Why is androgyny so hard to pull off?

Why is androgyny so hard to pull off?

I am going in for an androgynous photo shoot soon, but I need some suggestions for outfits to wear for it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=llHhiiNnIjY
dropbox.com/sh/gvvvpfbn7xe0psf/AAB-i278PKlIzId6DY6NyYmra?dl=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't know what to suggest, but maybe we can post inspo?

because you have to look enough in between male or female to pull it off
basically look as neutral as possible
this may not be an easy-to-achieve look for you based on your own biology/characteristics

would you say the best way to find a style would be to wear womens clothing that fits you well? that is what I have done in the past and I am starting to find things that look decent. It is sort of a cross dressing thing, but not to the point of looking like a freak...

Can we see a photo of you to help you?

He might also mean androgynous fashion, though... cloths can also mix masculine and feminine traits.

I think cut has a lot to do with it. curves and draping are generally perceived as feminine while boxy angular shapes are seen as more masculine.

Mix some women's items with mens, for starters. Cross dressing isn't androgynous. Too many people don't know the difference between transgender and genderqueer/genderfuck, or androgyny and cross dressing.

Here's one of the very few modern androgynous for men runway looks that isn't a fucking mess.

Thats not androgynous thats just a man with makeup.

His outfit is androgynous. feminine jewelry and hairstyle. Maybe OP needs to decide which type of androgynous this thread is about, as it can be applied in more than one way.

are you going for an androgynous look or just a femenine guy?(pic related)

he looks like a sonic character

This is a basic casual look. I'm thin but I have somewhat broad shoulders, so women's tops are usually hard to pull off

what is that
that sweater is amazinggg

andro my ass it looks like hes gonna bust out some gun-kata

probly more feminine. like OP pic, I love the idea of being an obvious male, but being attractive as a guy and a girl

>masculine face, let your hair compliment your face shape
>broad shoulders and mannish arms, long women's dress shirts will be your best friend
>those pants are from 2006, go for skinny jeans that are skinny from top to bottom

Your hair is beautiful. Try drapey elements, I think. Is there any particular style you like? Any particular era? Any particular designer?

Emphasize your long legs and use your hair and makeup to convey a feminine side and distract from your jawline. Let the shoulders be the masculine element that shows through a bit, because they are sexy, and you aren't going for drag queen.

Right, go ahead and post your runway looks with shitty proportions and gaudy try hard contrasting feminine details that wouldn't look good on ether sex.

youtube.com/watch?v=llHhiiNnIjY

Because you have to physically be born that way, which is very rare.

Some dumpy woman with a bowtie and a short haircut is not androgynous no matter how much she wants to be and vice versa for men

pic rel best androgrill

That's called cross dressing fagot. God it's like words have no meaning anymore.

Yea I want some advice on how improve my appearance or bettee focusing on androgynous aspect of me

I can't tell whether you are male or female, so you already have a naturally androgynous look.

not really.
her face is androgynous regardless of what shes wearing

I can agree to that, but I'm sick of this trend of dressing an androgynous girl in masculine cloths and hair and calling it androgynous fashion. It's not. I'm sick of people telling people they can't do androgyny because they don't look like they're on hormone treatments. Christ.

The only androgynous people I see are the high end models that just mostly look funky, like . There are not a lot of casual androgynous styles that I have seen.

so is cross dressing ever considerably good? that is how I see

I'm not saying cross dressing is bad, I dig it, I'm just saying call it what it is and don't tell people they can't do androgynous styles because they don't pass as the opposite sex.

Personally I prefer 80's and some 90s Japanese stuff over more recent attempts at feminizing male fashion and women trying to look like 12 year old boys. I like androgynous stuff that suits the individual and is about mixing masculine and feminine looks and fucking with gender roles rather than what it's become today. I've always preferred the self expression side of fashion, though.

My old computer is dead so I'm having to look for examples as I go here. I kind of dig this one.

some bearded faggot in a dress?
he doesn't look androgynous at all

some inspo

so you want to look like a bitch with no balls basically?
>i dont even

if i saw you in public i would either think you're an ugly bitch or a twink

gross

edgelord has arrived. well guys, I guess this topic isnt cool enough for this place...

Yea it triggered him

Thabk you.

Fuck off idiot

Please don't wear makeup, or keep it natural at least. Andro boys look much cuter natural.

Dumpan

This might be useful.

Don't be a pussy and let a troll ruin the thread.

Those gloves... unf!

I get the love of natural androgyny, but sometimes I just really want some glam.

