Be Tercio

>Be Tercio
>Fight in the first and most dangerous lines for my, my country's and my king's honor
>Be literally invincible
>Finish off some dirty french/German/english troops
>FeelsGlorious.jpeg
>Come back to the nearest town singing with my comrades
>Drink/Fuck 'til falling sleep
>Repeat

Life will never be as good as it was in the Old Tercios.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dMEnBHef96c&index=1&list=WL
mdsz.thulb.uni-jena.de/sz/index.php
amazon.com/Thirty-Years-War-Documentary-History/dp/0872209393
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopoldo_O'Donnell,_1st_Duke_of_Tetuan
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Be Tercio
>Lose the Netherlands
>Lots of inflation

HOLLAND HOLLAND HOLLAND

>being a pikeman with no shield

post antiquity europe will never cease to amaze

>implying a shield will stop a charging cavalier
>implying a shield will stop a bullet

t. traitors sea jews

>being a pikeman with no shield
>post antiquity europe will never cease to amaze
Because its not the pikeman's job. Its the Rondello/Targeteer, armed with a bulletproof rondella/target, sword and pistol.

>implying a shield will stop a charging cavalier
That is the pike and musket's job
>implying a shield will stop a bullet
Of course it would, if you carried the right shield.

They were the first line in a pike formation for hundreds of years, acting as the melee defense and counter offensive.

Why does Veeky Forums always suck so badly at history?

Except they weren't.Nobody else was using shieldmen at all, and the rodelleros themselves were phased out of use fairly rapidly.

Plate curiasses do the job better.

Fucking Wallonian pieces of shit.

>Except they weren't
>Nobody else was using shieldmen at all
Except they were, Especially the Spanish, Italians and English.

Hell, the English RAMoA still drilled and equipped them until the late 1650's, with the Order of the Target Argent being formed as an award for targeteers in the 30 years war, where they were used to great effect.

Wrong period.

The first time a Tripfag isn't actually a fag.

England took it too far, it seems. The mainland slashed and puffy style was quite nice, why do the Brits look like a bunch of turkeys?

I got yer tercio right here buddy

Gropey is consistently good. He's a Veeky Forums tripfag who actually works at museums and does HEMA and shit.

>be Tercio in Rocroi
>"fuck fuck we're about to lose"
>Enghien raises his sword
>think he wants to start another attack
>shoot
>Frenchmen are pissed off
>"well, we WILL lose"
>get shot/stabbed/french'd

I recall reading some story about a pikeman commander during the 16th/17th centuries who was part of a battle that saw more people dead within one day than any year in the Vietnam conflict. The commander made it out with 64(?) wounds, and didn't even have any form of PTSD, even went back to fighting, IIRC.
Anyone save the capture?

Sounds like pseudo-historical nationalist Veeky Forums wankery

I saw a webm that showed the Push of Pike posted a few weeks ago. Two tericos approached each other and then began jabbing at each other when they got to stabbing range. Meanwhile, a bunch of guys in light armor and armed with knives were running around under the pikes, pulling people out of the enemy formation or trying to kill an occupied pikeman or two. Can anyone post it or post sauce?

Probably this: Alatriste, a Spanish film about the 30 Years war starring Aragorn
youtube.com/watch?v=dMEnBHef96c&index=1&list=WL

D'aww, thanks.

Those are Dutchmen.

God that makes me twitch... That is exactly what targeteers were there to prevent.

Makes a great movie scene, but is shitty history.

>Because its not the pikeman's job
wrong
>Its the Rondello/Targeteer
wrong

hi gropey.

That armor is stylish, I always thought everyone wore a sallet with full armor plate gear.

Would definitely like to make this guy in Dark Souls 3 if I could.

>Gropey provides sources and works in museums
>user just says wrong and claims all other anons are Gropey.

Stay classy, faggot. Targeteers protected the pike and muskets until they were slowly replaced with more muskets.

