It's an atheists bring physics into a metaphysical discussion thread

>it's an atheists bring physics into a metaphysical discussion thread

That animal looks funny.

/thread

God has a sense of humor

i like how its nose tapirs off to form a little trunk.

Good numbers OP and good tapir

To the extent a metaphysical model is based on observations (like Aristotle) its perfectly fine to highlight where modern physics diverge from his understanding of nature.

>Oh yeah? If I can't at this sport, I'll make up my own! It will be called "I always win", and it has one rule, which is that I always win!
>Yeah, that's right, you probably feel a little silly now, don't you? Want another round? Oh wait, you lost, again!

Would society, if Christian theism is basically confirmed, still function?

It would improve hundredfold.

>non empirical argument
disregarded

>nature
>supernatural

are you denying that Aristotle's metaphysics are not influenced by observations of nature?

It would be impossible to tell whether a person was acting virtuously in earnest or out of self interest. Society would be a lot safer but ultimately everybody would be functioning on the thought of "I don't want to go to fucking hell"

But why would people go to work, why would there be technological progress or any sort of economy or anything more complex than the closest social circles if people can just raise kids, pray etc and die of starvation and disease after which they'd go to heaven?

>But why would people go to work, why would there be technological progress or any sort of economy or anything more complex than the closest social circles if people can just raise kids, pray etc and die of starvation and disease after which they'd go to heaven?
To improve themselves and there social standing? To advance life so that we can live longer and better?

Because it's in our nature to explore.

>being a christian means you need to starve and get diseases

?

So you can say that in order for humans to genuinely better themselves and their nature, the existence of God must stay uncertain for the majority of the population?

It's just that you can expect complex society to collapse since there would be no point for healthcare etc since people who follow God would go to heaven anyway
unless you HAVE to take care of others to be allowed to go to heaven

I don't think you understand what Christianity entails.

Read the Bible.

>It's just that you can expect complex society to collapse since there would be no point for healthcare etc since people who follow God would go to heaven anyway
That's foolish.

Where should I start oh enlightened one
Why? Just have faith and live according to the bible right?

Forgot pic

Metaphysics are allowed to fill in the gaps, but if they contradict observable and testable physics, they should be disregarded.

>Where should I start oh enlightened one
Genesis all the way to Revelation.

And I'm not enlightened, I'm a sinful man just like you are.

>To improve themselves and there social standing? To advance life so that we can live longer and better?

Literally zero point in either of those things if the Christian afterlife exists.

kek

>Just have faith and live according to the bible right?
Sure, as guidelines. If you treat it like the Quran you start to act like a retard.
Bullshit there isn't, would you rather be covered in shit or modest and not cover in shit?

>Bullshit there isn't, would you rather be covered in shit or modest and not cover in shit?

Any finite difference in my finite life would be meaningless. Literally nothing would matter that didn't affect my chances of making it to heaven.

I'd abstain from doing anything that might be sinful and I'd fully dedicate my life to God and saving my soul rather than to others
I'd live in the soberest, meagerest way possible and I wouldn't worry about my health since if I die I could go to heaven

>Any finite difference in my finite life would be meaningless
Then why not make that finite the best finite for yourself and others?
>I'd abstain from doing anything that might be sinful and I'd fully dedicate my life to God and saving my soul rather than to others
Are you a priest?

>Are you a priest?
No I just imagine that this would be what I'd do, also I'll answer the other question
>Then why not make that finite the best finite for yourself and others?
that would put my soul at risk more than I am comfortable with

The Japanese belive they eat dreams.

> that would put my soul at risk more than I am comfortable with
No it wouldn't, you're putting yourself for the betterment of God and for the people here on Earth.

it is influenced by observations, but it starts from those things that are self evident, like causality, etc. That's why metaphysics is called first philosophy

But if doing what I do already is sufficient to get into heaven why do more?

>Where should I start oh enlightened one
Not him but since you brought up health care, start with Sirach 38. Literally calls modern medicine a gift from God we need to use and that doctors should be honored for their craft as such.

>It's a Christfag special pleading thread

>Then why not make that finite the best finite for yourself and others?