Not sure if they're gloves, or maybe they dipped their hand in black paint or something... Liquid latex? But uh, some glam... I could post some of that, maybe? Wasn't sure if it would be considered crossdressing.

This one is probably crossdressing, but I personally think it's quite andro.

Eh, I mean... andro as say, drag is? Shruggu.

What about this stuff? I have a few pics like this.

I have two or three more from this set, but I think I'll leave it at this.

I don't know how this makes me feel. lol

Nah, it's just when a person is dressed as a woman and clearly trying to pass as a woman that there's nothing androgynous about it. Same with a girl who looks and dresses completely like a young man. Androgyny is just about mixing masculine and feminine traits, and there are a lot of ways to do that.

Post what you like, I'm not OP, and I don't want to ask anything of you because I don't have much to contribute on this computer yet. But thank you for offering.

I can post my Dropbox folder for you, if nothing else?! I have a few folders, actually. Fashion and otherwise (cars, motorcycles, desktops, etc).

Also, fwiw, I'm an MtF transgirl. I'd like to say I'm naturally a bit andro, though slightly more on the masculine side, unfortunately. I don't have any fashionable pics of me, though, but I can post a recent one if wanted.

Erika Linder

gf is kinda andro.
making love is... weird sometimes.

You really need the genetics, particularly in the face but also in your general figure, to pull off androgyny successfully. For guys it isn't enough to just wear loose fitting clothes in more feminine styles and for girls dressing in male styles with less or no makeup probably still won't work (although it's generally easier for slim girls).

This guy manages it pretty well because of his facial structure: large lips and more fem eyes, along with a jawline that isn't too masc. His nose it a bit large but not overly so. The longer hair which obscures his (potentially masculine) brow-line and clear skin with no obvious beard shadow complete the look but are also necessary. In short, it's a lot of work to pull off and most people don't have a chance due to genetics - you'll just look weird if you try androgyny without these details.

A good example is this guy - he has interesting facial features which make him a good male model, but fails at actual androgyny because of his facial structure (although the haircut obviously doesn't help).

You seem to have overall feminine features, although it's hard to tell for sure with the poor photo quality and phone placement. In the first instance I'd suggest going for a shorter hair cut with those curls, but this might not be masculine enough with your full, round cheeks. One solution might be to lose weight for a more emaciated look, but contouring makeup is probably a better choice - or even a combination of the two since I doubt your face would change that much unless you legitimately starved yourself...

Pretty.

Okay, I guess I'll stop with this one. The rest of my pics are more... crossdressing type stuff?

Dropbox link, though.
dropbox.com/sh/gvvvpfbn7xe0psf/AAB-i278PKlIzId6DY6NyYmra?dl=0

Never let anyone tell you you have to be ultra feminine to be a woman. I have to say the biggest dead giveaways when trans women are trying to pass is that they go overboard and become these caricatures of femininity. And then they're not being themselves and are trying to obtain an unrealistic standard that makes it all the more damaging when people call them on not being born women. It should be ok that you're androgynous. How boring would the world be if there were only to types of people in it? There's all sorts of women, and you're a woman on the inside and I for one would respect that.

And thanks for the offer, user. I'm on my bf's laptop he doesn't use much because my computer died, so I don't really want to do any massive downloads. But I really appreciate your kindness.

...woops

I disagree, but I like gender-queer shit and think people should be free to express themselves.

Ayy. Thank you for the kind words, user.You're absolutely right about some transwomen going a bit overboard and.. ultimately turning themselves into a strange hyper-feminized doll-like construct of a person. When really all they need to do is turn the dial back a few notches and just do... "enough." I mean... doing what fits their body figure and such. Just relax, be confident. Fake it 'til you make it!

Easier said than done, I know. I still have my own insecurities... But, you gotta deal with those day by day and take your time.

Yeah, definitely more complete cross dressing than androgynous. Looks great though!

Tbh I wish this were the case but I can't see it becoming socially acceptable for the vast majority of people any time soon.

tfw I could probably do this one quite easily (since I have pretty much the same face) but am too scared to...

Do your best! Do your best! Do your best!

Your secrets are safe with us, user.

You seem really grounded user, and I'm happy for you. I hope all goes well.

Me, I'm a woman with a masculine personality, and not trans, but have been mistaken for a guy dressed as a woman before because I guess I don't act like a woman sometimes. It was really weird because I was at an anime convention and people complimented me, but thought I was a guy in drag. lol It made me insecure at first because I felt like I'm not a guy, but I wasn't good at being a girl, but I like to dress up so I wasn't really butch, so what the fuck? I don't think I'd be with my boyfriend if not for my masculine side, though, so it works out in the end.

