Veeky Forums's thoughts on streetwear? is it the lowest common denominator of "fashion"...

Veeky Forums's thoughts on streetwear? is it the lowest common denominator of "fashion"? should it even be considered fashion? it looks shitty majority of the time. the hype surrounding most of the brands is cancer the people participating in streetwear are usually insufferable too.

Yeah it's really fucking shitty

Blind consumerism and crazy hype, you have to be really stupid to fall for it

Planned obsolescence on every piece means if it even lasts the season, it'll be out of fashion and embarrassing to wear by the next

It all depends on how, who and what they are wearing. Most it is is suburban white boys now. Streetwear as a whole offers more expression than brands like Jcrew or Bonobos.

The most expressive and unique outfits, are usually the best but you have to ask yourself what really qualifies as streetwear since the sidewalk is the new catwalk and Instagram is your personal paparazzi.

People who do straight streetwear/traditonal are the worst but streetwear mixed with personal style is the best

It is fashion, but in my opinion what is considered "streetwear" has little to do with fashion. Some people can pull it of really well, but you need the fashion lifestyle to accompany your fit or you will be considered a retard by everyone that has slight knowledge of fashion.

That being said, it can be good if you match items with non-streetwear pieces. Wearing outfits solely consisting of hyped streetwear pieces is never excusable.

Everyone dressed bad in this picture btw.

I've met both irl and, to be fair, the girl is pretty tall

I walked past a guy wearing a red supreme (?) hoodie and pink 'S' cap and his friend wearing a bape jacket this afternoon, a rare sight in my city. I averted my gaze so they wouldn't speak to me in their ape language

how tall do you think he is? He looks fucking tiny and I can't figure out whether it's the ridiculous overlayering that fucks up his proportions or he really is just tiny

>That being said, it can be good if you match items with non-streetwear pieces

a pair of meme shoes while keep everything else simple is what i see a lot but sometimes it's bland and uninteresting.

i agree with the lifestyle point, i think this is why a lot of them look so cringe in what they wear. suburbanites dressed like inner city kids.

maybe it's a good thing. they are basically marking themselves for us so we know not to acknowledge or interact with them.

idk he's probably like 5'7 or something. I was more focused on his girlfriend desu, sue me. Ill make sure to ask him if i see him again

post results

I've seen him too, he's maybe like 5'6-5'5. He's taller than me...
>tfw 5'4 asian manlet.

the little fucker is going to shit-talk you for being a hater on insta

What in your opinion is the highest denominator of fashion? I do understand what you mean with "lowest common denominator" though as the streetwear aesthetic regardless of whether it being good or not has permeated completely throughout society and I'm not talking just hyped brands here I'm more talking the exaggerated cuts & silhouettes that you see on tees being sold at fucking K-Mart nowadays.
Although I would like to note that those involved with streetwear appear to be moving more towards comfy & cozy outfits - i.e. palewave or whatever fucking buzzword people are using to describe just having a chill fit. Is that still classified as streetwear?

This is the entirety of my fucking city. Every fucking white kid in the upper middle class part of town dresses like they're a fucking gangster and it looks like shit. Every fucking stoner in the shit end of town dresses like this too but even worse cause they can't afford good clothes. I'm happy I'm moving into cottage country in a month. Fuck this city

What city?

Oshawa, Ontario. It's like 45 minutes from Toronto.

I don't know that feel, sorry m8

I figured as much, thanks for the (you) tho

Got me laid
> Worth it

you need to define streetwear and your meaning of fashion op. For me streetwear is what you wear to go about a day, or what you would wear to go to school. I don't know what you mean by lowest common denominator but I think streetwear has the most potential for projecting personality. It's not a uniform or dress code, it's what you enjoy and it should show that. That being said a lot of streetwear brands will shill out hype pieces for a quick buck. I think wearing brands for the hype of it is fucking dumb as it doesn't represent character more so just an image. but wearing hype pieces that you genuinely like isn't bad if you can fit them into your outfit. With that being said and my measure of fashion being creativity and expression, I think office wear is probably the lowest common denominator.

Mostly pathetic. Can't think of a western streetwar brand that has anything that looks good. Some have the occasional good tee designs but all the awful hype sneakers :'D All the awful fits that occasionally work on some like like Kanye being worn by weird obsessives.

you guys are fedoras desu, let them wear whatever they want

>Is that still classified as streetwear?
yes, alot of the shit on Veeky Forums that is labeled with core or wave is usually a derivative of streetwear garbage.

it attracts unintelligent trashy and low tier whores so have fun with your aids cuck.

Seconding this

IMO a big part of looking cool is being 'effortless'. Everyone in this picture seems to be trying their absolute hardest to look like a douchey tryhard. They look like they 'give a fuck'.' At least I think that explains the initial, negative reaction I get from looking at this picture

What is there to define? streetwear is very blatant,obnoxious and in your face. i thought i described it pretty well in op. just your typical shitty trends and hyped brands, the op pic is a great example.

> For me streetwear is what you wear to go about a day, or what you would wear to go to school
thats casual wear. streetwear is alot different and has many key elements
-popular meme sneaker
-skinny or distressed denim
-bomber jacket,parka,overcoat,denim jacket
-hyped streetwear brands

but having all these items together is what makes it the same regurgitated fit i see constantly

>I don't know what you mean by lowest common denominator

im mainly talking about how most people don't try to expand on their fits when attempting streetwear it's always the same uniform and monochrome/earth tone colors

He looks great in it due to being skiiny and short

The thing thats so shitty about streetwear is people get praised for their 'fashion sense' when really no ones put any thought into it. It's whack together as many brands as possible that you bought in the last year for way to much and this will earn you some some mad street/insta cred

like this cunt over here

Streetwear can help you have consensual sex with a girl.I am a hypebeast mega fuccboi and it's safe to say that most girls 13-20yo find me attractive.

I dress streetwear and i even attract SJW/tumblr tier girls

then theres preme thats hype no matter what they make

I honestly hate streetwear with a passion, but it's not inherently unfashionable or whatever. Just not the style I go for.

post fit

I'm embarrased to say that I've been super into Gosha lately I don't even know why..

I fucking hate those streetwear brands like Bape and Supreme.

I kinda love Gosha and Palace tho

the guy sitting on the stairs doesnt make me wanna kill myself but his shoes look like shit

Post fit, I always see you giving advice and want to know what your dress like

Asians are still Veeky Forums despite being manlets, and can pull off certain fits that would look bad or gay on whites.

>-bomber jacket,
They could be into a subculture that wears bombers.

Agreed with every word. I've been eyeing gosha pieces since ss14 and also got some Palace. But the hype culture is pretty disgusting

too bad it's usually worn exactly like the "fashion killer" starter pack.

>SJW/tumblr tier girls
implying those aren't the unintelligent trashy and low tier whores im talking about
kek

that is nothing to brag about. tumblr whores are bottom of the barrel.

>I honestly hate streetwear with a passion
good to know im not the only one. it's the mix of unoriginality plus the fact many of the people dressed in it have an undeserving arrogant vibe to them.

>tfw I wear Cav Empt and Undercover
I just like their aesthetics... Never bought because of hype, just like these brands and what they do.

i like gosha pants
is undercover really hype

Streetwear can be good, but most examples you see are don't make it look good either because its:
1. Hypebeast clothing
2. Basic starter pack outfits
3. Logos/Brand everywhere

People on here just talk shit while they're still double bumping their posts on Cop or Not threads, streetwear is fashion and it CAN look good but the audience it attracts and who wears it most, typically tend to present it poorly.

gosha is super overpriced desu