Worked in a high end boutique

>worked in a high end boutique
>worked for a designer
>owned a shit ton of crazy clothes
>just chilling and probably going to do my own thing now

ask me anything you want about clothes / design and i will answer. only rule is it can't compromise my anonymity (i'm no one famous but i'd rather not have some crossboarder sperg spam my linkedin because fuck fashion xDDD)

Other urls found in this thread:

ssense.com/en-ca/men/product/raf-simons/black-down-oversized-coat/1601773
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What's the one trend that you had to peddle, but wanted to go german on it on the inside?

How you feel about male furs?

the store i worked in wasn't commission based so i didn't have to peddle shit. it was also more of a conceptual store so it didn't deal with trends.

but the trend that i think is the lamest right now are that retarded side zipper john elliott / public school thing that every hoody on the planet now has. it's fucking stupid and doesn't do anything.

uhhh im gonna assume you mean men wearing fur and not male furries but this is Veeky Forums so im not sure but im gonna go with the former.

its cool as long as you go all the way. if you're gonna do fur your look better be opulent as fuck. i don't really agree with the advice that if you have something crazy you need to wear it with all basic shit. i think if you have something crazy you need to wear it with more crazy, that's the only way to make it look normal and not forced.

Who are your favorite designers?

womens: ann demeulemeester
mens: hedi slimane

Shoes?

why do you think you are so cool and credible for "owning a shit ton of crazy clothes"

the way you type makes me think you are just a little pinoy hypebeast

aaaand into the trash goes the thread.

there is a lacoste in my city that has part time job openings, but im a social autist, dont dress in the sort of #menswear they push and i have no retail experience. should i go for it? how bad is working retail like this?

some type of SLP chelsea i dunno the exact product name

its not cool its actually stupid i just put it in there in case anyone had questions about designer digs because i've handled a stupid amount of product and can tell you plenty about it

>a little pinoy hypebeast

lol

feel free to debate me on it homie

every retail job from urban outfitters to gucci is just folding t-shirts and making fun of customers right after they leave the store. your autism might hinder you in the interview but not in the actual job, i find autistic sales associates fucking everywhere all the time. also how you dress doesn't matter for any retail job especially higher end ones because they're not going to pay you the type of wage that you can afford the clothes. also no retail experience can be seen as a benefit because they train you from the ground up and don't need to worry about you keeping any bad habits from working in other clothing stores. go for it if you want i dunno. retail is chill if the store is decently cool (no clue about lacoste seems 50/50) but if you end up with cool people its easy and fun.

what other designers do the same thing hedi does with the male silhouette, trimming it down excessively?

I don't really know a lot about other designers, but that was the one thing that drew me to him. I'm just curious to know if anyone else takes it to that extreme, or what people who came before him did

I'm 6'3 and want to do runway modeling can u recommend a diet/workout and who to apply 2 thanks

lad musician, number (n)ine, the soloist, nicolas andreas taralis, some margiela, some raf simons, some rad hourani, some todd lynn.

those were the go-to's between hedi at dior and hedi at yves but ultimately each of those is really their own thing.

What were your previous jobs before your job at the boutique?

google modelling agencies in your area. look at their requirements (there's more to it than height) then once you know what you need i guess just start working from there. weight wise you may be under or over their ideal so obviously i can't give you much advice from here. also im not a nutritionist or anything so there's that too.

once you're within their ideal (and you should be within it since they have a ton of people to choose from) just apply with whatever they require (usually a face shot and full body pic). you can take that just with your phone they will know from that if you're worth pursuing (and if so they would bring you in and take slightly more professional photos which would be passed on to someone higher up who makes the call).

main thing is 1. you're within said agencies ideal and can maintain such 2. you have a bunch of free time, the more open your schedule the more they can book you the more money you can make for them.

