Skincare General - /skin/

Skincare General

Everything related to skincare routines, products, acne, and grooming goes in here.

Wiki:
Skin care basics:tuxbell.com/index.php?title=Grooming#Skin-care_Basics
Acne treatment:tuxbell.com/index.php?title=Grooming#Acne_Treatment

Skinacea Links:
Retinoids:skinacea.com/retinoids/retinoids.html
Sunscreen:skinacea.com/sunscreen/sunscreen.html
Ridding dark eye circles:skinacea.com/how-to/get-rid-of-dark-circles.html

Veeky Forums skincare FAQ:
pastebin.com/PArDyf2G (embed)

Contents:
- Basic routine, skincare guide, and products tips
- How to pop pimples, remove blackheads and whiteheads
- Why you shouldn't use ordinary soap on your face
- How to improve your skin tone through diet
- Studies on how diary and sugars create acne
- How your skin is affected by sleep, sun, skincare ingredients

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ix4lAlAtScs
tuxbell.com/index.php?title=Grooming#Skin-care_Basics)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Can someone give me the details of accutane and/or other isotretinoin treatments?

I talked to my derm and got it prescribed but I'm kinda wary of all the different side effects and don't want to fuck up my body or psyche or anything the like.

getting really anxious about it and talked to a friend about it and he called me paranoid

so.... can someone endow me with actual pros and cons and perhaps experience and details on using it and the described effects/side effects?

So, after browsing one of the old skincare threads I started doing a little routine twice a day about a week ago.
First I wash with a white Dove beauty bar, then I moisturize with a small dab of coconut oil.
It's minimalist, cheap and easy, and thus far hasn't left my skin any worse, however I'm not sure if it's any better either.

My skin, to begin with, isn't bad. A little oily around the nose and a little dry under the eyebrows and sideburns, which tended to flake every once in a while.
After beginning the routine the flaking seems to have stopped, but I would also want tips on dealing with big pores and just blackheads around the brow/nose in general.

Keep it simple, or preferably even DIY, because most brands in the pastebin and tuxbell aren't available where I live.

I dealt with accutane for about 6 months, the part that is the worst about it is how drying it can be. My skin started clearing up after the first week, but your lips will dry out fast. They can prescribe some kind of gel/balm for that too like my dermatologist did. Or keep blistex or any kind of medicated lip treatment on hand at all times because if I forgot mine at home, my lips would dry and crack and it was painful. As far as everything else goes, I didn't experience any depression or changes in mood.

okay thanks for your info

what also put me off is that my derm told me
that excessive sport is not recommended which is kinda unaccomplishable for me

and that I have to avoid sunlight etc.

My skin is a lot better than it was before thanks to /skin/
Get the occasional spot, but otherwise it's good.
I'm working on making it more healthier (more sun - vitamin d - and other vitamins from fruit and vegetables)

I have a question about sunscreen. I've been applying an AHA when I go to bed, if I put sunscreen on in the morning, is it enough to protect my skin from using AHA, or will my skin become damaged even if I use a sunscreen?

Also if I'm using sunscreen on just my face, will I tan differently, like my face being pale while the rest of my being tan?

I'm using Biore Watery Essence, which I'm liking so far.

The FAQ is fucking bullshit, hot water actually doesn't open your pores, that's a myth

How can I get rid of red skin that appears after acne is gone? I'm using pc hydralight one step cleanser, 2% bha, neutrogena moisturizer/sunscreen if it's sunny. Also, how can I make my skin look paler overall (but still healthy)?

Microneedling

omega 3 fatty acids

acne is slowly going away, thank you based derm

>how can I make my skin look paler overall (but still healthy)?
youtube.com/watch?v=Ix4lAlAtScs
Like fish oil softgels, right?
>then I moisturize with a small dab of coconut oil.
Isn't coconut comedogenic?

Its been 3-4 days since I stopped shaving after I gave myself mild razor burn

time to try this again

I have no fucking idea, falamalam. I've been using coconut oil on my scalp and body in general for a while now and I'm really happy with it, so I figured it would be good for my face as well. I'll do some research on it, thanks for the heads up.

is this the right place to ask about psoriasis on the scalp?

>how can I get better skin without the right products

you can't.

honestly consider yourself blessed senpai. If I did that retarded routine you're suggesting I would break out in the worst acne of my fucking life.

