How much money do you guys spend on clothes?

Thinking of clearing out my closets of old stuff I never wear (don't fit anymore/hand me downs), and starting new.

Would a thousand dollars be enough to get a decent wardrobe going for the rest of the summer and the fall semester (uni)?

Other urls found in this thread:

theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/10/the-case-for-expensive-clothes/408652/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yeah probably

if you buy mall stuff, then yeah probs

I generally cycle like 3 pairs of trousers, 5 shirts, and probably like 2-3 outer-garments during the week. I only wear either a pair of boots or sneakers.

But I've been wanting to expand, and the stuff I buy are generally pretty cheap. So I really don't know what a good budget should be.

I probably spend like 500 a year on bags and 1000-1500 a year on shoes and clothes
And I'm a total whore for heavyweight tees/sweats

a couple grand would probably be better
dont just go and buy the cheapest thing you can though, save up some cash for something nice, you will be able to tell the difference, youll take better care of it and will last much longer
you also have to account for the weather aswell so youll probably need different pants/shirts/jackets/socks etc for winter than you will summer

Jesus fuck.

I spent no more than $10 each on sweatshirts and vintage shit from thrift stores, buy the $20 Walmart Levis that don't actually look bad and last long enough, and spend

Go to thrift and discount stores for t-shirts and other basics. That way you can save the bulk of your money for a couple really nice jackets and pairs of shoes. Remember to check Grailed before buying retail BTW.

idk and i dont want to find out

>dont just go and buy the cheapest thing you can though,
Sorry, I think I should explain. I mean I currently generally buy the cheap stuff h&m mostly. But I want to expand into nicer, and more durable items.

theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/10/the-case-for-expensive-clothes/408652/
mandatory reading for you

>theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/10/the-case-for-expensive-clothes/408652/

>let me try to justify buying 150 dollar t-shirts real quick
>wow this is harder than I expected
>uh I guess if I pay 150 dollars for it then the worker gets a bigger cut, that's how things work in vietnamese sweatshops, right?
>it will also last longer, and because the average t-shirt lasts a lifetime, maybe I'll hand this t-shirt down to my grandkids
>so yeah you too should spend a significant amount of your income on clothes you could get for less, because everyone benefits and NOT just the fashion companies that pay my ads!

mandatory reading INDEED

I spend on average $600-$800 per item.

dafuc, why ?

Why not? I have a job and the money...

>let me try to justify buying 150 dollar t-shirts real quick
There are times when I don’t meet my goal. My t-shirts are not $150 apiece, though most are well over two years old.
>uh I guess if I pay 150 dollars for it then the worker gets a bigger cut, that's how things work in vietnamese sweatshops, right?

If you buy more expensive clothing, it doesn’t guarantee that your clothes will be exceptionally well-made, or that workers haven’t been exploited in their making. (Some would argue that, at some point in the garment’s production, someone was probably exploited.)
>so yeah you too should spend a significant amount of your income on clothes you could get for less, because everyone benefits and NOT just the fashion companies that pay my ads!
First of all, ads run the internet; they run this website, they run The Atlantic, it's just the nature of the beast (and there have been some fascinating arguments about adblocking as of late, since Apple, in a mostly political move [that is, to block google ads], has decided to allow adblocking software on their phones). Second, he made it very clear that $150 was no arbitrary figure

Spent $700 the past two days.
I usually buy a mix of worn and new clothing.

not that much. the only thing I really shell out money for are bottoms because they're what make an outfit interesting to me. my denim and trousers are all designer or thrift but I've never paid more than $200 for a pair. but I've also had good luck in scoring a ton of awesome stuff during online sales (farfetch always has a ton)

my tops are all basic shit from like AA, COS, the AllSaints outlet, etc

I literally have 3 pairs of shoes in rotation and they're mall tier besides one nice pair of derbies

I don't own any outerwear because I live in Florida and don't really like the look and feel of jackets and coats

I'm awful at keeping track. Since last week I bought a new pair of sunglasses and a new pair of combat boots. Glasses were new for $225 and I got the boots on grailed for $250. About a week ago, I copped some EG items off of grailed.

Am now looking into buying CP white lows, or W+H white lows, and a pair of suicoke sandals this week.

I honestly spend way more than I'm comfortable admitting and my wardrobe still sucks.

