Ancient China/Rome/Greece/Egypt

I'm wondering why no one celebrates ancient China the way they do Rome, Greece and Egypt

I keep hearing about how powerful and enlightened they were but I'm not seeing much to back it up
They didn't develop culture, systems, art, utilities or democracy like the others

And their military success was down to their vastly superior numbers

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_inventions
euractiv.com/section/innovation-industry/news/europe-lags-behind-us-and-japan-on-innovation/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>I'm wondering why no one celebrates ancient China the way they do Rome, Greece and Egypt
Chinks, nips and gooks do.

Several reasons.

One, Western people are going to care about things that happened in their backyard and directly effected their history.

Two, not a lot of people here read Chinese.

Three, communists aren't big on historical events that happened before the advent of communism.

Four, it was pretty shit honestly. China has always been shit.

Don't nips and gooks hate chinks?

>Four, it was pretty shit honestly. China has always been shit.
Dunno, there's a lot of war

They tend to downplay the influence that Chinese culture had on their own civilizations.

For fun, point out that basically everything in their culture is stolen from China.

Yeah, but you don't have a Herodotus to make really interesting histories.

It's all court scribes and shit.

>Didn't develop culture, systems, art utilities
I hope you're joking

>Democracy
Nobody except the Greeks did.

>Numbers
China was and always will be a global power. Highlight me those oh so amazing Egyptian military victories.

They hate them like a teenage girl hates her father.

>They didn't develop culture, systems, art, utilities or democracy like the others
Maybe not democracy, but they did even better: they developed what we consider modern states. Since the Enlightenment, our forms of government resemble Chinese political systems more than they do ancient Western ones. It's not a coincidence either, 18th century Europeans were enamored with Confucius and looked up to China as something to emulate.

As for the other stuff, are you serious? They excelled in all fields. It's just that we tend to attribute many developments in the West to the Greeks and Romans (rightfully so) but the Chinese developed the same independently, often earlier.

>>Didn't develop culture, systems, art utilities
>I hope you're joking
Not at the level of the others

>Numbers
>China was and always will be a global power
Due to size/numbers

What did the Chinese do that was on par with the Aqueduct or Colosseum?

Had the West not colonized North America, China would be the most advanced society on the planet. And they'll retake first place within our lifetime.

Egypt and Greece weren't even as advanced as Persia, let alone China.

Fuck off Chang

Yes, they did. They has a specialized hiearchy, mandate of the heavens, singlyhandly developed eastern philisophy and of course, the four great inventions. They have the second most unesco site for fucks sake. If they're not Rome's or Greece's level, then they're not very far behind and are objectively the second best culture behind Rome.

Yeah, have a problem with that?

I'm Japanese and we don't do that. We freely acknowledge the achievements of the Chinese since a lot of early early shit like the Heian was based almost entirely on Tang China.

Whittu piggus just don't realize how advanced East Asia was. The strength of the social, political and religious institutions, the highly efficient meritocratic bureaucracies. the crazy philosophies like Zen or Confucianism, etc. East Asian governments were ridiculously well organized. Westerners just rely on memes like democracy being the pinnacle of effective government or realistic sculptures being the pinnacle of art. East Asians could do the same, where are your tasteful wood block prints or advanced porcelain-making techniques?

>can't name a single work of art on par with the countless Roman/Greek sculptures and buildings

Even Egyptian stuff draws more interest

boring

>Whittu piggus just don't realize how advanced East Asia was.
Didn't stop you from being cucked by germanic barbarians.

The great wall and the tomb full of terracotta soldiers.

>I'm wondering why no one celebrates ancient China the way they do Rome, Greece and Egypt

They do. You just can't read Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or Vietnamese.

>The great wall
Literally just a wall, nothing artistic about it.

>tomb full of terracotta soldiers.
I don't think anyone finds them particularly impressive

>can't name a single work of art
They were literally mass-producing the sort of shit Greeks bragged about and recorded for eternity.
Like, the Etruscans were really proud of their terracotta statues but that's because they never went to China.

