Picasso is dead, Walt Disney is dead, David Foster Wallace is dead...

>Picasso is dead, Walt Disney is dead, David Foster Wallace is dead, name somebody that you can name in the same breath as them… I am the greatest artist in the world right now.

Do you think he's right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Wod-MudLNPA
youtube.com/watch?v=6vwNcNOTVzY
youtube.com/watch?v=GC_m_5Ow7ec
youtu.be/5jdwhKRZuBw
youtube.com/watch?v=yoz0gaSBkgY
youtube.com/watch?v=5jdwhKRZuBw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ai Wei Wei

Of course not, he make subjective good music, not real good music

>Of course not, he make subjective good music, not real good music
Is there any theory or form of philosophy that can evaluate Works of art with some sort of rigid and unchangeable criteria?

For example: both Beethoven and Kanye West are musicians. Both produce works of art in the category of music. My very entrails tell me that Beethoven is superior in every way to Kanye West, and that even to put them together in the same sentence is some sort of indignity to the famous German Is there any theory or form of philosophy that can evaluate Works of art with some sort of rigid composer, but how can I validate my statement that Beethoven is superior to Kanye West? How can I use a philosophical argument to show: “this work, A, is superior to that work, B”?

If other people come to me and say that everyone posses their particular taste and that all tastes should be respected and that there is no way of saying that Beethoven is actually superior to Kanye West, how can I make a solid, almost mathematical argument that will show that Beethoven is superior to the rapper, or that Shakespeare’s poetry is better than Eminem’s efforts, for example.

Beethoven is just as shit as rap music, repetitive negro oogabooga music prone to emotional outbursts and lacking in substance.

Ode to Joy:

youtube.com/watch?v=Wod-MudLNPA

Gold Digger:

youtube.com/watch?v=6vwNcNOTVzY

Same tier. Obviously...

Repetitive backbeat motif, centered on text, sporadic, uncontrolled outburst of emotions for emphasis on text... Yes, I see no difference, total nigger music.

Now compare to a real composer like Mozart (underrated) youtube.com/watch?v=GC_m_5Ow7ec

Not same tier but "Gone" is a minor masterwork of 2Ks pop music, and Symphony 5 is a masterwork of Western Classical.

If you do insist on speaking this calumny brother I might have to get a malanky bit... ultra violent

edgy

stupid fucking nigger

youtu.be/5jdwhKRZuBw

He is a great artist, maybe the greatest, but the same can not be said of his creations.

Basically, seeing how Kanye acts, one may except that what he does is truly genious(not because he says so, but because of the fact that he is nothing but the artist), but it is just good.

Yep, the guy thinks he's Dionysus in the flesh but his music just displays an appreciation of aesthetics above most hip hop. Which is a particularly low bar. He well exceeds it, but still, there isn't anything too revolutionary.

Nah, I think his music is pretty shit. Lyrically lacks depth, beats are nothing to write home about.
He's normie music with the occasional edgelord fan looking for something deep without wanting to really explore anything.

Even within the pretty limited genre of hip hop he's pretty bad. There's at least 10 hip hop artists in Minneapolis alone that are more creative, relevant, thought provoking, and musically diverse than him.

>low-brows actually caring about lyrical content instead of the entire aesthetic picture

lmao, this is why kanye towers above you niggers

Did he actually name drop DFW? That alone makes me happy

Out of curiosity, what do you think of Beethoven's Late Quartet's fugue movement?

I think he's onto something, I've heard him speak off of television and he sounds like someone that has something to say. I think his outlandish behavior is the result of rejection by people who don't get what he's trying to say, being that someone so pop and commercial actually isn't some bland dude. I'm not to wowed by his music or anything, but it's definitely a far turn from a lot of other pop he's sided with by the general public. I think he really wants to be different, maybe it's just the result of someone already submerged in the Hollywood culture hanging out with the fancy rich snobby culture now that he's with the Kardashians. I think he sounds like someone begging for someone else to go "Yeah, I understand what you're saying" and that's all he wants is recognition for his work to be legitimate.

Maybe I'm totally fucked on this though lmao

>Mozart
>underrated

maybe I'm missing something. I don't want to be uninformed. or is this your attempt at pointing out the obvious

>muh croissants
>muh bleached assholes

Truly on par with the greats

this tbqh

art should be about presenting ideas and thoughts and emotions in ways that appeal and are interesting, not just being the coolest dude in your field.

of course this leaves room for people to run around the room screaming naked calling it art, or for one woman (who I read about in the local paper) who put an ad on craiglist for a man to come and rape her while she filmed it; then turned it into a film and said it was 'art about suffering'.

unfortunately there's no solid way to differentiate between what is 'good' art and 'shit' art, only subjective tastes. There are techniques you can criticise, and in this case his music is bland pop shit at times, but it also has good points.

tl;dr, No, I think he's relevant in his field, but if you have no interest in pop, hiphop or rnb as I am) he's entirely irrelevant. I am confident many artists would not give a fuq about his album covers. I am confident many fashion designers would puke over his clothing line.