I guess.. but why not put that money towards something less.. superficial? I mean I'm a broke boy so maybe I can't talk but I could never justify spending that much on any article of clothing

When start buying higher quality clothing you realise what the worth in it (at least I did) and then up until a point the gains in quality drop off as you get higher and higher in the $$$ and you start to get into the unique designs more so than any kind of "quality".

I now buy pieces that I find really interesting and for their materials that they're made from. And other than buying reps which will skimp on the quality materials there's not much other options if you want that interesting piece.

>Is it really worth it to spend thousands?
no. only if you make 6 figures a year

10K a month, minimum.

Berlusconi was on 200K a year, but that little fuck looked fly as fuck.

I see what you're saying. A pair of no name denim from Walmart are going to be subpar in comparison to most designer jeans, or even mall brand denim like Levi's

But to an extent, fabric is fabric. Depending on handling, most materials will degrade naturally over time regardless of the price tag. I mean yeah, the construction of the garment plays a big role and usually more expensive items are made better overall (not always though), but it gets to a point where you have to ask yourself if a price gap of a couple hundred dollars makes enough of a difference in quality to make certain purchases worth it

Wow I didn't even realize that you mentioned the gains in quality eventually begin to taper.. Dumb

But yeah that's basically what I was rambling about up there ^

Yeah well, really it's all up to your own personal situation. And not everyone is into paying that much for clothes. But I like to think that most people have something they sink their money into be it other hobbies like cars, computers, or warhammer 40k or even things like just going out on the weekend drinking.

One of my work colleagues wonders how I can spend so much on clothes but he neglects the fact that he spends roughly $200 per weekend on going out drinking... I myself own a few bottles of whisky that I drink on occasion but I don't go out.

So that right there is an easy $800 savings per month on him that I can put towards clothes. And wearing the clothes that I do gives me confidence, some of the pieces are great conversation starters. I was in a random store the other day and one of the staff there asked me if i was in fashion school or something so we got to talking about that kind of stuff.

No way. Are you even Italian?
He was just a whore for expensive suits, and even then he didn't have much breadth, he went from navy to navy, as a politician is wont to do, but he went for too much shoulder for his build.
His hair was a national meme, as was his height.
The epitome of a bald manlet in a suit.

Very rarely you could see him in french navy, more often he'd go 'casual' with a dark solid shirt, or in summer with a way-too-open-chest shirt and a bandanna, to better relate with club goers and fishmongers.

If you want to hit that kind of style, and want an Italian example to follow, look at some Agnellis.

What will you wear? Do you already have a plan?
1k$ is even too much.
You'll need t-shirts (or polos, if you do that), shirts (again, if you wear them), summer and winter pants, mid season and winter jackets (or a mid-heavy jacket and something that can be layered below, that also works as mid-light), and shoes if you need them.
The minimum would be
>2 pairs of shoes
>2 pairs of pants per season (4 total)
>2 jackets, either layerable or not
>an undefined number of shirts (summer shirts, so you can use them year round) - you could make do with 4, without being too gross, 8 would be perfect, sub tshirts or polos if that's what you wear
>are you active? you'll need gymwear, at least shoes and enough shorts+shirts to last the week, maybe a sweatpant if you train outside in the winter

I wear mostly cheap, no-brand but decent quality shit, need to dress in a shirt every day, I'd spend 900€ for that (270 for 2 shoes, 320 for the pants, 160 for the shirts, 100 for a peacoat and a mid-season jacket, 100 gym shoes, 50 for a couple of sports shorts and some basic tees), so just about 1k$, but you can probably find something cheaper, or maybe you won't need to buy EVERYTHING new and can reuse at least gym clothes and shoes.

I live in the PNW, so it rains pretty much all year round save for June to early-Sept. I think I'm good for the shoes. I wear boots, and a pair of runners.

Same goes for gym-wear. I go there to lift, not look Veeky Forums, so I can use what I currently got.

For trousers, I was thinking of 2 pairs of jeans and 2 pairs of something khaki. Everything else would go into shirts, and jackets.

>Before Veeky Forums
$100 is expensive
>After Veeky Forums
$2000 is the new expensive

If you don't need shoes or gymwear (I probably overstimated the cost of squatting shoes, but it won't be less than 50-60€), you can probably halve your budget, and reduce it even more if you can wait for sales and don't need everything NOW.