When/where did the idea of medals and military awards start?

When/where did the idea of medals and military awards start?

Do they really serve a purpose anymore? Have they been cheapened? This criticism of the "modern" system is from Col. Hackworth who led 'Tiger Force' in Vietnam:

youtu.be/QWJ0y6oiot8?t=480

Bloody hell. They would have had to put counterweights on the back of his jacket to stop him tipping over.

> A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Medals have always been cheap; it's difficult to ponder how they could be cheapened.

Shitloads of people hit on the idea of medals since the ancient ages. Top of my head, Ancient Egypt, China, and Rome had the earliest military decorations.

I think back in the day, a Bronze Star or similar valor medals were morale raising and pretty cool. However, as younger generations got less "enthusiastic" about wars (Vietnam vets especially) they had less of a meaning, which is why soldiers, marines, etc didn't have a hard time throwing them away, they represented something they wish they had never been apart of. Today, it seem like the U.S. army especially is too enthusiastic to give them out. Maybe if they changed criteria a bit for being awarded a medal it would bring their value up.

This is fucking hilarious

Its shopped, they have a lot of them but significantly less on the original

It's human psychology, everyone likes awards and recognition.
Obviously communists took it a little too far.

Not really. Americans give a ton of medals as well. Its just not that obvious as Russians and co. wear them full size and Americans wear these little ribbons instead.

Everyobody loves the idea of achieving something in order to get a novelty coin, however, I doubt getting them was the motive for men who risked their lives in a lethal act.

>Medals have always been cheap; it's difficult to ponder how they could be cheapened.

Symbols are important, user.

Sure, but it's important that such acts are recognized and are SEEN to be recognized.

Roman military decorations were pretty sweet. The most common decorations were really simple, just gold silver or bronze ornaments like bracelets or necklaces, but we're still very meaningful. People respected every decoration, no matter the color. Then of course there were the crowns, which every legionary would've died to win except Romans didn't do posthumous decoration. The mural crown for example was only given to the first soldier over a besieged wall. I don't know, based on the sources I've read it just seems like military awards were less common and more valued, but the value also undoubtably had something to do with how much of a military society Rome was.

It's about A E S T H E T I C S

It just looks good and it makes you feel good about yourself when you're wearing that little piece of beauty knowing you've earned it.

Post some A E S T H E T I C decorations

I've seen this photo dozens of times, and I've only just now noticed that the young soldier is holding an instrument.

Crowe from the video

Why did commies like metals so much anyway? I thought they would be despised as too aristocratic. Or maybe the new commie elite wanted to play aristocrat

>When/where did the idea of medals and military awards start?

When warfare became more modern and "civilized', prior to that soldiers were expected to be rewarded with loot and most importantly land. However not only was this an expensive and increasingly unnecessary thing (ie you could rule via bureaucrats rather than aristocrats) but opportunities for it were also diminishing as the number of wars decreased whilst the size increased.

Medals and symbols then became a way of effectively rewarding soldiers by stroking their spooks.

There was basically one family of artists that designed British campaign medals in the 1800s: the Wyons.

How much ass did they kiss to get those medals?

>Or maybe the new commie elite wanted to play aristocrat

Problem with communism right there. You aren't actually getting rid of Bourgeoisie scum, just replacing them.

>Why did commies like metals so much anyway? I thought they would be despised as too aristocratic.

When they reorganized after Barbarossa the Soviets reintroduced some of the old Imperial traditions and culture, like 'Guards' units, for mostly patriotic/morale reasons.

George Washington created The Purple Heart.

Napoleon I created the Legion of Honor.

I don't know about any medals earlier.
Men could receive titles for service to kings.

Enlisted men could receive gold coins as reward for heroic duty.

Napoleon is reputed to have said, "It is with such baubles that men are lead."

>Combat infantry
>Ranger
>Airborne certified

Gg no re

Hackworth is a badass