Inspiration

I want you to tell me what inspires you.

But I don't want just the standard no-brains "dump pictures until the thread dies" deal. Tell me about an experience, an ideal, an event, a piece of art that you take inspiration from. What about it inspires you? Why? What elements of it do you incorporate in your dress and lifestyle?

Please try to avoid posting simple pictures of outfits as much as possible. This is an artistic exercise.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V5Mli5mEbx4
youtube.com/watch?v=z9lHqFpO7CQ
www39.zippyshare.com/v/tAWSEJxF/file.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

For example, one of the things that inspires me is nature. I've lived in the forest for my entire life, and I feel very at home in it. What I find most interesting is how we find beauty in living things like flowers and colorful birds when their appearance is simply the most efficient way for them to exist and reproduce- the original case of form derived from function.
Taking from this, my ideal style is that of someone who appears at home in nature but equally able to go into the city. I've gained a great appreciation for natural fabrics and loose clothing that's comfortable, functional, and easy to move in.

Sometime in high school I decided that every garment must 'click' with another garment based on their color. It's a basic idea. It's very matchy-matchy, but I like that. With a simple thing I create coherence in an outfit.

why'd you delete your post senpai

fuck I love Stardust the super wizard
pretty sure he inspired me in some way or something

Because I posted the wrong picture. Pic related are two items I own. I base my outfit on them.

neat
is the left just a poster?

A postcard

I really like the music of C81 and C86. I like the thought of top lads actually risking looking like fags by writing tunes about girls. One time /mu/ had a thread about people guessing aspects of your personality in regards to your favorite artist, and somebody said I smoked thin cigarettes and drank cheap lager because I like Elvis Costello and the Attractions. That's Romantic to me I suppose. There's something about hooliganism.
I saw the movie Sing Street and the aesthetic made me have convulsions desu

got any fits to post? very interested

Seconding this

good thread bumping so i can post in later

I really dig the whole school shooter aesthetic, and I admire kids who actually decide to pick up a gun and shoot down everyone they don't like instead of giving up and forcing themselves to tolerate the world. It's not really about people deserving to be shot for one reason or another (invoking justice really cheapens the act) it's about standing up for yourself by refusing everyone else, regardless of whether they actually wronged you or not.
So it's not so much because I have revenge fantasies, but because there's a kind of romantic purity to the act itself, something to live up to, or at least something to advertise as noble and beautiful.
Cause the rest sure isn't.

Stardust is cool.
It's the comic book equivalent of Francis E. Dec.
Schizophrenic paranoids make really intense art.

>it's about standing up for yourself by refusing everyone else, regardless of whether they actually wronged you or not.
Pretty interesting, I've never really thought of it like that. How would you say this influences your lifestyle? Do you try to dress "dark and edgy" or are you just generally more confident in anything?

MO DS M ODS MODS

So one thing I learned about myself is that I was always looked like a Mexican. And that's not the message i'm trying to send. So I always try to dressy preppy as shit.

I have not noticed till just now, but actually I take lots of inspiration from typography for some reason.
Probably because I do web dev and web design as a hobby.

These threads have come up in the past but I didn't post in them because I didn't really know what inspired me.
A better way to put it is: I didn't know why I had the taste I had, if that makes sense.

Anyways, some stuff I have is sputnik cap, a bit cav empt, mki coach jacket, which are inspired by typography.
Tbh the typography on most of my clothing is pretty shit, not that creative desu.
Anti social social club could have been something for me, but they fucked up hard. Shit is worse than all hypebeast fashion.
Also, I feel like they should add just a very little more amount of that curviness to their logo. Not that it will save the brand lol.

Do you think your interest in typography influences the shapes of clothing you wear, or is it relegated to prints? I think it'd be very cool to match a certain shape of pants with the type on a printed jacket

If you want the real answer:

I live my life by setting up targets and being stubborn until I hit them. The trick is to be slightly but not extremely unreasonable about the goals and to place them in reasonable sequence such that they're actually achievable. "Inspiration" doesn't really come into play because I feel like that's ephemeral, the kind of masturbatory thing that leads people to dumb TED talks and self-loving threads on Veeky Forums. I know what end goal I want, and I grind away at the process until I get there, actual talent be damned. Grinding is not fun and does not come with cute little inspirational messages, it's fucking ECA stacking so you can stay up until 4 AM studying for a personal trainer exam because you want it despite never intending to use it.

