Is stoicism just another self-help meme?

Is stoicism just another self-help meme?

>is X a meme?
Why do you kids feel like you have to touch and spoil everything with your greasy doritos fingers?
Grow up, live life, actually read a fucking book not some greentext wall on Veeky Forums, then come back.

Yes, complete trash philosophy for pussies
>typical stoic
>I fucked your wife breh
>I'm not even mad

Stoicism was ancient Mindfulness: corporate spiritualism devoid of everything that makes religion meaningful in people's lives and repackaged as a coping mechanism.

Stoicism never spread throughout the masses. It was for people rich enough to afford the luxury of restraint

>muh priviledge
Epictetus was a slave you dumb fuck.

no

everyone is rich enough to afford the "luxury" of restraint from bad deeds

But Marcus Aurelius sure wasn't smarty pants

>everyone is rich enough to afford the "luxury" of restraint from bad deeds
You obviously never known hardship

And which one invented the fucking philosophy?

Here is another question, what school of philosophy is Stoicism directly evolved from and what was the income of the level of the guy who invented it?

>You obviously never known hardship

That's the most canned phrase that you can use against any argument.

>I spend all my money in consumerist shit and that's why i need to work like a bitch to keep buying said shit

Proabably not for everyone, but Marcus Aurelius needed that shit to help cope with trying to keep the Empire together. [spoiler] The Roman Empire would have been better if all the Emperors followed Stoicism. [/spoiler]

>Epictetus created stoicism

calling something a meme is completely valid, it's just internet slang for frivolous/flavor-of-the-month/inane things

It's a canned phrase for canned moralizing

don't worry son, you'll graduate soon and find out what the workforce is really like.

All moralizing is canned.

Feel the Marcus.

Maybe you should try it for yourself instead of taking the opinions of memesters.
Both of those things are so untrue I am certain that's not a genuine opinion born from knowledge but from lazy ignorance.
No, Zeno of Citium founded Stoicism and he wasn't known for his vast wealth and privilege. He was originally a student of the Cynics which definitely wasn't the philosophy of the elites either.

David Duke looks like he forced himself to look as white as possible, he only has to dye his hair blonde to be complete

that hair is blond

Stoicism/Buddhism threads always bring the mongs out

No, it was at one time one of the most influential philosophical schools in the world, a primary competitor for both Epicureanism and Platonism.

You should read into it, they had some really interesting ideas about human psychology, epistemology, the nature of reality, etc. As for the self help bit, yes that's part of it, but a major function of philosophy is, and always has been, teaching people how to live better, more fulfilling lives.