>The great wall
>Literally just a wall, nothing artistic about it.

And the Colosseum is just a bronze age wrestling ring.

>I don't think anyone finds them particularly impressive
Except for everyone who creamed their pants over them?

Sure, but it did help Japan and other Asian countries achieve parity with the West far faster than any other civilizations.

Your bigotry/b8 is showing

You're selling it short, it has columns and shit, it's an artistic design and that's why it's iconic

Now I have an excuse to post prehistoric Chinese sculptures.

>A wall
A fuck huge and long one at that. It takes time and dedication to make it. I can easily sum up the pyramids as just arbitary shapes or the colosseum as just a stage.

>Impressive
Thousands of figures stowes away in a tomb, how can you not find that impressive let alone interesting?

You also have many other things like the forbidden city but you're probably going to write it off ignorantly.

And the motherfucking Great Wall isn't iconic?

This isn't really representative of Ancient China, though. Isn't this from the Sanxingdui excavation?

Well sure, but you might argue art from the Orientalizing period isn't representative of Ancient Greece.

The Great Wall is on par with the outer Pyramids (the art on the inside elevates them)

The terracotta army is at best on part with sarcophagi
All that makes them impressive is the volume of them

They were painted lifelike too, which is probably even more impressive than the sculpture themselves when you know how expensive good pigments were back then (lacquer, cinnabar, azurite, malachite etc were about as expensive as gold pound for pound)

To be honest, Greek and Roman statues were painted too.

Isn't that a mosque?

What if it is? There are Chinese Muslims.

It just means it must be quite a modern building, not "ancient"

Except you found one of those Greco-Roman statues per temple and 10,000 Chinese statues in the tomb.

That's not to diss the West though, the marble is exquisite.

one greco-roman statue is worth 100,000 chinese statues

Just compare

There has been muslims in China for over 1500 years, mate.

b8

I know but "ancient" means 2000+ years, 1500+ at the very least

>comparing two hasty reconstructions
bruv

>comparing terracotta shit to godlike Greek sculpture

The reason why ancient China doesn't get celebrated is because China is currently shit and has been shit for a couple hundred years.

>I know but "ancient" means 2000+ years
Since when does "ancient" have a date associated with it? It just means "belonging to the distant past".

See

what are you basing that on?

In terms of advancement they had stagnated for a while and began falling behind

Militarily they fell to the Mongols just like everyone else

No it won't.

Ancient China was fond of bronze furniture and other large objects, here's an altar of sorts.

He's talking about antiquity.

They were falling behind because the West was industrializing really fast using resources from the New World. Without colonization, Europe would still be a backwards land more akin to the middle-east than to what it is now. Just look at what happened with Korea and Japan and multiply it by 10x to see where China is heading.

That's enough Age of Empires and Civilization for you, lad.

It most certainly will.

Chinese/Koreans/Japs are drones with insect like mentalities

They can't into creativity, they will never be #1

Japan and Korea are already stagnating. China is bogged down by a billion aging peasants. The incoming Age of Robots is going to literally destroy China because a billion people will have no jobs.

>Live in Eurocentric society
>Hurr why is Asia so useless and stupid
>Others list accomplishments in Asia
>Nuh uh whites did it better

Do you just like to shitpost or do you think its a job?

That's a possibility. We will have to wait and see.

it's not a /pol/ meme

The east is doing nothing new
They're just imitating the west but doing things cheaper or bigger

>The east is doing nothing new
what about VR Waifus?

So literally everyone else? China did cool shit in the past.

>what about VR Waifus?
and who is at the forefront of VR?

+1

/pol/acks are too mentally deficient to realize this isn't their board.

Companies that are between 20% and 100% asian.

Don't know. I'm not degenerate enough to be a gamer.

Occulus (facebook owned) and Google

>Oculus
>forefront of VR
kek
Facebook as a company is 36% Asian in the US.

>Google
35% Asian in the US.

What the fuck are you talking about, shitlord. Google and Facebook are too WHITE and we need more Afro brothers and sistas and Latinxs up in this bitch!