In terms of clothing? It's always been a desire to look good combined with a desire to be somewhat professional. That means I have zero desire to be avant garde in style, I just want to do what I do well. That's why I like designers like Tom Ford - he takes basic suiting and does it so fucking well that it's impressive in execution. It's also why people (rightly so) criticize me for being too "/mfa/" or "dadcore" or whatever - I'm always going to recommend outfits that are pretty goddamn obvious, albeit maybe tailored better. I wouldn't be caught dead in streetwear because it doesn't serve the ends I have or the crowd I associate with - it isn't an upwardly mobile form of dress.

I dress dark and edgy yeah, makes me feel more comfortable with myself but also more motivated to not let people fuck me over.
It also motivates me on some of my short-time pursuits like getting a driving license so I at least have the possibility to be the one behind the wheel when I die in a car crash.

lol this whole thread is samefag

>13 IPs
user, I...

I'm into alot of different things and among these areas my focus shifts back and forth pretty often, but some elements have lasting power and lately I've been able to identify, explore, play with them.

I'm into the idea of characters, like cartoons / caricatures. I like the idea of taking an archetype and jacking it up so that it's familiar and surprising at the same time. I like the variety of different roles, when I was a kid I made my own origami toys and gave them all their own weapons, personalities, etc. I like the idea of a band of weirdos, something offbeat about all of them.

Larger than life, but not costume. Treading the thin line between the everyday and the extraordinary.

What inspires me: (by user)

confident people
happy confident people
smart and happy confident people

Which is why I'm into rock stars, because they're larger than life. They have a look, an attitude, something that transcends the ordinary.

I grew up in a very conservative / religious household and was pretty much a huge pussy all my life, hated ideals of masculinity, but in recent years some things happened that made me reject it completely, jumping to the other extreme. Nowadays I've realized that fucking everything in life seems to be about balance, and my projection of an ideal man is someone who can masterfully tread this fine line between the masculine / feminine, can play with / amplify / express an undercurrent of both. And alot of rock stars have this.

When I went to my first concert, shortly after realizing that such subcultures existed, my mind was blown. For a few hours, the band could send you to another world and back. It was an amazing release of so much energy and emotion. For me there's nothing like a good show.

Doesn't influence what the shape is that much, it's mostly about the print or embroidery.

I like your work ethic.

Especially psych rock / artists around the 60s and 70s, they were really extravagant. Also around the time I began to find out about things like this I tried psychedelics for the first time which also brought me out of the mindframe that everything had to make absolute sense (because I would be extremely anxious if I could not make sense of, or was unsure about something). I also discovered meditation afterwards, realizing that there is just a fuckton going on at all times that I may not fully understand, and instead of rushing to find answers I was able to appreciate the beauty of the present moment and the charm of being in that state of not knowing.

The friends who I hung around at this time (and who introduced me to things like music / psychedelics) had an easy going attitude about them, something I could never understand because I was anxious all the time. But over time they influenced me and I went thrift / vintage shopping with them, became more spontaneous, etc. I've bought a shitton of designer clothes in my life but most of my favourite pieces are all thrift / vintage.

Which is why I'm into children's books and things of nonsensical nature. Used to read alot of picture books as a kid (which also ties into my liking for archetypes / characters / storytelling) and the illustrations always take me back to a time when I was carefree and fascinated by everything. They're super comfy. This also ties into the whole masculine / feminine polarity thing, I think the characteristic of being "childlike" (curious, adventurous, vulnerable) can be related to feminine nature, so I guess that dynamic could also be interpreted as adultlike / childlike. A grounded man who is also able to embrace his vulnerability.

This pic of newsboys is a good representation of all that

And I also like this photo from the early 1900s (?) of a father with his sons

What inspires me is youth culture constantly change. Seeing each and every unique trend of each decade and observing what is carried on into the future, what is left behind, and what will return as a trend. I am inspired by finding these trends and themes in various art forms like music, movies, books and especially fashion.

why are they so bald

Because it also reminds me of tweedledee and tweedledum from Alice in Wonderland, again, relating back to ideas of character / caricature and nonsensical literature / themes in children's books.

Because alot of the time life really does feel nonsensical to me. It's so fucking queer (strange) sometimes, inducing alot of anxiety and negative emotions, but surrender to it and it may take you on an interesting ride. And I find that really charming

Pic related, still from an adaptation of Alice in Wonderland by Jan Svankmajer, a surrealist filmmaker. Fucking amazing piece.

Some more stills from the movie. The White Rabbit's costume was great, also love that my favourite musicians in the 60s / 70s brought back the extravagance, opulence, and romanticism of previous centuries in their dress. And the 60s / 70s have been seeing a comeback in fashion for a while now, which is why I'm so much more into stuff like this.