also you don't really get to pick if you get booked for runway modelling or not if you're trying to break in you shouldn't be turning anything down or that's a sure fire way to get dropped. usually you have to build up a bit of a portfolio first. also the agency makes a difference if you want to do runway aim for an agency that does that type of stuff. if you live outside a major fashion city you might be out of luck though if you're talking about doing runway stuff that would end up on style.com

ask me a fashion question homie, you really care that i had a paper route when i was 14?

what are your favorite poorfag items

what are some cool new designers doing cool shit right now

whats youre opinion on current trends and what do you think is gonna trend in the near future

also what level of designer did you work for was it like a big european label or fashionw eek participants or just a smaller designer

and what have you learned the most from working for them and in fashion

how can i start working in fashion i think the marketing side would be interesting

No. I care about the path you took to get your awesome jobs. As someone who would love to work for or be a designer one day.

kirkland brand basics

>what are some cool new designers doing cool shit right now

no ones doing anything cool, i hate almost all new designers, waiting for someone to really fuck shit up

>whats youre opinion on current trends

they're shit but also trends are always kind of shit. i don't look at them as something cool i look at them as locking down something i normally like and not being able to wear it for a year or two until that trend falls off

>what do you think is gonna trend in the near future

90's nostalgia is going to morph into 00's nostalgia
peak techwear is gonna happen
all grey fits are going to hit hard

>also what level of designer did you work for was it like a big european label or fashionw eek participants or just a smaller designer

independent label that's stocked in high end conceptual stores (lookbooks and occasional presentations but no runway)

>and what have you learned the most from working for them and in fashion

stuff you think will sell wont and stuff you don't think will sell will (this is the cause of 75% of the whack shit out there it's designers firing in the dark and hoping they hit something)

>how can i start working in fashion i think the marketing side would be interesting

apply to small stores / brands that have an international presence. they're punching above their weight and always need good people / have a hard time hiring and because the company is small and ambitious you'll have an opportunity to do lots of different things. the bigger the company the more specified your role is at the biggest of companies you could come into work every day and literally do 1-2 things for a single department and that's it. if you land a job that lets you do a lot of stuff its the best springboard to other industry jobs. once you get a decent name on your resume the doors swing pretty wide open and you can go just about anywhere you want, it's a small industry.

Peak techwear is the greatest phrase I've ever heard on this board

paper route -> graduated high school -> went to fashion school -> worked in a museum gift shop -> graduated fashion school -> got a job in a boutique -> got a job at a designer the boutique carried -> moved cities and now just chillin

i think you could take out most of that, in retrospect none of it really matters you just need to show that you have the capacity to learn and that you're a hard worker. that's all bosses care about fashion industry or not.

are you still working in the industry right now? do you ever wanna start your own brand or would you rather work for a good established brand

doing some interviews (i lined stuff up before i moved) but also thinking about just doing my own thing if i can find a good studio space. id work for a brand again its fun.

>all grey fits are going to hit hard

Lunar Intensifies

why is hedi a hack

this, please answer op

He listed hedi as his favorite designer

whats hedis next move?
where do ppl in the industry frequent? like do they go to insta to connect? Veeky Forums? a fucking coffee shop? just tired of my boring friends and want to meet more interesting ppl. already live in paris part time if that helps

i dunno what you want me to say.

hedi understands how clothes should make people feel. very few designers actually understand this. they focus more on the technical and artistic elements of clothes making and forget that at the end of the day someone actually has to wear what they make. in their minds the clothes come first (particularly making crazy, unique, unwearable shit to satisfy their egos) and the customer is an afterthought. these people get critical acclaim because they are offering something "new" which is what critics crave.

hedi on the other hand doesn't care about satisfying critics or creating something "new" just for the sake of satisfying his ego. instead he creates wearable clothes that slim and elongate the body. he has a desire to uplift his customers and make them feel comfortable with themselves. at the end of the day people just want to feel sexy and so many designers have lost sight of this.

that's why i like and respect hedi so much. i don't think he's a hack at all. the hacks to me are the scores of designers making unwearable shit that gets tons of critical acclaim while no one wears it except fashion students that buy it at the 80% off it regularly drops to.

