/skin/

Skincare General

Everything related to skincare routines, products, acne, and grooming goes in here.

Wiki:
Skin care basics: tuxbell.com/index.php?title=Grooming#Skin-care_Basics
Acne treatment: tuxbell.com/index.php?title=Grooming#Acne_Treatment

Skinacea Links:
Retinoids: skinacea.com/retinoids/retinoids.html
Sunscreen: skinacea.com/sunscreen/sunscreen.html
Ridding dark eye circles: skinacea.com/how-to/get-rid-of-dark-circles.html

Veeky Forums skincare FAQ:
pastebin.com/PArDyf2G

Contents:
- Basic routine, skincare guide, and products tips
- How to pop pimples, remove blackheads and whiteheads
- Why you shouldn't use ordinary soap on your face
- How to improve your skin tone through diet
- Studies on how diary and sugars create acne
- How your skin is affected by sleep, sun, skincare ingredients

Other urls found in this thread:

skinacea.com/how-to/get-rid-of-dark-circles.html
aafp.org/afp/2003/0201/p614.html
amazon.com/gp/product/B000052YM7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
amazon.com/Acnefree-Treatments-Terminator-Maximum-Strength/dp/B0014VTOAQ/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1469663454&sr=8-1&keywords=terminator 10
amazon.com/dp/B00LA6QEOE/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have this bad breakout on my nose, it won't go away! Now there's a dark spot on the tip of my nose.

>skinacea.com/how-to/get-rid-of-dark-circles.html
when did dark eye circles become un-effay?

>using facial products that contain toxic/allergenic/carcinogenic/etc ingredients
>not using dr bronners soap and petroleum jelly

Feels good to be master race

what is the best treatment for oily skin with scars? (no laser)

You can't cure oiliness but the FAQ has a routine for oily skin. What kinds of scars?

Anyone have suggestion on a good sun screen?

I use a "mattifying" one by Avéne but the FAQ has some recommendations as well (haven't tried any of those though).

I see
I picked uphiking and last thing I want is to get burnt to a crisp
Especially since I'm currently super pale.

pitted ones, some deeper some not so deep, also some small holes from blackheads

You should probably get one with SPF 50 then. You're also using sunscreen on your body, right? Also, it's good to wear sunscreen everyday even if you're not hiking to prevent premature aging.

Sorry, you can only fix those with laser treatment.

Jap suncreens like Shiseido or Biore are really good IMO

>tfw have dark circles
I know it's from all the screen time and poor sleeping routine. I'd rather not have them, but I'll deal with them for now, might disappear once I move out and force myself to get a job.

>tfw when neverending spots ruin your otherwise pretty solid facial aesthetics.

So close but always so far.

anyone with oily skin care to share their routine?

Dude, they may never go away (see section on this in OP's post).
I wasted my time getting healthy and fit,
Spending tons on creams gels, treatments, etc.

Just find a concealer that works for you.
Yes - make-up.
The same shit 99.9% of celebs movie stars etc use.
There's probably about 5 celebrities in the whole world who actually have good skin.
The rest just have good makeup game, or they get cosmetic surgery or spa treatments erryday...

It's not like I always had them, I got them mostly from my lifestyle, I expect them to go away once I change things around. But I do worry that it may never get better now that I think about it.

That's not really my thing, if it's permanent then I'd just deal with it, might use it on special occasions I guess.

I guess you failed to read the FAQ part about product ingredients

Breety Basic

Wash face twice a day (morning and night)

>morning
Cetaphil Cleanser
Some random Body Shop Toner
Cetaphil SPF 50 moisturiser (I usually dilute it with a drop of water since it's kinda thick)

>Night
Cetaphil cleanser
Toner
CeraVe Lotion
Clearasil acne cream (if I have anything)

And I use blotter pads throughout the day

these are great for spot removal.

Is Avene's micellar lotion any good? I've normal skin but just nicer skin. Is the 3 in 1 prospect a scam?

