Hey Veeky Forums, this is my first time posting here but I may do so more in the future as finances and resources allow...

Hey Veeky Forums, this is my first time posting here but I may do so more in the future as finances and resources allow. We shall see.

The reason for my posting though is to ask the goth types here about a particular jacket I loved when I was younger but had to get rid of. I believe it was made by Tripp NYC but I can't be entirely sure. It was purchased at a Hot Topic somewhere between 2006 and 2009 when My Chemical Romance's The Black Parade was big and gothy/edgy types were following that trend in a major way.

It was a split back trenchcoat, black of course, and I believe it was styled after a military jacket of sorts with Tripp's distinctive style. There were loops on the cuffs and on the shoulders, or rather a strip of fabric sewn with finger-sized holes along the length as if sewing it down while fingers were spread beneath the cloth. To be quite honest I thought them the size of bullets and considered getting costume bullets to slide in the loops at some point but never did, it wasn't particularly my style at the time either so it was a flighty idea. Cheap and crappy chains dangled straight down from the shoulders I believe when I purchased it (these were immediately disposed of). It was made of a canvas like material that felt thick but wasn't particularly heavy or warm. I don't recall how it fastened in the front. Other than the chains there was little to no metal or shiny bits. In fact, despite my belief that it was made by Tripp NYC it was very much unlike the typical Tripp style consisting of bright shiny zippers and many flashy bits.

Sadly, I do not have any pictures of this jacket (as far as I know) since I was and still am loathe to have my picture taken. All I can do is provide crappy shopping website images of other Tripp jackets I've found so far and use them as reference for what this didn't have.

>pic related
>lacked like all the shiny bits here
>shoulder loops were horizontal and could be seen through at this angle

Other urls found in this thread:

tuxbell.com/images/8/82/Yeststylething.jpg
ysl.com/us/shop-product/men/ready-to-wear-coats-classic-70-s-military-coat-in-black-wool-and-nylon_cod41650321jl.html#section=men_fall_winter
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Dunno why it didn't work the first time I tried posting the thread, maybe my connection bugged out.

>second pic related
>didn't have a hood and there was only one split in the center of the back, no splits on the front
>also didn't have the visible metal bits though there might have been a flap or more of those loop setups on each side I can't remember for sure
>size of the loops on the cuffs was pretty close to what this shows though

Are you by chance a character in the video game Kingdom Hearts?

>back of second pic related
>same applies as above
>just posting because I have it really and it's a bit bigger than the other two images

Negative. I just want to find at least reference images of the jacket I had before as I plan on designing something similar to it.

Well, reference images if I can't get my hands on another of the jacket. Preferably larger than the Medium size I wore in my late teens. My shoulders are much broader now, and I seem to have picked up a spare tire somewhere along the way too sadly but I'm starting to lose a bit again which is a good sign.

Oh, if it helps, I believe I paid 80 bucks for it at Hot Topic.

Oh, the split on the back was about a bit higher than the last two images, but it wasn't the entire back that was split. I believe it split just below my waist.

For a note, I am working on putting together a Victorian goth/steampunk styled outfit that can easily be altered to suit various occasions formal and non. I am open to suggestions for split back longcoats and the like as well. I prefer starting from a split back trenchcoat somewhere along the lines of what I described for a few personal reasons and based on what I have in mind. I am extremely likely to alter whatever jacket I get my hands on so I would prefer something in cheaper margins as I wouldn't want to destroy a really nice jacket with amateurish alterations (even if I got it cheap). Lighter materials are also preferred, as I would like to be able to wear it in multiple types of weather.

If I do get something a bit more expensive I'd be looking for someone who is good at clothes alterations (be they professional or not) to make several alterations but I'd rather start with something I can do personally at first so I can get a better handle on how I want everything to look before I spend too much money on it.

i know exactly what you're referring to actually

You do? You wouldn't by any chance have an image or know the name of the jacket would you? Even if I can just get some images to work with that would be great but if I know the name of the jacket I might even be able to find someone selling one still!

