guy (you are on the internet after all) but maybe it's a generational thing?

*most *younger* non skaters...

>doesn't know about watchmakercore
get on my level

agree with this. these faggots in surf towns try super super hard to look like they dont care. ive watched them in stores they spend like 30 minutes deciding between two pieces of shirts to decide which one wont stand out more. its sad

Definitely untrue, most skaters don't give a shit. If anything I'm more annoyed by normies wearing Thrasher stuff.

OP here. I'm not trying to be a poser, I just need shit I can wear to the beach. This thread is just me asking for inspo so I can both fit in and look decent.

This.

Dude, just get some board shorts, Hawaiian shirts, bro tanktops, flip flops and vans. You're fucking set. If you're going for surfer style, that's it and it's pretty basic, non/fa/.
If you want beach town style, same thing but less youngster/street inspired.
Just wear clothes meant for warm weather. Shop at a local shop when you get there if you're still confused.
Get a hoodie too, the coast gets chilly from night to morning. If you're south enough you can still wear your shorts if you have a hoodie.

this just buy some cloths from the local shops

you'll fit right in

holy shit not OP but mollusk's tee designs are dope
im in straya i could so get away with this in summer so lmaaao