>viggo mortensen speaks perfect spanish
is there anything this man can't do

That was my opinion too but recently I was talking about the movie with various spaniards and it wasn't perfect enough. Too "sudaca". Spanish speakers are very picky with the accents.

He hasn't posted a single citation buddy

>that dude saying "gabacho de mierda"

Every fucking time.

Piss off. Gropes is tops.

The same could be said for any language. If an English character spoke with a thick American southern drawl around actors who spoke with London posh it would be distracting.

>The Royal Armoury Manual of Arms is not a source

Amerifat detected.

Im not your buddy, pal.

But I see australian and english actors constantly in american movies and they don't always represent english or australian people. I'm sure they have an accent, even if minimal.

For example I'm sure some spaniards would complain about Russel being Gladiator if, for some kind of magic, the movie was spanish and the actor argentinian or mexican.

He made a generalization and gave one citation, yes; but he hasn't given a single source. Why am I even arguing this, I have no stake in this argument. Also, stop sucking his dick so much

The Spanish actually Brought back rodeleros and the colunella great effect against enemy tercio, and it is a matter of national pride to the Spanish. Quit being a nigger just because a clown touched your peepee when you were a child.

Real fucking good citation there, did you forget the trip?

>get called out wrong be several people
>must be samefagging
Gropey doesn't post at this hour. Stay mad, user.
>inb4 im Gropey

Nuestras escuelas no nos fallan.
Read a book.

Maybe you should suggest one

Do you read Spanish well?

Maybe against kingdoms not against the spanish one, see the battle of Nordlingen.

And btw:
"The se early units were moving fortresses that could put up a fight on all sides; the pikes would deal with any incoming enemy horse (the shot units would hide between them for the duration) whilst the marksmanship of the Spanish harquebusiers and musketeers usually gave them the upper hand in fire-fights. But the waste of firepower and manpower in the deep-ranking escuadrónes became unsustainable after the Mauritian reforms which influenced military thinking all over Europe. The Spanish were the first to adapt though, initiating various reforms that have wrongfully been attributed to Prince Maurice, King Gustavus II Adolphus and other famous reformers. As stated in the excellent Osprey book The Spanish Tercios 1534-1704"

>two days old tercio thread
>noone has posted the Last Tercio painting

What a shame

gropey sure was upset today

Those are sallets son.

Says the samefag.

Rocroi.

End of the Tercio.

They're full of shit because viggo spoke it the way spoke it back then, and how the educated and aristocracy speak it in most countries today still.

Hey communist
What's a matter, got tired of shitposting on full/pol/?

>be Lope de Vega
>be the most proliferous writer in the Spanish language
>be the best writer of all time
>be nation-regarded soldier
>live in the most powerful capital of the most powerful empire during it's historical peak
>make Cervantes your bitch time and TIME again to the point that he avoided public live
>have Góngora and Quevedo, the biggest dicks in Spanish history, respect you
>be absolute womanizer that has several noblemen after your head
>repeat
Name just one person in history that lived life to such extent as Lope de Fucking Vega.

I was at work.

Primary Sources:
*Pallas Armata or Military Instructions for the Learned, Sir Thomas Kellie (1627)
*Four (edited) German Diaries from the 30 years war mdsz.thulb.uni-jena.de/sz/index.php
*The Exercise of Arms, Jacob de Gheyn (1607)

Secndary Sources
*Great Ages of Man: The Age of Kings, Time Life Books
*War and Society in Early Modern Europe 1495–1715, Frank Tallet
*Weapon: A Visual History of Arms and Armor, DK Books in conjunction with the Royal Armouries
*The Cambridge Illustrated History of Warfare: The Triumph of the West
By Geoffrey Parker
*The Thirty Years War: A Documentary History, Tryntje Helfferich

Well, fuck my ass. Props, clownfag.

Thank you

Thank you based clown.