I agree, but I also think that's changing at least in urban settings and in events like festivals and conventions. I hope gender-specials and sjws don't set it back by giving us a bad reputation.

I'm in my mid-thirties. What is and is not acceptable in public, at work, etc. has changed dramatically since I was a young man. I'm going to be presumptuous and assume you're in your early twenties? I have found that the world changes, usually in the right direction, a lot sooner than expected. So keep hopeful

Thanks lol. And thanks for the inspo-dump too - I'll be saving the ones I like.

In all honesty, I'm probably overstating the degree to which people actually care - most everyone immediately forgets everyone they walk past in the street, even if that person stands out a lot. It's hard not to be self-conscious though, especially with gender stuff.

Anime cons, huh? Well, at least I'd hope that would be a good environment for people to have a reaction like that. I mean, cons are usually pretty supportive places, no?

Fwiw, I've never been to one... Maybe I'll have to check out Ohaiyocon next year, as I have some friends that usually go to it.

Anyway, sounds good, though I think I can imagine how confusing and upsetting that might've been at first. But at least you've turned it into a positive for yourself. It's certainly fun to blur those boundaries and explore a wider array of fashion options.

How insightful! 22 to be exact.

You have a point though, I suppose, and work/social environments are definitely the most troublesome in this regard, so hopefully things will change for the better in said areas.

Oh, yeah, definitely dude. One thing my friends keep telling me and that i keep telling myself is that just as you're so worried and inwardly focused on your appearance and how you're perceived by the outside world, so is everyone else just as worried about themselves. So ultimately, nobody really gives a shit. They aren't really paying attention and it doesn't matter to them. ...Though in a smaller suburban or rural town, this might be a little different. But usually, people have their own shit to take care of, so they aren't going to stop and gawk.

It was scary as fucking shit going out in girlmode in public for the first time for me. That was my first day to university back in August. And then, being acknowledged by a female name for the first time the same day... And everything was fine! The world didn't stop turning. Life went on.

You can do it, user. It's your life. Take it by the reigns. No one else will do it for you.

Ill post a better pic 4 you

Thanks for the advice. Im kinda fat also ahahah my mom looks like a doll so i kinda got lucky i guess. Hope u can give more advice tho

Yeah, conventions can be pretty fun, and a lot of them nowadays have more than just anime. By that point I was really confused but not really upset.

It bothered me more years earlier when I was an outcast in high school. It's really weird being in my early 30's and having high school kids-22 year olds of today be cool with me where as when I was in high school most treated me like a freak. Things definitely change faster than people realize, though confidence and improving social skills are also a factor in my case. I was paranoid and awkward back then, but bullying has that effect.

Things get better, I can never stress that enough when I see young anons on here talking about being lonely and miserable. It's all a matter of self improvement.

Really happy for you user! I can only imagine how scary that would feel the first time around right beforehand.

Just be careful about some rural places, or urban places that have a history of bashing going on. Most people don't give a shit, but there will always be some crazy bigots and in America at least there's a lot of political grandstanding right now that might egg those types on. I don't want you guys to be scared, but be safe.

You don't look fat user. You really do have a doll face.

Well im nearly 70kg and im 5'7(or 1,70 cm) so I think i am..idk thanks for the compliment by the way

Is that you in the pic? If so I find you very attractive.

Don't fixate on weight, user, because it is not an accurate measurement of health and appearance.

Yarr, it is. Thankyou. :<

I really ought to practice with makeup more. I think it'd really help... Amazing what some eyeliner can do for you.

True, but you pass as female to me without it. I've seen plenty of women with similar structure to you.

does anyone have pictures of a guy who is just a casual cross dresser, who looks fine in womens fashion, but doesnt take it as far as to call himself transgender?

So I'm sliiiightly curious what you meant about your 'masculine side' leading you to meet your BF? Do you mean masculine like, mutual hobbies? Fishing, hunting, autocross, something? Or do you mean dominant in a BDSM sense? Either way sounds hella cool to me.

Idunno. A lot of male 'model' types that dress in women's clothing inevitably seem to come out as trans eventually. Not all, but quite a few. But uhm, is this what you mean?

This guy also falls under your category. (Though I wouldn't be surprised if they do turn out to be trans)

yea basically I just use the term 'androgynous' as a less creepy way of saying cross dresser. I actually just want to be a trap all the time.