The ONLY thing that is going to improve your skin (which sounds absolutely fine already) is chemical exfoliation. Research AHA's and BHA's, they are going to increase the rate of cell turnover and get that nice "glow" that you seem to be looking for

So i've been on this benzoyl peroxide routine for about a month, and now i have acne scars, no bumps. What should i do to get rid of it? I have oily skin btw

I've been on benzoyl peroxide for a month as well, but i haven't experienced any problems. It's actually made my skin alot better. I would try and use some Aztec clay for those scars though.

Yeah I have too, the bumps are gone, its just that i still have those red spots on my skin. Sorry if im not using the right terminology

SA/AHA to chemically exfoliate your skin now that you have it under control. I think AHA are the best for skin making it look better, while SA helps declog the pores.

So what would my daily routine look like to make my skin look better?

I'll look into the chemical exfoliants you suggested.
As for the other products, can you give me some basics on what ingredients to look for in a moisturizer? I'm sure there's good shit I can find locally, it's just different brands, seeing how I live half a world away from the US of A.

moisturizer gives me blackheads/tiny zits, but i want to prevent wrinkles/aging as much as i can

I'm 21, f, no acne issues at all unless i use moisturizer, and i use a charcoal scrub to wash my face, usually twice a day

what can i use to keep my face from creasing and stay young looking? retinol products?

i'm gonna get the pauls choice bha or whatever its called for chemical exfoliation but what should i do for the occasional once or so a week physical exfoliation? i'm looking for something that i can lightly exfoliate with. thanks guys this advice has been great!

god fucking dammit my skin is going to shit again

I don't have acne really, just leftover red marks and bumpy oily nasty skin fuck fucking shit

How do I get rid of those small pimples on my butt/thigh

argon oil

What's fa's answer to acne scars?

how 2 make my nose less oily? the rest of my face is fine but my nose is oily as fuck

How do i go about to clean dark acne scars from scratching and squeezing for sensitive skin, like super sensitive (thin skin)

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
or
Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser?
Is there any difference?

rosehip oil like the one from trilogy
start using weeds brush or hamam ritual, or any body peeling/scrub depending on what skin you have

as for acne scars sweet almond oil and collagen based face masks should work just fine

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser is less harsh on facial skin.

Who /sheetmask/ here?

Going to start accutane soon, I imagine that they'll be indispensable.

Did Accutane about two years ago now, dries the hell out of your skin. Got nosebleeds and crazy chapped lips :( but now I'm mostly acne free

any shaving cream recs for somebody with sensitive skin that is easily dried out?

for reference i'm using American Crew shave gel/cream and I think it'/ causing minor breakouts on the lower cheek area near the corner ofy mouth

any shaving cream advice would be appreciated desu senpai

Ditch shaving, use a trimmer without a guard.

Probably no one will remember me or care, but I am the girl with BDD and with PIE from an acne breakout. Posted a month of two ago.

Told my former dermatologist to piss off, went to a better one, and my skin is near perfection now.

Haven't seen that post, but I'm very happy for you.

Thank you, user. Have been through a psychiatrist and now I am terrified to go back to my previous condition. But I am becoming... Fine.

>drink lots of water
>eat lots of vegtables, fruits etc instead of meat and sugery shit

i have had like 4-5 pimples at maximum during puberty and now my skin is perfect. dont spend lots of money on dumb ass products

>Skincarefag here.
Wtf you can't exfoliate your skin so often. With this so called routine you are not only not gonna keep your skin looking young longer, but you acrtually harming it. First of all get youself a gentle cleanser, like foam or cream cleanser. Trow away your current moisturizer or use it on your body, and get yourself a water-based one. You can even use a basic aloe vera gel with no alcohol, and I would recommend E.L.F's moisturizer, it's cheap and have very nice ingredient list. Also read about spf, if you haven't yet. It seems like you don't know much about skincare and how skin cells works, the basic thing to learn is that you can exfoliate only twice a week. And oh my god, dont listen to that anons who recommend using oils as moisturizer. I love using oils myself, but you cant use it often, and oh god, when people will learn that oils can't actuaerly moisturize your skin. It's a bunch of lipids, there's nothing that technically can provide moisture, it can only lock the moisture in. You need to tone or moisturize your skin first if you want to use oils. And why you cant use them everyday, is because your skin will think that you already have enough oil on your skin and won't make natural oils anymore, which provides to dry skin. Also google korean skincare if you are so interested in keeping your skin looking young.