>whats hedis next move?

he fought for his non-compete clause and won so he's not doing anything except photography for the next 2 years and that's a guarantee.

after that people are saying chanel menswear but i have serious doubts. the only reason he did ysl was because pierre bergé personally asked him and he just happened to be one of the only people in fashion that hedi owed a debt to (got him his first big break at ysl river gauche).

the only thing hedi cares about at this point is total control. he wont go back again just to have the type of arrangement that made him leave dior and ysl (only being allowed to do the clothes and not much else). if chanel will give him the reigns the way they have given them to karl than it's a possibility but if they expect him to just do mens and stay in his lane he will just keep doing photography forever.

>where do ppl in the industry frequent?

stereotypically "cool" bars, restaurants, and coffee shops. i dunno how to meet people outside work / school im the kind of person to stay in a relationship so i can avoid having to go out.

1. favorite pair of shoes you own?

2. what do you think of the influx of diy streetwear brands in vein of supreme/bape/palace being so successful?

3. opinion on vetements?

why do u h8 rick u plebe

but you can make nice clothes that people want to wear without recycling the same cliched 70s rockstar vintage clothes thing every season, people dont make new things to satisfy their ego, they make it to push things forward, if you do the same thing every season then it is going to get stagnant and boring, just like saint laurent did in its last shows, no one actually cared about the clothes anymore, they only cared about the reactions critics would have to it
the only reason saint laurent sold so well is because hedi is an excellent business man, he was able to sell this prepackaged ideal lifestyle of something a bit alternative and edgy to the large group of people that want to stand out and be a bit unique and artsy, but are too scared to actually go all the way and actually live the lifestyle the clothes they wear would suggest because they would get shunned for not conforming to what everyone else thinks
half of the garbage he sold was recycled vintage clothing designs and stuff you would see from photos of the rolling stones and alike
i can respect him as a very smart business man, but as a fashion designer i cant take him seriously

>hedi on the other hand doesn't care about satisfying critics or creating something "new" just for the sake of satisfying his ego

deadass considering his twitter meltdown after his first slp show was panned lol

there is a runway model for slp among other brands who posts here, usually he answers loads of questions about modeling and says he's helped people from Veeky Forums get into agencies, maybe try find him cos he'd definitely help, he's a cool guy

design some crazy shit and post it here right now faggot

i feel the same way about hedi but i hate having to choose between his wearable, flattering stuff and other designers' raw aesthetics. i wish more people did the two at the same time.

i want stuff to be wearable, but still i want to look like my soul is dripping all over my body. (that doesn't even make sense but i don't know how to draw a better picture than that)

>I worked in retail and own some clothes AMA

>ann d
>trash

get off this board now

Can you mention some of these 'unwearable' things
cause lot of really out there and weird pieces are actually really comfortable when worn which just makes them even better
the whole minimalism movement of 80s and deconstructing the shit out of everything was kinda like that but even then Rei was making shit that looked whack as hell and looked hard to wear but was apparently very comfortable when actually worn
I don't think you really have to justify liking something honestly but saying other designers do weird shit for the sake of it intrigues me as from my experience that is not really true

i've been working for uniqlo for three years as an assistant manager

what are my chances of getting in a higher end store?

ps. no fashion education

What did you learn at the fashion school?
Also do you mind telling us which fashion school this was?

he's obviously referring to hedi retard

is that beck?