And another

I've also been interested in the idea of luck and games of luck recently too. Ideas of the occult and magic are somewhat related as well. Card games, especially. Tarot cards are cool too. Playing a game, gambling, risk, etc. can all be related to luck and the surreal air that surrounds coincidental experiences. Also can relate to characters, this probably doesn't make sense but each number / face card in a suit have their own character, like if they were personified and expressed as entities I imagine that they would all be a little different and have their own personalities.

Pic related is Victorian photocollage. In the Victorian age when photography was becoming more widespread, it was a hobby for the upper middle class to cut & paste photos of themselves with paintings, etc. Produced some quite wonky, surrealistic imagery.

Speaking of cards coming to life...

Illustrations for Alice in Wonderland by Arthur Rackham

And another, which...

Heathers. This movie really inspired me fashion wise and just in terms of my own morals and beliefs. I think it's a beautiful film. In terms of theatrical costuming it's a really great example of using color and silhouette to bring out a specific emotion in the viewer.

A lot of movies inspire me fashion-wise like Trainspotting and American Psycho.
When you look at a still from Trainspotting, you have a very specific aesthetic and mood that their fashion radiates, but each character still has a unique look while still being coherent with the aesthetic of the film.

I think film is amazing because you can bring together different pieces of art like fashion, music, cinematography, etc and bring it together in one coherent piece of media.

...I fucking found on a pocket watch at a thrift store a couple weeks ago!!! What!!!!!

Finding it was a surreal experience, as I'd been looking at the illustrations not too long before, then stumbling upon it was crazy, like it was there just waiting for me to find it. Got super lucky. It's stopped functioning, and the 9 seems to be arranged upside down to read XI (11) instead of IX (9), but those qualities just make it more off beat and strange for me, which I thought was fitting for the context of Alice in Wonderland as well as the experience of me finding it.

pretty sick find, too bad it's broken

postan pics

>herp i'm just gonna dump pictures now
at least they're not only fits i guess

ya got me family

And art in general from the past few centuries is rad too. Pic related is depicts a "cabinet of curiosities", which were pretty much collections of objects that were unidentifiable during the european renaissance. I'm also super into found objects (which these pretty much were), because they evoke a certain curiosity in you, like "damn, this thing is so queer, how the fuck did it come into existence and end up here", and using it to make something else or application on clothes is really fun. Love the way HOBAC and other designers in the 80s did this.

Stop spamming pics, this thread isn't meant for that. It's meant for introspection and articulation, and most importantly, for CONTEXT. Spamming incoherent imagery with 0 context is precisely what you see everywhere today, and exactly why this thread was created, in response to such mindless consumption and regurgitation of content.

>and using it to make something else or application on clothes is really fun. Love the way HOBAC and other designers in the 80s did this.
Can you post an example?

>can't weave context together out of a string of similarly-themes pictures
>lmao

that's a pretty poor dismissal of being too lazy to provide your own interpretation

Which is why I'm so into Gucci, Michele creates "faux vintage", they're things you may find at thrift / vintage stores but elevated, refined, and made coherent. It's an approach well represented in the jewelry. I love brands that have this approach, you can buy into some of it and also wear it with vintage / thrift stuff that you find. Saint Laurent was also like this.

also put it really well. In such a short time he's been able to establish this incredible vision, this universe that everyone wants to be part of. The cinematography / story of the campaigns, the music, the lifestyle. It's so well established already, probably because he's had like 10+ years of ideas piled up and now has the chance to express it all.

And also because every look is its own character. There's such a dynamic range of looks within his vision, something for everyone.

Also love the fact that the impact of his work is not compromised when considering day-to-day wear. He treads this line between theatric and the everyday, beautifully portrayed in this recent short film based on a story from Greek mythology. The most recent campaign also takes place in real life settings too, and it doesn't look out of place at all, it looks authentic and so so so much fun.

youtube.com/watch?v=V5Mli5mEbx4

youtube.com/watch?v=z9lHqFpO7CQ

Pic related is also fucking perfectly encapsulates a large portion of my outlook on dress. You buy your favourite Gucci dress, put it on, then forget about it while you go live your life and do your day to day things. Come home and make some spaghetti. Hell yeah

user, you seem like you'd be fun to talk to. anywhere we can message?