And girl, it's a very bad idea using retinol at young age. If you will look like a sack of potatoes in your 40's retinol wouldn't help you anymore.

same

I'm on Accutane right now, finishing up my 4th month. My progress has been slow, and it seems to only be clearing up very recently. I have a month or two left, depending on how this next month goes.

Side effects haven't been serious for me. Just the typical dryness of lips and skin, especially on arms, hands, and knees. The dryness was actually not bad because I used to have VERY oily skin.

Oh another side effect was that I would get nosebleeds almost every day for a time, until I started applying aquaphor to the inside of my nostrils.

Tbh you shouldn't be worried prematurely because you're gonna have monthly checkups anyway to make sure it's not fucking you up. Apply moisturizer and aquaphor regularly and don't listen to horror stories on the Internet and you should be fine. Good luck user.

Does accutane help with excess keratin production? My arms are covered in these stupid keratin plugs and my back to an extent too. Sometimes they get inflamed and I'd love to be rid of them.

Ok Veeky Forums, it's my first week of isotretinoin and I'm breaking out like a motherfucker. It doesn't really bother me but I have these nasty zits on the side of my nose and on the rim of my nostrils that hurt a lot. Every time I pop them they come back within less than 2 hours. Is there a way to get rid of them or do I just have to endure? Perhaps if I dried them with alcohol?

Also, what should I use to wash my face during the treatment? I have a soap from when I was doing external treatment but that dries my skin and my dermatologists suggested to not use that while on the medicine.

just wait, the fun is just starting.

Stop poping them.
It's Vitamin E that is overloading your skin.
Let it be motherfucker.

>On accutane when I still had gym in school
>have to do a running drill thing
>skin super dry
>thought moisturizer was for girls
>start sweating

my skin was literally on fire

>I would try and use some Aztec clay for those scars though.

You're a fucking idiot. Aztec Clay would do nothing for scars.

I have pretty severe Keratosis Pilaris, how much can I treat it? I know that there are creams for it but will it ever not be noticeable?

How long will it take to my tan fades completely?
it's being already 8 months and it's fading but it's taking so long... I'm scared I will never go back to my color skin

thanks. not me tho, can you answer this for me? also, is the CeraVe moisturizing lotion oil based? if so what is a good alternative? oh and do you think its okay to use the lighter PM version or is it just to light to use all day? i haven't tried them yet but i'm thinking the lighter PM version of the lotion for daily use would make my skin feel nicer, do you find this to be the case?

too*

i use a safety razor with barbasol, i'm very happy with my decision and it happens to be the cheapest option. i just do this but i really need a moisturizer so i'm gonna try out some from the recommendations from the OP

Okay guess I'm gonna give it a try

Thanks senpai

Use scrubs

i don't have any acne but have acne scars still. are there any effective ways to get rid of/treat them?

also should i be physically exfoliating weekly on top of chemically exfoliating?

I neither use products much, nor do I eat perfect, but I question why I'm polluted with blackheads on just my forehead. I do get occasional acne on the lower half of my face but the ratio at which it produces acne from Forehead to lower is vastly different. Why is that??

>tl:dr - Good blackhead product

>tfw alcohol is the only thing that makes my life bearable but binge drinking causes nasty breakouts which in turn makes my life unbearable

Does alcohol actually cause acne? I've always been told it does.

>you can't exfoliate your skin so often
>the basic thing to learn is that you can exfoliate only twice a week.

There's no scientific foundation for you to make blanket statements like those. Individual variations in skin tolerance to different kinds of exfoliation makes it pretty much impossible to come up with rules like that. The different substances/materials people use to exfoliate differs too much too, so it's more a matter of simply checking in with the skin to see what it is like. If the exfoliation causes red/dry/irritated skin, then it could be a good thing to do it less often/less aggressive. The resulting thinner stratum corneum is really not an issue, if one uses sunscreen and limits sun exposure.

>It's a bunch of lipids, there's nothing that technically can provide moisture, it can only lock the moisture in.

That's the fundamental property of what the body itself is producing to maintain water levels in the skin: sebum. A mixture of various lipids (and related compounds) to keep the water inside the skin and keep it soft and supple. Oils are fine to use on the skin, provided that they have the correct ratios of fatty acids and no comedogenic potential.