"muh bleached assholes" is literally one of the greatest things i've ever heard in any music

he reveres Steve Jobs and Donald Trump and desperately wants to be like them

he's too full of himself. definitely not

Mozart is paradoxically both the most famous and most underrated composer of all time.
The same kind of rhythmic africanisms (he seems to have been very enamored with triplet against duplet patterns at this time) coupled with juvenile, unrestrained chromaticisms and registral changes (no doubt an attempt to imitate the effortless instances of such as in the great Mozart's late works) presented in unrestrained, barely formal works. Yuck!

>"bleached assholes" is literally one of the greatest things i've ever heard in any music

He was the prime of the rap game back when he came out with 'Graduation'. You can't deny the artistic melodies and themes of songs like Flashing Lights, Stronger, and Good Life. However, he's definitely changed since his mother died and now he tries hard to be "artistic".

If you want to see art in rap music, check out A$AP Rocky. LIVE.LOVE.A$AP has a unique vibe that you won't find in any other album. LONG.LIVE.A$AP had its own vibe as well. Listen to 'Goldie' and 'Kissin Pink'.

Mozart is the shittiest of all baroque composers. I wanna strangle his little twig corpse

A$AP sucks meaty dong

Here's some real art in rap music.

youtube.com/watch?v=yoz0gaSBkgY

Is this thread a test? Have we all failed? Can everyone please report this shitty thread

Did you post on the wrong board?

>History & Humanities
>Humanities
>Humanities are academic disciplines that study human culture.
>The humanities include ancient and modern languages, literature, philosophy, art and music...

mmm pasta

gold digger is really old. kanye wasn't nearly as much an 'artist' in the art world sense as he is now

there is one actually, it is called marxism:
>a work of art is as good as the effort taken to produce it
this is an incredibly good theory for art, fitting most of the examples. However, i am not pleased by it, and i assume no one is.
It also doesn't answer the question: What should i read/see/listen next ?

>rap
>art

This is like saying stand up comedy is art. There are certain standups that are artists, but stand up comedy in and of itself isn't art.

it's not even aesthetics my man, kanye is really more avant-garde now with the way he treats the expectations of pop song structure. there's no way life of pablo should be popular at all but people accept it because he's kanye. he's got the contemporary game wrapped around his finger, and i'm saying this as someone who doesn't even listen to his music

i don't see any painting

How is this man a great artist?

His clothing line looks like tattered rugs thrown onto models. His music may be good but there are plenty of artists today that are at his level in their own way. The only reason people keep calling him a genius and the voice of a generation is because he is saying it often enough that his gullible fucking fan base begin to believe him.

>guys I really know hip hop!
>listen to Kanyes worst album also listen to A$AP's worst album too!

Fuck you, listen to A.L.L.A and MBDTF, forget the hype around the latter and give it an honest shot

It objectively is

>His music may be good but there are plenty of artists today that are at his level in their own way.

there really aren't. maybe kendrick lamar is since he is doing similar things but overall no, the hip hop he is doing now is much more avant-garde than the rest, even though hip hop is in itself an avant-garde genre

listening to MBDTF the first time was one of the most emotional moments of my life. such an insanely beautiful album. i have tears in my eyes just remembering Lost in the World/Who Will Survive in America

>Mozart
>baroque

You fucking wot mate

But does different avant garde really equate to Mozart? Also does everyone else being shit make kanye quality or quality by comparisson? Death Grips are way more against the grain than Kanye should they be considered geniuses also? What loss me of about Kanye is his lack of humility and respect for the viewership to determine if his work is at Picasso level

it equates to mozart in the sense that the avant-garde is what is valued artistically since around the turn of the 20th century. it is relevant to our historical moment but mozart is not. this should be obvious by how the 'classical' tradition is all lumped in together

i'm not saying everyone else is shit but kanye (in my mind, but i know i'm in the minority when it comes to my opinions on art) is not just testing the audience by adding noise (from what i can tell of death grips, i've never thought of them as interesting) but he's testing the structure of songs, i.e. should a song continue undisturbed from start to finish? how many different 'songs' can be included under one title? the relationship between art and its frames of reference (titles) i think are an underappreciated avenue of the avant-garde and to see it happen in music -- especially popular music -- is something i thought i'd never see. artists rely too much on titles to provide the work something it lacks, like a description. but to interrogate that takes art to a level that, as far as i know (which is limited), was unresolved since around the 70s