>You wouldn't by any chance have an image or know the name of the jacket would you?

i sure do

Well then, thanks for getting my hopes up with your bait. I've only been looking for this jacket on and off for years since I had to get rid of mine. But I won't give up yet, nor will I give up on Veeky Forums/fa/. Other boards have proven to be decent despite first impressions (hell even /k/ can be nice once in a while) so I doubt this one will be any different.

I need to take a shower though now that I've wound down from work, maybe someone less cancerous will remember this decade old jacket from their goth or emo days in highschool or something.

[spoiler]By the way, I hated My Chemical Romance back then and these days mostly pretend they don't exist, I just knew that was what inspired the jacket. I was raised a metalhead, parents are big into death metal and heavy metal, dad was big into 80's metal and likes much of the metal scene in general, mom likes more death metal and gothy stuff in general. Both are very much into Dracula's Ball and etc. This heavily influenced my style choices my entire life. Just never got into spikes and skulls and chains, preferred the dark and dapper approach. And if any type of hat is going to be used it'll be either a decorated and customized bowler or a topper depending on the formality of the occasion. Likely to go full topper for a formal masquerade for example.[/spoiler]

haha dude i know this is all bait but mcr is the only lastingly good band to come out of the 2000's scene besides brand new

three cheers was a crowning achievement in the scene and tbp was a scene transcending masterpiece, not to mention how incredibly ambitious and weird danger days was (this whole paragraph could actually apply to brand new's second third and fourth records as well lol)

anyway basically if you look past the horrendous fanbase mcr is dope

backed

that thing is 10/10 op

didnt think this would happen here lol, co-opting this thread to talk about music

g's solo record is pretty effay imo, i think i like it better aesthetically than anything mcr put out desu. he's also probably the closest thing this generation has to a bowie (an argument could be made for watkin jones or maaayyyybe kanye) and bowie was the most fashionable man of all time

party poison is pretty effay too

This is fucking gold op

11/10
If bait still 10/10

I wouldn't go that far, Bowie comparison is a bit much. But yeah G's new style (music & fashion) is pretty cool.

Party Poison costumes are alright but the album art is aesthetically ruining imo unfortunately.

>he's also probably the closest thing this generation has to a bowie
>haha dude i know this is all bait but mcr is the only lastingly good band to come out of the 2000's scene besides brand new

you have absolutely no idea what you're talking

brand new isn't even the best post-hardcore band of the 2000s

oh yeah he's nowhere near bowie levels, at least not yet. they've just got a similar method to their art. every album is backed by an incredibly strong aesthetic, stage show, music videos, album art, etc.. at a certain point it stops being music and becomes something more. its like a moment in time, a whole era or whatever

there's also the thing where music isnt their only pursuit, bowie had acting and g has comics. kanye's got fashion. watkin's whole fucking life is a piece of bizarre performance art

but yeah bowie was a god, i'm not sure anyone will ever reach that level again

>brand new
>post-hardcore
lmao dont even

>lmao dont even

They are post-hardcore.

ok

great bait

>but yeah bowie was a god, i'm not sure anyone will ever reach that level again

this is fucking classic

OP here, this thread was not meant to be bait. I'm being entirely serious.

I figured I could ask Veeky Forums for help finding a specific article of clothing, trying to provide as much information to help find this piece of clothing as I could. But I guess anything that isn't 100% today's mainstream fashion is off topic for here. Should I be asking about the proper pants sag depth or perhaps whether my shoes are bright and obnoxious enough?

As for MCR, I never really listened to much of their music, I just avoided it like the plague because everything in that direction made me pray for my own spontaneous combustion. Basically their fanbase ruined it before I even listened to it, so I never listened to it aside from when it was playing the few times I visited Hot Topic, and that generally wasn't long enough to hear much of anything or I had headphones blaring Skid Row or Metallica or AC/DC or Iron Maiden any of the other tapes or CDs I borrowed from my dad.