Who /epiduo/ here? I'm a little over two months in and it seems to be working well enough. Still experiencing some purging tho

What's a really good, industrial strength skin cream that's not too expensive?

if you don't already know this, WEAR SUNSCREEN EVERY SINGLE DAY. It is the most important and best thing you can do to protect yourself from skin aging. Sunlight slowly but permanently damages your skin every time you encounter it and it is irreversible.

are y'all really afraid of wearing makeup....... fucking fragile masculinity lmao

Everyone says to wear sunscreen but desu wouldn't sunscreen just break you out even more since it clogs your pores

Shower at the end or beginning of the day?

The Nivea cream that comes in the small round disk
Get one designed for your face senpai. Preferably one that is non-comedogenic. If you ahve sensitive skin try to avoid mineral sunscreens

>nofap

both but your gonna be really dry use moisturizing shampoo and lotion, if I had to pick one I would say before you sleep, so your pillows and sheets don't get dirty and end up getting shit on your face/body

>not reading the sticky

Some sunscreens do cause breakouts. But the good ones don't

Celebrities can afford lots of laser treatments and you can fix a lot with lasers. Fuck, I wish I was rich.

I think people mostly use micellar water as a make-up remover before their cleanser. I wouldn't leave it on desu.

What's that?

What's your skin type? The FAQ has some recommendations.

+1

Tbh it looks really obvious and bad on men a lot of the time. Also, I'm a girl but I still want nice skin under my make-up.

That's why you buy a non-comedogenic one.

If you only shower once, at the end of the day.

That's what I was thinking. Would reduce the need to wash/change my pillow covers as often and I would be wallowing in less of my filth for my sleeping period.

What's this, probably from walking outside all day yesterday. It was overcast and I wore a raincoat most of the time, but didn't wear sunscreen so could be that? It's just on my arms, stops on the shoulders and wrists.

Better image without hairs. It's a bit itchy and sore when I touch it but not the most obvious so I didn't notice until now.

Any toner recommendations?

Smallpox.

guys just cut out all processed sugar, even keep the sugars you get from fruit to a minimum (there are a lot of fruits out there less than 5 g sugar).

all my skin problems went away when I started eating more protein and fat, and i got my carbs from veg/low sugar fruit. i was eatin the white bread and pasta like nuts though, using sugary coffee creamer and pastries, etc.

Hey, so I was wondering if any of you do skin lightening treatments? I'm trying to start somewhere but Google is being difficult.

I have pretty bad face issues, even eating very little sugar (no cakes, candy, sugar in tea, a bit of sugary fruits like nectarines, etc). It's a good general tip but it doesn't magically make everything go away for everyone.

idk where to ask this

HOW DO I GET RID OF WARTS??

I got one on my finger and idk how to get it away

can I get it frozen by a doctor for free here in the UK?

thanks guys

just get a bottle of tea tree oil

confused. you were eating white bread and pasta, using sugary coffee creamer and pastries, and your acne went away?

Doctors can freeze it off, but that's costly. You can put duct tape on it and if you change the tape every day, it'll go away on its own in two weeks.

Diet varies for different people, not everyone can sustain that, unless his original post has a type and that was a comparison and not a statement.

2nding the duct tape treatment

it's been tested scientifically, too.

will pull studies if asked.

acetic acid treatment also works, but it's worse in exactly three different ways.

Did a writeup on this a while ago. It just werks.

---
Preventing the production of melanin (dark pigment):
- Be a NEET and cover your windows to prevent both UVA and UVB from reaching you
- Go full Yohji Yamamoto. Cover your skin to protect it from the sun. Use a sunhat.
- Use a +50 SPF sunscreen on face/hands if you ever leave the house.
- Buy a +2% hydroquinone solution online and apply it as per directions.

For removing already existing pigment:
- Use salicylic acid/lactic acid/glycolic acid peels at somewhat low percentages.
- Start applying topical niacinamide products as per directions.

If you're excessively naturally melanin-augmented from birth, then you need to use a pulsed dye laser - repeatedly, everywhere.

In any case, see a derm.

---

good luck

my cheeks are red 24/7 wat do

See a doc and check for rosacea

aafp.org/afp/2003/0201/p614.html

any recommendations on moisturizers for oily skin? using pic related at the moment

Rash from the abrasiveness of the coat possibly?

This product saved my life!
Hada Labo Rohto Gokujyn Hyaluronic Acid Lotion

essentially cured my dry skin

Desert Essence cleanser and sunscreen in the morning, 5% benzoyl peroxide at night.

