Who else here /alt-history/?

Who else here /alt-history/?

Other urls found in this thread:

althistoria.proboards.com/,
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

80% of alt-history scenarios go like "Hurr what if my favorite country suddenly got super powers and fucked everybody in the ass"

Not true, they are just what if "Germany won the WWs".

How could this have happend?

Just make the >H>R>E win the Kettle War and there you have it.

>half the files you try to upload are too large

Why is one of the states called Wyoming?
Wyoming is named after some local tribe in that area

>Wyoming is named after some local tribe in that area

>The region had acquired the name Wyoming by 1865, when Representative James Mitchell Ashley of Ohio introduced a bill to Congress to provide a "temporary government for the territory of Wyoming". The territory was named after the Wyoming Valley in Pennsylvania, made famous by the 1809 poem Gertrude of Wyoming by Thomas Campbell, based on the Battle of Wyoming in the American Revolutionary War. The name ultimately derives from the Munsee word xwé:wamənk, meaning "at the big river flat."[12][13]

Looks like that area is around where the Munsee lived.

>giant Prussia blob
Always with this bullshit. In every alt history map this happens. Do these people not realize that western Slavs and g*rmans don't get along? Or is this just American germanboos being retarded?

is there a specific program used to make these maps? I'd love to take a shot at making some alt Veeky Forums stuff, but I have no idea how to get started.

Make way for the best alt-history game mod.

>American germanboos being retarded?

Isn't it always?

>Assyria still under arab occupation

I'm secretely a fan of Bruce Munro's shit and it makes me wish to known more about Africa and India to match his map. I always get the creeping suspicion that the boundaries of the African microstates that he often draws are just made up because he doesn't want space-filling empires there.

Me.
Out of curiosity, is there any way Japan could've become Islamic instead of Shinto/Buddhist? I've seen some timelines where Japan became Christian but never Islamic. It's a stretch but maybe not ASB-tier, plus it could just be the Ainu or something.

How would that alter the global climate, especially Arabia and the middle east?

>Italy draining the Mediterranean

What if the Finnish Empire managed to complete Operation Tavallinen and stop the Hwan Empire from firing the Giza Mass Autism Array?

I don't think there was ever much direct contact between the middle east and Japan. The timelines where Japan is christian is due to portuguese and spanish influence during the age of colonization.

To make Japan muslim you would need some crazy over the top shit like a muslim chinese or south east asian (they both exist) conquering the place and somehow making the state religion.

The draining of the mediterranean never stops looking dumb

Sometimes it works though, depending on the author.

Yeah, either that or some crazy person goes to some part of Japan, sees all the un-islamic barbarians and takes it upon himself to convert them. Add in a few lucky coincidences and it could happen within a couple generations, even altering the writing system.
A muslim China/ east asian caliphate would be interesting too, maybe resulting in an Islamic Korea as well? Or it could cause Japan to become a fragmented mess of some Muslim, some Shinto/Buddhist provinces, and some christian areas to the south preventing it from ever truly uniting.

Are there any hyper-religious maps, where nation-states are subsumed into ethnic and spiritual collectives?

what the fuck happened here?

How does this make you feel?

But the man in question should be a very extraordinary man. Islam never had anything similar to the Society of Jesus who were master proselytizers. Islam expanded either by sword or by trade.

Yeah but if anything can produce eccentrics religious fervor does it best.. Could be a group of people too,establishing trade routes Via the silk road but with people traveling to Japan itself as traders? Hell if parts of Russia/Korea went Muslim then they could travel to Hokkaido.

Routes don't exist just because. The silk road is older than history.

To go from any potential muslim country to Japan, you need to go through China, the main source of culture for the japanese historically. In fact I mantain than any muslim influence into Japan should come from China and maybe Korea like Budhism did.

There's muslims in china, so we just need to explain why (not how, since that's easy) islam should spread to Korea/Japan and become the majority religion. Remember islam doesn't have the power of syncretism of budhism, not even on it's less orthodox forms like sufism.

Yeah shoulda clarified that. For a wholly Islamic Japan it would need to come from China specifically. Would it be possible for most of China to convert to Islam, then Japan, but not Korea?
What if it goes further back so that the borders of Mongolia are shifted further to the east, so Muslim steppe people have a greater chance of influencing Korea/Japan as well as China? sorry, my info on this region isn't the clearest.

I seriously doubt that it's possible for the majority of China to become muslim or any abrahamic religion. It didn't even work with the kind of budhismthat best fitted them. It just goes against the concept of imperial china to have something ideologically stronger than the chinese sentiment itself.

That said, a major muslim influence is by no means impossible although I don't feel imaginative now on how I would justify it. Maybe you could have more chinese merchants adopting islam like in east africa, but I don't really know to be honest. Maybe if the merchant elites of Korea and Japan started to adopt islam you could have something to work around.

