/ww1/

World War 1 thread

Why were anzacs used in the gallipoli campaign?

Maybe cause they where used to the desert. Just a random guess

They were worth less

Of all the waring countries which country had the best leader?

I heard that it was not just ANZACs but also French, French Colonials, British, and British Colonials (including the ANZACs). I've also been told there were so many ANZACs because the Germans were keeping the British occupied on the Western front. Plus the ANZACs were total badasses.

Who is that a pic of? I’m really bad at faces. Is it Wilhelm ll? Anyway, my vote goes to Edmund Allenby.

>It was all his fault

>WWI
>posts image of doughboy shadows

It is like posting French soldiers for WWII threads, the fuck are you doing?

>Doughboys
>They all have enfields

If you're talking about Gallipoli, one group that gets overlooked a lot is the Irish. There were a lot of Irish troops at Gallipoli as well.

correct friendo

They were in Egypt for training before being deployed to the western front, wrong time wrong place.

I'm literally almost certain willy had autism, he acted like a manchild /r9k/ poster constantly

Germany had such a good looking uniforms. I would have enlisted just to wear one of those.

Just buy it and dig a trench in your backyard.
Don forget to buy a m98 w/ bayonet.

No boots?

The Americans did use Enfields though.

Definitely a toss up between this guy

You are now aware that the vast majority of Pickelhaube helmets used before and during the war were made from leather.

ww1 best war

You are now aware that the vast majority of Pickelhaube used now are in South American

While I agree it's not fair to overemphasize America's contribution since it was mostly a eurocentric war, USA still fought for 2 years and supplied the allies heavily for the majority of the war.
>Inb4 USA turned the war
No, we didn't. Britain's blockade would have eventually choked Germany.

People always overplay the military impact of the US in WW1, while completely ignoring its economic importance. Everyone and their grandma knows about US boots on the ground AND Lend & Lease in WW2, but few people realize just how important access to American markets and capital was for Britain and France in WW1 - already before the US entry into war.

lads im looking a pdf of a post1917 field manual that contains the 'normal formation for the attack'
i can only find badly parsed or formatted snippets on the internet
or even a plaintext or html version, just something that's complete really

Read some of Guns of August earlier this year and from what I gathered, Wilhelm II started the war because he wasn’t Edward VII’s favorite.

The problem with Willy is that in addition to his "autism" (or rather a difficult to comprehend behavior of a member of high nobility sometimes far detached from what we might call common sense) is that he ultimately was not the head honcho, in many ways Germany was already a military junta, or at the very least the officials wielded actual power, not him. People see he's the emperor and immediately make the connection with him calling the shots, when in fact you had the chiefs of staff or the ministers basically having their way regardless of Wilhelm's wishes. That's how you end up with the peculiar and clashing image of him basically wanting war but not wanting it at the same time. It's rather zany, he was partly a villain in the build up to the war but a tragi(comical) one as well, unlike some of the outright hawk military men who were almost cartoonish in their "we must strike NOW!" approach.

This guy will never cease to amuse me

>start a war over a shitty little country
>tiny country only has about 1/8th the population of mighty Austria-Hungary
>Conrad invades
>Gets absolutely stomped through Guerilla warfare
>This happens twice

Then he gets assigned to fight in the East

>start an offence against the Russians
>takes place in the mountains
>in winter
>against the Russians
>exhausts most of his men and equips them with summer clothes
>Gets stomped by the Russians, more than half his men dead due to attrition
>he tries it again
>twice

He even admitted himself that if Archduke Ferdie were still alive, he'd have Konrad shot for incompetence.

Don't forget the winter offensives in the Carpatians were to capture the mountain passes and relieve 150k men in Przemysl. He lost 800k men.

>Marshal Putnik ordered a full retreat south and west through Montenegro and into Albania. The weather was terrible, the roads poor, and the army had to help the tens of thousands of civilians who retreated with them with almost no supplies or food left. But the bad weather and poor roads worked for the refugees as well, as the Central Powers forces could not press them hard enough, so they evaded capture. Many of the fleeing soldiers and civilians did not make it to the coast, though – they were lost to hunger, disease and attacks by enemy forces and Albanian tribal bands.[25] The circumstances of the retreat were disastrous. All told, only some 155,000 Serbs, mostly soldiers, reached the coast of the Adriatic Sea and embarked on Allied transport ships that carried the army to various Greek islands (many to Corfu) before being sent to Salonika. The evacuation of the Serbian army from Albania was completed on 10 February 1916.
>The survivors were so weakened that thousands of them died from sheer exhaustion in the weeks after their rescue. Marshal Putnik had to be carried during the whole retreat and he died a bit more than a year later in a hospital in France.
>tfw no movie about the Serbian front

And this guy

bempink ww1 thred

yes sorry.. and underpants.

They were the closest to the area.

They even have the wrong enfields, kek.

I believe it was Germany's blockade that was fucking up the British at about the time the U.S. got involved. You know, the whole unrestricted aspect of their submarine warfare. Although the naval convoy was a pretty good counter to it.

I would really like for someone to make an incredibly bleak, sad, gritty movie of this. In a similar style of There Will Be Blood.

Are there any great memoirs written by Soldiers fighting on the Eastern Front?

Italy and Romania join WW1 right at the start honoring the triple alliance, could that be enough for Germany to reach Paris early in the war?

The submarine warfare has never done a real damage to Britain. At first it was very scary(as it was in WW2) with some pretty disastrous loses but then when they've developed tactics, camouflage and started convoying their ships properly the only thing it did was luring some screens(namely - destroyers) out of the Grand Fleet blockading the country which may have helped Germany in beating it if the British didn't have enormous numerical superiority.

You believe wrong. It was literally the other way around.

Reaching Paris? Doubtful, the Franco-Italian border would have probably turned into a stalemate even sooner than the actual Italian front did (or the Western front after the Race). The Germans were overextended during their push to Paris, that's what had done them in. Not a lack of Romania. I don't see it affecting the long term end result either because anywhere past 1914 you have a war of attrition and materiel in which the allies have the upper hand.

I know for a fact that the British were almost to the point of negotiating a peace treaty when the Americans joined the War