>/classical/ memes in Veeky Forums
He can't keep getting away with this

I mean, you don't think at all that you're comparing Mozart to Beethoven using metrics that would rank Mozart favorably, rather than seeing Mozart as the paragon of a style that favored formalism and adherence to strict aesthetic standards, and Beethoven as a brilliant example of a precursor to a musical age that represented a movement towards extended tonalities, ludicrous interpretations of older forms and a richer rhythmic vocabulary?
Also:
>no doubt an attempt to imitate the effortless instances of [unrestrained chromaticisms (sic)] such as in.... Mozart's late works
Could you give an example of one of the works that Beethoven was trying to emulate in that piece? I can think of a number of Mozart works with a lot of chromatic passages, but none that I would compare to Beethoven's late quartets.

>Africanism
1) Is this a reference to that one Stockhausen interview where he accused dance music producers of using "post-African" rhythms? You're probably familiar with Stockhausen's writings since he had a ridiculous hardon for Mozart, as well, and you two have the same knack for making up words.
2) Are you suggesting that Beethoven had African influences? Because, moor memes aside, I would be very interested to see your justification of that.

>Veeky Forums autists wastes 4 years getting a music degree
>now that he's unemployed, he spends a bunch of his time listening to mozart
>at least he's well equipped to tell everyone on Veeky Forums their musical opinions are wrong

He definitely doesn't have a music degree, he's just mimicking how academics write about music very poorly.

I'm glad this was the first response. Most overrated shit currently being peddled as fantastic.

I know, I didn't even respond desu

Miyazaki
Wes Anderson / PT Anderson
Ennio Morricone

Diplo is a better at pop music right now

Who the fuck is this guy? See him everywhere.

thomas pynchon

zack snyder

Naw it's Grimes obviously

aesthetics is a branch of philosophy that deals with this stuff

Fuck no

Hans Zimmer

even if he is wrong it's alright that he says it. At least he is himself and not some fake personality.

I KEEP IT 300 LIKE THE ROMANS

Pynchon

Literally every popular rapper since '90s is complete and utter crap. So no, there are millions of better artists than him alive right now.

>Wes Anderson / PT Anderson
ok this is bait

That was actually the goal of the movie: ultra edge.

>everyone ITT

>capeshit

Probably his most genius line.

300 = CCC in Roman numerals

CCC = Cool, calm and collected

Genius.

whos in between mc ride and NMH?

Nothing but shitty "musicians" on top and on bottom
Dank

>muh white rappers

animal collective

>graduation
>worse than yeezus

baka desu

Who?

And here I was thinking he thought the 300 spartans were romans

What's a good musician to you,faggot?

Roger waters

He had 3/4ths of a music degree and then went on to do something lame like business.

I appreciate his memeing desu, good bloke.

I can't tell if the spelling mistakes are to signal bait.

animal did what now? xD

Christopher Nolan

>picasso
>greatest artist

I really don't see where Kanye West gets his ego. All of his music was made by other peole.

sure if you like whiny voices and ridiculous lyrics. in a decade or so people will look at kanye in a similar way to how they look at sean combs now.

>Pink Fraud

True, but he still directs all of it.

Kanye has said that he hates Gold Digger and that he only did it for the cash and fame.
A better example might be Blood on the Leaves or something.

youtube.com/watch?v=5jdwhKRZuBw

I really like his music, but he has a weird, almost autistic personality.

Why did someone add David Foster Wallace to that quote?

he's one of the greatest artists of all time?

he was good but duchamp was better :P

>no way it should be popular

Why? Half the songs feature some generic inartistic pop artist (Chris Brown, Rihanna, Weeknd, Ty$), he shamelessly utilises modern trap in a completely mundane manner (Young Thug feature but removing his verse, ripping off Panda, pointless Desiigner feature only there to promote him, Facts is a Jumpman remix, pointless Future tag only there for memes). Throw in a boring Kendrick Lamar feature for 'the art' and the living embodiment of cultural appropriation in the form of Post Malone and you get Kanye's least inspired album by far. Can't neglect to mention the pointless, short songs that sound like Yeezus-leftovers pre-Rick Rubin minimalism and the idiotic interludes.

Real Friends, 30 Hours and Ultralight Beam are the only good songs on that record.

My problem with Picasso is that his paintings are so similar.