Yeah, google the House of Beauty and Culture, Judy Blame, and Christopher Nemeth. They were creative collectives / designers in London during the 80s, pretty much just street / club kids just doing shit on their own. Especially Judy Blame, he just found a bunch of knick knacks like keys, chains, buttons etc. And made jewelry out of them. He collaborated with Louis Vuitton for their menswear collection for the FW15 season which was entirely an homage to Christopher Nemeth, who Judy was a close collaborator of. Some really cool Lux-ified pimped versions of the jewelry were in the collection.

instagram.com/qk9_kudo has a bunch of really rare pieces from that time period if you scroll through. Great representation of what I was talking about.

Also

instagram.com/house_of_beauty_and_culture

There's actually an exhibit at the ICA London right now with Judy Blame's work, look into that as well if you're interested.

I guess found objects really ties into DIY, I'm sure Vivienne Westwood and the Blitz Kids et al all did a bunch of DIY / found object stuff.

Pic related Judy Blame for Louis Vuitton FW15 x Christopher Nemeth

My favorite piece of art is Prisoners, starring Jake Gyllenhaal as Detective Loki.

At first it would be easy to dismiss my choice simply based on pure aesthetics. But there are plenty of moody, byronic, self-destructive, and obsessive characters out there that I could choose. For example, Jimmy Darmody is another common choice.

His tattoos indicate a belief in some sort of higher being, contrasted by his no-nonsense and by-the-book detective work. They also indicate a past life of crime. A brief, otherwise throwaway line in which he intimidates a Catholic priest suggests having been on the end of abuse during his time in a boy's home. Despite his criminal background, this stands to make him an even better detective than most. He knows how criminals think.

He is ashamed of his tattoos. He buttons his button-ups all the way up sans tie. Only when he begins to unleash and reveal his criminal element again, do the tattoos show themselves.

He eats by himself on Thanksgiving night. He is a loner.

I'm inspired by Detective Loki's hair. how it stays in place, neatly slicked back in one second and suddenly his fringe flies all over the place, his strands framing his eyes perfectly. I want to be the very best at something and I have a preference towards being solitary.

tl;dr I like his fucking hair

I have a ton of other inspirations, mainly the old west / cowboy americana stuff / 80s fashion & music / 90s and early 2000s grunge but I haven't explored them enough to really talk about how it connects for me, and aren't as aligned with my lifestyle / dress as some of the stuff I've talked about ITT. Currently just exploring and letting it all come together coherently with time and experience. Good thread OP was fun to ramble for a bit

Was fun reading other people's too hope more people participate

Uh I don't really use any messaging things but you could drop your email and I could message you on skype for web

Similar aesthetic, closer to what I can wear every day. I do office work.

what inspires me is being alone, sit and just listen to music, draw some things drink coffe or tea and learn about design specially fashion sketches or some similar styles of drawing.
I dont really know how to explain it, is just sitting alone at home singing songs loudly, drawing and watching other people's art.

It all started a while ago when I watched This Is England and was gay for the skinhead look. That dissolved into a sort of fashion limbo untill about 2 years back when my (now ex) gf got me into more interesting fashion.

At first, there was no inspiration. I thought health goth looked cool and I went with it. Eventually, though, I re-watched This Is England and watched Trainspotting. I saw a bit of myself in the characters and noted how, though fictional, they didn't seem to really care how they dressed and pulled off that effortles but interesting look.

It was a bit of a turning point. It got me to try new outfits and styles alltogether and got me to narrow things down. It inspired me to not try as hard and develop a wardrobe that could be casual and formal, without looking forced.

I guess my ex inspired me too with how confident she was with her fits.

It was something of a realization, a string of singular event that lead to clarity. I just really like the sort of 70s to 90s, now vintage, UK/EU youth "street look", and I like to mix it in and play around with it in my outfits.

That being said, I also like a dark (color wise, not edgy theme wise) and almost conservative clothing- something of an incantation of Sartré's being and nothingness. As pretentious as that may sound, I mean that in the sense that I would dress well, with typically darker collors and less youthful clothing, without going overboard dadcore.

A gap bridger between those two is the music I listen to and make. I'm a fan of dark ambient avant-garde like music, power electronics, ambient noise... That general ambient vein of music. It has a dark and brooding overtone without a need to take itself to seriously whilst still being potentially thought provoking and surreal. I like reflecting some philosiphical and depressive themes with it, with a sort of underlying theme of unknowing youth.

A blend of the careless youth look with that semi-formal and mature French aesthetic.

I'm not really sure if this counts as an inspiration but the way I have always percieved art and music definitely has an effect on how I dress.

In my opinion majority of the time technical "skill" in terms of art and music is completely meaningless. Photorealistic drawing is bland and most musicians that focus purely on technical skill are uninspired.

