WOMEN'S DESIGNER GENERAL

Let's have a thread about actual fashion, shall we?

>post pics
>talk about your favorite designers
>talk about your favorite shows
>trends you think will make a splash in AW17
>post cops (??? i dunno if there's actual girls here)
>modelfu-posting is ok i guess
People who don't know anything about all this shit are welcome! Start here: vogue.com/fashion-shows
Have a look around! Find something you like and talk about it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YiEZHu1CylM
m.us.missselfridge.com/en/msus/product/athena-floral-embroidered-boot-5704643
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Issey is probably my favorite designer so far, his pieces are always works of art.

I will post pics until I get some company and set a good example!

This look is from Alexander Wang's aw15 show. This picture gives an impression of a woman who's so rich she can wear whatever she wants- a fur coat thrown over some pajamas, with enormous boots just in case of any need to curbstomp a nigga like Ed Norton.

In addition, the pajamas and coat are both visibly of excellent quality- the texture, patterning, and (of course) the dazzling edges of the clothing alert the viewer to the excellent design and craftsmanship that went into producing it.

Also, the slouchy shoulders and cropped pants paired with the huge fucking boots produce a pleasing, balanced silhouette.

The more I learn about Issey the more I view him as the greatest designer of the 20th century desu

bitch looks depressed af, you right about the silhouette though pretty balanced

This look is from Dries van Noten's ss08 show.

This look has clashing patterns and styles, but the color balance holds it together. The exaggerated shoulders and arms, the tie, and the model's androgynous look make this outfit very masculine, but the pants and sandals exude femininity.

The exposed arm and leg reminds the viewer that the model is very slim despite the oversized clothing. The clashing belt is tied to the rest of the outfit with a necklace of a similar palette.

Overall, it suggests a disciplined military woman who loosened up somewhat during travels.

(please note: these are OPINIONS and you may state disagreements if you wish)

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

youtube.com/watch?v=YiEZHu1CylM

This thom browne show was posted in a thread months ago and is still one of the most creative ive seen

This is an outfit by Kurata Masutaro.

The most striking feature here is the alternating horizontal stripes across the outfit created by alternating the models pale white skin with the black pieces.

The outfit is serious, but slightly playful and sexy in all the right places. The generously exposed midriff is contrasted by the extra long sleeves. The wide neck frames the models soft and delicate clavicles.

The only use of color here is a striking red connection between the platform heels and lush lipstick. Drawing extra attention to key objects of sexual desire, feet and lips.

The pants are perfectly cropped to frame the shoes, and appear as though the models legs are much longer than they are. The gold detail stitching around the waist really centers the piece and brings attention to the otherwise dark and obscured pelvic area.

This outfit gives off the appearance of a young sexually confident woman who is waiting in a public place for her rich celebrity boyfriend to finish signing an autograph so they can continue shopping and being seen.

the game.

This look is from Damir Doma's ss13 show.
>navy and black
yes i know
It's mitigated by the fact that the two colors have very similar textures, creating visual unity. The sash and shoes add femininity, and the cut of the clothes and the appearance of the leather pieces create a suggestion of a feminine figure, with emphasis on the shoulders, hips and waist.
White sandals make it feel more like a spring outfit, I guess? I don't really like them but Mr. Doma is an internationally renowned designer and I am not.

that is a very cool show my dude but this was supposed to be womenswear

I'm not opposed to making it just a runway general though.

excellent meme i rate it 6/66

Outfit by SPISSERECT

This trashy looking thai street whore is actually wearing a cleverly put together outfit. Each part of this outfit has a matching complimentary counter part. The hair and pants, the white necklace, bag, and belt eyelets, the black/red belt and black/red bangles. The tube top hides her lack of breasts while also accentuating her thin frame. The scene rat hairdo somehow matches the faded black widow tattoo in a skeevy kind of way. Not to mention how the tattoo is placed next to her appendectomy scar in a playful and humorous way.

The background was also well chosen to tie in her blue nails, and again compliment the red & white elements of the bag and beads.

The outfit itself silently advertises her intentions without her needing to say a word - "Sucky sucky 5 baht"

well this is Veeky Forums after all.

It certainly is.

This is from Haider Ackermann's ss13 show as well. It presents a similar silhouette to the previous one, but this look places more emphasis on the leg by having MILES OF BREAK. The curved pleat emphasizes the shape of the leg as well.

The texture is the primary interest here, broken up at the waist and with the sheer underside of the vest, reminding the viewer that the clothes do indeed have form and the model isn't just wearing TV static. Masculine, but sexy.

>MILES OF BREAK
negative break, even

The belt adds a lot to the legs here as well. Hands in pockets also pushes the hips and pant legs out showing their width. Very nice.

Great yes

Greatest not even close

Who, in your opinion, is the greatest designer of the 20th century?

haider is based af
i want to sell all my rick for his

I am enjoying reading this too much to give my worthless opinion

thank you for having taste OP

Anyone know where to cop?

Gorgeous but no idea, sorry. McQueen, D&G, Gucci maybe?