You're making that shit up

They're owned by kikes

>be Chinese
>lives in the West
>m-muh Chinese pride
>g-glorious China is gonna be the #1 superpower
>continues to live in the West

Asian diaspora are scum.

/pol/ please

Why is /pol/ trash so attracted to Veeky Forums?

>every promising Chinese IT graduate is offered millions to work in Silicon Valley
>"look at how backward China is, Chinks are genetically incapable of innovation"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_inventions

WE

Taipei and Seoul are by far the most fun and vibrant cities I've ever been to. Stay the fuck in Kansas fuccboi.

>paper
>wrapping paper

Using new technology for novel purposes is a legitimate instance of invention in the same way that the use of printed paper (which originated in the Song dynasty) as currency is an invention distinct from printing. paper, and money.

why?
- China's bad reputation with the west the last couple decades because of communism and repression and backing the North Koreans and North Vietnamese
- their minimal reputation in the west before that
- their bad reputation with much of Asia because everyone has had problems with them over their long history
- the isolationist policies they had for a long while and still have to a degree
- the language barrier-- spoken Chinese is a multitude of Sino-Tibetan languages, which are very different from Indo-European and Semitic languages, and written Chinese isn't alphabetic or syllabic like all the other major writing systems, which makes it harder to wrap your head around coming from some other system and necessitates way more memorization

even with all that, when people list great ancient civilizations these days, China is usually mentioned, it's just not often at the forefront or explored in detail

that looks like a clown's acid trip, I like the Chinese painted statues much better

The main reason why there are so few surviving Chinese monuments from antiquity is that, unlike the Mediterranean civilizations of Greece, Rome, and Egypt, the Chinese built their civilization out of wood, a far less durable material that is especially vulnerable to decay and destruction in the damp, flood-threatened lands that characterize the Chinese landscape. It is not surprise that after many millennia, hardly any of these wooden structures has survived the ravages of both environment and war. Nonetheless, recent discoveries such as the terracotta warriors, as well as historical accounts, demonstrate that ancient Chinese achievements in art and technology were comparable to those of their Greek contemporaries.

Japan's more creative than Europe at the moment and is probably second only to the United States, which has literally more than double the population.

Kek. Fucking no. Chinese achievements are due to having access to a near-limitless supply of slave labor (e.g. terracotta warriors, great wall, etc), while Greek achievements are the result of ingenuity and efficiency.

>Japan's more creative than Europe
no

well he should say China in antiquity then
normies get out of Veeky Forums, and reeee, and such

Greece was driven by slave labour just as much as China. Hell, they had a steam engine, but decided it wasn't worth looking more into it because slaves were so plentiful and cheap.

>near-limitless supply of slave labor

To be honest, I didn't even know this was a debate. Most Western academics rate Ancient China very highly to be on par with Rome, Greece, and Persia. In terms of technological innovation, they were pretty much equal to the Romans and surpassed them later since Chinese culture as a whole didn't collapse like Roman culture did.

I don't want to call /pol/, but the only reason one would have to bash Ancient China is due to contemporary Communist China which is pretty ridiculous on a fucking history board that supposedly isn't concerned with contemporary politics. Or you just really fucking hate Asians, I guess.

Spartan helots would satisfy that definition at the very least. Athenians had a massive number of slaves as well. In contrast, the only civilization in antiquity to abolish slavery other than the Persians was China under Wang Mang, in the year 9 AD. No Greco-Roman government contemplated wholescale abolition, and all the major philosophers of the classical tradition accepted slavery as a necessity of life.

euractiv.com/section/innovation-industry/news/europe-lags-behind-us-and-japan-on-innovation/

There are more big-name Japanese companies in the world, especially in the most visible economic sectors, than there are European ones.

Europe is living on its past glory. With the possible exception of Germany, it stopped innovating decades ago. In the past few decades, Japanese cultural and technological developments have had a larger impact on the modern world than European ones.

>Japanese cultural and technological developments have had a larger impact on the modern world than European ones.
such as anime and karaoke

woah thats cool ass shit