Style is everything in any form of art, anyone can take a photo, making photorealistic drawing obsolete and if technical skill was everything Malmsteen would be a god.

I'm probably nowhere near the first person to feel like this but honestly I'm not very well read.

Yo can you email me too? Not user but you seem like a cool person and I wanna talk to you.

[email protected]

It was about 2-3 years ago, I used to be a hardcore metalhead dating a tumblr chick, she would always talk about fashion and compare me to some models. I guess I just got influenced by her and by the time we broke up, I had cut my long metal hair into a Hitler Youth haircut and I'd be wearing Hawaiian shirts with black jeans and a pair of combat boots. She also got me into that one band The Neighbourhood and I got fascinated by the lead singer's fashion sense. The girl turned out to be a complete fake bitch in the end, but I'm glad she got me into Veeky Forums

I am a fan of soups and stews and things that you eat in bowls all at once, rather than meals that are portioned individually on a plate.

Any good soup or stew will have a variety of colors, so as not to be dull, but not so many that it's distasteful.

Soups and stews are made so that any given combination of the ingredients you put in your mouth will be satisfying. You may just pull a meatball, or you may get the carrots and potatoes. The broth will tie it all together.

Soups and stews are made so that any given combination of the ingredients you put in your mouth will be satisfying. You may just pull a meatball, or you may get the carrots and potatoes. The broth will always tie it together.

kek

Whether simple or complex, top tier soups and stews are a single coherent dish and eaten alone. You can not eat part of it. You must eat all of it.

>There is something romantic about a miner eating a stew out of a wooden bowl by a campfire. There is something powerful about a king eating a soup made of all fresh ingredients. They are available to anyone, and anyone can master them. They are simple, but so much more than what they seem.

god OP.. you're insufferable

its getting late and i keep fucking up the formatting and tired of trying to match op's pedanticness but basically

soups stews > all other foods

theyre earthy and hearty when u want em to be and light when ur not quite that hungry.

in terms of fashion and lifestyle it means be adaptable, but always make sure what you adapt into is still complete.

also nothing you wear is in a vacuum. you can't have your shoes here and your jacket there. it's all on you and people will look at it all together.

soup is v chill

Yo solid posts I can relate to soups / bowl food

You just have your bowl and it's yours to eat out of you get some take out in a bowl and you eat that shit alone and it's just yours you feel me

ya i love bowl foods

thanks u too sorry i called u pedantic

human pain

You sound like someone I knew in a past life. Or someone I made up in my head whilst listening to Trouble Will Find Me.

02 goth chix inspire me
no sluts

That is exactly my story minus the long hair.

www39.zippyshare.com/v/tAWSEJxF/file.html

I don't have inspiration? I mean, I like techwear, streetwear/skater stuff, prep stuff too, but I don't really look up to anything. I just look at my wardrobe and go "this + this looks nice, I'll do that fit". Then again maybe I don't "get" fashion.

????

Tell me about yourself, user. Maybe I feel the same.

As a girl i oftentimes feel that looking "fashionable" (in modern pop culture) = hopping on whatever trend you want and sexualizing it as much as possible

This is applicable to guys as well but girls deal with it far more as far as I can tell

my goal is to look nice without sexualizing my body at all, I don't want to look attractive or sexually appealing

It's been a successful experiment so far, but people always ask if I'm trans lol

all in all, my inspiration is the idea of non-sexualized fashion

lol i dont think it gets more tumblr

I mean I guess you could think of it that way but most girls on tumblr seem like social justice warriors with daddy issues

that isn't really my thing haha

This stuff isn't giving me some gender-oriented existential power trip or anything. I'm just having fun with it

I treat clothing like I treat food, both are necessary for survival. Everyone has to eat and everyone has to clothe themselves against the elements. Beyond that, the depth and magnitude is up to you.

If you need to eat, you might as well eat well. If you need clothes, you might as well wear clothing of quality. All this can be cultivated whether you make your own food/clothing or buy it.

I'm inspired by the perfect simplicity of nature and of the past. The more we develop technical fabrics, the more I turn toward the fabrics prized in the past for their natural properties and benefits: wool and hemp for their heat regulation, linen for its antimicrobial properties.

The clothing I wear is an evolution of that past insight and an attempt to return to base value of a thing for what it is. I love a chunky knit wool sweater because it combines natural warmth with aesthetic beauty found in the rich texture. Linen keeps you cool and has a very natural rumpled texture. In a world where everything is moving toward uniformity (fabric example cotton), I'm drawn to the uniqueness found in nature.

What did he mean by this?