This is Sarah Burton for McQueen. The light, airy, delicate dress and the butch, punk leather jacket are brought together by a flower motif and the complementary olive and lavender palettes. The slightly cropped sleeves, low neck, and the straightness of the dress create the impression that the model is very tall and slim with long legs.
And god damn that dress is beautiful just look at it

m.us.missselfridge.com/en/msus/product/athena-floral-embroidered-boot-5704643

Not really sure who i would call the greatest but rei kawukabo, yohji yamamoto, helmut lang,yves saint laurent, karl lagerfeld, jean paul gaultier, martin margiela, alexander mcqueen, and dries van noten are all designers i would rank as highly if not higher than Issey Miyake for their work in the 20th century and many on this list absolutely surpass him and with with their 21st century work

That being said he is probably my 3rd or 4th favourite designer the one thing i very much appreciate about issey other than his dedication to textile design is his consistency (at least in his womenswear) as far as i am aware he's never really had a collection like margiela's ss1991( iirc it was 1991, whatever the collection with the french children was anyways i digress) or a seance de travail kind of collection that has totally changed people's perception of fashion in such an absolute way

i view him more like dries van noten in that way constantly innovating and creating at a steady pace

A great designer to be sure but not quite the greatest in my mind

Where can I get super light wash skinny jeans for cheap? Up to $40, don't care about really high quality but something that won't fall apart after a few washes like F21. Levi 710 in mirror pond?

Thank you very much. I was hoping for something nicer but I appreciate it

I was gonna say, greatest is quite subjective
I'd put Helmut Lang at the top for most influential
Chanel, YSL, Dior, Rei, Margiela, Yohji, Balenciaga, and McQueen are all contenders as well
the list will also be different if you choose to look at just womenswear or just menswear

Yeah, I understand why you mistook them for some designer footwear. You should be excited though. It's not all about names and labels. The boots caught your eye and you fell in love. Now you know they're affordable as well. Don't hate on something you love just because it's not designer.

sounds like you already have your answer
I'm guessing places like H&M and Zara make something similar to stay on trend

I know. I'm sure my girlfriend will love them but I myself am not a fan of synthetics.

chalayan is pretty cool

Issey hasn't designed the RTW in over a decade iirc

Sorry but this is pretty autistic and talking for the sake of talking, there is no dialogue. Jfc that street snap is basic af and you wrote an entire paragraph for it. Wtf man. That's just retarded

Discussion here is only cool when it's about shit going on right now and where fashion is going, not reposting >inspo (which is for amateurs anyways) and trying to dissect it beyond "yo x and y about this is cool to me"

it's a forced echo chamber of cringe

street snaps are shitposting, not me
also i'm trying to talk about specific things i like in an effort to get people here more interested in the details and fashion design in general
if you want to discuss where fashion is going, feel free! I think that runway design will continue to divide into two main houses: "artistic/statement" fashion design a la current CdG as more people jump on the anti-fashion train (which is already prevalent in relatively underground fashion shows); and clothing more oriented toward innovation/tech integration (modern examples of this are junya, issey, aitor throup, chalayan) as we continue to improve 3D printing and fabric technology. What are your opinions on the subject?

20 years actually
his design team does put out some cool stuff though

I actually found OPs commentary pretty interesting. Those other 2 posts were obvious troll

by my two main houses i don't mean to neglect long-established big name designers like LV, Gucci, etc
but I don't really pay attention to them much; while i respect them for being essentially a showcase of what influential people are wearing today, I think they're tacky and they cater to an audience I don't care for.

Anyway, I'd imagine that they would follow the influence of innovative (i.e. nxtlvl) designers, but slowly, so more tech/design-oriented clothing would slowly make its way into the mainstream.

This is a giant walking birthday cake made out of fabric. I would just like to share this with you.
What is fashion, really?

>talking about things i like
>to get others interested

something isn't connecting here how are you expecting random readers to become interested in fashion design just because you're elaborating on things that may or may not align with their own interests

i don't want to discuss where fashion is going because all relevant discussion of industry operations has happened in the last 2 seasons, particularly after the women's shows in september / october. the discussion / conversation has already been had for the most part, there is no more food for thought until next season.

>artistic/statement
>cdg

very lazy, doesn't say anything

>anti-fashion train
>relatively "underground fashion shows"

what did he mean by this?

>tech shit

nobody in the industry talks about this it is a very niche subsection and a parallel current but not relevant enough nor will it be for a long ass time, "future fashions" have been a thing for like 20 years now yet it's pretty much at the same place it was then

>what are your opinions

on what wtf am i supposed to say about that it is a non-discussion

>LV and Gucci
>tacky

see this is how i can see you know nothing about where fashion stands today, which was already painfully obvious but anyways

ghesquieres shit at lv is the epitome of like "good taste" within the industry and gucci tacky? shit where the fuck have you been for the last 2 years

>fucking massive conglomerate commercial corporations
>following influence of innovative designers

?

+ what if i told you that those very people WERE the "nxtlvl" designers but you just dont know about it

>but I don't really pay attention to them much; while i respect them for being essentially a showcase of what influential people are wearing today, I think they're tacky
I was ready to listen to your opinions until I read this. This one statement shows how ignorant and shallow your understanding of fashion design is. In failing to look beyond the heavily branded items that large fashion houses put out you're showing yourself to be no better than those who consume those tasteless offerings.

A fashion house promotes its core image, but it's up to the creative directors to shape that image and sometimes to throw it out the window and start over (Decarnin as a prime example). A house should not be discounted merely because of the name or because of previous associations.

Your Gucci example is a perfect example. Alessandro Michele's recent Gucci collections have been fantastic and yet you refuse to look because they put out some money makers like monogram belts.

I think Chalayan is severely underrated today. Even though his work and his innovations have secured their spot in fashion history, few people really pay attention to his collections outside of his table dress or his "wearable art" pieces. I think the last time we had a runway discussion thread I was discussing Chalayan with someone and how his politics could still be considered relevant today. Here's an excerpt from his book.

>A house should not be discounted merely because of the name or because of previous associations.

Say it louder for the people in the back!

>Issey is a greater designer than Dior
Are you high? It would be more appropriate to say he's the greatest of the 21st century so far.