Working much better for me than the antibiotics + adapalene (lol) I was prescribed earlier this year for moderate/severe acne.

Forgot to add, Indian Healing Clay with apple cider vinegar once a week after showering.

my routine that cleared up my acne I'm a 19 year old male with combination skin and small pores
morning,
>cleanse with Lush Dark Angels
>rinse and dry
>Tone with lush tea tree water toner
>Murad rapid age Serum (for lightening acne scars and clearing red spots)
>Moisturize With Lush vanishing cream
>first aid beauty detox eye roller for dark circles

Night
>Cleanse with Dark Angels
>Tone With tea tree water toner
>Mask 1 Lush cosmetic warrior/catastrophe cosmetic
>rinse and dry
>Mask 2 Lush sacred truth
>Tone
>moisturize with Shea moisture flax seed oil
>burts bees eye cream

acne execution

anyone tried Aesop Facial wash ?
i'm going to use it anyway because the bottle is gorgeous but i'd still like to know

This is the only thing that didn't break me out and didn't make my face oilier than it normally is.

overly scented, rough for your skin and overpriced, sign me up

I like Cerave PM. Doesn't leave me greasy or break me out, although I've heard of other people with oily skin having trouble with it.
Dr. Lin's hydrating gel was also decent. It's a gel so it's not likely to make you greasy. Probably worth looking into gels in general if creams/lotions don't cut it

I'll try them out, picked up a small bottle of CeraVe to see how it goes

Switching products isn't a concern, it's rare for me to break out. I just want to reduce the oil and get rid of the stubborn blackheads on my nose.

Nose blackheads are often actually sebaceous filaments
They're pretty normal to have but they vary from person to person and can look blackhead-like
Not a whole lot you can do about them, they'll fill right back up if you squeeze them out but BHA exfoliates might reduce the appearance. pic related is an affordable one

I've also heard that massaging with mineral oil helps but I don't have any experience with it personally

I picked up a pack of those as well

thanks for the advice

Random Questions:

What's does Veeky Forums recommend more: CeraVe foaming cleanser or Cetaphil Daily Cleanser?

Also, what's a better sunscreen for AM use: CeraVe AM SPF 30 or Cetaphil oil control SPF 30? I'm currently using CeraVe Lotion for PM/body use and Stridex

Is there even a big difference between the options?

Veeky Forums, I know to use sunscreen in the day, but what's better for PM use: A lotion or a cream? I don't really know the difference

Can't decide between CeraVe cream or CeraVe lotion before bed. For reference, I mostly have oily skin.

People need to find what foods trigger them, some its dairy. If your skin is only getting marginally better with a skin care routine, then play around with your diet and see what happens.

Just go to the GP, they'll either freeze it or give you some acid solution stuff.
>Doctors can freeze it off, but that's costly.
Not in the UK :^)

Don't start using these every day to start with, they're pretty rough and irritant.

/r/sCa love the foaming cleanser, but from what I've seen a lot of CeraVe products, and Cetaphil for that matter, break people out. I would start with the foaming cleanser, and see how you get on with it. If it breaks you out then try something else.

is there any hope for this? ;_;

>they're pretty rough and irritant.

not really. they're alcohol free and the salicylic acid in them acts anti inflammatory. it's hailed for not being too drying. many prefer them to other products containing salicylic acid that are also heavy on alcohol... they work for most people who don't have sensitive skin.. some even use it two to three times a day...

How do I go about bleaching my skin?

whats a solid but cheap exfoliater for blackheads, my skin is decent but I got loads of blackheads around my mouth. Im looking for something under 25 euros

Also, how do I get rid of redness around and on my nose (it isnt sunburn)

Look for something with a chemical exfoliant such as salicylic acid in it.

A cream is more heavier than a lotion, thus more moisturizing, I think. It would make sense to use the heavier one at night.

see

used the pads last night and this morning, did feel some tingling but it went away after a few seconds

so far, no complaints about them

That just looks like different lighting but

thanks family

dang these arent available in the Netherlands

How is this for an exfoliant?

same as the standard toner (like in OP), just as a gel
not that much different from other 2% BHA products, just more expensive because its paulas choice

I ordered a sample for 60 cents
I'll see if it works for me

Yes, there's some hope.

