Why did they prefer it thick in the past?

Why did they prefer it thick in the past?

Were they all high test knights trained from infancy to lift heavy pieces of metal and swing them around?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=INF9r5jju0A
youtube.com/watch?v=lK6wOG_aDl8
wikihow.com/Tie-a-Noose
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

they didn't prefer it thick. the women in your pic aren't that fat, they just aren't anorexic

>

and?

Because women are supposed to have a higher body fat % than men to be considered healthy...

Venus was never fat. Just look at all the ancient sculptures.

People had less food so fattness were a sign of wealth.

They painted whoever paid for picture and if you can afford that shit chances was that you aren't dying from hunger.

>why did they prefer it thick
>mildly chubby, would still be attractive today
>even back then this is definitely fatter than they were generally portrayed

poor people were skinny because hunger, rich people were fat because loads of money

Thos women are all inside the average in mediterranean proportions.

yeah, and? men aren't supposed to have pot bellies either. Notice that male models today also have WAY lower body fat than female models, even larger difference than in actual nature. Male athletic models can be down to 5%

being fat was always unsightful.
A modern day kind of fat was pretty much unheard of back then. this is a fat people meme.

the more cushion the better the pushing

things haven't changed that much

I didn't mean modern day fat, I know that didn't exist... I mean "fat" as in overweight, like in OP's picture

It implied wealth and status of I recall correctly, though those women are some of the larger I've seen in older works. Most were relatively slim if I recall.

>It implied wealth and status of I recall correctly
no, myth, based on a few finds of fertility goddess statues that have never had anything to suggest that they were considered sexy by contemporaries.
look at lots of people of status portrayed there, all fit.

but those women aren't overwieght, they just have a bit of visible body fat. how is being thicker than a barbie doll overweight?

>visible belly on the right
definitely a bit past healthy there.
and generally people at the time wouldn't be drawn with that much fat on them, so it wasn't normal even then. at least not for beauty standards.

But they're not even overweight.

yeah, they probably are. maybe not 25 on the american bmi, but a bit higher fat percentage than suggested for a female.

that's just because of how she's sitting. I'm really damn skinny and if I sit down like that I will have a bit of a pot belly

Well fuck me then. Good to see the fatties have even less of a leg to stand on.

Thanks user.

Just because they aren't photoshopped doesn't mean they're fat. You have a skewed perspective because of the technology of today.

The fleshly, Renaissance aesthetic was largely a reaction against the Medieval aesthetic, which was against fleshiness. Pic related.

That's a literal man.

>her face when

>"It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Ste- wait..."

The Christposting is one thing, but these attempts at humor are barbaric.

>attempts at humor

But Eve was a man since she came from a man. It's "woMAN". The abs reflect this masculinity of hers.

The atheism is one thing, but this autism is unbelievable.

You really don't need to keep your trip on when you're obviously drunk and just came to a thread to shitpost.

Good Christian poster.
Dumb """Christian"" poster

They didn't "prefer it fat in the past".

>"""Christian""
what kind of meme is this?

But thick isn't fat.

Is thicc fat?

I just told you to stop attention whoring.

But some men probably did like fatties.
youtube.com/watch?v=INF9r5jju0A

Synonyms aren't mutually interchangeable words. If you think they are, I feel really sorry for anyone who has ever had to read an essay you wrote.

youtube.com/watch?v=lK6wOG_aDl8

Nah, you said I'm shitposting while I'm just showing you that fatties weren't viewed as ideal. The depictions of Venus throughout the centuries make this obvious. Sorry OP but you're just an adipophile in denial.

Women then simply didn't excercise.
They didn't stuff themselves to show off how much food they could afford, they just ate a mostly "normal" amount of food and never did shit to build muscles so they were flabby.

This is fat AND beautiful.

>They didn't stuff themselves to show off how much food they could afford
But that's wrong you fucking retard.

You are shitposting, I'm not OP, and you cherry picking statues and portraiture proves nothing.

I don't really care about who's right, I just don't like you and I thought I'd let you know.

>posts a painting from titian
>calls others shitposters

How the fuck is fat? She has zero stomach flab and slightly toned ab muscles

Good job, you've learned how to not trip.

Maybe next you'll learn how to tie a noose:
wikihow.com/Tie-a-Noose

>You are shitposting
no u
>you cherry picking
Show me 1 (one) post-prehistoric pre-renaissance sculpture which depicts a fat woman as ideal beauty.

Are all the images in cherry picked too?

keep cherrypicking

Like I said, I don't really care about who's right and who's wrong. I just don't think that posting hand-selected examples of art really constitutes an argument.

I'm just criticizing your approach, not picking sides.

Well the only better method I could utilize is doing a statistical analysis of depictions of women in various time periods which I'm sure as hell not doing for a Veeky Forums thread. few examples of fat women have been posted in this thread and they have all only been paintings and have only been renaissance or later

>not liking historical fatties

but they were so qt

They're fat because they've got fucking guts and they have zero muscle tone.
They are dumpy and overweight. It's not evil modern beauty standards fucking with me, you must be blind if you there isn't a huge middle ground between "barbie stick figure" and those womens bodies.

What do you consider thick?

It seems pretty fucking obvious, doesn't it?

1. The wealthier class has the luxury to eat more. Eating is healthy, barely eating is not. Soft and chubby people means their food storage is well stocked which means they are of the wealthier classes.

2. Soft and chubby girls are seen as more homely, and pampered — this has always been desirable because women like this make better mothers than Amazonian pseudo-men, or it is at least viewed as such (with good reason).

3. Art has always been about idealizing and reverence. It's doubtful to me that artists and those who paid them to work were always ignorant to the fact that by idealizing a condition that is somewhat the norm (the norm among the wealthier classes at the time) you continuously raise the psychological well-being of those people because you imbue in them a sense of godliness towards their selves.

4. To expand on 3, I also doubt that they were always ignorant of the fact that higher intelligence often means you have less time for physical activity. I mean, come on, it's just how it works. Of course you can be smart and still exercise / do lots of physical labor and be in shape. But typically, the ones who are highly intelligent (well educated, extremely well read, very experienced in the intellectual fields) will commonly spend less time in general on physical activity. So in a way, portraits with non-muscular individuals can also be idealizing or standing up for what is viewed as "higher culture" i.e. people who have more intellectual, or spiritual values, rather than physical and material ones.

>1. The wealthier class has the luxury to eat more.

Did they have stomach enlargement procedures back then?