I'm a male, 5' 10", 148-lbs, 27 years old. I'm not very fashionable, but just looking for advice. What kind of shoes should I wear with jeans? Also my butt is pretty flat, so my jeans always look gangster even when well fitting, is there something more flattering I could wear? Another user mentioned mens pencil pants?

like slim to none, you might as well be managing a super market

>1. favorite pair of shoes you own?

visvim foley folks

>2. what do you think of the influx of diy streetwear brands in vein of supreme/bape/palace being so successful?

this is worded hella weird, please clarify

>3. opinion on vetements?

it's hard to explain but there is a culture of people out there who i call "fashion fans" i'm convinced they don't actually really like participating in fashion but prefer instead to have endless armchair discussions about it. as a result of this they become extremely cynical and jaded. i would see these people come into the store i worked at sometimes. they were always young, effete, and looked like they came from a privileged background. they would walk up and down the racks and manage to find a way to talk shit about almost everything in the store. the only designer that seemed impervious to this was rick owens although i never once saw any of these people wearing his stuff. i think these people spent so much time being ironic, cynical, and deconstructing designer fashion that they robbed themselves of the ability to sincerely like and appreciate anything (with the weird exception of rick owens). as a result of this they essentially all wore a uniform of shitty "minimal" brands like acne mixed with old designer vintage gear and of course vetements,

i know you shouldn't judge a designers work by the people who wear his clothes but the only time i ever saw vetements it was on rich chinese girls or these types of people and rich chinese girls kind of buy everything. so i guess what i'm saying is i think vetements is for rich, jaded, petulant, ironic "fashion fans" who have convinced themselves that they're "above" everything else.

so i don't really like it and i think it looks kind of stupid too.

hedi slimane is hardly a designer
more of a stylist

i don't hate rick owens at all, i actually really like him but he's not my favourite designer which was the question i answered.

>but you can make nice clothes that people want to wear without recycling the same cliched 70s rockstar vintage clothes thing every season

you have to ask yourself why are these clothes "cliche" and why do people want to wear them so much. i don't like this idea of new for the sake of new. if you have an idea and it can only be fully realized through an entirely new design then that's fine. but if you want to make a denim jacket well guess what there is a time and a place where the modern denim jacket was born, grew, and reached mass appeal and it was the 70's. some things don't need to be reinvented.

>people dont make new things to satisfy their ego, they make it to push things forward

do you really believe this? not even in the realms of science are such thoughts so pure. even there you have scientists developing patents not because of a drive to "push things forward" but for money, fortune, and fame. that's science too, fashion is a thousand times worse. also i'm convinced it's impossible to actively "push things forward" look at any interview with any influential figure across any medium and when they're asked "did you know your idea was going to change the world / were you actively trying to change the world" the answer is almost uniformly no. it almost always comes down to the individual simply having a will to create and sometimes something more can arise from this.

>if you do the same thing every season then it is going to get stagnant and boring

explain to me brands that have done the same thing for decades on end and still aren't boring yet. there is more to clothes making than forcing new ideas down peoples throats for the hell of it. i don't know why this is so hard for some people to understand.

>the only reason saint laurent sold so well...

first of all you should know 90% of the people out there who buy designer clothes aren't aware of the designer, or his story, or even most of the marketing that a brand puts out. SLP sold well because someone would walk into a store, try on several pairs of black jeans, and those were the ones that fit the best and they liked the most. believe it or not when most people walk into a high end store they don't even look at the brand labels. so this argument of yours about hedi selling an idealized bohemian lifestyle is bunk. i know this can be hard for people on a fashion discussion site to understand but while everyone wears clothes the vast majority of people don't care about the label (even at the luxury level). what's significantly more important is the fit and how the clothes make that person feel. like i've said before hedi understands this which is why his clothes sold well. you have to understand his stuff was wedged in between the likes of givenchy and thom browne so is it really that surprising that he sold significantly more blue denim jackets than oversized graphic sweatshirts or shrunken high waisted pants? it has nothing to do with what you're talking about and everything to do with listening to what people want.

that's what makes him such a good designer, it has nothing to do with business acumen and everything to do with creating great clothes.

How much does your store actually pay for the clothing. How much does clothing cost to make. Can Rick cure cancer.

pretty damn high, manager might be a bit difficult to pull off (most of these types of stores want 5+ years experience but if you had more retail jobs before that it can add to the count) but you could nail sales associate no problem. just go look up some high end store job listings and im sure you'll realize pretty quickly that you meet all the requirements.

