Greek rebirth but no Roman/Latin rebirth?

The Greeks, long since united under Rome, fought for self governance from the Turks.

Why did the Italians, long since united by the Romans, and more importantly the Romans/Latins not fight for reestablishing the Roman identity? Why not Italy as a whole?

Was Rome really just a "pope" city?

Maybe because Italy did not become completely irrelevant after the fall of Rome and had more to it than muh heritage.

Well, Italy was part of the HRE

The greeks had a monolithic and alien entity ruling over them, the italians ruled themselves, or at worst were part of HRE

Only like half of it

> Italy did not become completely irrelevant

You mean 3 cities and a guy did not become completely irrelevant. Venice, Milan, Genoa, and the Pope. Now guess which of those 3 border actually important kingdoms.

Because Italy was set up in a way to survive the fall of Rome. It was one of the best developed lands in Europe. By that I mean they had more towns than the rest of the old Empire did, and their towns most importantly had churches and walls. I'd argue the walls being the most important part.

From having so many towns with walls that could be governed by their mayors or their local bishops, each town grew it's own little identity over the years. Barbarian kings came and went in the Italian penninsula and so the Roman identity faded.

Anyway that's the basis for it. The Roman identity for the common people, if you wanted to argue that they felt one, was soon replaced with a Tuscan identity, a Napoletian identity, etc.

Gothic wars killed off the Roman identity pretty badly, and the Vatican cancer in the middle of Italy prevented it from unifying earlier.

It's all the Popes fault. For millennia he did all he could to prevent a united Italy and now he's trying to destroy not just the Italian nation but all of Europe. Catholicism not even once. It's the destroyer of nations.

Please shut the fuck up and stop spouting shit you clearly know nothing about

>3 cities
Implying that having three important cities wasn't a huge deal in the Middle Ages

"Roman" was not an ethnicity.

Also, the modern Greek language at least reasonably resembles the language of Ancient Greece, whereas modern Italian is quite different from Classical Latin.

Turks and greeks aren't that different matey

>please stop saying fact that hurt my feelings

It's going to be alright, your mother will soon let you suck on her saggy tit to make you feel better, user.

I'm actually from Rome and people here are proud of their past

Carry on, glorious Roman.

>Gaius Julius Caesar
>Not the 1st emperor

wtf,,,

He was Dictator for Life, Not Emperor

He functioned as an Emperor except for in name

M E M E S

>no woman emperor
TRIGGERED

we don't know how many of them identified as a woman though

hadrien, anyone?