Lol OP. I actually know this jacket. Worked at hot topic for a while.

Post an image with timestamp to prove this is not bait, then I'll help you out.

my chemical romance and brand new are decent bands that made a couple of good albums. one could easily name 50 far superior bands from that period

i have no idea why you're making comparisons to bowie. that's just bizarre

it's as if you have zero appreciation for music and are only able to react to their physical appearance

Also, for the record, I didn't realize spoilers don't work on Veeky Forums. This is literally my first time posting here, which you would know if you read the OP.

Does it have to be an image of me? How about the walking stick I just bought?

It would be great if it's you and the walking stick. Maybe even a dapper pose with your hat on?

Autism: the thread

has to be you with a timestamp

if you don't post that then you're obviously trolling and you don't want the jacket

Can someone please post the image why you shouldn't buy anime looking clothes?

It says stuff along the line of "you're not an anime character" and I think it's somewhere in the sticky.

idk man name another artist with bowie's level of mainstream popularity and universal adoration who was as influential and critically acclaimed in so many different areas. he was really kind of in a class of his own imo

im actually starting to think it might not be, dude is persistent

see , im really only talking about the art behind the music, or i guess everything combined? im not comparing them at all sonically, more on a level of overall image/presentation. i dont think its at all an overstatement to say gerard way is the bowie of [spoiler]emo[/spoiler]

you haven't said one word about music yet

when you blather on about how great bands are... people are going to assume you're referring to their music. you know, because they're bands

I don't have a hat (yet) aside from work hats.

And I don't like taking pictures of myself.

Timestamp is fine, but I don't take pictures of myself.

Evidently though Veeky Forums is a bunch of Veeky Forumsggots. It's like everyone's almost as bad as /b/ these days.

Surprised someone hasn't tried telling me to post a pic of my dick yet.

I've seen it if that's why you want it posted. here it is though. Not doing this for anime though, and most anime shit looks like shit to me anyway. I prefer something old english or old west styled most of the time.
Here's the link though, I don't feel like downloading and reupping it for this trollzone.

Unlike most newfags around, I'm not a newfag to Veeky Forums and actually read the stickies. Just new to Veeky Forums. Found Veeky Forums before I bought the jacket I'm looking for again for Moot's sake...

Forgot link because a text distracted me. tuxbell.com/images/8/82/Yeststylething.jpg

nowhere here have i blathered on about how great any of these bands are. i think you have a kind of dumb viewpoint of how to appreciate art. sure it helps that i like the music of all the people i've talked about so far, but theres plenty of artists that i think are interesting or can appreciate for reasons other than the music alone. i think thirty seconds to mars puts out gorgeous music videos and that jared leto is a fucking insane enigma of a human being and i can appreciate those aspects of the project and think about them even though i wouldnt consider myself a fan of the actual music

music is a lot more than songs these days imo

go ask cgl if you want to dress like a video game character (srs)
Other wise tone down the autism a bit

Not trying to dress like a video game character. I'm looking for a specific jacket that will be heavily modified and provided the only jackets that I could find in that vague direction.

Does noone here actually know what the fuck victorian goth or steampunk are anymore?

Also, for the people requesting a timestamp, this is what you get. It's shit because I don't have a good camera and I don't plan on getting one, it's from my cellphone. Also, don't have any natural lighting because it's cloudy as fuck so apartment light is what you get.

I thought you're trolling. Never worked at hot topic.

People are fucking with you because you seem to be the epitome of Veeky Forums. It's like if you went to /a/ and said "hello cartoons are for children"

>epitome
I don't think you're using that word correctly. If I were the epitome of Veeky Forums then I'd be one of the people trolling I suppose. For example being the epitome of /a/ would be a total weaboo who knows every bloody anime out there or something. Saying cartoons are for kids would be the antithesis of /a/.