10 seconds spent on ssense and i found this:

ssense.com/en-ca/men/product/raf-simons/black-down-oversized-coat/1601773

just dick around on there for a minute and you'll see what im talking about. im not saying that there isn't room for this type of stuff but when people shit on hedi and then hold up raf as some paragon of what it means to be a good designer it just makes me laugh.

sketching, pattern making, sewing, little bit of draping and tailoring.

it wasn't anywhere famous but having worked in an atelier the skills used are the same everywhere

no its an Italian model i thought the same thing when i first saw it. if you reverse image search im sure you can find the models name.

dude im not answering this sorry, it's like asking the maître d' to get you a glass of water, im sure theres other threads that can help you in your quest

no he's chiefly a designer, i think you are getting designer and pattern maker mixed up.

in simplest terms a brand makes some clothes and they charge double what it cost to make. thats what they charge a store who then charges double what it cost to buy. that's what you pay for it. so working backwards a $300 shirt in a store would have cost the store $150 to buy and would have cost the designer $75 to make. that's roughly how it works but there's a lot more to it.

What designers would your ideal girl wear? Would it matter if they weren't as fashion-consious (like you mentioned in the vetements)?

>he's chiefly a designer
if you consider taking old items/outfits and ripping them off stitch for stitch "designing", then sure

What is the best way to "discover" fashion?
Another way to put it would be: where do you read fashion news and such related content?

I really like the way you think and your views. especially and You are very much the kind of person I expected on this board and never saw, please come back as many times as you'd like, I love to read everything you post, even though I'm not as experienced as you are.

Feel the same as .

OP please make an anonymous blog or something
Would subscribe and read every single post you write, genuinely interested.

Do you know of any nice brands that won't cost me a lot of fucking money? Any brands you like that a lot of people don't know about?

Second this.

What do you consider "good fashion" and "bad fashion"?
Can some fashion even be objectively bad?
Obviously not liking something does not mean it's bad.

Here you're saying:
>shitty "minimal" brands like acne
But what exactly makes acne and vetements shitty (and possibly bad fashion?)?

through other figures who are not involved in the fashion industry directly. imho

Probably one of the best threads I've seen on Veeky Forums this year

OP you still here?
Please don't abandon thread yet!

>toasting in le epin bread

Where you from OP??
You fit the description from a place I went to about a month ago.

Guys, don't let this thread die.
Keep it alive till OP comes back.

well if op ever comes back

>how important is networking to get anywhere in fashion

>is there anywhere else worth going besides NYC to get into it

>how was your journey to get the job working for a designer. like how much networking or time put in somewhere etc if that makes sense. or did you just apply.

I'm planning to go to a shop in NYC and talk to the owner since I'm genuinely enthusiastic to be a customer for the brand and would love to work for him in some way.

bemp

bump

>these people spent so much time being ironic, cynical, and deconstructing designer fashion that they robbed themselves of the ability to sincerely like and appreciate anything (with the weird exception of rick owens)

THANK YOU for saying this. You can also throw in people who are never critical of Carol Christian Poell into this mix as well, i'm so tired of people who so blindly follow this particular circlejerk of archival tumblr blogs (most of whom happen to be Veeky Forums spawn) and turn up their nose at anything that isn't part of the stylezeitgeist aesthetic. Yeah, certain designers are pushing boundaries more than others but in the end clothes are clothes are clothes are clothes. More fashion people need to realize it's okay to enjoy things for lighthearted and superficial reasons every once in a while.

bumpan

>You can also throw in people who are never critical of Carol Christian Poell into this mix as well
eh, I never really see anyone discussing him or mentioning his stuff and really most of the stuff he does is pretty great
like it feels like it's really acquired taste for the lack of better word and is the kinda designer that gets either love or hate
i mean there are fans of of most designers that like whoever they enjoy pretty blindly but then i've never really discussed with people like this and listened their reasoning behind liking stuff that I find just weird or bad
what do you mean exactly with this?