Because it has zero value and it would be time not spent in prayer, etc.

Metaphysics? Oh wait, I know what you're looking for

>its a christfag brings up metaphysics thread
What next, are you gonna start talking alchemy? Astrology? Lol.

To get extra brownie points and feel better about yourself (not pride, dammit, but humble knowledge that you help better the world).
>Because it has zero value and it would be time not spent in prayer, etc.
Proof?

Falseflags

>Proof?

Proof of what?

That you could do other things instead of praying?

>first part
Well I think that'd be superfluous and perhaps dangerous

Aristotle supports several of his points through observations of the natural world, many of his observations would be considered mistaken today.

If follows then that the ideas inspired by those observations are now open to questioning on a naturalistic basis

>wanting to be a peasant that reaps the rewards of the thinkers who want to better this finite life on Earth

>That you could do other things instead of praying?

I don't understand what you mean. Of course I could.

I would desire no more if my way of life allows me to be at the side of the Lord in the next life

So why not do something else instead of praying and pray later?

>being the peasant that wants to do nothing

>Risking your eternal soul
>caring about this inferior life

>not caring for your inferior life and trying to make the best of your finite life so that others after you can have a longer, a more fulfilling life than you

>it's a theist brings atheist arguments up in his new thread that were made in his last thread, thread

Say that to my face. To MY FACE NIGGA

Any activity that doesn't improve your chances of going to heaven as efficiently as possible is infinitely bad.

Because it would decrease the guy's chances of getting into heaven.

You should start by not being an asshole.

Have fun in purgatory

>wanting to die
Jesus wouldn't want that user.
At least I still get to go Heaven.

If you could get a trillion dollars every day for the rest of your life if you follow a guys rules and make a good impression under 24-7 watch by the guy for a relatively limited time (lets say a month), but otherwise get tortured for the rest of your life, tell me you would waste your time doing something else in the test period

Well what is this guys rules then, because by good impression I could in theory do something that could better mankind.

If I recall this correctly you'd suffer much longer and harder in purgatory for committing a marginally larger amount of sin than I would, only suffering through my relatively miserable life

>I could in theory do something that could better mankind.
...which is irrelevant, because every person who will ever live will live a mortal life for a infinitely small amount of time compared to what comes after. Any benefit you add to mortal life would be worthless, because any secular gains you progapate are not in effect in the infinite-duration destination you go to after death. You would be chaning like a split second's happiness value, and the rest of the person's existance is unaffected by you since it is after death

There is no purgatory; it's just another lie in a long list of papist lies.

That's the catch.

The rules are impossible for humans to follow; they're God's rules. Only God can follow them.

There is no purgatory.

>If I recall this correctly you'd suffer much longer and harder in purgatory for committing a marginally larger amount of sin than I would, only suffering through my relatively miserable life
Then I'll take the risk.
>Any benefit you add to mortal life would be worthless, because any secular gains you progapate are not in effect in the infinite-duration destination you go to after death.
So children don't matter? How can a population increase if you don't improve life for them or teach them how to improve? How can God's word spread to every man if no one is bold enough to do so?
Nobody asked for your opinion.

>it's a theists picking and choosing what they mean by "literally" thread

>So children don't matter? How can a population increase if you don't improve life for them or teach them how to improve?
Who gives a shit about the children's and general population's mortal welfare compared to their spiritual welfare, since it is the latter that dictates how well off you will be in most of your existence (i.e. infinity minus the infinity small amount of time spent in mortal life).

>How can God's word spread to every man if no one is bold enough to do so?
This is a different matter than what you are talking about. You are arguing for doing everything BUT this.

>Who gives a shit about the children's and general population's mortal welfare compared to their spiritual welfare, since it is the latter that dictates how well off you will be in most of your existence
Because I'm trying to plan long(short in the ideal of God) term for humanity to survive so that new souls and more people can enter heaven. You know how you do that? You make life better by improving it.
>This is a different matter than what you are talking about. You are arguing for doing everything BUT this.
So spreading God's word by the sword is wrong?

>metaphysics

>Its another "theists get angry when belief is analyzed under the philosophy of empiricism" episode.