The only people that should be wearing a trenchcoat, especially of that style, are people trying to cosplay their favourite video games and models
Sorry to tell you mate, but as much as we appreciate weird and experimental clothing here, theres a limit to that, and when we do like it, it's generally very high quality and well designed so it doesn't seem like you're actually trying to display you favourite video game character

I'm trying to modify something into a steampunk styled outfit. Not a character from a videogame or an anime or a model. In fact, the only character I can think of that would be even close to what I want on the formal side with this jacket is Chopin as he looked in Eternal Sonata and that's just victorian era finery. And hell, I don't even want half of this, just googled a pic and this is a bit too much.
>pic related is the only video game character I could think of that even vaguely resembles what I'm picturing in my head

I just wanted a specific coat to start from because I know what it felt like to wear it, and perhaps a bit of nostalgia for a more fun time in my life. Damn I miss those trade winds and the sea air. Note, the coat I'm thinking of only vaguely looks like the ones I posted. If I had a better one I'd post it. Going to google for just black trenchcoats and see what I get that aren't covered in baubles and shiny bits.

Antithesis, that's what I meant.

Sorry, english is not my native language.

Epitome is "the perfect example" for future reference then.

Pic related is much closer to what I'm looking for in basic appearance, what the final product might look like. Minus the belts though, steampunk is more about functional accessories not random decorative belts. If there are belts at all they will have a use.

And I may get one somewhere along the lines of this at some point for more formal stuff or when I can afford to have something higher end for the superformal stuff. This would be one I'd have to wear a topper with for sure, and all that that implies.

Perhaps something like this in a lighter material. That looks way too warm for my tastes.

I do prefer something longer than the last, more like an actual trench coat than just a basic long jacket. But depending on what I can find and what I can afford the final design may change. Sadly I don't have a steady hand and my sewing is shit so the first attempts aren't going to turn out well. I'm hoping to get something halfway in the direction I want to go so I can at least give someone more skilled a good idea and they can custom design it.

ngl this shits dope bloodbornecore if you're tall and skele enough to pull it off

but yeah op you're really better off somewhere else, effay is pretty much retarded outside the rick owens general, and they can be pretty retarded as well (granted theyre a pretty polite and helpful bunch on the whole)

Please don't mate, all of this stuff looks hideous and tacky
The reason you are getting the reaction you did is because you don't seem to understand the limits of what is socially acceptable, if you want to wear this stuff for whatever reason you have then go ahead, but don't not expect to not get laughed at like you did here
And I'm not saying high end stuff designed like this will be any better, it's just that high end designer fashion is styled much more tastefully

yeah fashion is probably like 10% garment quality 20% looks and 70% styling stuff well and dressing the occasion

dont wear a fucking top hat to pretty much anything its not the 1800's

It's hard enough trying to figure out how I'm going to set up masks with glasses lenses, trying to set up the glasses is also the trouble.
>bloodbornecore
Is this what it's called these days? Geeze. I am tall but I'm trying to loose weight lately, some bad habits added some extra around my waist. Thankfully I can get away with it if I wear baggy clothes but I need to slim down for this stuff.

I'm not going to wear this shit on a day to day basis. I'm not trying to wear this shit to the mall or wandering around town or something. This is for concerts, events, conventions, low end masquerades. That kind of shit.

That's the bloody point. Masquerades expect flamboyance, hell some even have specific dress codes (the 007 charity one I wanted to go to for example includes military dress (without mask for military protocol) or 007 tuxes or at the very least formal black evening wear).

I'm not getting a damn everyday jacket, I'm not spending the money and time to custom cut and style a jacket to wear on a daily basis. I have a damn nice black London Fog jacket that I got for under 20 bucks at a thrift store that is damn close to a perfect fit that I can wear for the "normal" nice clothes stuff.