Hey OP, what do you think about Gucci recently?

no czech model called Milos Lukacek

Not OP but Gucci is the peak of the current 70's trend. Certain pieces are interesting but it's none of it really looking to the future.

Perferct for rich & trendy ppl to hop on to. Clothing that's reflective of their mood and attitude.

A stagnant aesthetic overall, but who knows, maybe mainstream fashion will actually go in this direction.
I doubt that I or this board would ride along; we look for other answers...

gucci is the future right now, soon everyone is going to be doing opulent as fuck maximalism. cap this post

what do you base this on?
considering the cultural climate on the west I highly doubt it

. what do you think of the influx of diy streetwear brands in vein of supreme/bape/palace being so successful?
>this is worded hella weird, please clarify

Not that user but in regards to this, but what I think what that user is trying to ask is what do you think of the influx of brands starting up out of know where and gaining some to little hype, (Think Anti Social Social Club, and Bianca Chandon)

Also what do you think of all these kids on reddit etc. trying to start their own streetwear brands.

I think that's what they were trying to say.

My question for you is since you like Hedi what do you think of Enfants Riches Deprimes?

trend reports forecasting agencies, general dialogue of fashion in the last ~4 years resulting in a shift back to history

tldr

>2010-2012ish bloggers and street style photography blow the fuck up into the mainstream
>fashion fags wearing really outlandish shit just to get photographed
>it becomes uncool to dress in a way that says "hey im into *FASHION*"
>coincides with some designers doing subtle sophisticated minimalist shit
>coincides with black / white meme trend
>coincides with le minimalism trend
>all of these things get watered the fuck down to a checklist of visual elements lacking in any frame of reference of which they originally were founded upon and become shit memes at the end of their cycle
>some other gay shit like normcore and rap-rock streetwear happens

>movements naturally arise as a response to this boring bullshit
>complex / new visual language of styling ex. vetements et al, jw anderson and pretty much every new london / european brand / creative
>gucci heads alessandro michele
>MORE IS MORE BITCH
>madman doesnt stop
>keeps digging back into historic elements that are super authentic to him cuz thats literally his lifestyle dude lives in a fucking medieval village and collects antiques and shit
>wales bonner wins lvmh prize this year, opulent as fuck designs
>people getting tired as fuck and uncertain of modern day bullshit, want to confide in historical things that have lasted the test of time

idk it might just seem more like that to me cuz thats what im into and im focusing on so the scope of how influencial this movement is may be biased and blown out of proportion but im def. seeing it more. people are tired of lazy dressing, it's gonna be cool to actually care now and make an effort and demonstrate that you are well versed in the codes of dress beyond what you've seen on instagram in the past 2 years

>coincides with some designers doing subtle sophisticated minimalist shit
Nah
It just doesn't suddenly swing to the exact opposite of what was 'cool' year ago
And you better fucking show me those forecasting agencies cause I've not seen anyone forecast this kinda stuff
In a way it's definitely happening but it just seems really marginal trend. Shitty economic climate just doesn't have people in the mindset to look flashy and 'luxurious' like that. People want to feel safe and in a way conservative, simple stuff and nostalgia is what is selling and what will sell for some time for now.
Fuck, the whole sportswear and sports inspired stuff being so massive right now can be traced directly back to the economy being in the gutter because of 2008.

i never said itll be huge in the mainstream, i pay attention to what goes on within the industry. alot of "fashion" people and industry insiders may adopt this approach but it's not going to trickle down to mall tier stuff, it's too advanced for the average person into clothes to try to attempt or consider

im just down for it cuz i care about what goes on at high levels in the industry because thats where i wanna be eventually someday and i dont really care too much about the rest

Damn, so much truth in one single post

What do you think of his last collection in SLP?

bump

jil sander?

2gay4me