Moisturize with this to remove scars, might make you break out more sometimes:

amazon.com/gp/product/B000052YM7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Use on blemishes at night or during the day if you're comfortable wearing sunscreen over it. It's just BP

amazon.com/Acnefree-Treatments-Terminator-Maximum-Strength/dp/B0014VTOAQ/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1469663454&sr=8-1&keywords=terminator 10

my sunscreen
amazon.com/dp/B00LA6QEOE/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I also use a clinique toner with alcohol because my face drips oil.

So I've started to take cold showers, in the evening. I only use a moisturizer, PM as well, for products. Should I apply it after showering, or should I wash my face with warm water after showering to open up pores etc.? If I get a face wash, should I use it in the shower or after? Also same questions for hot showers actually, since outside of summer my house has a shitty shower going from hot to very hot so I can't take cold showers.

thanks! that helps a lot

I get dry skin. I scab because of it. I don't put any makeup on top of it because I know it needs to breath and heal.

I need to know what lotions and face cleansers you recommend.

>huuuuuuu i'm a woman i can't read the guides spoonfeed me

check the sticky

what are some natural stuff i can use and add to my routine my face to reduce black points and some non inflameted acne?

Quick question:

Do you exfoliate before the cleanser (1st step), or after?

The sticky says 2nd, but some dermatologists say first to "prime" the skin for the cleanser by exfoliating first

After cleanser, before moisturizer

******TOP TIP******

If you've just popped a spot, put cut a square out a blister plaster and put it on the spot overnight. The plaster sucks up all the blood and pus and the spot itself will be more or less flat (Depending on size). Seriously, one of the best things I've done in combatting acne.

Is blister plaster pic related? What do you use?

there's some confusion about the different terms that complicates things a bit.

people can refer to exfoliating toners by saying 'exfoliators', but they can also refer to an a scrub or clay mask.

most exfoliating toners are meant to be left on the skin to allow their active ingredients to act on, and in, the skin. they're therefore almost never washed off, and should therefore almost always be used after a cleanser/scrub/clay mask.

scrubs and clay masks also exfoliate the skin, but in a more mechanical way. they physically remove dead skin and some oils from the skin surface, whereas ordinary not-that-exfoliating cleansers removes dirt, oils, some microorganisms, and a minor amount of dead skin.

since cleansers really can't do that much of a difference on recently-exfoliated clean skin (since what it's good at removing is mostly gone), it would seem like it's not needed to use a cleanser after using a mechanical exfoliator. it's also generally a good thing to not expose exfoliated skin (thinner, more sensitive, more easily dried) for the detergents in the cleanser, as this makes it more prone to irritation.

if you instead clean your skin before you use a mechanical exfoliator, you will keep the excess dirt/oils/some microorganisms from getting mashed into the skin during the later physical exfoliation process/scrubbing - as small wounds are often created and the skin becomes thinner and more sensitive in general.

but, uhh, in general: you'll be fine.
if I'm exfoliating my skin using a scrub/clay mask, I go a bit easier on the cleansing in order to not dry my skin out too much. most mechanical exfoliators are 'cleansing' in the same way as cleansers (but more exfoliating), so you actually don't need both at the same time, but it definitely seems beneficial to clean the skin before physically exfoliating.

had a cyst come up on my face a month ago, has left a massive weird red lump scar thing

wat do

TL;DR:
1. cleanser (no scrub)
(2. cleansing/exfoliating scrub or clay mask.)
3. exfoliating toner

note that you generally shouldn't use scrubs/clay masks on a daily basis. also, your skin might not like you for exfoliating it in many different ways during the same routine (or day). if it doesn't like what you're doing, it'll let you know.

What body soap/cleanser is good for sensitive skin?

Dermaroller for scars

How often should I use the Indian clay mask? Also is steaming face at home a viable way to clean clogged pores?

How do I get lighter looking skin? I used to be light as a kid but got dark af. I use sunscreen everyday.

Ok what is this Veeky Forums and how do I get rid of it forever?

Any help on dealing with redness/busted blood capillaries around my nose any on my cheek on my cheek?

Not as bad as the guy in the pic but getting there.....