>steampunk
>hot topic
it's not 2005 anymore

stop trying to dress like morpheus or some shit

/cgl/ would have been a better board to post this on

well this has been the weirdest thread in a while

seconding this op try cgl, wouldnt be surprised if they have a /steampunkgeneral/ or something. i also think theyre less mean than effay over there? but yeah good luck op this definitely isnt the place for you but i hope you find what you're looking for

Steampunk has nothing to do with '05. Also, Morpheus isn't steampunk or hot topic material.

OP also said it was a jacket he bought in '06.

well why didn't you tell us you were cosplaying

Dressing up in specific styles isn't particularly cosplaying. Masquerades use plenty of styles depending on the theme. Also, something like this would be easily welcome at Dracula's Ball (though I don't remember if they allow masks or not, even a domino mask might not be allowed considering the crowds)

>Does noone here actually know what the fuck victorian goth or steampunk are anymore?

>cosplaying
>Cosplay, a contraction of the words costume play, is a performance art in which participants called cosplayers wear costumes and fashion accessories to represent a specific character.

Unless you're trying to represent a character it doesn't count as cosplay. If you are dressing up just to dress up, no matter what theme it is, it's not cosplay unless there's a character involved.

If I was doing say "steampunk Neo" or some shit, that's still a character. But that's not what I'm doing. I'm just designing an outfit with victorian goth and steampunk styles in mind. Primarily to wear to special events, but these events might be outside or warm or cold so I am trying to make something relatively reusable and suitable to different environments as well as cheap so if it falls apart I won't be too upset.

ur arguing semantics dude, its basically for a costume. tangentially fashion related but definitely not our area of expertise

Regardless of costume or not the whole point of this thread was seeing a specific jacket. Then it was derailed by assholes trying to look cool on an anonymous image board.

get it custom made. i've known a few guys who were into such things when i was in university. every single one of them had it MtM, or bespoke, or whichever word applies in this particular situation

That's likely what I'm going to have to do eventually. But as I can't draw worth a damn either getting my thoughts across are going to be hard if I don't at least have reference images of what I'm trying to do. I'm not even settled on a final design yet either so I wanted to experiment a bit and try out different things.

Though I suppose I did learn one thing. I learned how to really rustle the jimmies of a board I've never posted in before (or hell even lurked in). It usually takes a decent amount of lurking and experimenting time to figure that out. Thanks for the lesson Veeky Forumsggots. (people that tried to actually help can decide whether that term applies to them or not, but these days everyone on Veeky Forums is called some sort of fag anyway so whatever)

If anyone actually feels like chiming in about the jacket I was looking for feel free to do so, otherwise I don't see the point in posting here anymore. I'll go back to rewatching Scrubs until I decide to sleep untill work.

No my guy, I feel like every board requires a solid amount of lurking before posting. Veeky Forums is especially vicious for the transient poster. You're asking us to help you find something so unbelivably tacky that most people just think its bait. Tbh its probably just bait. On the off chance it isn't, just try to get a nice top coat and look like you're off the spectrum.

I seriously think OP has Asperger's. This shit is ridiculous!

First pic remind me of the on hell raiser wears

dont know if this is b8 or what but cop this and youll be the freshest on leddit
ysl.com/us/shop-product/men/ready-to-wear-coats-classic-70-s-military-coat-in-black-wool-and-nylon_cod41650321jl.html#section=men_fall_winter

OP is likely short, fat and ugly. A coat like this will only exaggerate these traits.

OP said he was tall implied excess belly fat. Could be a lie. The dislike of pictures implies he is definitely ugly though.

> b-but spending lots of money means i'll objectively be stylish... r-right?

Unless he's bent over in his timestamped photo I do not think he's particularly tall.

>But as I can't draw worth a damn either getting my thoughts across are going to be hard
not for a professional tailor
it's pretty much their job to understand what you want by your words

other than that, lurk up some goth clothings on aliexpress, or check if there's goth-related stores in your city. eventually something close must appear

or thrift some military/navy trenchcoat and have it customised, that's what i'd do if i'd need such coat