>And why you cant use them everyday, is because your skin will think that you already have enough oil on your skin and won't make natural oils anymore

The sebum production in the sebaceous glands are not affected by the amount of oil you put on your skin. There is no mechanism in the skin to check for this. The only hypothesized mechanisms are based on levels of trans-epidermal water loss. The other possibilities for regulation of sebum synthesis hasn't been evaluated yet.

is plucking facial hair good option? will it stop it from growing back?

my skin has recently been becoming very oily whilst I'm at work lads

I think it's because I'm waking up much earlier so I'm a bit tired but still

it's just an office job, forehead gets shiny and that

any ideas what could be causing it? how to fix it?

no

What do you guys think of the Clarisonic?

I'm about to buy the Clarisonic Alpha Fit (I'm aware the male version is just marketing) but wanted to hear from you guys first.

hello STHLM.

Exfoliate first or cleanse first?

what sources do you have on retinol being bad at young age? ive never seen anything on that

for me its opposite. face looks great day after drinking for some reason

are all the creams for anti ageing bs?
i'm starting to have wrinkles and it feels bad

barbasol made me break out unfortunately :(

exfoliate first

I used to break out after using generic shaving cream, switched to Nivea sensitive skin shaving foam followed by the post shave balm and it stopped. Though it might just be the fact that I used a moisturizer after shaving that stopped the breakouts so perhaps you just need a good moisturizer.

If only benzoyl peroxide manages to get rid of my pustules around my mouth/nose & chin, the cause of these is definitely bacterial, right?

drink water
stop eating junk food
sleep more
lrn2makeup

/thread

what is best to use to exfoliate?

Hi. I don't have acne or anything. I just wanted at thanks for the cetaphil recc. Best face cleaner I've used ever

cool i'm getting some soon. i don't have redness or anything you can see from a short distance, but when you get close you can see that i have bumps and my skin is not smooth. also it looks like my skin has open pores. what do you think can make my skin smooth and nice looking?

so i've been starting to not dry my face after i wash it (no soap). like just letting the water dry by itself, no towel or anything. will it do anything to my face ?

An AHA peeling may do the job. Or BHA, both would probably be overkill. Just don't (try to) pop them. In the best case you are left with a smoother skin for like two days and red patches. Worst case is you'll trigger some visible pimples or even suffer an outbreak.

same for me when i smoke weed.

What's the most efficient way to get rid of acne scars?

Would anyone be able to recommend me an exfoliant to purchase from amazon? I'm putting together a little buy list, and I'm kind of stuck on this. Thank you!

Interested in this, too. I've been using Daily Advance for ages, but I'm curious to know how much of a difference retinol makes.

this is just personal bro-science/personal experience, but binging on carbohydrates typically causes an insulin spike. I've noticed that when I binge a lot of carbs, I typically get some acne. So avoiding quick carbs might be worth investigating.

Anti razor burn treatment for my neck?

Does smoking cause breakouts or cysts?

AHA and BHA

Yeah, it will make your skin dry like a desert

not worth the money

Moisturize your skin, wash it only two times a day and don't use products with alcohol.

>Use cocoa butter
>It makes my skin soft all day
>Weeks of using it later
>It also makes my skin red and irritated

What gives? I had an allergy all along?

I applied apple cider vinegar for too long on my seborrhoeic dermatitis spot, now I have a slight chemical burn (the skin got whiter, now it's red)
I already washed it with water, is there anything else I can do? I have Vaseline and a moisturizer cream

Anyone know how to get rid of dark circles? I always seem to have them no matter my sleep (which i usually get the full amount) I have also tried doing green tea bags over the eyes and tomato too, nothing fucking works

I bought an exfoliator. The wiki (tuxbell.com/index.php?title=Grooming#Skin-care_Basics) says I should use it before going to bed. But I don't have an evening skin-care routine, should I exfoliate in the morning then, or still in the evening?

am:
cleanser
(shave)
moisturiser

body is covered in dark pigmentation spots from previous acne and eczema, wat do?
i did some research but im still unsure, retinol seems good but at the same time it increases sun sensitivity
i bought this palmers fade cream thing with hq and aha's and retinols and the whole shabang but it doesnt seem to have done anything at all

>skin isn't terrible, just a bit irritated but no active acne
>decide to try a face wash
>skin is now flared up, greasy, bumpy and have 2 white zits

This is good

you should:
exfoliate
cleanser
(shave)
moisturiser