>estar un tercio
>formar la linea y preparar para luchar contra los putos francos
>el hombre al lado de me está matado por una pelota de arma
>'no lo soy' empieza tocar

>Tryntje

puir sowl

Tryntje is fucking godlike. If you could only read one book on the 30 years war, his is the one.

amazon.com/Thirty-Years-War-Documentary-History/dp/0872209393

>Be me, OP
>Post this thread hoping to see some spanish-Tercio love
>No one replies
>Meh.jpeg
>Fast Forward 3 kinda rough days
>Come back to Veeky Forums to see what's cooking
>"Probably some otoman or roman/greek shit, maybe Stirner douchebaggery"
>Scroll down to see my trusty badass Tercio
>49 replies
>OHSHIT.MP4

I've read everything. From Gropey defending the Tercios ways to the Lope de Vega "have Góngora and Quevedo, the biggest dicks in Spanish history, respect you" pasta and the glorious mention of the Alatriste movie. No mentions of the books tho. Captain Alatriste is the most badass antihero to have ever been written.

Thank you anons. You made my morning, and by extent my day, so much easy to endure.

"Nunca temeré si va en columna el Tercio"

Just downloaded it on my kindle. Thanks anons.

You mean to say this:
>ser un terico
>formar una linea y preparar para luchar contra los putos francos
>el hombre a mi lado me está matando con su arma
>"no lo soy" empieza a tocar

he literally wrote like 500 plays. insane.

Act

was it common in spanish writers of that time to also be soldiers?

It wasn't just common, it was expected.
Check old paintings and you'll see that every man of science or culture had the "Cruz de Santiago".

>They're full of shit because viggo spoke it the way spoke it back then
>Viggo has an argie accent
>an accent that came to be from the massive Italian immigration long after the Tercios
No, no Viggo does look the part, no doubt, but he sound like Messi. Spaniards did not speak like that.
>and how the educated and aristocracy speak it in most countries today still.
Is this a fucking joke? Only people who speak like that are the Southern Cone of the Américas.

That or clerics.

Yeah. check out Garcilazo de la Vega.
I think the close relationship with death is one of the things that made the siglo de oro writers so great.

>make Cervantes your bitch time and TIME again to the point that he avoided public live

nop.
He saw it comming, he saw that he will be forever the second one, the trully goat fucked him hard in the ass with his only hand. Also Quevedo's butthurt produced by Cervantes is so epic.... Success breeds jealousy.

>literally wearing a shield strapped to his torso and upper legs

Or both, like Lope.

Did you both try to say it badly?

Soldiers and duelist, Quevedo killed a man during a sword duel. One of the reasons he used to mess with Gongora was indeed that, being a bon vivant and not a knight or man at arms

>being this dense
Half the thread was about this subject. Read before replying.

>nop.
He did.
Not being as popular doesn't mean anything in regards to quality of his work. People know Shakespeare more than any other English writer, but he is not the best.

Turns out, it was saves in my phone
He got 46 wounds, not 64

Por dios, chorizos, dejáme:

>ser tercio
>formar la línea y preparar para luchar contra los malditos francos (que se quemen eternamente en las llamas oscuras de satanás)
>el hombre a mi lado está matado por culpa de una pelota disparada desde las líneas francas
>"no lo soy" empieza a tocar

VIVA CRISTO REY

Weren't most of the "Flandes tercios" actual flemish?

Brutal

Everyone in Spain with some sort of status was usually a warrior or had a warrior background. It was regarded as the most noble profession armt the time.

The Spanish tercios,the elite,were just Spaniards and Irish. The least prestigious tercios were foreigners. Until Rocroi,the Spanish tercios were undefeated or close to it for over 100 years.

>and Irish
What?

Warfare has always been brutal.

I saw Alatriste and they called the Low Countries hell on earth, why's that?