I should also mention that the divinity of the emperor is even more of a red flag in islam than in christianity. That's gonna cause serious problems.

Yeah I suspect that to get China itself to accept Islam you'd have to fragment it a lot more, altering its history further back than the start of Islam. Chinese merchants or Mongolians would be a likelier bet.

Intrigued by the filename desu

>Balkan
>Alliance
No

>confederates
>ever winning against based industrial north
stay salty

Your other bet is the following: Kublai Khan (or a substitute for your reality) adopts islam > Khan is succesful in conquering Japan > after the dissolution of the empire a local mongol muslim dynasty rules Japan > somehow the whole thing manages to survive and flourish.

But my knowledge in mongol historyis not enough to grant you help for the details. Also the result would probably be something completely different to modern Japan (even more than if it's through chinese trade), don't expect muslim samurais or something if you choose this path.

Thanks user. It really is a fascinating subject, this is the reason I got into alt-history to begin with.

I also thing that what makes alt-history good is the immense amount of details and small things you can learn when you ask yourself "what if...".

Sometimes I end up not even building the parallel world, and just get lost into a sea of information, but it's worth it.

Alt history right here: Charles the Bold never dies, so the Duchy of Burgundy isn't so easily crushed and there remains an influential buffer between Germany and France as well as the Habsburgs never gaining as strong a footing over Europe as they did.

>Foundation: 1917
>not 1958

We were so close to something beautiful.

How badly was it fucked up?

Yeah alternate history clusterfucks are fun. I hate when it's just blobs of countries with no explanation.

heres a map of my very very work in progress alt-his project, map is only accurate for europe

Got a link to anything explaining it?
Also, while I've seen pictures of green Sahara in this thread, what about green Australia? I've heard with intense forestation/sea level rise it would actually become greener most of the way through, even quicker than Africa.

the average arab level of fucked up

the year 1867

>entire coast of SA one country
wat

Fresh OC

care to explain?

Pretty straightforward, a what-if about the Rovman Empire conquering the world. Plenty of blobbers just paintbucket the world and call it a day, but no one ever shows the internal boundaries and administration.

If Lincoln died or something they could've just said fuck it to the war after a while and let them be.
Of course the south would quickly turn into a Colombia-tier shithole and the resulting riots would tear it apart and eventually the whole US.

Arabia and the Levant becomes partially grassland.

Iran is too far away to be really affected by this unfortunately.

Oh, and the Amazon shrinks as less Saharan dust comes across to feed it.

Typical Syrian bullshit killed Panarabism and set the Middle East up for forty years of civil war and sectarian conflict.

>Bruce Munro
You don't have to be a fan of his in secrecy. I feel you.

Wow, someone put a lot of work into this one.
As said, an explanation would be great.

It was part of a game on the alternate history forum to make the most convoluted, messiest map possible

what kind of challenge is that? just post the
>
>
>

Ah, one of those. The mapgames are always fun.
I lurk on the forums every once in a while (looking for nice maps, looking for inspiration,...) but I never followed the map games.

Anyway, there's been a bit of falling out between the forumgoers and a group around Krall seems to have gone to a totally new forum; the link is althistoria.proboards.com/, if you (or anyone else) is interested.

Post some patrish alternate history
No time travel or aliens allowed.

Bumping with another map.

It may be set in a completely different period, but the map you posted reminded me of this one.

>Drained
>Mediterranean
>Farmland

stop

>islam doesn't have the power of syncretism
It did in Indonesia

The Man in the High Castle is a pretty shit example of an alternate history, but some good things came out of it. Like this map.

I don't get it either, I know silt is good for growing, but would'nt all of it be really salty?

Yes, it would.

this one would make me so happy desu

turks are terrible people

>Constantinople and Orthodox lands under control of the pope

>Constantinople and Orthodox lands under control of the pope

Can someone post a few templates? I'm particularly interested in Europe. Ones that you can just fill in the separate regions.

Constantinople should be an independent country 2bh.

You guys, I just got this crazy idea. What if the Holy Roman Empire actually holy, Roman, and an empire? What would have happened then?

The Latin Empire will rise again!

We should have one of those.
Was there a winner?

>Krall
Who's that?

He posted on the original forum a lot, made maps and led the Maps of the Fortnight competition. He was also the author of probably the best post on the forum ever, where he ranted about some newfag's shit map (it included channels(!) over the Atlantic Ocean(!!!), for God's sake). Krall founded the new forum, AltHistoria, after an argument with Ian, the owner of the Alternate History Forum, if I understand correctly.

Sort of related

It burns!

someone should post a template with all the stuff

Delaware looks like a fucking insect