Indeed, it has been documented that Lope de Vega wrote more than 1500 plays. He was called ''the Monster of Nature'' because that, and because the freaking quantity of illegimate children he had.

In Siglo de Oro Madrid there was this phrase: ''I believe in God in Heaven and in Lope de Vega in Earth''.

One day I should create a Siglo de Oro thread because the butthurt between authors is so lel.

Coming back to Tercios, El Gran Capitán Gonzalo Fernandez de Cordoba invented them when he kicked french asses and gave Naples to Ferninand the Catholic. He just added the new invented fire weapons to roman legion structures. It worked.

Soldiers or clerics. Or both.

Soldiers: Cervantes, Garcilaso, Quevedo
Clerics: Gongora, Baltasar Gracián
Both soldiers and clerics: Lope de Vega, Calderon de la Barca

There was also one Tercio maritime unit.

This was the one which battled in Lepanto with based Don Juan de Austria

Spaniards liked Irish. They were the only foreigners allowed to join the Spanish tercios. The truth be told I dont know why.

>España es mi natura
>Italia mi ventura
>Flandes mi sepultura

Tercios were recluited in Italy where they trained (and raped France armies for decades), then they went to Flandes.

They were invincible until Rocroi, still lots of soldiers died from injuries or illness. Add that to lack of payment because bankrupts (yet Tercios were truly profesional, they battled against the enemy and only after that they reclaimed their money)

Soldiers just went there to fight. On top of that in the period of the movie,it was a 2 front war,with France and the Dutch. It was basically a death sentence,as they were outnumbered and outguned,but they somehow still managed to kickass. That is why the prestige of the Spanish Tercios in Flandes was so high,and they are the most well known Tercios,even in this day.

Ireland has always had some kimd of impact in Spanish society. There was even an Spanish president/general from Irosh origin,descendant from one of the leaders of the old clans.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopoldo_O'Donnell,_1st_Duke_of_Tetuan

Lepanto Battle was so epic in all senses.

>Pope tries to build an united christian army against Turks
>Frenchs betray Catholics again and helps Turks because ''screw religion, I want the power''
>Protestatism being protestatism
>Only get Spain and Venice
>Based Juan de Austria
>Based Cervantes, fighting despise being ill and getting shot in his left arm
>Completely win against a bigger muslim naval army

Thanks for the quality thread OP

hello again gropey

So does anyone have a video or pics explaining the disposition of the tercio in action ?
I know they're picks and muskets combined but how are exactly disposed the men for fighting ?

Do the picks go first and musketeers fire from behind them or is it alternate ?

The
>holy
>roman
>empire
had to be dealt with first user. Based Soliman gladly helped our François and we regret nothing

>ywn be a Condottiero

Tercios didnt have the same formation and disposition,during the 150 years that they were active. At first they were born as way to counter France army durong the Italian wars,that was chavalry heavy. So the first tercios were born as purely antichavalry units,with use of gunpowder,which increased theough time, and pikemen in a square formation. There were also auxiliary units like Rodeleros,that usually crolled through the enemy's infantry cutting their heels with knives when they engaged combat.

Nice thanks. How are the pikemen supposed to effectively defend the musketeers from cavalry on your pic though

>Rodeleros

Damn that's nasty

Archebusiers usually hided when cavalry charged and they shots were made. They usually waited until cavalry was close to shot,and then they moved back. They also had their own melee weapons and were pretty well trained in that aspect too. Yeah,rodeleros destroyed the swiss pikemen in the Italian wars,as the Pikemen could do very little to them.

Why the hell did they use both archebuses and muskeets at the same freaking time?

It's probably due to the fact archebuses are lighter and cost less than muskets, but are still effective against unarmored infantry. Muskets are heavier and more costly but fire bigger shots

Because it's full of Dutchmen, aka swamp jews.

>snowniggers
>sandniggers
>forestniggers

Now swamp jews. What am I forgetting ?

>mountainniggers
>steppeniggers